Drifting Susp Chat- knuckels drop tie rods caster roll ctr

All about Road Racing/Autocross/Drifting. If this is your gig, then post about it
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Drifting Susp Chat- knuckels drop tie rods caster roll ctr

Post by sdaigle240 »

any thing goes

but what i want to discuss first is outter tie rods with bump steer adjustment.

as always... this is KA-T and we are DIY

so kits asside (look into abercrombie motorsports though) i saw a few inconclusive threads where people simply drill the tie rod point on the knuckel to rid the pitch for the shank. A 5/8' threaded rod is then used with diy spacers and cheap heim (midwestcontrol). the next challange is going from SAE heim to METRIC inner tie rod, but a few companies make hex turnbuckels that you can re tap.

has anyone done this redrill procedure and what are your thoughts?

for reference the abercrombie kit is $85 and offers up to 3/4" of drop. the spl kit is $220 and offers up to 1.5" drop.

it may just be less work and similar cost to get the abercrombies? (they confirmed add 4* of lock when coupled with modded knuckels too, but DIY prob would as well)

knuckels ill be cuttin n shuttin myself.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

s14 front camber mod here: viewtopic.php?t=58221&highlight=
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

Let me get some time to wrap my head around this. I did quite a bit of stuff to my car, but I have to get in the mindset. Gotta get right hah
wheelman167
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by wheelman167 »

i looked into this my self, i was looking at heim joints from qa1 which were the same thread pitch as my tie rods but i couldn't source a car with rear toe adjuster that was also the same. i want to know more about this because im binding my tie rods as it is.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

This is my roommate's setup:

And this is my setup:

And for good measure:

Problem is since the knuckle ball joint and tie rod ball joint are at different angles you introduce a lot of ackerman when you space either one down. The only way to correct roll center without affecting other geometry is to move the ball joint and tie rod pickup points down the same amount along the same axis, aka with PBM and GKTech knuckles.

My roommate has almost no angle because his ackerman spread is really bad. If you're welding your own knuckles you might as well make a jig to bring the tie rod pickup down as well, then use oem outer tie rods.