Lean Idle on JWT ecu, and normal driving.

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
motteram
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Lean Idle on JWT ecu, and normal driving.

Post by motteram »

Hey so I got my KA-T up and running, I have a t-25 on an s14 KA with 370cc injectors JWT ecu, Z32 MAF, FMIC pretty basic setup. Now my question is this. I plan on keeping the T-25 setup for a while but my end goal is about 350-375whp with a gt2871r and cams.
I'm currently seeing AFR's anywhere from 11.7-12.9 under full boost, 15.0-16.0 under normal driving (Which I think is a little lean) and I'm like 17.5-lean on idle. I did mount my wideband about 4 inches past the end of my turbo elbow on my downpipe instead of my turbo elbow so I'm not sure if that will affect the accuracy, but that is what AEM said to do in their instructions... My question is this. For my power goals current and future what is my best bet? JWT + a SAFC NEO for fine tuning, Greddy E-manage ultimate, or a full standalone.. I can afford all of these but the cheaper the better, and the cheaper the choice the sooner I can get it up and running. Thanks in advanced guys! I know its a very big question.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Lean Idle on JWT ecu, and normal driving.

Post by sdaigle240 »

did u buy it new? im sure a tweak would be free. enthalpy charges 150 for retunes for reference.

it seems like you could remedy with an adjustable FPR?

I believe there is a nismotronics ECU FS on here. that would be a really good bet. we have a pretty reputable tuner here locally who tunes it all: AEM, haltech MS, nistune etc and he just wont shut up about nismotronics lol. you cant go wrong with either but i would def skip bandaiding the JWT ecu if possible (adj fpr or safc). keep an eye out for nistune boards too, they will be a little cheaper than nismotronic only cuz its so new and will function similarly. the main buzz about nismotronic is the ability to tune via MAP sensor and chuck the MAF all while running an OEM modified board.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
motteram

Post by motteram »

Ok, so from what I gathered my best bet is to get a real time ROM tune, such as Nistune or Nismotronic? Also do you think that having such lean AFR's at idle would damage my engine? I'm just curious if the tune is "Safe" enough to drive on. I'm pretty new to tuning part of S-chassis's.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

yea, you got the right idea wrong verbage. ROM tune is JWT/enthalpy. RT ECU is like calum nistune or nismotronics. thats your call, you know what you have invested. i dont think 17 idle is going to hurt much and 15-16 cruise is ok ish. that WOT is def too lean though. no need to rush and chance stuff though....
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
ATL240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ATL240 »

I've been running my KA-t(daily) with those same A/F ratios for over a year now on an enthalpy tune. No problema!! I did some research and those A/F ratios are safe. Timing is a lot more important than running a little lean, and JWT is very safe with timing.
erich
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by erich »

You've got a boot leak after the throttle plate. Lean at high vacuum is usually a leak.
It also possible that your O2 sensor is bad.
motteram

Post by motteram »

Problem was fixed a while back. Swapped in a z32 Fuel filter fixed all AFR problems. Just didn't have time to post it up here. Thanks though guys!