KA24DE 6 Speed VQ

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
S14ILKA
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

KA24DE 6 Speed VQ

Post by S14ILKA »

I came across two CD009 transmissions for stupid cheap, wasn't even intending to go 6 speed just needed a trans that wasn't about to explode. For those that don't know CD009 comes in 2007 and up 350Z, 370Z, G35, G37. It's supposed to be bullet proof and size comparison it's bigger then T56.
First I've started looking into adapter plates to bolt CD009 to KA24, but after doing some research and measuring for myself I've came to conclusion that input shaft splines will not be fully engaged into the clutch disk. Don't remember exactly but even after milling 10mm off the bellhousing you will be only engaged 10mm into 25mm clutch disk. I've done these measurements long time ago and lost the paper work, either way it will not work. This is mostly caused by VQ using dual mass flywheels, which are super thick and space clutch back further into the bell housing. One solution that might work is to buy an adapter plate with JWT flywheel (which is just a 350Z lightweight flywheel drilled for KA24 6 bolt crank, instead of 8 bolt). I didn't try this so don't quote me.
Either way being a cheap ass that I am, I've tried a next thing that came to my mind. Cut 350Z bell housing and KA24 and weld them together, while eliminating extra thickness for dual mass flywheel. Again don't remember exact measurement. This didn't work because housings aren't really close to each other in shape. VQ bell housing is just too big.
KA24 Bellhousing on CD009 1
KA24 Bellhousing on CD009 1
After this failure I've just ordered JWT adapter plate, Flywheel, and got myself Auto KA24DE bell housing. Cut CD009 bell housing clean off. Bolted on JWT adapter plate
Cut off
Cut off
trans and adapter
trans and adapter
trans build 1
trans build 1
trans together no bell
trans together no bell
Had to make my own clutch line because sending stock 350z clutch line through bellhousing won't work. Because I've tried, notice holes in bellhousing.
clutch line
clutch line
clutch line routed
clutch line routed
Flywheel comparison.
RB25 flywheel VS JWT flywheel. Previously had RB25 flywheel and 350Z clutch
flywheels
flywheels
Transmission on with mount made from some square bar and shortened shifter bracket. Clutch bled and works fine.
trans mounted
trans mounted
clutch hoses
clutch hoses

Car isn't finished yet, had to get side lined in order to finish a build for someone. As soon as I'm finished I will jump back on it.
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: KA24DE 6 Speed VQ

Post by street_240sx »

Seems like alot of extra work. I have 2 different adapter plates for vq trans to the ka. You just have to mill the vq bellhousing. Maverick and collins make adapter
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
S14ILKA

Post by S14ILKA »

I've originally thought about going that way, but after doing some measuring and calculations it's a sure way to rip your input shaft splines. They will only engage about 10-12mm after you machine your bellhousing. Total engagement of the clutch disk splines is 25mm.

That's why I went with this kit.
KaTKO
NooB

Post by KaTKO »

I mean no disrespect but I believe you are a bit off on your calculations. Measuring from the edge of the splines on the disk to the block is about 2 3/8”. Measuring the same distance from the mating surface of the trans inward it puts the input shaft about 3/4 of an inch into the disk which is more than enough.
KaTKO
NooB

Post by KaTKO »

street_240sx wrote: I have 2 different adapter plates for vq trans to the ka.
What is the thickness of both of the adapter plates? Are they the same? I’m in the process of doing the swap as well and haven’t decided on which adapter I want to use. The Collins adapter looks more professionally machined and Maverick is currently out of stock from what I hear.

If the adapter plates are 14mm thick and the bell housing has to be milled 14mm then that confirms that the input shaft will be 3/4 of the way into the clutch disk.
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

I have 1 maverick and 1 autotech. I havent used either yet. My buddy has a maverick one on his 1jz and works great. Chris Forsberg has used the maverick one on his "missle" car
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
S14ILKA

Post by S14ILKA »

KaTKO wrote:I mean no disrespect but I believe you are a bit off on your calculations. Measuring from the edge of the splines on the disk to the block is about 2 3/8”. Measuring the same distance from the mating surface of the trans inward it puts the input shaft about 3/4 of an inch into the disk which is more than enough.
Here are my measurements, they don't include the thickness of the plate. So with adapter plate you won't have full engagement of the clutch splines.
Lets say my measurements are wrong and it's 3/4" of an inch engagement which you say (highly doubt it), it's still a 1/4" of short of KA input shaft engagement. IDK I'm stepping up in power so I definitely not looking for less strength. Ever seen input shaft splines twisted off?
350z clutch disk splines are about 1" as far as I remember.
Attachments
My measurements
My measurements
S14ILKA

Post by S14ILKA »

DRFTPUNK
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by DRFTPUNK »

What did you use for a driveshaft? Are the output splines and shaft the same? Im looking at a kit by LOJ that looks good but not keen on buying a new DS as well.

https://www.lojkits.com/products/350z-t ... d-flywheel
supakat wrote:I will tell you one thing, if I had to choose between stretched tires and stretched pu$$y, I would go with tires.

S14 Zenki, GT35, 80lb injectors, RS Enthalpy tune, Eagle/ Wiseco 8.8/1.
Formerly Known as ISpentAllMyMoneyOnTires

RIP 480sx