ECU tuning options KA24DET

Discussion about ECU Tuning Products and Theories
Poody
NooB

ECU tuning options KA24DET

Post by Poody »

Hey guys, I'm new to this board, and I'm doing a lot of reading but I figured if post here too. I'll try to keep this short.

My friend just bought an s13 hatch with the intent of building/slapping a turbo on it. We will be building the stock KA24DE block.
He has a budget of roughly $6,000, and is shooting for a high 400 whp car when it's all said and done. I have limited experience tuning cars. I tuned my 450whp VW over the past year, but that was doable on the stock ecu which is wideband native, and obd2 flashable from the factory.

I know he will need an aftermarket wideband, and we have the hardware stuff all planned out, but what are my options as far as software goes? His budget is roughly $500 for a tuning setup, and I think I can get the actual tuning part done on my own, but what is the easiest and most effective way to go about tuning for a setup like this? I would prefer something quick and easy like the obd2 flashing I'm used to, but if there are better options, I'm open to those as well. Thanks in advance for the help, looking forward to getting this piece of the puzzle taken care of!
Bubba
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: ECU tuning options KA24DET

Post by Bubba »

Look into Nistune and NismoTronic.
My car is dead stock.... ish

http://mobileimports.freeforums.org
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

$500 won't cover both a decent tuning solution and a wideband - I hope the wideband was a separate line item.

We have a solder it yourself standalone kit called the DIYPNP that would completely replace the stock ECU and fit your budget, or for a bit more, you can get an MSPNP that plugs into the factory wiring harness and is ready to run. These allow you to tune your fuel and ignition curves with a laptop, and features include closed loop boost control by engine RPM and throttle position, the ability to convert to coil on plug, table switching for separate pump gas and race gas maps, flex fuel sensor support if you want to run E85, and more.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
Poody
NooB

Post by Poody »

Yes, the wide band is definitely separate item :)
Nismotronic looks like it would be perfect for me. Just to be clear:
It supports the addition of a MAP sensor, IAT sensor, and boost solenoid, and wide band. Are the sensors used just for data logging, or are they fully functional in terms of map inputs etc?
ATL240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ATL240 »

Why not just get a "mail tune" like from RS-enthalpy?? Very cheap, realiable, and should make the HP you're looking for. I'm making close to 400hp/tq with an enthalpy tune on 17psi. I could make more power but this is plenty for me, plus I daily drive it.
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

Megasquirt is the best bang for ur buck! Hands down there is also a lot of support for it on here look up megasquirt plug and play and then compared to others and you'll see what I mean
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
OnTheChip
240sx Wannabe

Post by OnTheChip »

Poody wrote:Yes, the wide band is definitely separate item :)
Nismotronic looks like it would be perfect for me. Just to be clear:
It supports the addition of a MAP sensor, IAT sensor, and boost solenoid, and wide band. Are the sensors used just for data logging, or are they fully functional in terms of map inputs etc?
With NismotronicSA, all of those sensors are fully functional. You can tune with MAF and/or MAP and IAT (speed-density). You can connect a boost solenoid and tune switchable high/low boost or high/low boost by gear. Also, a wide band can be used for closed loop fuel control using a target AFR map. It also supports flex-fuel if you ever want to go E85. All parameters can be logged to a lap top or there is also on-board data logging included (log while driving, download later). You will also be glad you went with a real-time tuning solution.
Poody
NooB

Post by Poody »

Perfect! Yeah real time sounds awesome. Flashing and logging constantly got annoying with my vw, and I'm sure it will be easier for my buddy to learn to tune real time and actually watch how changing maps effects the engine. Thanks for the pointers and info, definitely going with nismotronic!