Can someone take a look at my megasquirt msq please

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
91boostedb20
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Can someone take a look at my megasquirt msq please

Post by 91boostedb20 »

Hi everyone, I recently installed ms2 extra on my ka24de swapped ae86. I got the car running about a week ago and got the idle area tuned and messed with the warm up enrichments a little bit. I pulled it out of the garage the other day so I can tweak the warm up enrichments more because its winter here. But anyway, I purchased the ve analyze live from tunerstudio for the autotune function, so today I decided to take the car for a drive for the first time with this installed. My car has an innovate lc-1 wideband wired into the ms2. As I was driving, the car would just not run smooth at all, even after ve analyze tuned most of the low rpm low load cells it would just jerk and buck all over the place. It doenst seem to want to go over 1500 rpms smoothly. I double checked my ignition timing, with a timing light,to the megaquirt and its right on. Maybe someone can take a look at my msq to see if maybe something is wrong, its a very rough ve table so dont expect anything smooth right now, ve analyze hasnt even touched anything above like 2500 rpms. I also noticed that my spark table is alot more conservative than alot of the other tunes I looked at, maybe im not giving it enough timing to run correctly? I tried to upload it on here but it wont let me, I can email it if you give me your email. I added the file to my google drive account: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9sX2q ... sp=sharing

The firmware is MS2extra serial 325

The engine setup is
KA24DE block bored .020 over
Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons
stock rods and crank
stock head
248/248 cams
STI yellow top 550cc injectors
3" exhaust
Using stock s13 ignition coil with bip373.

Right now the engine is just N/A, Im planning on installing the turbo on it after I can get a decent tune going on it now. I pulled the stock s13 ecu and wiring harness I had installed and running great off just before installing the ms2, so this engine was running properly before installing the ms2.
neverlift
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Can someone take a look at my megasquirt msq please

Post by neverlift »

I hate to sound like the normal response to anything related to ms but I highly recommend updating to the newest firmware 3.3.1 my car runs insanely better than it did on 3.2.5.
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

I will definitely update to the newest version. Im going to try a different timing map also, I think that has something to do with my problem. My timing map compared to others ive looked at is almost 10 degrees retarded at the 1800 up rpm range.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd go back to the MSQ you had before you tried the VE Analyzer. Does that fix it?
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

I can try it and see, does the ve analyze cause issues like that? It was definitely correcting the afr's as I was driving but it was just running real **** too.
neverlift

Post by neverlift »

well 10* is not really that much unless base timing is jacked up as well.

I was apparently over 20 degrees retarded(closer to 40) until I updated to the newer firmware, apparently I was experiencing a known bug. I was able to do a drift event n/a and extremely rich.

I have yet to use ve analyze live but I would assume it removed and adds fuel every so many events and then probably uses some algorithm to calculate an average for the cells hit(possible global?).
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

I loaded the latest firmware onto the ms2 tonight. I completely started with a new fresh basemap. Im just going to start over completely and see how that goes. Probably give that a try tomorrow and hope for the best.
neverlift

Post by neverlift »

did going back to the old msq help?

I really like the 3.3.1 FW so once setup it should work fine.

on premium you can probably get away with around 30* advance n/a wot iirc stock is like 28* depending on year.

I'll shoot you my email and I'll take a look at the msq once you get it running.
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

thanks neverlift,
I didn't try going back to the old one because I remember making the tune for the car on and off right after I finished assembling the ms2, which was a few months before I even installed it in the car. That's kinda why im just going to start fresh now that its installed and was running in the car, I just feel like that is a good idea. maybe that doesn't matter but its worth a shot.
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

I got the car running after work tonight. After it was warmed up I checked the ignition timing with my timing light and it was out. So I started to turn the rotor until I had it close with my trigger angle at 345* while cranking at 10*. I tightened the dizzy back Down and plugged the injectors back in and it won't start now. I'm not getting a steady rpm signal at all. It might show an rpm signal for a split second only once out of a bunch of engine rotations. I'm using the diy trigger disc in the stock dizzy. And every time it showed the rpm signal the ms2 would click the fuel pump relay. What do you think could be going on here?
91boostedb20

Post by 91boostedb20 »

Well tonight i had a friend come over that has successfully built and installed an ms2 in his car. We both went back over the circuit board looking at all solderr joints. I re-flowed a few of the solders because they looked dry. After re-installing it back in my car i had him help me get the dizzy timing set with the light. I also noticed while cranking that my rpm signal is stable now and doesnt cut out anymore. Git the ignition timing set and it started right up. Let it warm up and tuned idle area and some low load low rpms. I havent drove it yet but it sounds a million times better than it did the other day. One step at a time, i will make this megasquirt install successful!!!