Colorado owner looking at going turbo

Introduce Yourself Here First!
Colorado240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Colorado owner looking at going turbo

Post by Colorado240 »

Hey everyone at ka-t I have been checking out the site almost every nite for about a month and really wanna go the KA route because im not a big sr fan and every other route I would like is a little too pricey at this point (1/2JZ).

Im wanting about 300 or so hp and it needs to be as reliable as can be since it is my daily driver.

this is what ive been looking at for my build.

Turbonetic t3t4 turbo
Obx top mount turbo manifold
innovate wideband
tial 38 mm wastegate
Sti 550cc injectors
turbo xs bov or tial
walbro 255 fuel pump
new clutch
z32 maf
Turboback exhaust
and of course oil pan bung with turbo lines.. whst do you guys think? Im not sure what I want to do as far as ecu goes so im open to suggestions.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Re: Colorado owner looking at going turbo

Post by airman »

Hello and welcome to the community!

300hp can be reliable on a stock engine, but beware that boost is an addiction and you'll be wanting more at some point ;) So depending on your available funds, it may be worth looking into a built bottom end while everything is apart if you have bigger plans later.

Your list there looks good. I may suggest going a little bigger on the injectors so you won't have to worry about running out of fuel. Something around 700cc would make me feel comfortable for 300hp, anyway. For a clutch look up white bunny, it's a little more configurable now (it used to be, for the most part, a D21 flywheel and a 280zx turbo clutch) and it's proven in the community. If you already had something in mind it's only a suggestion, I only bring it up because you shouldn't try this on a stock clutch (you only say 'new clutch') :D

ECU there are a range of options. This depends on budget but it also shouldn't be an afterthought or somewhere that corners are cut - after all, the tune is where you make or break your setup. Jim Wolf/Enthalpy + SAFC works great for lower-hp setups but just like a stock engine, it can only get you so far. So this your end-goals also influence this area. On the other hand if you want to learn the ins and outs of tuning and make/understand your own tunes, I would suggest a Megasquirt/DIYPNP setup. I loved mine!

Good luck and re-re-re-research :)

edit: oh, my signature is relevant here I think 8)
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Colorado240

Post by Colorado240 »

Wow thanks for the input. Dont wanna have any fuel problems because my friends evo is having so many problems all due to fuel. I thought something like 700 would be too big but ill research more on that. I was looking at stage 2 clutch but ill check out the white bunny setup. Almost everyone I talk to is saying I shouldnt go this route, even one of colorados best performance shop said they wont touch a ka-t... idk how that makes me feel I just want it to be a decently quick dd that I take to slide around at practice events every once in awhile
Colorado240

Post by Colorado240 »

Also hows the clutch feel compared to stock I know most people hate it but I love the easy engage and disengage onthe oem style setups