ISIS RS3871 @ 12psi ( UPDATE 280whp 340tq )

Dyno Sheets/Results Only! We have a separate forum about ECU Tuning and Theory
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by R34SR »

Easy test buddy, probe the clt ground and signal wire...needs to be 4.8 - 5 v....if no good probe it at the ecu ...if its good there, you have a wiring issue upstream towards the sensor, if its not good at the ecu harness then its the ecu itself.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

Hhhhmmm.... For the PnP' ECU's, you'd think they would use a bias resistor to suit the oem clt temp senser, rather then use the same standard GM clt bias resistor.

The GM bias resistor works ok for the Nissan clt temp sensor, but it's not optimal.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

update....still fine tuning and playing with megasquirt, running 15psi, creeps to 18 after 4k rpm......I've been able to fix warm starts....so no more entering flood clear to start...if the coolant is above 100 i can start easily however the warm up enrichment tables are a tad challenging...but im getting there.....once the car is warm , it operates very well.

i think im blowing out spark sometimes above 4000 rpm, im gapped down to 0.25 but no change.......gotta check if its spark blow out or knock...my timing map is pulling a little more than 1 degree per lb of boost..to be extra safe. The car seems very sensitive to the air temperature changes.....at night i gain an easy 30 wtq that can break loose the tires...in the day time with nyc heat you can feel the turbo working but not making boost as easy...... in 75 degree weather, highway pulls show IAT's around 85* - 90*F.....which i think is excellent intercooler efficiency considering its only 10-15 degrees above ambient. .....of course stopped in traffic and it will shoot up to 105 f.
And now cooling issues are coming up as the weather gets warmer....the isis radiator shroud and dual fan kit just does not seem up to the task ...they have to be on 100% of the time while driving and still the temperature after like an hour of driving in stop and go traffic will get to 200*F.....and if im doing pulls it will go higher and ill have to back off till the temp comes down. The fans just dont seem powerful enough so im switching to a clutch fan and GKtech fan blade, gonna make my own shroud and see how it comes out....i like the idea of no strain on the electrical system for cooling. my motor has enough power to spare to run a fan :-)

Ive reached the point where i now need a dyno.....im not comfortable pushing the timing on the streets even though you can tell there are some areas that require more timing and some areas that seem on the brink....i know there is at least 50 whp to be found in my setup. I dont want to go back to DRT tuning because honestly that tuner didnt seem experienced enough with KA's and his final tune had knock in it that even a novice like me could hear.

ok thats my rant/update....i hope to one day have a final dyno of this setup running 15 - 18lbs..... My objectives right now are :

1. Get my coolant temps down.
2. Build a water/meth injection system ( ive seen the effect of IAT's )
3. D585 individual coils ( fix spark blowout and run 0.35 gap )
4, Timing on a dyno.

Here is a crappy virtual dyno run that is probably over inflated and useless....but i promised a dyno sheet every now and then lol :-)....id say she feels like 285hp 320 wtq....that what i think, but i could be wrong.

MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
antigravity
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: ISIS RS3871 @ 12psi

Post by antigravity »

Any regrets going with the 3871? say versus t3/t4?
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

i cant say yet since i havent been able to realize the true potential of the setup..for the cost its unbeatable though...i decided to go COP with maxima coils...however ive been having some issues there...( time constraints mainly )......then the weather in nyc has been brutal on my IAT's , i had to take out 2 degrees in boost and im running 9 psi till i get the coils dialed in just to keep things safe. The goal is to have 350 ftlbs of torque from this setup....and i feel like im close. just need to finish the coils and get a water meth injection kit and ill be good to go. ill probably want a boost control solenoid for my ms2pnp after that............it never ends does it?
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

It sounds like you might have other issues with your cooling system like maybe an air pocket.. too much antifreeze and not enough water will definitely effect cooling system efficiency too since water is the best heat conductor around. I use 95% water and its still safe below freezing. if you run 50\50 its good to about -50F so theres a lot of room to water it down and get extra cooling system efficiency. Coolant helps as an anti boil and lubricant so its good to have it. Most people are rocking a stock radiator with a turbo and dont have any cooling issues. Something is up for sure if it overheats when just cruising.

I have MS2 and i plan on doing the bluetooth connection for a tablet like you were talking about. Have you just been using a laptop to tune so far? Ive heard the bluetooth slows down the connection which might be a deal breaker depending on how bad it is.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

no no, its my IAT"s ( intake air temperatures ) that are killing me not my coolant...my car is fine in the cooling department.
Weve had 95 degree + weather this entire week ( iats around 110 ) here in nyc and its just killing the power with the timing i have to run....you feel the difference tremendously at night when its 20 degrees cooler.

And yes ive been using a laptop , however i did test out the bluetooth and yes it is significantly slower to conect and disconnect....its more for when your tune is done and you just want to display everything and make changes if need be...otherwise for tuning im sticking to the laptop and cable.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

figure im overdue for an update....still rockin the isis turbo...the included internal wastegate sucks...but the turbo itself is great....with the wastegate on the softest setting it cant even hold 12lbs of boost...it would take forever to spool and still creep to 15 psi...however with the wastegate adjusted to the firmest setting it will spool very fast holding out to 21 -23 psi. ( im on custom water meth ) i just got around to tuning the water meth to compensate for all this extra boost but unfortunately my exhaust studs from manifold to turbo backed out and even lost some studs....and while removing the turbo i broke the oil feed :-(. in a few weeks i should have a proper virtual dyno up and running....if i could get this turbo to actually HOLD 15psi im sure i coild be in the 280whp 300tq area......oh well the water meth should let me hold some decent timing even with 22 psi....if i could crack 300hp on these stock cams id be pretty happy.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

been too long....so busy with work these days the car isnt getting attention...been daily driving her for a month now..probably the most driving ive ever done in the 5 years owning her.....so many minor things that requires my attention....ugh some days i think i just just give this hobby a rest and sell her...i should be driving a new car at this point in my life. But i do love my car...and if i sell i fear i may regret it.

next update will hopefully have something useful..like a dyno sheet.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

tranny is starting to give problems....not surprised since it used to grind second gear when the motor was stock...all this extra power is just making things worse i guess.....on the fence whether to do a stock sr20 tranny swap ( lower miles prob better condition than KA trannies these days ) or shell out alot of coin for z32/mazworx. Kinda leaning on the cheaper option right now.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

Zibilich
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Zibilich »

Keep the updates coming! Id take the cheap way out also lol
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Does your boost taper off pretty aggressively on stock cams? Thats the one thing I have noticed with this turbo, which is surprising to me given the size. Even my old t28 would hold max boost a bit longer. This is rather peaky like the stock turbo on my sti.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Not at all hits 12 psi by 3800rpm an will hold 23 psi all the way.....the issue is the actuator that's garbage....I want to hold 15 lbs to redline and I can't right now.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

SD_Kouki
NooB

Post by SD_Kouki »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUCmWEPEkP4

Tuerck and Forsberg built a missile car and slapped on the same ISIS kit, stock block, stock cams and with a proper tune they hit 298hp so if they can do it on less than what you got, then you can surely do it! thanks for this build thread I'll be purchasing my ISIS kit within a month or so =]
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

No doubt I can do it...made 265whp on 12 psi....problem is over boosting because of the **** actuator.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

thegr8one013
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by thegr8one013 »

i think im gonna try nistune
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

I gave up my garage and apartment in hopes of buying a house with my parents....the cold and having no garage prevented me from doing any work on the 240 in months....so i pulled the insurance and took her off the road until the summer is here...meantime i got a brand new Nissan Juke awd turbo :-)

no i will NOT be modifying it.

I hope to have the 240's tranny situation fixed as soon as it warms up and back on the road for summer.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well i guess its update time, summer is here, and like i promised, the 240 is back on the road. I got a sr20 tranny from a jdm dealer and swapped it in...that was surprisingly easy...literally just swap the bellhousings. And i guess at this point ALL sr20/ka trannys in the world must be bad because this one shifts beautifully in all gears EXCEPT when it comes to down shifting from 3rd to second...christ. Im hoping my clutch needs a rebleed and adjustment...it does engage a tad high now. It was so weird driving the 240 after a few months of being parked...i got so accustomed to the jukes electric steering that the 240 felt archaic. Well at least the tranny is now way better than before. Now about the turbo.

The turbo itself is an amazing unit, it really does overachieve for the price i paid. However the actuator was garbage....enjuku was nice enough to send me a replacement unit free of charge even though its been well over a year of ownership ( this is why we buy from enjuku )
The replacement was actually nothing like stock, i wish i had a pic, but its shiny and can accept different spring pressures it seems. ( its not available from isis yet but it had an isis stamp ) . Upon installation instead of hitting 15psi and spiking all the way up to 23, im hitting 14psi and spiking to 18...god damnit. I dunno if the KA is simply overpowering these tiny t2 wastegate ports and overboosting cannot be helped , or if its an actuator issue, or if i should just remove the damn turbo and have it ported. Some of you may say that i should just run the friggin 18psi....but i cant. Because in order for me to run knock free on 18psi the upper timing would be something like 8 -10* weak sauce....i blame it on nyc 93 octane garbage ( i dont think our gas here is good quality )....im still working on my water meth system.

All i wanted was to be able to hold 14-15 psi on this turbo and id be happy because i know i can get between 280-300hp ....i dont even care about the torque figure, theres plenty of that as is.

The journey continues!

My biggest regret about this whole thing btw is that i should have used 8.5:1 compression pistons....it would have probably let me get away with this 18psi easier right now considering the gas i have to use....and lord knows the torque loss would not have been that big of a deal on our motors.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

well guys i should have some pretty cool updates coming in soon...ive ditched the water meth for now and im using Boostane to achieve 100-103 octane.

im still tuning and have alot more ignition timing to add but heres a little teaser @19lbs. 270hp 335tq

( as always i tune with my DIY DET Cans )

Btw i know it was a good run because if i set smoothing from 1 - 6 there is only a difference of 5 hp and 3tq.

The actuators with these turbos are their weakness, this awesome spool is achievable with a NXS cheapo MBC.....yes folks that translates to 19lbs @ 3387rpm.

i really want to crack 300hp and 350tq with this setup and hopefully i can in the coming weeks if i have the time. Right now i dont know why the car seems to not want to rev past 5800rpm, even free revving it seems like it just cant do it almost like a fuel cut. limiters are set to 7000rpm , soft and hard...

sorry for quality of pics, but thats what happened when i had to resize to fit here.

MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well guys a tad disappointed that i couldnt crack 300whp, but i think i can be forgiven considering I'm running stock cams and an isis 3871r.

I Was able to dial in a tad more timing ( literally a tad ) and was able to flatten that hump in my torque curve giving me a bump to 280whp ( 279 with smoothing at 3, leave me alone i like 280!). and a respectable 340ft lbs of torque at 4124rpm.....on 103 octane @19 psi using boostane of course. So basically boostane has allowed me to gain 10hp and 60ft lbs torque.....ill take it. I have a sneaky suspicion that if i were to hold 15-18 psi solid instead, the timing advances that i could gain MAY actually take my HP figure higher, but at this point im not interested in squeezing 10 - 20 more hp from this setup. Cams or T3....decisions, decisions.
As always thanks goes out to 8 bit, kfred and others for helping me be the guy who can tune his car in his sleep now.

MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Re: ISIS RS3871 @ 12psi ( UPDATE 280whp 340tq )

Post by R34SR »

just ordered 264's ...pray that i crack 300!!
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

Sox4life
NooB

Post by Sox4life »

I got one of the isis rs3871 but need help with the lines for it. Just wondering what anyone else did with the isis 3871, turbo didn't come with any directions exept to use a 3an feed. I think I found fittings that would work but just want some other peoples opinions. Here's my build thread http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62244
Cleanest PA 240
Forzanoob
NooB

Post by Forzanoob »

so what happened to the 264s
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Life happened, I haven't driven my 240 in over 6 months and the cams are in the back seat...
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

I suppose an update is overdue...car was parked for about 6 months in nyc...finally brought her down to florida and she started up right away. She is still running strong on boostane however upon my first drive was getting horrible spark blow out...found my plugs were orange and rusty?!?!?! ( boostane has me a bit concerned there ).Swapped new plugs and all is well

My spec clutch is garbage and slips terribly once the car warms up. Tranny cannot downshift from 3rd to second unless going 5mph or less. Hopefully i can get a place here in florida where i can finally do the finishing touches this car has always needed. Florida heat is no joke, even the dwell time on my coils had to be lowered because i noticed blowout after a heat soaked hour of driving.

I need to paint her properly, fix powersteering and oil leaks, larger rims and tires, rebuild transmission........i mean i love my car and i love working on her but somedays i just wanna buy the new mustang and call it a day....meanwhile though i got a new mazda 6 as the daily.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Which part of Florida you moved to?
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Im currently doing a contract in jacksonville.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well i now have a house in port saint lucie, FL. I parked the car today and plan to strip her down again, and finish her right....the engine will stay together, just some new gaskets and fix a few leaks...proper paint job, full interior, wheels and tires, and bigger brakes...ctsv probably. rebuild the tranny...and most of all...i bought a holset hx35 with a 9cm housing :D

This will be my last post in this thread as it has gotten a bit off track for the dyno section ( sorry mods ) ...ill start a new build thread eventually and place the current turbo, manifold and downpipe in the for sale section....its awesome and responsive but limited to 280 whp 340wtq on stock cams ( 93 octane + boostane = 102 octane 20 psi 15* timing ).

It has served me well and i think i can say that isis makes a quality turbo especially now that they have revised the exhaust housing to cure the over-boosting issue i had in early days.

cheers
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Yup so your officially 1 hour away from me. When the car gets done, maybe we can meet up.

Where did you get that HX35 with a 9cm^2 housing? I have only seen 12cm^2.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Yes sir a meet up would be great when she gets done.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0

Scroll down you will see this guys builds custom holsets for a decent price , i spoke to him over the phone and he claims they are genuine holset turbos with his custom in house parts.....he has a decent website and reputation as a turbo rebuilding shop so i decided to take the chance and made an offer for $400 , he countered at $470 and i took it. Based on the dynos that ive seen on this forum, id like 400whp with full boost by 3800 ...which i think is very doable with this turbo granted its genuine.

I dont use facebook but there was a link when i googled tims turbos with lots of pics and customer builds etc..

EDIT :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161841357016?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

this is the link to the one i bought....not sure if you can view it.

https://www.facebook.com/Tims-Turbos-466183673394076/

facebook link to his turbos.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25