One more SOHC turbo...

Introduce Yourself Here First!
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

One more SOHC turbo...

Post by mikerbike »

I've had this done for a couple of months, I just always forget to stop by and show it.

I bought the car for really cheap. Originally, I was planning on SR swapping it (Just like all the other Honda guys, I know). Right after I bought it, though. I sold the engine out of it for almost as much as I bought it for, plus, He gave me his engine that ran fine but smoked. I was bored, waiting for money to build up so I rebuilt the other engine with an Ebay Topline rebuild kit just so I wouldn't have a car sitting around, immobile. After a while, I met some people online that had turbo'd their single cams with pretty good success. Then, that fateful day when I finally got a ride in an SR20'd 240. It was more squishy in the low end than any Honda I've ever owned, yeah, I've been through a couple hondas...

The KA powerband just lacked top-end, so I read some more and asked a few questions and spent a bit more and... Well, here it is...

I already had a few turbochargers, so I really just needed a manifold. Gladman to the rescue... He was awesome to deal with. The manifold works great by the way.
Starion intercooler... I just ordered a different one today. (10/8/06)
I have a 1G Rx-7 radiator right now. It has enough room on both sides for charge piping. I'm going to go through where the battery tray goes when I get my new intercooler.

Here's what it looks like now.

I spent a whole $20 on this paintjob...
...And about $0 on this guage mount... Came with the car. No joke, it's made of wood.
It made 175 HP @ ?5300? and 250 FT/LBS @ ?3300? with 5 psi. I finally got some injectors and a boost controller. I am running 9 psi now.

'89 KA24E, rebuilt to stock specs
Gladman Performance down 45 degree manifold w/35mm wastegate flange
Saab 900 turbine housing and shaft with Z31 comp. housing, comp. wheel and wet bearing section
Stone Racing 35mm wastegate, cut spring to 5 psi
Vortech 12:1FMU
'88 Mazda MX-6 Turbo injectors
Homemade charge piping
Starion intercooler
1G RX-7 radiator
15" Progressive (Generic) wheels.
205/60/15 Nankang EX-601 front tires
Any tire I can find for the rear :?

Coming soon...
T3/T4 turbocharger (trying to pic it up this week)
2.5" IC piping (up from 2")
intercooler w/2.5" inlet/outlet
Bigger injectors (I don't even know what size the MX6 injectors are) :oops:
Z31 MAF
Welded diff.
I'd like to try an oil cooler system. Any suggestions?
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

first off welcome to ka-t.org. second how's that topline kit working out for you, it gets horrible reviews here. third it's great to see you chose ka for it's tourquey powerband. the setup looks great. anyways try to get at least an safc so you can get a better tune out of your setup. i'm sure you can achieve more power. good luck.
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
Calesta
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Calesta »

Awesome. Another Honda guy. :)

That's a heap load of torque for that power level! Are you running out on the top end?

I love the line of ED/EFs.

How recently did you get the manifold made by Jordan?
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

The Topline head gasket broke about a week after I turbocharged it, which was about a year and about 500 miles after I rebuilt it. Yeah, I didn't drive it much...

Not so much a Honda guy as a car guy that had a couple Hondas... I still have one. The white CRX with a B18A1 and GS-R transmission.
Yeah, I was surprised at the torque number too. I was running out at the top end at 5 psi. Now, at 9psi, it pulls hard all the way to redline.
It must have been early June that I bought the manifold. I had everything else collected but charge piping and the manifold. It was only one day of down time to have it running again. That was with no BOV though. I didn't have the right size pipe to weld on the charge piping. I drove it around a bit without it. Compressor surge sure sounds cool, for how much damage it causes...

I picked up the new Turbo today. I got it for $150. It's a Garrett. he says it needs a rebuild, so I probably won't put it on until I get a few more things gathered. Here it is next to my Airesearch M10/Nissan T25.

Calesta

Post by Calesta »

That's good that you're running full boost to the top now. Your dyno chart must have looked really funky.

Junkyard turbo the B18! You can get a lot out of a small T28 or DSM turbo.
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

Calesta wrote:That's good that you're running full boost to the top now. Your dyno chart must have looked really funky.

Junkyard turbo the B18! You can get a lot out of a small T28 or DSM turbo.
It stayed at 5 psi up to redline, just wasn't very peaky. Now it is.

Actually, have almost everyting needed to turbo the B18 with a T3, including the T3. There is some fitment issues with the radiator and the turbo manifold since the CRX engine room is smaller than that of the Integra. If I keep it, I want to try ITBs. If not, I'd like to trade it for a 4WD Civic wagon and turbocharge that...

Uhh.. I did some upgrades...

I bought a different intercooler...

I made some bigger charge piping...

I instaled a different style BOV... (I know this isn't a real blow off valve. I was just trying to show someone where I wantet to put it.) I ended up putting it in back of the intake pipe, just in case I wanted use the recirculated one again.

THis intercooler fills the opening a lot better than the starion unit. It's a generic Ebay special. $90 If it doesn't work, I'll try to JB weld some bigger pipes on the Starion cooler.
Fizor
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Fizor »

Go SOHC 8)
Old setup: Stock Motor SOHC @ 10 PSI
Currently under construction..
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

I broke the Head gasket again. This time it's a water leak into the cylinder. I bought an HP gasket and some head studs from AMS. I'll see how that works.
boosted91s13
240sx Wannabe

Post by boosted91s13 »

WELCOME TO KA-T :D I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY!
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

Back from the dead. Now I've got a DE, still putting together the T.

Here's my story...
The last time the 24ET blew up, I traded a TII swapped FC vert to a friend for a Stock SR5 Corolla with chopped springs.
I sold the 24E turbo kit and put the money toward a 20V engine for my corolla.
I finally got the 240 running with an NA KA and proceeded to drift my life away.
Eventually, the E broke the timing chain guide and I swapped in a CA18DET.
I no longer like CA18DETs..

While I had those, I bought an SR swapped 240 coupe. It was fun. Seemed to have a much better torque band than the CA.
My friend had put it together and then realized he had other hobbies so I started to finish it.
Then my friend wrecked my hatch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDc0jK_e8Kc
Nothing happened when he hit the log, but as the car was teetering on the corner of the road, it dented the frame rail up about 6 inches.
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

So i bought a blue coupe and a red hatch to replace it.
I ended up selling the red one and keeping the coupe. I rebuilt the engine in it a month or so before I bought it. It's probably got about 6k miles on it now. I don't take good pictures. Sorry.
So far I've got a CX T25 manifold, SR T25, Ebay turbo elbow, Megan DP, PLMS daughterboard , CX intercooler, and a few pieces of IC piping.

As I am collecting parts, I am also swapping all of the 'good stuff' out of my black coupe into a gaudy yellow hatch and changing the intercoolet to a high-mount setup. Now that I have 2 racing seats in the coupe, it's a PITA to put tires in the back seat to bring to events. It's a pretty stupid reason to swap all that stuff, but the hatch was free (as partial payment for wrecking my cars).

I don't think I'll start a built thread, because it's a pretty popular setup. Just thought I'd post to say I'm back. I want to feel the torque again!! :twisted:
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

Change of plans again...

My friend bumped my car into the wall at a drift event.
In my mind, it was totalled. The whole rear end was pushed over an inch or two. I had to roll my driver rear fender just so I could keep driving.
Well, the rest of the event was a success, in that I had a killer time.
That night, my friend bought me another shell to swap over my parts. It was a good gesture.
Then, a couple days later, while I was still daily driving the bent car, some kid asks me if i'd trade him for an RB20 Hatch with a little less suspension stuff, junkier wheels and junkier coilovers. I told him I would, but it would take about $400 to make his car as cool as mine, suspension-wise and he immediately offered $400 on top. So I met up with him and tested the car out. No power steering so I told him no thanks.
later that night, he offered me $1000 on top. This should be a no-brainer, yeah? Well I really wanted to try my hand at KA-T again so I kinda blew him off for a few days. Then I was thinking about all the stuff I'd have to swap off my blue car onto the new shell and I got lazy and told him I'd trade. Turns out he was serious all along. $1000 and a clean(er) car with a decent swap for a totalled car that I had my way with.

Interesting month. See you around.
Last edited by mikerbike on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

I just realized you can see the big blue scrape on the wall in one of those pics. That's where my friend ruined my car.
IneedBoost
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by IneedBoost »

stop letting friends drive your car...
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

I can't help it. I need to share the joy. Haha

Well the shell he bought me had an engine in it that wasn't supposed to run. It does run, it was just out of fuel. So now I have a car to sell, a bunch of turbo parts to sell (most are sold already), another turbo car (I've had an SR'd car for a couple years now too) and $1000.

Plus, I sold the coilovers off the new car, sold the crappy seat, sold the wheels and got enough to get what I wanted. And, some lady already bumped my fender on the new car and the insurance company gave me $1056 for the damages. I'm so confused right now. Maybe I should let some other friends drive my cars eh?
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Mark Washington »

well stuff happens good time for widebody! are those P45 rotas? maybe TE looks good thow I like the offset. good luck!!
速い速い シルビア ターボターボ
Its not the size of the turbo,Its how you spool it.
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

yeah, P45R. I don't dare buy expensive wheels.

Nobody got any pictures of the RB car that day.
shift_jin

Post by shift_jin »

welcome
contact me for 5 lug hubs, aluminum uprighs, z32 e-brake assembly, and z32 calipers
z32 part-outs
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

So the strangest thing happened...

The RB developed a knock. So I traded it for my old KA and 6 wheels (4 of which I sold for $400) and swapped it into the white car. I forgot to update this thread. That was last August.

I still had a few parts from the turbo setup I had been piecing together. I decided to give it another shot. I traded some tires (free from the dead bin at my old work) for the PLMS Developements ECU I built last year. Shortly after, I got a good deal on an S14 Kouki turbocharger. Someone gave me a little intercooler for free. Then, I traded my stock exhaust manifold for an oil feed line and BOV.

A friend was going back to NA with his KA, so I helped him swap the manifold on in my garage. I took my exhaust manifold off on a Tuesday at 5:30PM, got his car running again at about 7, got mine running again (MAFless) at about 9PM, and had the car driving again on Saturday.

The next Saturday/Sunday, I took both of my cars to a drift event in Idaho, about 4 hours away. They both ran great.
http://vimeo.com/28018783
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsqaZYSO9c

The black one and the white one are mine, BTW.
koukidriver
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by koukidriver »

grass roots welcome to you
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

I don't know what that means.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

dude u just like to have fun, i love that. i also love your crazy story. lots of cars, lots of good fortune and lots of fun. rock on man.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Jackasknissan
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jackasknissan »

good to see older members still posting up once in a while, love the story dude.

glad to see you back with the ka -t.
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

Yeah, fun things are fun. And this car has been a really lucky deal for me. I always knew I wanted the low end power again. But, then again.. I can't decide whether I like the KA or the SR more. They've both got what I need, just at a different RPM. :lol:

I'm still running 6 psi on the KA. We did a 5th gear pull on the way back from Idaho. Started at 80, so, 3500rpm or so. The KA pulled pretty hard on the SR@11psi. But the high end of the SR is obviously better.
mikerbike
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mikerbike »

I went to another drift event. I left my SR at home for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8_Brcuk7U

Ended up breaking my turbo-manifold gasket about 6 hours into the flogging. It was used anyway. I reinstalled the turbo without it this time.