Blacice SLOOOOOOOOW KA-T build

Introduce Yourself Here First!
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

Whats up KA-T, I'm very new to the whole turbocharging scene so scold as needed but please feed me all the info you can as I am a big do-it-yourself person.
I have a S13, which I picked up in 2010 and did just a regular engine rebuild using a 1995 motor. I recently ripped down my stock 93 motor to clean up and start getting ready to turbo. I have read alot of forums, websites, magazines and such but would like to hear what you guys are using and doing with your motors. This will be a daily driver during the warmer midwest months and garaged whenever it snows, sleets or ices over.
I'm looking to make at least 300HP and stick with that for at 2yrs so a list of parts to get me there and what I can keep from stock will be helpful, thanks in advance guys and gals and look forward to hearing from you.
Last edited by blacice on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat2in4the0hat
NooB

Re: Hi guys

Post by Kat2in4the0hat »

Stock heads is cool, but stiffer valve springs and port and Polish is only beneficial, bottom end I always recommend on any turbo conversion. Personally I like ripping gears aka beating so a strong bottom is mandatory. Basics is a good piston rod compression ratio ( between 9:0:1-10:0:1area) lower compression for higher hp goals. Good bearings like clevite or acl and a machined/balanced crank. New timing, head gasket, water & oil pump, colder thermostat, engine oil cooler. There's a part that connects to the dizzy, forgot it's technical name but all new of those components. It's a simple achievable build if you a DIY, besides getting the rotating assembly balanced. Ppl say stock can hold 350whp, which is true, but nissan half balanced the ka24de crank which is still a civilian based sport car, not so much a performance vehicle, and the bearings take a beating which some ppl don't consider. Depends on your driving what route is more cost effective. Daily driver and turbo for me means getting beat on under heavy load every good weather and clear roadway opportunity.
If man can build it, man can fix it, man can make it better!!!
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

Thanks for the info, well I know for sure I can rebuild the head myself so it's pretty much getting the bottom end to the machine shop. I hope they don't kill me with the price, it's the only shop in 30mls or so.
Do you think the supertech pistons are good or should I get something else, they are right in my price range but if they're going to cost me double in 6 months I'd rather not.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

If you can hold your desires to 300whp then a stock bottom end will do you fine with proper tuning. Many people under-value a good tuning setup (Enthalpy + Wideband + SAFC or better aka Nistune/similar realtime piggyback or standalone) and inevitably ruin their engines.

It's almost guaranteed you'll want to turn up the boost - but then you'd be pushing my comfortable limits for a DD on a stock KA. If you have the money or are willing to wait and save, you can't go wrong with the Eagle + Wiseco combo and a set of clevite rod and main bearings. I don't know how much you're looking at spending at machining your block or your budget, but if you're willing to spend money there too the fella above you hit the nail on the head. If you buy new pistons, get them oversized and bring them to the shop and have the machinist match the bores to each piston. Take a look at the FSM, piston-wall clearance is in there somewhere. Balancing is worth the peace of mind for sure, couple hundred bucks to help insure a couple thousand sounds okay to me :)

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress, don't be afraid to ask questions!
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

after a lot of research and definitely looking at the prices I decided to keep the stock minus the pistons and rods. I will run the 300HP for a while and eventually in time turn it up a bit. I already secured the clevite goodies and slowly working my way up. I plan on taking the block to the shop in April, I should have all the parts by then.
I am kind of confused on the injectors to choose though, everyone uses something different and how big of a fuel pump should I get, Like you said airman, spend a couple hundred to insure a couple thousand.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

At the minimum you're going to want a walbro 255. That will be fine for your goals - in fact, that's what I ran with my setup, but was running out with 85lb precision top feeds but I was at the 400hp range. However they're prone to failure - I had one seize up on me and the second was on its way out when the car died. But for $70 you can have a few on hand haha. Honestly I'm out of the loop on quality fuel pumps, but I know Aeromotive has been used and I wanna say Bosch or Delphi have some in-line fuel pump options.

A fully balanced, cleaned up/machined engine with forged rods and pistons is going to be a happy engine for a long time if you set it up right and take care of it :D
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

Quick question for the turbo veterans, is a forged crank really necessary or can I just get a balanced crank and where would I get such from, thing is wife is getting me parts for the bottom end and she is telling me that no way in hell she's paying $1500 for that part. The pistons she can get without any issue.

Okay, so far I have been spending alot of time researching and reading other threads of motor or turbo builds. I find it funny and crazy at the same time that some guys spend so much on the parts needed for a build only to part it out. I know for a fact that us car guys are very unpredictable, I have built over 10 different subwoofer enclosues during a show season in WA so I understand, but my wife would kill me if I spent thousands on a build on to say "I dont want it anymore".
Since my build is going to take a looooooong time I figure I get quality parts also, but I am collecting what it seems everyone has alot of which tells me it works and the manufacturers are consistent.

When I said a loooooooooong time, I decided on going turbo back in october yet so far I have on hand BC valves, Supertech valve seals, Clevite main and rod bearings. I am in the process of taking the block and head to the shop to ensure tolerances are good for the build. Once I start amassing stuff I will start a build thread and put in pictures. the weathers getting nice again so its back back to laying carbon fiber.
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

I need a KA parts compass guys. Site suggestions etc. I live in a part of MO where the closest Walgreens is 25 minutes away.
I know I'm full of questions but with so much stuff on the net I'm starting to think just have a shop order the little **** for me. With the KA being the motor available for the US market the manufacturers sure did make a lot of SR parts. I have to scroll through the SR parts before I get to the KA stuff and when I get there I find either the intake or exhaust set of things, what the hell. Simple things like valve guides, stem seals, gaskets etc.

Airman and Kat2in4the0hat thank you for your input so far and I will say that I'm setting a budget for $1000. that's not including shop prices just parts, so if you have any site suggestions or places I can call please let me know.
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

Anyone here know how I can find turboholic, heard he was doing cams.
blacice
Learners Permit

Re: Blacice SLOOOOOOOOW KA-T build

Post by blacice »

So just like everyone else I'm stopped before I can even purchase the parts I needed to build my motor. I already have a manifold and turbo lined up so I'm going to source a SAFC and the Oil lines needed to run on my stock rebuilt setup at minimum boost until I can get the other motor put together. If anyone has a BOV I can use with a T28 please let me know so I can purchase, I'm still a newb at this stuff, don't want to buy a BOV and it wont work for what I have.
blacice
Learners Permit

Re: Blacice SLOOOOOOOOW KA-T build

Post by blacice »

I held off on the motor build because of financial stuff and it seems that on all the small stuff I've been picking up I could have had my pistons by now. Found some 350Z seats, and snatched up some S13 rails to swap them in. I've been trying to source a 350Z waterfall dash piece to build a custom dash since last November and the guy gave it to me with the seats. Got some five lug hubs from surly on zilvia for my rears and just ran into a guy who has been messing with 240's since they first came out and he gave me a turbo (TD05) or something like that, i'll have to check the tag again but I haven't spent $250 with all this stuff. Hopefully with tax return I can pick up the pistons and rods and get that engine built after all. Getting all this donor stuff sure has motivated me to keep building my car.
blacice
Learners Permit

Post by blacice »

So its been over a year and motor is just now near completion. I will post some pics once I pick it up from the shop and start putting it back together.