Who is running MegaSquirt?

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Who is running MegaSquirt?

Post by emo_tactical9 »

Recently i've been thinking of selling my Calum to get a DIYPNP. I just wanted to get some info from those who are using it.
How much did it cost after all the add ons?
How much of a pain in the ass was it?
If i can get it close to the price of my Calum, i think it would be much better. Especially given the lack of development on the S14 boards.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm not exactly an unbiased source :D about how difficult it is to install, but I can say that if you already have a wideband, you are likely to spend somewhere around $475 to $575 with accessories (the higher figure assumes you need a USB adapter, and want our add on trigger wheel and sequential injection mod kit) plus shipping (figure on somewhere under $25 if you live in the US). Other things we generally recommend buying with it include an IAT sensor kit ($29), tuning cable ($5.50 if you don't already have one) and a power supply to bench test it ($8.99).
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
all shal perrish

Post by all shal perrish »

not to **** up your thread matt, but i dont know if your aware emo, aem ems's are going for REAL cheap now adays as well.. i will admit though, i am not well versed on my knoledge of meggasquirt AT ALL, i know it is verry verry capeable but i quite frankly have NEVER used the software or tuned on one personnaly...

575 + - 100$ for sensors is still a KILLER deal for a full stand alone though!
www.autovaughnperformance.com

NISTUNE EXCELLENT TUNING AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE (pm with questions regarding)

I AM ON THE HUNT FOR JWT CAM GEARS..
if you have some, pm me
Jackasknissan

Post by Jackasknissan »

even though urrently im having issues with mine not working, jsut using the tuning soaftware playing around, im a strong believer in ms, and im in mine for under 450 for a ms2.

also swithcing to gm sensors makes things hella cheap, i spent less than 100 on all new sensors Including a r1 tps for my itbs's
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
all shal perrish

+1 on gm sensors, cost me under 70$ for a gm 3.5 bar and gm ait sensor WITH PIGTAILS vs well over 150 for other variants...

if you have some, pm me
redlineracer21
240sx Wannabe

Post by redlineracer21 »

ive probably spent around 600 on my ms2 extra, but i have added just about everything you can to it.

As far as install it was the biggest pain in the ass for me, but thats because i built the ms2 myself and learned how to tune with it. along with the information being scattered all over the web.

Tuning is pretty good on it. probably solely because of the autotune. it was great to be able to develop a good base map within a week.

for the money you can't beat it. but sometimes when i was having troubles i wished i would of gotten an aem ems. :roll:
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

ms2 cost me just over 700 with every thing, o2 and new harness and so on. but i bought a pre made unit. didn't trust my self putting one togeather. you can down load the free version of tuner studio. just to get an idea of what you will be dealing with as of tuning.
Jybfan04
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Jybfan04 »

Nice,

it would be great for people to shed some light on their experience with MS as well as other ecu options..
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

MS has been in my plan for a long time... Mainly because im not married to the KA.. and i can take it and move it to any car or adapt to any motor i own in the future. I figure i should have it for a really long time... or until i give up on life and drive a KIA
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
DeepSeaDynamo
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by DeepSeaDynamo »

The loads of compatibility and features are a big reason I' looking at them, because i see a VQ in my future.
PuNcHdRuNk
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

i bought, assymbled and tried for around 5 months to get a diypnp to operate properly on my setup, i never got the results i was looking for and it started to become a money pit so i went back to nistune, had i the chance to do it over i would have went with the aem ems........
all shal perrish

PuNcHdRuNk wrote:i bought, assymbled and tried for around 5 months to get a diypnp to operate properly on my setup, i never got the results i was looking for and it started to become a money pit so i went back to nistune, had i the chance to do it over i would have went with the aem ems........
are you on idaho motorsports?

if you have some, pm me
PuNcHdRuNk

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

all shal perrish wrote:
PuNcHdRuNk wrote:i bought, assymbled and tried for around 5 months to get a diypnp to operate properly on my setup, i never got the results i was looking for and it started to become a money pit so i went back to nistune, had i the chance to do it over i would have went with the aem ems........
are you on idaho motorsports?
yep, not that often though, i noticed your f/s add for the id 2000's on there a couple days ago, i had no idea you were in my area......
all shal perrish

spokane wa.. its 7-8 hrs away, moving back in a year or so.. anyway, ill stop clustering up this thread with gay shi*t lol

if you have some, pm me
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

I've been running MS2 extra in my 240 for over a year now with no problems. Total cost was probably around $500.00 but I built mine and added many accessories like dual MAP sensors, boost control, full idle control, dual trigger wheel support and a DIY breakout box.
I also purchased a stimulator module and a JimStim so I could simulate various toothed wheels and watch various outputs.

I think it's tough to beat Megasquirt for the money but the MS2 route is definitely not PnP like the kit DIY Autotune sells. If I had it to do over again I would probably buy a PnP kit.
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
JohnR
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by JohnR »

I use Megasquirt to run the KA24DE in my 510 it is easy to wire, eliminates things like the MAF sensor and now DIYAutotune produces a replacement trigger wheel eliminating the start-up problems. Tuner Studio makes things easy and if you run MSExtra code you can get things like launch control, full throttle shift, boost control, etc. Now all I need is a turbo! Hardest part was getting the trigger sorted out.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

the pnp kit wasn't that bad to put together aside from the tedious portion of wiring the jumper board.

I had the msv3 setup before, started to work on the harness portion and ended up selling it because frankly it was alot of work to do all the wiring. The pnp cuts out half of the work. gonna install my pnp this fall when it cools down here in fl, just too hot to sit outside to work on tuning right now.
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

Ive been running my S14 on a diypnp for about 6 months and, aside from a little bug on startup I am still sorting out ,it has been absolutely fantastic and as far as tech support from DIY...its been tops . I love the fact that I only had to put $650 in it (the ms DIYPNP and the innovate wideband ) Its super simple to tune and you learn a ton about the thing and what makes it tick during the assembly .

I am getting ready to buy another one to run my sons 20valve swapped MR2 with . I have run electromotive EMS and F.A.S.T. in the past and for what they cost (twice what MS costs) the bang for the buck is definitely with megasquirt.

Anyways that is just my personal experience with megasquirt.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
s-14
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by s-14 »

Any of you guys know if the ms3 for s13 ka24de will work for an s14 ka24de obd1? I'm just starting to look into this.
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

all of the universal MS units are designed to work on any car provided you wire it to work. The DIYPNPs are the ones that are application specific . AFAIK there is not an MS3 based DIYPNP though . They are microsquirt module based units running on MSxtra code.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

nismoautoxr wrote:all of the universal MS units are designed to work on any car provided you wire it to work. The DIYPNPs are the ones that are application specific . AFAIK there is not an MS3 based DIYPNP though . They are microsquirt module based units running on MSxtra code.
The closest thing to a MS3 DIYPNP is to make a plug and play adapter harness. We've put one prototype together for a S13 for testing a couple MS3 features.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
FricFrac
NooB

Post by FricFrac »

I'm just curious if anyone has a base map for the KA for MS or can at least point me in the right direction. For as popular as the KA is I'm having a tough time finding any base tunes and not for lack of searching. I suspect people are more comfortable with Nistune since MS requires a lot more planing/wiring, etc although from what I can tell MS is much much more flexible and expandable.

A friend of mine just did a KA swap into his S12 and I'm running MS3 on one of my 280ZX Turbos on my L28ET. It's an amazing piece of hardware for the price and the Tuner Studio is excellent. My friend is thinking about running MS and I've got a second unit I built for one of my other cars so I thought we could play around with it on the KA. I'll just fab up an adapter to the stock(ish) harness and it should be basically plug and play.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

We have a rather preliminary one in the DIYPNP documentation. There's a SOHC KA test mule in our parking lot today that we'll be using to develop a better map soon...
FricFrac
NooB

Post by FricFrac »

Awesome and Thanks Matt you guys are outstanding in your support, products and pricing. I finally installed the MS3 on my test mule - a 280ZXT and just with a base tune and running the VE it already runs better than ever. I'm absolutely thrilled with MS and my buddy after seeing the results is pumped about running it as well. I turned a few guys onto it already and one of them just recieved his kit. When I get back home I'll be building two more MS 3 kits for guys in town and I have another friend in our club I'm trying to get to convert over. There is a bit of a learning curve and it's fairly custom but those are both things that appeal to me.

I took advantage of your Black Friday sale and ordered in another MS3 kit and I thought I'd try out the waterproof connector kit. I'm doing so many installs lately I'm sure we'll be putting it to good use. Any update on the 280ZX optical encoder wheel? I already have the KA wheel and we're looking forward to playing with that ;)

Keep us posted on the base map!
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

FricFrac wrote:Any update on the 280ZX optical encoder wheel? I already have the KA wheel and we're looking forward to playing with that ;)
It's likely they will show up either sometime this week or the next. We have the PRI trade show this week, though, so we may not be able to put them on the website until Tuesday next week at the earliest.
Burnout240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Burnout240 »

MS3 is awesome! Even though I haven't hooked it into my car yet lol. I got the MS3 and MS3X combo for my S13. I built the MS3 already but I haven't started the DIYBOB adapter yet. Hopefully I wont have any trouble setting up the unit to work with my OEM MAF. I know MS is primarily a MAP based system.
TheSteve
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by TheSteve »

Add me to the list of running KA-Ts on MS. Only took like 3 years for me to get around to finishing it, but everything runs great. Running an MS2 on a 3.0 board, using the Nissan power transistor to run the coil. Idles nice and smooth even with 75lb low impedance injectors.

A couple years back I was playing with a megasquirted RB25, but never got it running. I was examining the harness I made years later and discovered (to much shock and anger) that I had wired the CAS backwards at first, which cooked it. No wonder I never got a RPM signal. Traded the engine for a motorcycle without ever driving it. Oh well. Was able to use the Nissan PTU on that to drive the 6 coilpacks independently as well. If only I'd noticed my wiring flaw when I still had it.
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

Burnout240 wrote:MS3 is awesome! Even though I haven't hooked it into my car yet lol. I got the MS3 and MS3X combo for my S13. I built the MS3 already but I haven't started the DIYBOB adapter yet. Hopefully I wont have any trouble setting up the unit to work with my OEM MAF. I know MS is primarily a MAP based system.
Just out of curiosity, why are you using the MAF?
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
TheSteve
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by TheSteve »

I'm also a bit curious about MAF vs MAP usage on these cars. I mean, there has to be a reason that nearly all of the OEMs these days are using MAFs instead of speed density. I'd like to see how it would affect the tuning process, the overall smoothness, accel enrich, steadiness in altitude changes, etc.
98camaroz
NooB

Post by 98camaroz »

i have been thinking about switching over to a different tuning software, i currently have a Emanage Ultimate and im pretty tired of not knowing what my tune does and all that. im running a t3/t4 on 15psi and running good and strong but i have been having trouble with injectors spraying all the same time, just curious about tunes, been looking at nistune and dreaming of AEM.