RTv2 no Consult

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

RTv2 no Consult

Post by Altima-DET »

Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted and have been able to contribute, hopefully that will change quickly. So after 4+yrs of sitting, the Altima is back on the road with the new turbo, big brakes and new master cylinder. The CalumRTv2 ecu is finally getting use. Everything has loaded up fine and I can load bins from EmUtility and adjust the tune thru TunerPro...... all the basics. But I have purchased Nistune and it will not connect or read the ecu. I cannot do anything with it since it's not reading the ECU.

Turns out the issue is that Consult (com port 3) on the RTv2 isn't talking. Now here's the deal..... Calum built this in 2008, life happened and so the Altima was put on the back burner. So the new turbo set up is on her and working great. The emulator is working fine since I am able to load bins, but these are all thru com port 4. I have opened up the ECU and pulled the board out to make sure the connections were clean and seated properly.... I found that there was a battery on the daughterboard (3.6v AA battery) and it was dead, so I replaced it and reinstalled the daughterboard. I reloaded the bin to the ecu and installed it back into the car. Tried to connect Nistune and still nothing from Com Port 3.

I have tried ECUTalk, and ConZult-Free as well just to see if any other consult softwares would talk with the board.... still nothing! I am almost at a loss but can only imagine it's something simple that I'm missing or need to do. I have gone over Calum's installation manual 3 times we all as all the info he sent me 5 yrs ago....... so any thought or helpful info anyone can provide it would be greatly appreciated.... I need to start data logging so I can make use of what's in the new setup.... GT35R,850cc injectors, N62 MAF...... It's screaming now at 7spi but I'm NOT going higher until I can figure where I am on the maps so I can finish tuning to 18psi
jmac636
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: RTv2 no Consult

Post by jmac636 »

It's most likely a com port communication problem. I had a problem like this with nistune using a cheaper consult cable from europe. I ended up buying an ECU talk cable and directly wiring my consult connector into the ecu. The only thing I can recommend before buying a new cable is to delete your FTDI drivers and reinstall the recommended FTDI drivers for the usb cable your using. Once done varify the you see the usb cable in Device manager> universal serial bus controller.

Here's a couple links that may help you.

http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx
http://support.moates.net/usb-drivers-ftclean/
http://support.moates.net/usb-driver-tr ... oting-101/
http://www.moates.net/usb-driver-p-215.html?cPath=78
1995 S14 daily built block nismotronics sr20det Ecu running my ka-t, synergy green S14 5.3l turbo 240sx 1/4 mile traps 135mph on 13psi and dr's.
Holset HE341 Install thread woohoo!!
viewtopic.php?t=48692
http://www.playloudclothing.com/
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

I appreciate this info. I will try doing that again tomorrow. I have already done it once but it never hurts to try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. If I can't get it by the weekend I'm just gonna go the same route you did. I need to start logging so I know where I'm at on the tables...... I feel like I'm flying blind on this tune and want to get this done so I can turn up the boost
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Thank you Jmac636!!!

There must have been a conflict on the drivers that was not showing up when you would right click on the port and look at properties.... I unistalled any software showing FTDI drivers on the search THEN ran FTClean.... reinstalled the drivers, plugged in the ecu and viola!!!
Let the Map Tracing and tuning BEING!

Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Scratch that! I connected the laptop this morning and guess what....?? cannot connect to consult thru Nistune or ECUTalk :( . They worked yesterday afternoon when I posted and now nothing! I'm going to replace the USB cable Calum has on the Daughterboard and hope for the best! if not then I'm just gonna order a consult cable from ECUTalk.
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

so I made a new USB cable for the Daughter Board and I even tried another laptop to rule out issues with the one I use for tuning.... Still can't get it to connect thru the USB to Consult, but it can upload and download bins without issues. CRAZZZY!
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by neverlift »

Why are you trying to read com port 3 in nistune when you know the consult is on com port 4? Set nistune to read com port 4 and see if it works.

I want to say contact calum and verify that board will work with nistune I cant see why it wouldnt work though. You dont have to use nistune to get a great tune tunerpro will do the trick.
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Per Calum (and Matt from Nistune) Consult on the RTv2 boards will only read from com port 3. Com port 4 is strictly for the emulator to upload and download bins to the emulator. I've confirmed with Matt that my board was compatible with Nistune before purchasing the software. I have 3 Calum ECUs between the cars in my stable and Nistune makes it easy for tuning them and map tracing with quick mods to the bin for upgrading injectors or changing out MAFs. The Altima is running so much better after running the bin thru Nistune than the changes I made thru TunerPro.... I like them both, but scaling injectors and allowing it to scale TP automatically in Nistune was so much faster! BTW in case you ask, Nistune and the Consult softwares work fine with the other ECUs. No issues with Consult or not being recognized by Nistune...... JUST the Altima is having issues

I have tried setting it to com port 4 only and it still isn't reading. You name it and I have tried it!