wideband and narrowband

Discussion on Turbo electronics including Boost Controller, Turbo Timers, WideBands, etc
jasons13
240sx Wannabe

wideband and narrowband

Post by jasons13 »

so i have acquired a innovate lm1 for the cheaps, and was looking at display options. it has 2 programmable output signals, meaning you can emulate the signal going to the computer and to a gauge or whatever you want. i was looking at autometer cobalt gauges and noticed that for a wideband gauge (NOT the actual wdeband, just a display that the wb outputs to) they want $370! im thinking that if you output a narrowband signal (the narrowband gauge is cheaper by far) from a wideband, it should be quite accurate. any input on this would be great.
'91 240sx se abs/hicas/lsd... almost there
'05 SRT4
'89 'yota 4x4 <--DD
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

But it's only a narrowband. A wideband is 0-5v. A narrowband is 0-1v. A wideband is linear, meaning it's voltage changes with the AFR. A narrowband is not, and fluctuates greatly.
It will be an accurate narrowband, though.
The point of the narrowband output is to use in place of your stock O2. I have been running mine that way for a while.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Guys..... check out www.twosrus.com....... they have a wideband AFR gauge that is $59. I have seen them in person and the look great.... Ordering one next week :P
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

not from that site....because there is not on there
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

jasons13
240sx Wannabe

Post by jasons13 »

ummm... the product description says nothing about it being a wideband, its just a digital output. not sure about this.
'91 240sx se abs/hicas/lsd... almost there
'05 SRT4
'89 'yota 4x4 <--DD
UNISA JECS
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by UNISA JECS »

This guy is selling the autometer wideband gauge here for $125

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/212328-s ... -look.html
Rep/Feedbacks
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=134726

Z32 E-Brake/Parking Brake Heatshield Assemblys!!!
http://www.zilvia.net/f/sale-items/1667 ... plete.html

Rep/Feedbacks
dopeassjackson

Post by dopeassjackson »

the LM1 guage dosnt have a readout on the computer? i have the PLX M-300 its got both a on computer digital read out and a guage with a DRO and a seeping LED light show.
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

We've got a couple gauges of our own starting from $59. But you can use an LM-1 with a 10-bar display of the sort intended for narrow band sensors by reprogramming its outputs using the included CD. It doesn't have the same resolution as the gauges typically meant for wideband use, but it is good for quick at-a-glance use.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
LigouriRd.
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by LigouriRd. »

dopeassjackson wrote:the LM1 guage dosnt have a readout on the computer? i have the PLX M-300 its got both a on computer digital read out and a guage with a DRO and a seeping LED light show.
The LM-1 does have a readout for the computer. There is a serial output for updating firmware, downloading the logs and monitoring. I can observe and log my air/fuel ratios and the engine rpm (sorta..its noisy) realtime.

Innovate used to sell an simple cheap analog gage to use with the analog outputs. I believe it was something on the order of $50.
They do sell the digital gages separately from the wideband kits but they run about a bill: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcar ... 250&page=1
Since it shows your exact air/fuel ratio it is perfectly accurate.

Most of the narrowband air/fuel gages are merely voltmeters that read between 0 and 1v. You will just have to tweak the analog output so that 14.7 shows up at the correct point on the gage. I haven't seen any that actually show numbers so amount of richness you see will be relative and like said before not particularly accurate.
"There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, sleeve, head gasket or timing. But never too much boost."

'91 Nissan 240SX
'96 Nissan 240SX KA-T
'05 Grand Cherokee (4x2)
'85 Honda Nighthawk 450SC
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yep. They've replaced it with the more modern looking G series of stepper gauges, but we've got a stockpile of the older version:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=57
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!