240sx Wannabe

Low Boost Tuning

Post by dj_smooth »

S14 Nistune
KA24DE
TD05 20G
550cc Single Cam Injectors
12psi Wastegate
Gizzmo Knocklite (feature set is in this issue of DSport)
11.5 AFR

I am curious to know how people are tuning their low load section of the boost map, as in 5psi area. I want to make my under curve portion of the map more responcive. Would I just use the throttle to control the boost around that area, adjust, and watch the knock light once again? I'm weary of adding to much timing. Following the .75* keeps me safe. Adding timing after that would yield power within reason. I've messed with it quite alot, but am still scared to push it too much.

Look at load column 63 and 72. Timing is roughly the same throught the RPM range. It's my understanding that the lower rpm range needs less advancement to get full burn @ 10* top dead center (not sure if that is right, but it's something along those lines). As we go higher into the rev range, we are still using about the same timing. Since the engine is spinning faster, shouldn't spark happen sooner to achieve full combustion at around 10* top dead center? Granted we are watch for knock during this whole process.

With that being said, I feel that the 63 and 72 ect... load columns are not very well optimized for under the curve boost responce. Can someone please explain this better to me?
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Low Boost Tuning

Post by sdaigle240 »

the only person i know that quantified this on his specific setup was kfred. if you search a little you will probably find it. almost all his posts are worth reading so itll be worth your time lol. anyway i dont mean to put ideas in your head but ill say he found that almost no timing retard was required below 8psi... again for his specific setup. personally id dyno tune to say 8psi then interpolate backwards.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s