Calum / CalumRT Discussion

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

UNISA JECS wrote:Damn this thread just died didn;t it.
I think everything has been said.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Bump for Hg

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

awww geeze i could almost get teary-eyed looking at this thread. i cant believe its been 5 years since you got me into this!
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Its been a journey.

MTX450
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by MTX450 »

I still have my Calum box. I've grown up to standalone on all of my builds now. Haltech are the bees knees. So is volumetric efficiency tuning. I'll never forget my roots of where I started though, with all of you guys. ^_^
EFI Tuner
Haltech Engine Management Systems
jholman05
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jholman05 »

My original Calum crapped out on me a few months ago, so I went on to nismotronic. We got a calum unit for my dad's car but to keep it simple we're going to sell that unit and both run nismotronics. Like you guys I remember figuring all of this stuff out 4+ years ago. Thanks for the info.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

jmac636 wrote: Correctly tuning the K Constant and the injector latency is very important, it will affect the fueling behavior between the short injection pluse width and long injection pulse wdth.
It is very important to temporary disable all the ECU self correction before tuning the K Constant and the injector latency.
use this formula to find a base k value: stock K-value (old inj./new inj.) x (new maf/old maf) = new K-value EXample 39720 (275/550) X (500/290)= 34,241

So start with 34,241 and 720 latency.

1. Unplug the stock O2 sensor, the O2 sensor signal will default at around 0.33 volt, (even though 0.33 volt is a lean signal to the ECU, the ECU won't use it as a reference if you have complete the next step).
2. In the main fuel map, view the map value in "Raw Value". Only in "Raw Value" can see which part of the fuel map using O2 feedback correction.
value 0 = target A/F ratio at 14.7 WITHOUT O2 feedback correction
value 192 = target A/F ratio at 14.7 WITH O2 feedback correction
Change all main fuel map low load area value to "0"
3. The injector latency affect the short injection pluse width more (ie : low load and off throttle) and the K Value affect the long injection pluse width more (high load, hi rev and on boost).
Start tuning K Constant and the injector latency by holding the engine at 3,000 rpm without loading at neutral, adjust the K Constant and the injector latency balance to achive or close to 14.7 actual A/F readings, check the idle mixture, try to keep the actual A/F reading between 14-16 across 800 to 3,000 rpm with slow throttle movement.
4. Change the main fuel map high load area to value 43
value 43 = target A/F ratio 11.0
Adjust the K Constant and the injector latency balance to achive or close to A/F 11.0 at full throttle 0.8 bar of boost, start increasing the rev range if the A/F readings is correct, check the idle mixture again, try to keep the actual A/F reading same as the map value.
With a correct K Constant and injector latency, the actual A/F reading will be very close to the fuel map target A/F ratio.
Only tune K Constant and the injector latency when engine is fully warm up.
Only a clean AFM will give out correct air flow readings.
Only flow balanced injectors give out true A/F readings.
Only start the tuning when all sensor signal is correct, such as throttle posistion sensor at 0.45V - 0.50V on idle ,idle switch and netural switch signal is on (when idle and neutral, both switch signal will showing in red color).

In the final stages of tuning you need to make changes to reflect 11.5 to 11.8 afr's at full boost. :lol:
great post and interesting way to tune K and lat.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
imarkspeed
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

help

Post by imarkspeed »

hello i have had this ecu for years but wasnt able to use it nor find someone to tune it anywhere. i sadly and honestly dont understand it and i have read it over and over again. what other route would be easier and not expensive like aem but that ppl can work with?
ka-t calum ecu, 860cc injectors, lighting maf, pressi 60-1 turbo
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

Take it to RACELAB in miami they can tune it.
imarkspeed

Post by imarkspeed »

really? i could of sworn i asked them.. but hey ill call again and cross my fingers! i hope they can. thanks
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

more of a suggestion than a statement, sorry. they 100% have the knowledge to tune it, wether they actually will is a different story. if you have tunerpro and calumsult on your comp i would tell them you have a ll the software etc and just need someone to dyno tune it. they may not be familiar with the specific ecu but tuning maps is tuning maps...
imarkspeed

Post by imarkspeed »

So I called and no luck. They have tried it with there best tuner and they didn't like it so they don't do it :/ Jim wolf is looking good right now.
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

isnt enthalpy down in FL too?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

sdaigle240 wrote:isnt enthalpy down in FL too?
I believe there in Tampa.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
imarkspeed

Post by imarkspeed »

supakat wrote:
sdaigle240 wrote:isnt enthalpy down in FL too?
I believe there in Tampa.
I
Think ill do Jim with a neo because Jim runs rich supossably
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude you sound smarter than your giving yourself credit for...... this **** is not THAT hard. that plan is admission of complete failure. now your gonna go drop like 5-700 on another setup!?!?! if thats the case sell urs for 400, and take the 5-7 u were gonna spend, go buy and AEM or haltech and take it to RACELAB.

do u have s14? a guy on our local forum is selling JWT ECU injectors (96lb top feed) and lightning MAF for 300$ but its going to piss me off to share that link with you. your totally capable of tuning your car. plus it seems to me FL is a HOT spot for activity, SOMEONE down there can tune it.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Fly me out. :D

imarkspeed

Post by imarkspeed »

8-bit wrote:Fly me out. :D
lol man i think i will if i dont get this. so far i downloaded all the programs. finally! now im reading the whole chat again. hey how can i download the xdf file and use it in the tunerpro?
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

ecu section>8 bits tunes thread>right click save on the xdf of choice.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Yes Enthalpy ( Martin) is here in Tampa. Works out of a shop called Z fever. Has been making serious machines for a long time. Cool dude give him a call if you go that route. He can even dyno tune your car for you.....if you pay obviously.
Coupe92

Post by Coupe92 »

So...I'm pretty interested in this Calum ecu. I'm running an Enthalpy tune at the moment that is a 93 octane/e85 tune for 740cc nismo injectors, n62 maf, and stock block/cams. I haven't read all 43 pages but Is there a way to copy the enthalpy tune onto the calum ecu for a base to tune from?

I have one ecu with the enthalpy chip and have a spare one I could have the calum board installed on. If not I could always try selling the enthalpy tune (works great) and buying calum. My only problem with the enthalpy is that I run pretty rich, which could be because I'm on the stock FPR with a walbro 255 or possibly my tiny boost leak)... but I would like to be able to customize my setup without sending it in for a retune any time I change injectors or something.
jholman05

Post by jholman05 »

Calum has stopped doing this a long time ago, probably 4 years. I have an extra Calum RT ecu that I am willing to sell. I would hope you could ask Enthalpy for the tune file so you could put it on this board but that will be up to you. The stock fuel pressure regulator works fine with a walbro 255lph, but you should really fix the boost leak.

Let me know if you would like to purchase my ecu. It will be plug and play with any KA24DE S13, for S14 you will need a jumper harness.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by LPime001 »

Whats up guys, I need a bit of help with datalogging with a CalumRT ecu. I understand this is ancient hardware, but hopefully someone can help me out.

I have installed all of the software including Calumsult, Calumsult-LW2 Beta, and Calumsult-TP Beta. All of the programs are working properly, including the tp portion of the TP Beta. The issue I am having is that i cannot seem to stream any of the calum data into Logworks. From all of the posts i have seen, its seems it is as simple as running the calumsult program and then opening logworks. This is not working for me. I think i know what my issue is, but would like some confirmation.

Do i need to have an innovate wideband streaming into logworks for the rest of the data to be pulled from the Calum ecu? Im currently running a plx wideband.

Thanx
Turbonetics 50 Trim T3/T4 .63ar
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost and Oil Gauge
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors
jwrose

Post by jwrose »

does anyone still run calum? if so, have you all had any issues getting it to work on newer computers? i can get calumsult to hook up so i cant do anything
built motor, custom bottom mount, t67, midmount i/c, blowthru z32, tial w/g, hks ssqv, d/w 740's, l/w flywheel, comp 4 puck, b&m shifter, no p/s, no a/c, no emissions

<b>Under Construction</b>
spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

make sure your FTDI drivers installed correctly. your problem is not well described so you may not find help until you go into specific details that people can consider... operating system, what software you're using, what has or has not worked, what signs from the ECU you have seen, etc etc etc...

LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by LPime001 »

jwrose wrote:does anyone still run calum? if so, have you all had any issues getting it to work on newer computers? i can get calumsult to hook up so i cant do anything
Try what 8-bit said. Update your FTDI drivers. Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download the "setup executable" file in the windows row under comments. Also, the calum ecus have a battery to allow you to modify tunes without being connected to the harness. Make sure your battery is not dead.

After that, install TunerproRT and see if the program recognizes the ecu.

There is actually a Calum Quick Start guide that took me forever to find because most of the old calum links are broken.

emo_tactical9 to the rescue LOL. Check out the link below for the document.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B83Mv ... dmNTAxZWIz

8-Bit, could you possibly add this document to your hosted and posted thread?
Turbonetics 50 Trim T3/T4 .63ar
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost and Oil Gauge
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors
jwrose

Post by jwrose »

i understand that was kinda vague... but 8-bit you know ive been around calum for quite awhile.. i got tunes and stuff in the hosted and posted... i used to have a dell xps that was a very early vista computer and all i have to do was run as administrator on sp2 and it would all link and work fine... but it crashed while my car was wrecked,, and ive since fixed my car and ive tried a couple different of my friends laptops with no success... it took awhile to actually find a working download for calumsult, but basically i was trying to get the xdf and bin on there that allows for s14 launch control and i never could get it sync'd up to load up the new launch control bin... the computers i tried were newer versions of vista and windows 7 laptops, i dont know that ive ever tried those drivers though. i didnt know anything about them

and every time i haved tried to sync its been plugged into the harness in my car with the key on
built motor, custom bottom mount, t67, midmount i/c, blowthru z32, tial w/g, hks ssqv, d/w 740's, l/w flywheel, comp 4 puck, b&m shifter, no p/s, no a/c, no emissions

<b>Under Construction</b>
spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Jwrose. Prove it works on an old windows machine, then try compatibility modes in windows 7. Talk to a friend with lots of IT skills and see if they can get it to emulate windows xp for the drivers and the software. It may just be broken....

I will see if I remember to add that stuff this week. If I don't add it, pm me. I'm a busy guy and I have limited time. Right now, via smartphone.

8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Ok, the FTDI driver site link and the Google Docs link are on the hosted/posted page.

Thanks!

8-bit
SuperMod

Re: Calum / CalumRT Discussion

Post by 8-bit »

Bump bump, get the silvia out the dump