Catch can flow restriction

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Catch can flow restriction

Post by rn240sx »

http://i67.tinypic.com/20hovuu.jpg

So as you look at the black catch can above the fuel filter and to the left of the blue fuel press sensor, you see the left side of the catch can is the exit to a hose that runs under the car... no oil gets out because the catch can is oil separator ... to the right is the catch can inlet which i have a hose then to a 5/8 Y adaptor then the Y adaptor recieves crankcase pressure / blow by from the valve cover breather and the "modified" (straight thru fitting) pcv below, all hoses are 5/8 ... and all fittings are 5/8 ...
My question is do you think that Y adaptor poses any air flow restriction from the motor properly exhausting its crankcase pressure .... or do you think its ok ..??
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Re: Catch can flow restriction

Post by tuzzio »

Start the car and put your hand over the PCV or VC breather. Ask your self if you really think that thing is restricting.

I don't believe so. A 5/8 line is a pretty good size line.

But geez, what a cluster ***** of awful looking hoses and fittings.
flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Catch can flow restriction

Post by flip240 »

I also don't think there's much restriction, your setup should be fine. But I'm not a fan of vent to atmosphere PCV systems (but everyone does it), I'd rather see the PCV hooked up to the exhaust or intake to provide suction on the crankcase, but these are difficult to plumb imo.

Regardless, I also have my crankcase PCV changed to a striaght through fitting with a 3/8" hose going to a Evo PCV on a canister; the end goes back to an intake manifold vacuum source. My VC PCV goes to a canister then routed back to the intake before the turbo.

my semi-rigged setup
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T