Oil/air seperater box

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Oil/air seperater box

Post by rn240sx »

Does anyone know if these get clogged over time ..?? My Pcv has not been in use in a LONG time, I removed the 4 hoses from the runners and sealed the ports on The manifold and just took the hose off the Pcv and just shot it straight down ... I knew what the Pcv was for but back then I didn't really give 2 ***** about it, only to remove any possible boost leaks in the near future ...
Now that the Pcv has been in the CLOSED position for a long time due to no vacuum pull from the manifold and my blow by is venting from the valve cover, is It possible that the oil/air seperater box that the Pcv attaches to can get clogged up ..??

I am about to re-do my Pcv and valve cover setup and do it ~right this time, just need to know if I should buy a new separator box ...
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
ViperGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Oil/air seperater box

Post by ViperGT »

try and empty it they get full of milkshake and water on a built engine with blow by. you should be able to blow through the feed hose to the box easily. also the PCV on the timing cover only works with vaccum.
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Replace the PCV valve with a 3/8" hose barb if you are going to continue to run VTA.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

rn240sx wrote:Does anyone know if these get clogged over time ..?? My Pcv has not been in use in a LONG time, I removed the 4 hoses from the runners and sealed the ports on The manifold and just took the hose off the Pcv and just shot it straight down ... I knew what the Pcv was for but back then I didn't really give 2 ***** about it, only to remove any possible boost leaks in the near future ...
Now that the Pcv has been in the CLOSED position for a long time due to no vacuum pull from the manifold and my blow by is venting from the valve cover, is It possible that the oil/air seperater box that the Pcv attaches to can get clogged up ..??

I am about to re-do my Pcv and valve cover setup and do it ~right this time, just need to know if I should buy a new separator box ...

i dunno about that ViperGT. yeah its a check valve but it opens at the slightest pressure. i was blowing on a new replacement one lol. with that said, air, sound, flow etc is lazy... it takes the path of least resistance. so its like going out your VC, but if you pluged your VC (i am not suggesting) it would surly breathe out your PCV. theres plenty of windage etc a idle you should be able to feel your PCV and VC pushing air out.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Right now The hose coming off the Pcv is VTA ... So there is no vacuum pulling the Pcv open to extract the crankcase fumes ...
Also right now I have a hose from the valve cover going into a glass bottle catching my blow by which looks like milk ... Lol but my oil pan oil is clean ... !!
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I seriously doubt that the air/oil separator box can get clogged. If you've ever looked at the insides of one, it's fairly open. You'd have to run some serious gunk through it for it to get clogged. However, the PCV valve is a pretty small opening with a spring holding it close, so they can definitely get clogged. The PCV is still a lot more restricted than your VC vent. If you don't replace it with a straight-through hose barb, most of your blowby will come out of your VC vent.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

adamky wrote:I seriously doubt that the air/oil separator box can get clogged. If you've ever looked at the insides of one, it's fairly open. You'd have to run some serious gunk through it for it to get clogged. However, the PCV valve is a pretty small opening with a spring holding it close, so they can definitely get clogged. The PCV is still a lot more restricted than your VC vent. If you don't replace it with a straight-through hose barb, most of your blowby will come out of your VC vent.
yea the Pcv is def closed cause there is no vacuum source to it to open it up, but all my e85 and milky oil blow by is def coming out the valve cover ....
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

the pcv valve i had... i think it was an autostore replacement but it had no spring. if you flipped it over, the valve would fall open. at even the slightest pressure.... which yor CC has, it was open. i later went on to drill the fitting out though. stick your finger over the tube at idle and youll see. every KA ive had has moved air out the pcv and vc at idle.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

How about this setup…??

Remove the pcv and place a normal 3/8 npt to hose barb…. (to replace the pcv)
Attach a hose to the hose barb….
The other end of the hose to a catch can…
The other end of the catch can to the turbo inlet….
The valve cover gets a filter…

So now while at idle & cruising & under boost, the turbo is sucking out the crank case gas while the valve cover is allowing fresh air to go in ..??

Correct me if I'm wrong here but is "looks" like a good setup to keep extracting the crankcase gas… even while under boost….
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
feito
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by feito »

if u are running a draw through maf setup you got to either hook up both, breather and pcv, or vta both. Think about it, when u vta only one of them you are letting un-metered air into your engine wich will result in a rich air/fuel mixture.
Now if you are running a map setup you can do whatever the hell you want...
Also, your turbo inlet wont create enough suction during idle nor at cruising speeds to git rid of all your crankcase vapors. That's why the pcv is connected to a vacuum source. The vacuum produced on your intake side during idle and cruising speeds is way stronger than the suction on the turbo inlet. The turbo inlet is effective mostly during higher rpm or under load.
If you really care about having a clean crankcase there's no better more effective way than running both, your pcv valve to am intake vacuum source and your breather to your turbo inlet. If you want to clean up your engine and have less boost leak sources either vent them both, or hook up your breather to your turbo inlet and cap your pcv sources. Just be prepared to do your oil changes more often.
ken240sx wrote:Taking the head off takes literally 20 minutes in a de.
:bash:
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

air goes out your valve cover. you need to do the same thing with the pcv as you do the vc as they are both pushing air - start your car and see for yourself. its not possible to get one to flow in and the other to flow out. the whole point of a barb in place of the pcv is for vta. if your going to run it to the intake pipe id keep the seperator box. you have pretty much two options. both of them to a breather catch can. OR both of them to a sealed catch can (with separator) and then to your intake.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

sdaigle240 wrote:air goes out your valve cover. you need to do the same thing with the pcv as you do the vc as they are both pushing air - start your car and see for yourself. its not possible to get one to flow in and the other to flow out. the whole point of a barb in place of the pcv is for vta. if your going to run it to the intake pipe id keep the seperator box. you have pretty much two options. both of them to a breather catch can. OR both of them to a sealed catch can (with separator) and then to your intake.
Yes you were right… I put the barb fitting where the PCV was and cranked up the motor and air was blowing out the VC… And the Barb fitting hardly has any air coming out of it… Why i don't know..
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

fluid, air, sound are all lazy, they'll take the path of least resistance. due to the VC being a pretty straight shot for the air to go and the PCV having to dance through the separator you could say its easier for the air to go out the VC. picture a pail with two holes in it, if one holes bigger or "easier" the majority of the water will go out that hole over the small one. plug the big hole and now all the water will go out the small hole. whatevers easiest for it.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

sdaigle240 wrote:fluid, air, sound are all lazy, they'll take the path of least resistance. due to the VC being a pretty straight shot for the air to go and the PCV having to dance through the separator you could say its easier for the air to go out the VC. picture a pail with two holes in it, if one holes bigger or "easier" the majority of the water will go out that hole over the small one. plug the big hole and now all the water will go out the small hole. whatevers easiest for it.
Here is the next question....

Do you think that 5/8 vc breather alone is enough to release all the airflow of the crankcase while the motor is under boost since that's when it's creating the most airflow or should I use both the hose barb and the vc ??
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Use both. If you're not going to be pulling vacuum on the crank case, the next best thing is to make sure it has plenty of orrifices to ensure there is little to no pressure buildup.
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

oh yeah more is better. i was looking to weld two more fittings to the back of my VC so i have 4 total on the car.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll probably do the same when I go turbo.

Although, I was looking through a Jegs catalog last night. They have electric vacuum pumps for $265. I wonder how well they would work? I'd love to have some way to maintain vacuum in the crankcase if I could.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

sdaigle240 wrote:oh yeah more is better. i was looking to weld two more fittings to the back of my VC so i have 4 total on the car.
ran into this picture as well as MANY others about different crankcase evacuation methods… as soon as i read yours i was like.. hmm i saw something similar to what you want to do...
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
darrell
NooB

Post by darrell »

adamky wrote:
Although, I was looking through a Jegs catalog last night. They have electric vacuum pumps for $265. I wonder how well they would work? I'd love to have some way to maintain vacuum in the crankcase if I could.
You can find used brake vacuum pumps on eBay.

With my current setup I'm pulling vacuum from the intake manifold (check valve inline) as well as using a VW 8E0 927 317 brake vacuum pump for vacuum under boost. I have my AEM configured to turn it on I think after 25% throttle.
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

someone recently had posted slim details on a vac setup using a pump that was all of 20-30 bucks. i asked for more details but dont hink i got em and to be honest cant remember the user at this point. wouldn't mind doing it at some point.