KA24DE oil pump options

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
s14boy
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

KA24DE oil pump options

Post by s14boy »

Hello all my name is mike and I have been building turbo ka's for some time now and have not yet make a very useful post on this forum so hope this will help some of you guys and gals out.

so if you don't know by now the lower timing cover has been discontinued by Nissan. so this leaves us with all the aftermarket options out there. this post will go over one aftermarket brand that i have purchased and replaced with all oem Nissan internals that can still be purchased new.

please send me pictures and details about any other brands you guys try out or simply post here so we can find the best aftermarket brand for our motors.

i decided to go with JIS Engines as it was only 102 for the unit. when i recieved the unit i first noticed that it was not made to the same standard that the oem unit was. It seamed much brittler than the oem unit. it also had air bubbles in the cast. the surfaces were very smooth and provided a great matting surface. here are some pictures of the air bubbles(Mind you i am a perfectionist so maybe this is perfectly ok with you)
next here are the comparisons on the internals.
JIS on left oem on right
JIS uses a flanged bolt to hold the oil pressure spring in and no crush washer while the oem is a larger hex head with an aluminum crush washer.
on the oem piston the bottom has a chamfered and the JIS unit is not.

The springs appear to be identical. i did not do a test on their spring force tho to test this Image
aftermarket looks and feels like the oem oil drive gear beside the inside edge is not finished so is still rough.
oem
hotbox240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: KA24DE oil pump options

Post by hotbox240 »

OEM casting is definitely better. This happened on my cheap aftermarket front cover. Image
s14boy
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by s14boy »

yes i agree but sadly they are no longer in production so we are forced to find an alternative. thanks for the picture and post! btw what brand is that so we can steer clear and see if any others had a similar issue with that brand.
hotbox240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by hotbox240 »

I'm not really sure of the brand, I just know it was aftermarket (engine builder ordered it). I was fortunate enough to get an OEM cover right before they went out of production.
12.43 @ 115.06 - 05/2010
12.28 @ 117.61 - 08/2016