Timing Issue Nonissue help

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
Gangreens14
Dreams of owning a 240!

Timing Issue Nonissue help

Post by Gangreens14 »

It has been quite a while since I have posted on Kat.org. I built my turbo KA about 6 years ago and had trouble free as kicking serice from it for 4 years. I had a turbo eat itself and send shaving into the pan somehow causing my regulator valve in my oil pump to stick and create a low oil pressure situation. I rebuilt the motor because of this as a precaution. After getting it all back together and installed I fired it up for the first run with 0 issues. I was pleased. Checked TPS to ensure it was spot on and it was. Long story short it is freakin prefect. Vacuum at 22 idles perfectly. Being that it is fresh I want to break it in under some boost and moderate rpm like a good boosted motor should. 1st start I let it get hot and drive it around my property to make sure all is ok. Tests perfect. I start it today to take it for the 1st 10 min ride before I change the oil. I put a timing light on it. To get it to 20 btdc I have to turn the dist. 3/4 of the way to the right side of the oval on the distributor adjustor section on the top mount. After about 30 seconds the 20* mark on the crank pulley starts to jump around on me. Now it's between 15 and 20*. I remember to take off the TPS wires. I do that. It now is around 10 btdc. So the 2nd line on the crank pulley. Now I'm almost at the red tdc mark. So I loosen the 10mm bolt on the dist. And start to move it. To get it to 20* it has to be all the way to the left side of that adjustor oval. But when I put it there it runs like ****. When I put it in the middle of this adjustor oval section like it was for the last 4 years on the old motor it runs awesome and idles great and has perfect vacuum and perfect throttle response. Afrs are about 12 but I'm expecting to have to have Martin at R.S. tweek my tune. So no issue there. Every page I read the person has the same distributor issue as me but their car runs like **** which is not my case. Almost all also have low vacume and bogging under throttle. A common issue is the lower chain being a tooth off. So I started to think maybe I was a tooth off. OK maybe. But if so if I lined everything else up correctly wouldn't it JUST make my dist act a few degrees more advanced or retarded than it is? Basically saying mine shouldnt be a tooth off. If anything the whole setup on the lower end is just a tooth off causing this issue. But the actual timing should be spot on. Its just reading incorrect right? Is there another way to see what timing the motor is actually getting other than relying on the crank markings? I have yet to drive it. I am afraid to to be honust. It's a catch 22 at this point and I'm at the end of my knowledge here. I have searched to the point of looking on freaking Honda forums to find a similar issue lol.
97 240sx
-550cc's -Enthalpy -Cp's
-Hks ssqv -Aem Wideband -15psi
-White Bunny -Innovative Wg
-j30 -Garrett .50 Stg II
-315/35/17 meats -Walboro 255
-Never Finished