E-manage Blue in Altima MAF setting

Also known as badass Altima's
Matt_kat_man
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

E-manage Blue in Altima MAF setting

Post by Matt_kat_man »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, i'm from Australia and I own a 96 bluebird SSS which is the Australian version of your Altima. Im running a small Garret GT2056 turbo in my KA24DE, 370cc injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and i've just put in a Blue E-manage. I've been trying to get it to idle with the stock MAF. Injector settings, TPS and ignition timing adjustments seem to be working, but the e-manage isn't recognizing the MAF. Theres like 25 different Air flow meters, I think the first 13 are NIssan. I'm just not sure what one it is, i've already tried NS_HW-1, NS_HW-7 and NS_HW-8 and none of these seem to work. Has anyone ever had this problem with the e-manage in their Altima? Does anyone know what air flow meter it is?
I cant tune my car without getting this working so your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt
drkstr
Learners Permit

Post by drkstr »

im not entirely sure... but the altima FI forums on nissanclub.com are a little more active than the ones here...
u13bluebirdSSS
NooB

Post by u13bluebirdSSS »

hi matt,

im adam from sydney australia,i have no idea how to use a forum but anyways i'd like some info on your car mate.i've got a 93 sss and thinking of kat but yea just wondering how you done your setup...did u buy a kit or plump it up yourself.theres no one that knows much about these cars in australia so its a shame we have to go on these american forums to find not much useful info because we have a fwd.basically im looking at a budget bolt on type build.any info would be greatly appreciated.cheers mate
Matt_kat_man

Post by Matt_kat_man »

Hi Adam,

If you want to get some basic ideas on how the setup should look and some of the parts you might need for your build, you should check out the Ka-t Rides section, there's a couple of really nice Turbocharged Altimas with some good photos and info.
This is a good example http://www.ka-t.org/brian_b.php.

I know what it's like struggling to find info here in Australia because there's no one here that turbo's these cars. I had the same problem when I did my car, you just have to do a lot of research. And this is the best place to look!

Basically I put my setup together myself, I did it fairly cheap by buying most of my parts from overseas. I was able to do all the modifications myself, apart from a few things like the intercooler piping and the tuning. A lot of things you can buy from ebay as long as your careful of cheap knockoffs. If you plan on getting a second hand Turbo off ebay make sure it's a genuine Garrett. A Garrett T25 or a T28 would be ideal if you just want to boost around the streets.

Here's some basic parts info:

Manifold: I recommend you get a quality manifold welded up by an exhaust shop that specializes in custom made manifolds. It might cost you $1000 or more but it will be worth it in the long run. I went with a cheap ebay manifold and I've had nothing but problems. I had to get the flange machined because it was warped and didn't sit flat and I've had it re-welded twice now due to it cracking and leaking exhaust gas. Plus with a custom made manifold you can get the turbo to sit exactly where you want it to and you won't have too many issues with space.

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets: Get quality ones from a Nissan Dealer because crappy paper gaskets will just blow out in no time at all. Also you can do what I did and buy a sheet of copper and make up your own gaskets, copper gaskets will last a lifetime and often seal better than paper ones.

Intercooler: Ebay intercooler made in Japan will do fine

Intercooler piping and silicone hose: You can get a kit off ebay and weld it up yourself or you can get a shop to do it. I would go 2.5 inch piping if you're running a small turbo.

Fuel pump: Walbro 255 (I wouldn't buy it off ebay). Or you can use a second hand fuel pump out of a WRX which is basically a Walbro 255. That's what I'm using in my car.

Piggyback ECU Management system: E-manage blue or Ultimate would be better. If you can afford it Haltech or AEM would be the best. E-manage Blue has it's limitations with tuning. I've had no problems with mine but it was a real pain to wire it up because there is no info, but I can help you out with that. And also if you use E-manage Blue get a Z32 MAF from a 300zx because the stock MAF will limit the air flow too much when tuning.

Injectors: You can use second hand 370cc (side-feed) injectors out of a Nissan Silvia. This is the cheapest option but the only problem is they won't be big enough for a decent tune, they will max out and you will run out of fuel at higher RPM when tuning. I would go at least 480cc or 550cc injectors. Just remember if you plan on using the E-manage Blue then you can only run injectors twice the size of the stock ones which are 280cc.

Oil Filter Sandwich Plate Adaptor: A cheap one will do fine, if you get one with two 1/8 NPT ports you can use one port for your oil feed to your turbo and the other for an oil pressure sender and gauge.

Oil feed and return lines: Just go to Pirtek or one of those places and get them to make up an oil feed line and for the return line use a 1/2 inch ID oil resistant hose and weld a 1/2 inch bung into the top of your oil pan.

EGR Block Off: Just make up your own block off plate!

And this is taking way too long so in summing up there is still more things you need to consider but those are the basic parts you will need. Sorry if I've left anything out but I can't think of everything right now.

Hope this has helped!

If you need any more info you can send me an email:

mattdesigner2010@yahoo.com.au
u13bluebirdSSS
NooB

Post by u13bluebirdSSS »

hey Matty,thx for the info I think I'm just going to get the bottom end forged up and stroked for now which is going to cost me nearly 5 g's and then when I save some more cabbage I will look at turbo...the biggest most major problem with turbo is I'm on my f&$@ing p's and I'm 26 lmao just got my license back after waiting 5yrs for it ! so I'm going to try putting a exemption form in to the rta so I can drive turbo's...I think it's **** that I can't drive a 3cyl turbo charade but I can drive a new 210kw commodore which is about 3times faster.anyways I can winge all I want no one will listen..that link you provided is dead by the way! I would love to see some pics of your car if u can send em to my bodgy email. maybebaby@y7mail.com and I'll send ya some back of my potential project sss ...also I would like to know what type of suspension do u have? cheers mate for the detailed reply
itwillboost
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by itwillboost »

Are you upgrading to emanage gold ? And I will check for you tomorrow if you didn't get an answer yet.
Matt_kat_man

Post by Matt_kat_man »

Hey Adam!

Sorry late reply, been real busy man!
Yeah that's a good idea if you rebuild your engine then you can just turbo it and run high boost without any worries! That really sux about not being able to drive a turbo on your P's, I hate the laws they really ruin it for us car enthusiasts! I'll send you some photos of my car then! At the moment I've just got Pedders sports springs and stock shocks but I'll be getting coilovers soon, not exactly sure what brand maybe BC, they cost around $1200 for a set. ALso, for that link just go to Ka-t.org home and then click on Rides and the pics are there!

In Reply to Itwillboost, not sure if I'm upgrading to Emanage Gold, haven't looked into it yet! Could you tell me what some of the benefits of Emanage Gold are? Also, the beginning of this thread is really old, I actually figured out the MAF setting a couple of years ago when I was tuning my car. It was that long ago that I can't even remember now what it was. Sorry bout that!
u13bluebirdSSS
NooB

Post by u13bluebirdSSS »

hey matt,I can't seem to find the rides section but really interested in seeing some pics of your car mate so feel free to send as many as you like to my email...also I wana know what injectors are you running? I'd like to upgrade mine but just wondering if there's bigger injectors I can scab of another car that will fit straight on??? let me know mate.cheers
itwillboost

Post by itwillboost »

Sorry for taking so long to answer, I am not on here that much. But emanage gold is an upgrade through the tuning software basically it just gives you more quality options. Do either of you 2 have build threads ? I am definitely interested in hearing/seeing more about your cars. And with the engine build, big boosties is great, I would look into buying someone's block who gave up on there build. It's cheaper and definitely worth it, plus a well built block is a well built block.
itwillboost

Post by itwillboost »

u13bluebirdSSS wrote:hey matt,I can't seem to find the rides section but really interested in seeing some pics of your car mate so feel free to send as many as you like to my email...also I wana know what injectors are you running? I'd like to upgrade mine but just wondering if there's bigger injectors I can scab of another car that will fit straight on??? let me know mate.cheers
Honestly your best off either modding the stock fuel rail or getting an aftermarket rail amd running some high level injectors. Good quality rc's maybe?
Matt_kat_man

Post by Matt_kat_man »

Yo Adam!

Sorry haven't sent pics yet, will try and send some tonight!
Yeah you can use 370cc side-feed injectors out of the Nissan Silvia with the SR20DET engine. They will drop straight in and you can get them second hand fairly cheap! But if you want to go bigger than that, say 550cc, you can buy some from America. There's a few brands out there like Venom, Nismo (really expensive), or Deatsch werks.

But I agree with itwillboost! A larger capacity fuel rail and some RC Top-feed injectors will flow a lot better than side-feed ones so that would be your best option. But maybe quite expensive. Since we're talking about injectors, I wonder if the E-manage Gold software upgrade will let you run bigger injectors, cause at the moment the biggest I can run with E-manage Blue is 2 X stock (280cc) = 560cc?
Really I can't go higher than 550cc!

Yeah I have some pics of my car somewhere in the post your ride pics section! Might have to update my build soon though! Haven't added photos in years!
itwillboost

Post by itwillboost »

I will look for the pics, and yes emanage gold would let you go in upgrade the injector size. I mention the rc's because they are cheaper than the nismo and more reliable imo than venom's. I know by me some shops will modify the fuel rails really cheap to work with top feeds.
Matt_kat_man

Post by Matt_kat_man »

That's cool! I will definitely have to look into Emanage Gold then! I'll hopefully be changing my turbo and manifold setup in a few months time. I have a new Garrett TO4S I'm going to install so I'll most likely upgrade to Emanage Gold when I have the car re-tuned. I'll probably start my own build thread then!

Yeah RC injectors seem to be the way to go. Thanks for the tips man, I'll look into modifying my fuel rail and see how much it will cost!