New Haltech Platinum Sport 500 ECU

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
savatoge
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

New Haltech Platinum Sport 500 ECU

Post by savatoge »

Just thought I'd pass this on. Haltech just released the new Platinum Sport 500 ECU, a "trimmed down" budget standalone. More information available here:

http://www.haltech.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=86

Just as an FYI...I was informed of the release by John over at RPSport.net (Thanks, John!!!), as he worked with Haltech on a KA adapter harness and had a hand in Haltech deciding to produce a conversion harness adapter specifically for the KA. Basically, for under $1K, you get the Platinum Sprint 500 ECU (which has a built-in 1.5 bar MAP sensor), the conversion harness, and an AIT sensor. Everything you need to go MAP and sell that Z32 MAF.

John hit me out of left field with this news, so I'm going to have to reprioritize some finances in order to jump on this deal. With this new Haltech ECU, some 1000cc injectors and some BMEP IGN-1A coils, it's time to step it up a couple levels!!! :lol:
266 whp 266 wtq @ 10 psi
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

rock out! how much they goin for on sale?
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
savatoge

Post by savatoge »

8-bit wrote:rock out! how much they goin for on sale?
John quoted me $955 shipped for the Platinum Sprint 500 ECU (which includes a built-in 1.5 bar MAP sensor), the KA-specific adapter harness, and an AIT sensor (your choice of 1/4" or 3/8" NPT). He said he would include all of the necessary sensor calibrations, as well as assisting in either passing along or help in configuring a base map specific to a particular end users injector size.
266 whp 266 wtq @ 10 psi
s13grady
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by s13grady »

thats sweet, time to do some more researching
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
irritatedmax

Post by irritatedmax »

this is awesome. map, coilpacks, (possibly) plug and play - too good!
Steve

TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

so sick, looks like i might not be going nistune anymore.
JohnGriff
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by JohnGriff »

Hey, I wanted to post this up for you guys to keep. Its not done yet, but all the hard stuff is out of the way, just needs the fuel pump, 12v switched, maybe a few other basics.

It is a large picture, so better to right click and save as.

http://www.rpsport.net/support/ka_sprin ... _wmark.png
rob 2fast4u

Post by rob 2fast4u »

JohnGriff wrote:Hey, I wanted to post this up for you guys to keep. Its not done yet, but all the hard stuff is out of the way, just needs the fuel pump, 12v switched, maybe a few other basics.

It is a large picture, so better to right click and save as.

http://www.rpsport.net/support/ka_sprin ... _wmark.png
hey john! welcome to the forums and nice 1st post! :D
you will see I posted information about the platinum sport 1000 with a plug n play harness... in the same section.

if you want to coment and put more info your welcome to!
-Rob
fully built:
supertech 8.6:1
eagle H-beams
272BC cams
BC Dual springs
has t3/t04e 60trim need a bigger one for 25psi ???? s366 maybe
custom exh & intake manifolds
ebay ssqv bov
2.5"hotpipe, 3"coldpipe, Blow through MAF
AEM FIC,Zeitronix wideband, z32 maf
Bosch 1000cc inj, Twin walbro's, -8AN feed line,.... and lots more
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

Hey everyone,

I have finished all the drawings for the Sprint 500 patch harnesses.

The downside to the sprint I want to get out there is that it cannot control the factory IACV as it is used oem.

The other thing is that since we have released the KA patch harness for the Platinum 1000, we have not sold 1 unit, but have about 10 patch harnesses sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Because of this, I am a little hesitant to invest more money into other KA based inventory. If its not going to sell, our R/D + parts and manufacturing just isn't worth it.

I am working with another vendor to outsource production of future patch looms, and have them built on a single order basis making for a 4 week lead time.

In that case, the Sprint 500 would cost about $1100 plus sensors with a patch harness for the S13 or S14.

Taking all this info into account, would any of you be ready to PURCHASE one of these systems. Allot of people said they would purchase the S13 Platinum 1000 kit, but we still have not sold one.

On that Setup alone, we have invested about $2500 in dyno time to do the base map, about $2000 in design hours of mine, and another couple thousand in the first sets of patch looms.

So, are you ready to buy?

Thanks!

John
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

Everything looks good, I think the publicity isn't out there for it to compete with some of the more mainstream tuning solutions (AEM, Nistune); at least in this community. Everything looks good, I honestly can barely beat that price selling an AEM at cost, and the features of the AEM unit seem to be a bit bare compared to what the Haltech unit has to offer. Put together a bit more info, show us how it works, and I'd be willing to bet that you'd drum up some sales.
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

thanks for the good words joe,

I guess that is what I am hoping, but at the same time, our focus has been SR20's for years, and we have stayed out of the KA market. These products are purely in response to years of requests from customers for this stuff, and I knew it would take a capital investment to get any of it started, which I have hesitated on.

Last year I decided to redirect our business into more of a manufacturing and design group than a retailer, and now that we have made the capital investment, I am not seeing the return on it. So I need people to vote with their wallets that this is what they want, other wise it just doesn't make business sense.

I think I might have a better thing worked out with a harness vendor doing the looms for us, so we are not making such a large capital investment for what I feel might be a low volume high specialty market. At the same time, economics states that the cost and price of a product in such a market must be higher than a market with larger supply and demand. Obviously the KA market is not voting for the $1500 product, so the price has to come down, yet the question is will there be the demand?

That is what I am looking for an answer on.
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

why can you only run saturated injectors with this? I just bought 120lb lucas low impedance injectors, and im not gonna sell my injectors just so i can run the sprint 500, but i wanted to
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

If you add in resistors, you can run them. Its cheap and easy, and I have a write up I did from 2005 on how to.

The higher end units allow you to, so I think they just needed to make sure they specified.
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

cool, i was switched around with peak/hold vs. saturated injectors and which ones got resistors. so i would need a resistor box to run low impedance injectors with the sprint standalone. check. hows the harness coming? any idea when it will be available and a ballpark possible group buy price?
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

I just wanted to correct a post a made last week about the Sprint. I got some bad info about the ecu (it is still very very new). The Sprint 500 will in fact control the Idle motor as stock, and boost solenoid. On their newer wiring diagrams, they are not calling out the PWM's, just labeling them all as outputs. I spoke with haltech this morning and it does have two extra PWM outs, so you can use it to control idle and boost without sacrificing anything.

John

Sprint = Idle control YES, Boost control YES