If you had any choice of standalone?

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

If you had any choice of standalone?

Post by Mark Washington »

What would it be?
I am starting all over as far as Tuning goes and I am willing to start from 0.

No I dont like wasting money.

Yes I like my KA24ET to be tuned to perfection.
I am putting my new block in soon and want it to start a nice life and live a while.
The block in the car is built but has 20,000 miles of 11 and 10 on the wideband WOT/full boost. I would like to tune this block at 1 bar/ about 15psi then after its all figured out and the AFR's are more than good Ill put the new one in. I dont want to take any chances with the new block detonating knock predetonation ect.
I still have a cap and rotor and 1 coil on my setup, I would like the option of using LS1 coils later so Im not sure if EMS is my only option? I am getting rid of al my tuning crap and moving on to better things, But before I figured why not ask maybe you guys have a good idia?
Thanks
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

I would probably go with Autronic.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

I dont know what Autronic is for one and for 2 lets keep this realistic.
Thanks. I would also like a setup people know how to use.
I have access to a Dyno Jet
wheelman
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by wheelman »

Have you checked out Megasquirt?

The new MS-III has the ability to handle full sequential injection as well as COP.

I'm running an MS-II with MSExtra code that can decode the stock Nissan KA24DE CAS wheel, I don't know if the KA24E uses the same trigger wheel.

I could set it up to run COP and semi-sequential injection but I'm not planning to.

You can take advantage of multiple 16X16 fuel and spark tables and it supports a 12X12 AFR table. It also has built in boost control, launch control, over boost protection, flat shift and traction control among other things.

The one downside can be that it takes a little more DIY to get it installed and running.

Wheelman
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Way back in the day thats what I figured I'd do The DIY is not the issue but the R&D on Meggasquirt with the E is slim to none (Chime in to correct me) And I would like to
have a base to start with.
Thanks for the options I think Nistune is sounding easy to install but a litle tricky to get down for the tuning.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

over the past few months i think ive figured you out. i dont think youll have any issues with nistune. there is a learning curve, but your not a noob. i didnt even know nistune had a E compatable option.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Figured me out? I hope thats a good thing JK I am in the search for it but not jumping like I did on the wrong EMS, Well its not wrong but its a little back tracking Im not about to do.
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

Mark Washington wrote:Way back in the day thats what I figured I'd do The DIY is not the issue but the R&D on Meggasquirt with the E is slim to none (Chime in to correct me) And I would like to
have a base to start with.
Thanks for the options I think Nistune is sounding easy to install but a litle tricky to get down for the tuning.
By R&D do you mean very few installs are in place so the tuning info will be hard to come by or little research has been done in integrating MS with the E ignition system?

If it's the former I think that's really a non-issue as I've seen almost no sharing of "tunes", or at least very little sharing, for any stand alones. You also have experience tuning a turbo motor so you should be able to handle it on MS.

If it's the latter I agree, I've seen little info on running MS on a E but there are options that obviate the need to interface with the stock E system. The Ford EDIS system is well known, cheap and relatively easy to install on pretty much any engine. Usually the biggest hurdle is the mounting the 36-1 trigger wheel and VR sensor.

A big positive, at least in my mind is it's different from what everyone else is doing and is so flexible there's very little you can't do with it.

Wheelman
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Mark Washington wrote:I dont know what Autronic is for one and for 2 lets keep this realistic.
Thanks. I would also like a setup people know how to use.
I have access to a Dyno Jet
Well maybe u shouldnt ask for help and then demand u already know about it... pfft. Just because u have not heard of autronic doesn't make it unrealistic. Autronic systems are used worldwide in high performance race cars and street cars and offer such an amazingly infinite tuning capacity that u would ****. any good tuner should at least know about them or how to tune them. The producer of haltech used to be a co-owner of autronic, but the now owner of autronic and him didnt get along and split into separate companies.

if u were going to limit your choices to systems u already know, why did u bother asking?

I hope u are inspired to search and find out about autronic and why its so sick.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Thanks 16but , you just openned a new can of worms for me.

You dont know what you dont know. I like my options, I am glad people are opening my eyes to new things.
And for the MS, I didn't claim to know all about it, I have just installed it on a 87 FC with a 93 Mustang GT 302 so it as somthing I dont want to jump into first thing if I have other options.
KYLEBRENAY

Post by KYLEBRENAY »

AEM with UEGO has worked out great for me and my buddies that use it as well. It has a lot better price tag then Autronic, however if I could afford it Autronic would have been my choice I’ve seen it on cars and talked to some tuners that have used it and I have heard nothing but excellent reviews about it.

So my recommendation would be AEM but if price doesn’t scare you away much, you should definitely spend your spare time learning about Autronic if you did I bet it would convince you to go with it.
KA-T Forever
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

I see this pic of this red S14 on many people's sig?
I thought I knew whos it was but? Is it running on AEM MAP? My air filter situation will be figured out when I scrap the MAF.
KYLEBRENAY

Post by KYLEBRENAY »

Mark Washington wrote:I see this pic of this red S14 on many people's sig?
I thought I knew whos it was but? Is it running on AEM MAP? My air filter situation will be figured out when I scrap the MAF.
Yes its my S14. I am running a 3.5 bar AEM MAP with AEM EMS
KA-T Forever
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

I have the AEM wideband and have been using them for a while on other cars too, I didn't post this thread to say nevermind Im just going EMS or NIstune since Im stubern as hell.

Im not against any standalones I have seen so far. I want to see options I may have overlooked.

If it was your money EMS would be the way to go though? I just dont want to limit myself for my future setup and not be able to blank and I looked into pricing on the Autronic
I cant justify that.A stand alone is not for just anyone, and some people are better off with a chip or piggyback depending on thier setup but I cant get anymore safe power IMO
on the setup I am running now.
KYLEBRENAY

Post by KYLEBRENAY »

Mark Washington wrote:I have the AEM wideband and have been using them for a while on other cars too, I didn't post this thread to say nevermind Im just going EMS or NIstune since Im stubern as hell.

Im not against any standalones I have seen so far. I want to see options I may have overlooked.

If it was your money EMS would be the way to go though? I just dont want to limit myself for my future setup and not be able to blank and I looked into pricing on the Autronic
I cant justify that.A stand alone is not for just anyone, and some people are better off with a chip or piggyback depending on thier setup but I cant get anymore safe power IMO
on the setup I am running now.
Are we on the same page that EMS just stands for Engine Management System as in AEM Engine Management System (EMS) or Autronic (EMS)? Because you said "If it was your money EMS would be the way to go though?" and I say yes to that Engine Management Systems (EMS) are the way to go in my mind I chose the AEM one.
KA-T Forever
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

When I just said EMS I was talking about the AEM one sorry, I understand I was just typing away :lol:
KYLEBRENAY

Post by KYLEBRENAY »

Mark Washington wrote:When I just said EMS I was talking about the AEM one sorry, I understand I was just typing away :lol:
Oh..I figured, thats cool...I was thinking I was tripping and that EMS was some new type of brand out there I have not heard of...haha
KA-T Forever
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

I am leaning twords Nistune, All I need is for somone to hold my hand or I can do the research myself somtime.
Thanks for all the imput, I think bang for buck and what I want to do Nistune would be more than enough just a little tricky to tune at first just like evrything.
The same princaples aply when I got Logic instead of pro-tools just a little getting used to.
If somone knows how I can get my hands on Nistune for my SOHC/E thanks.
I will be poking around looking.
Jon_S13
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jon_S13 »

Nistune would be the way to go. Get the Nistune Type 1 board and pair it up with Stanza ECU which is optional and it has Consult already integrated. S13 KA24E will have the emulated Consult with the Nistune installed.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

My last setup was u12 but with Eprom chips, Does anyone sell a plug and play?
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Plug and play Nistune ka24E?
Crash33
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Crash33 »

Autovaughnperformance.com they have a packaged deal install, type x board, consult cable, and software for 550+/-. if you already have some of the stuff even cheaper.
1993 240sx fastback FINALLY TURBOED!!!!
T3\60-1
JGS LOG MANI
740CC INJ.
NISTUNE
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Thanks crash33,
I called Autovaughnperformance.com friday but it was too late so I gave them a call back this morning and ordered Ver1 for $430.00. The Man who picked the phone up knew his stuff and didn't need to transfer me over. He gave me the rundown on my options but I was too eager to order and I had to just get it done, all in all
I am excited to try it, I went straight to te post ofice and shipped an ECU to him. I hope the turn around is OK.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Thank you evryone for your imput on this It opened my eyes to alot I want to do in the future. I know I jumped the gun but Its a full standalone and for the price you just cant beet that. I like the Autranic Idia I'll put that on my wish list for sure along with many
other things I cant afford. I dont think Ill be able to run coil on plug/CDI.
Looking at the cap and rotor and the rest of my setup I shake my head but I might have to deal with that MSD coil and jus keep running NGK wires and plugs. I heard the ver1
has interfearence with big wires like radio's do.
Anyone running fat wires on a ver1?
pwjm
240sx Wannabe

Post by pwjm »

I'm running nistune on my stock (for now) SOHC. It's awesome. I think one of the best features aside from the real-time tuning, is the logging. You can do a pull and record your AFR, timing and all that then "play" it back. You can literally watch yourself do the run and see which cells are being accessed on the fuel and timing maps second by second. It's a lot safer than looking at your gauges while driving :)

I can't wait to actually need to use it!

as for the EM and RF interference, I can attest to that. I don't have any ignition upgrades, but the power cables that run my power inverter route near my ECU and when the usb cable gets too close I lose my connection with the ECU every 15 seconds. AFAIK the USB cable is the weak link, I'm sure there are ways of shielding it.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

shielding is the Key word.

I have this in mind since my battery cable running through the hole on the firewall,
My fan wires are also running through that hole. I hope I dont have this issue.

What should I shield those wires with ?
速い速い シルビア ターボターボ
Its not the size of the turbo,Its how you spool it.
torch'd

Post by torch'd »

motec m800 wireless telemtry for the win :D

other than that i absolutally love my megasquirt
going fast, i can do that... this going sideways thing is tricky.....
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

I know I need shielded wire bit I have a new harness do to a fire. From now on I will and the fan wires I can afford to replace but the +cable that will get covered with somthing better than the coragated plastic crap.
速い速い シルビア ターボターボ
Its not the size of the turbo,Its how you spool it.
Burnout240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Burnout240 »

Megasquirt 3. It'll cook your breakfast too.
NPD
240sx Wannabe

Post by NPD »

Motec M800, Pectel SQ6, HKS F-CON V Pro.
HKS T51R-KAI
MoTeC
802rwhp so far....