Reviews on the AEM EMS series 2

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
Dubs
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Reviews on the AEM EMS series 2

Post by Dubs »

Anyone have one of these? I been searching all over google and these seems fairly new. Not many people has own these, not 240sx owners at least. I want to know your feedback. So many people tell me nistune is good enough but then so many people say that the AEM EMS is worth every penny and has a lot more options. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: I watched RSP reviews on AEM EMS series 2 seems pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUA18cJ0fY0 but then I don't know....
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

I don't believe they released an S-Chassis app for the Series 2 yet...
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

240-kid wrote:I don't believe they released an S-Chassis app for the Series 2 yet...
I havent seen any for a usdm ka yet either. Only silvia sr20 cars.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

I have it bro, the series 2 for 30-1600. Am i the only one that have this .=/

joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

So far I've only seen the series one for the KA. I'll check on Monday and see if any of my dist's have them yet. Maybe everyone's trying to unload the S1's before they get S2's.
JohnGriff
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by JohnGriff »

Did your S2 unit come with a replacement CAS wheel?

I hope they fixed that.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

hahahaha :)

[quote="JohnGriff"]Did your S2 unit come with a replacement CAS wheel?

I hope they fixed that..
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

No I am serious, since you have the kit, look inside, did they include a cas wheel?
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Not sure what your talking about? You talking about the CAS disc like in the pink bubble wrap?
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

Yeah, post a pic of that if you can, pretty pretty please.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

The weird thing is that the box say series 2 but my ECU don't? Im confuse about what i have haha. As you can see the pictures. Online it shows ECU saying series 2 on the right middle corner.
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

Yeah, but obviously the ecu connector is not S13.

I was really hoping they would update/fix their firmware to work with the OEM nissan optical cas. The fact you got a replacement wheel sounds like they did not, but at the same time, it might be the same exact ecu, just in a new box :(
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

show an actual pic of the unit... if it's a usb connection it's a series 2, if it's serial you have a series 1 box
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Wow I got the regular AEM EMS then, its not the series 2. It doesn't have a usb port....
di-devol

Post by di-devol »

Did you pay for the series 2?
SOHC-T: Arias 8.8 Pistons, AMS Sportsman rods w/ ARP rod bolts, Clevite main and rod bearings, Arp main and head studs, Portmatched head, Garrett TO4E 50 trim .60 .63 a/r, Cxracing FMIC-Intercooler piping, Greddy rs bov, Tial 38mm wastegate, Lc-1 WB, Jgs DP, circut sport sr downpipe, CXracing exhaust, O&J stage2 cam, Aem EMS.

Finally 300hp
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

price hasn't changed with my distrubitors on the 30-1600....

Oddly enough though, they do have 5 in stock now (was a special order item for awhile), which made me think possibly they were series 2 units, but if his is serial and not usb, it is definitely not a series 2 box.
96silvia

Post by 96silvia »

I am really confused I just called AEM friday and was told there is no series 2 for the ka yet. asked for an eta and was told that it might be middle of next year. ......
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

I paid for the AEM EMS series 1 ... 1300 shipped. I guess they have new boxes for the series 1 ?
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

They probably ran out of S1 boxes. You got what you paid for, and a good price, so you shouldn't be upset.
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

yea, $1300 isn't hateful for a series 1 box. They still work great and you're going to be fine.

Most likely they probably changed all their EMS boxes to the new series, though it is curious as to why my vendor is all of a suddent stocking quite a few again lol
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

Okay. I just got off the phone with my rep. He called AEM for me and there is no Series 2 out for the KA motor yet. He told me that there was no ETA, it would just be after Jan 1st. The part number is 30-6622 according to the guys at AEM. He also said it would be one unit for all of the chassis, not sure how that's gonna work but I'll take his word on it until the unit's released.
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

Blue plug into white plug now?

Interesting...
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

Here's a list of the differences between the Series 1 and Series 2 for those who don't know or haven't heard.

http://aempower.com/files/EMS_vs_Series2.htm
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

Thats good.

Everyone should be going USB by now. CAN is good too, higher end dash compatibility through CAN is pretty sweet.

I like that they put a full set of ignition and fuel drivers in all their ecu's, instead of making different products with different amounts of drivers. Coming from the electronics manufacturing industry, I know first hand that it is less expensive to build out more universal fully populated boards, than it is a mix of more and less populated. (Cost of Units of production/Quantity).

Is there an updated software with the V2 units?
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

JohnGriff wrote:Thats good.

Everyone should be going USB by now. CAN is good too, higher end dash compatibility through CAN is pretty sweet.

I like that they put a full set of ignition and fuel drivers in all their ecu's, instead of making different products with different amounts of drivers. Coming from the electronics manufacturing industry, I know first hand that it is less expensive to build out more universal fully populated boards, than it is a mix of more and less populated. (Cost of Units of production/Quantity).

Is there an updated software with the V2 units?
They're switching to AEM TUNERPRO. Supposed to be an improvement over the old software.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.as ... goryID=359
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Sucks because i was soo excited that it was the damn series 2 because the front cover box said series 2. I open the box and it looks not like the series 1 and i was surprised. Find out that it was just a new look.. It still uses the serial but said to have updated firmware.
joe62890 wrote:Okay. I just got off the phone with my rep. He called AEM for me and there is no Series 2 out for the KA motor yet. He told me that there was no ETA, it would just be after Jan 1st. The part number is 30-6622 according to the guys at AEM. He also said it would be one unit for all of the chassis, not sure how that's gonna work but I'll take his word on it until the unit's released.
nyquil2
240sx Wannabe

Post by nyquil2 »

Cant wait till the new version comes out....USB cords are soo much more convenient
JohnGriff

Post by JohnGriff »

You can still use USB, just need a converter.