Electrical Grimlin, 3 Fried ECU's. Please help

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Electrical Grimlin, 3 Fried ECU's. Please help

Post by AFKOUKI »

So I'll start off saying I hate wiring. I also have no experience with a multimeter but do have access to one. Here is my issue.

So driving the car from GA to FL I hit a hard transition from bridge to road on the interstate and the car shut off. 30 Minutes on the side of the highway and I realized the red light on my ecu was not on. Luckily I had a spare enthalpy ecu in my back seat. I plugged it in and drove the rest of the 300 miles. I daily drove the car for a week without issue. That following weekend I installed a boost controller and took it out for a test drive. Took a corner after leaving a stop sign and the car died again, same issue. Pushed it home and emailed martin at enthalpy. Turns out I fried the same pin on both computers, Martin said it was a common thing when someone's maf grounds out. I sent the ecu in for repair and rewired the maf to make sure it was super clean. There was a slightly freyed wire so I assumed this was the issue. Car was down for a while while I was cleaning things up, painting the intercooler piping and stuff. Last weekend I was finally able to get it back on the road. Drove it around the neighborhood for a good warmup and then went to pull onto the main road outside the neighborhood. As soon as I made the left turn onto the main road the car stumbled and then a puff of smoke came from the ecu and I was dead in the water with a third fried ecu. This is where I am now.

I pushed the car back to the house and did some digging. The EGI fuse was blown. I put the test light on it, and with the key on I had power to BOTH sides of the blown fuse. I did some reading and decided I probably had a short, so I had a friend hold the test light onto the harness side of the fuse and it lost power when I unplugged the brown plug on the IACV. This would explain the random wonky idle I was experiencing, so I Figured there was a short somewhere in the harness inside the intake manifold. I pulled off the intake manifold and took the harness out and peeled back all the tape and didn't find anything. Could a bad IACV cause the fuse to blow and fry the ecu, or am I looking in the completely wrong area. Please help!!
Gotenks64
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Electrical Grimlin, 3 Fried ECU's. Please help

Post by Gotenks64 »

What pin on the ECU is frying?
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
iamxchris
Learners Permit

Re: Electrical Grimlin, 3 Fried ECU's. Please help

Post by iamxchris »

Late but take a look at your mad wiring and make sure it is correct. Martin from Enthalphy told me there is a wrong diagram floating around the Internet. Also check fender harness. Good luck