KA24DE Valve Guide upgrade issue

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
lazysk8er2
NooB

KA24DE Valve Guide upgrade issue

Post by lazysk8er2 »

Currently am building my s13 KA24DE for boost. I ran into a problem with the valve guides. Attached to this post is a picture. In there you will see on the left is the oem valve guide, and on the right is the BC valve guide I purchased. The one pictured is specifically the exhaust valve guide.

As you can see it is about half an inch longer. The intake guides went in fine and saw no issue. I contacted BC and they told me this length is ok and could be trimmed only for preference. It seems excessive to be off by this much.

Is this added length a fix for an issue I don't know about? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Attachments
LEFT:OEM/RIGHT:BC VALVE GUIDE
LEFT:OEM/RIGHT:BC VALVE GUIDE
lazysk8er2
NooB

Re: KA24DE Valve Guide upgrade issue

Post by lazysk8er2 »

Just in case anyone was wondering we ended up trimming the exhaust valve guides. The company told me it was ok to use as is, however when put into the head, it sat way too far into the port. It covered a big portion of the valve too.

My machine shop said that will abstruct exhaust flow.

Check the pics below. Quick rough measurements of the OEM and aftermarket guide. It's a big difference in length.
Attachments
IMG_8162.JPG
IMG_8161.JPG
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks for updating the thread. My machine shop installed my BC guides, so I didn't realize they were different lengths than stock
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
lazysk8er2
NooB

Post by lazysk8er2 »

If you can check to see if they are having the same issue that would be great! These are specifically the exhaust valve guides. The intakes went in fine.