Just finished my first KA-t

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
240hoke
NooB

Just finished my first KA-t

Post by 240hoke »

Hey guys,

I just finished up a turbo install on my friend's 240sx (97). It was a very budget build using alot of ebay parts, but in the end I think it turned out very well. THe one thing I did insist on was using a good turbo, which we decided to go with a t3/t04e (.60 compressor, .63 a/r turbine).

Right now we are running the stock injectors and tuning with a SAFCII, His wastegate was shipped with hte wrong spring (20psi!!!!!!), so we have yet to be able to fully get on the car and do some tuning. When the spring comes in we will be tuning using a innovate wideband. Target boost for now is a safe 8psi, but more will come soon!

I actually enjoyed wokring on this car so much that I am considering building one. Im kinda wrapping up my 240z project so I might end up toying around with one of these for myself.

Still some loose ends to tie up but I built it with what he gave me lol. Here are some pictures:

SInce this is my first post here, and this forum seems to be all about showing off your ride, heres a few pictures of my 240z...

more pictures:
http://gallery.voodoo-people.com/austin
Shes running a little more then 8psi ;)
Last edited by 240hoke on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al_s14
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Al_s14 »

wow that looks so sweet! now is that me or is that an old skyline engine in taht Z? oh and is that custom IC piping on the S14?> i like that a lot
turbo2nr
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by turbo2nr »

probably a l series. 280z motor.

but i love your datsun. thats my dream car.

some questions about the ka-t i also have a 97 s14 thats going to be ka with the same setup that you guys did. did you throw any codes after the setup?
what did you do about egr?
and did you put a resistor on the o2 sensor?

also any problems while doing the ka-t.

thanks for the help, and glad it turned out good.
R.i.p. 97 s14
96 s14 ka-t
Al_s14
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Al_s14 »

turbo2nr wrote:probably a l series. 280z motor.

yeah but i dont remember old z's commign stock with turbo thus that valve cover either from other nissan and oly other l6 trubo i know of is the skyline
240hoke
NooB

Post by 240hoke »

Hey guys, its a l28et out of a 280zxt, super strong motors. I have this one worked over a bit :)

NO problems doing the ka-t swap, main thing as far as getting it to run right was setting the safc so the motor would decelerate and idle correctly when coming to a stop. Nothing was bought premade for a 240sx except the manifold. I made the oil lines, downpipe, wg dump, and intercooler piping. The i/c piping was made with just a ebay tubing coupler kit. The only thing I welded was a port for a IACV or whatever the thing coming out beside the TB is and the bov flange.

The car DOES throw a code, but I dont have the second o2 sensor hooked up yet. We will prolly put a resistor in it with time, not to concerned about it right now.
kaion1000
240sx Wannabe

Post by kaion1000 »

Awesome work on both cars they both look beautiful.

Just wonering if you have had any problems with the MAF being so close to the turbine housing... sometime it will cause the air passing through the MAF to swirl and throw off the MAFs reading. Also are you at least running an FMU with stock injectors? Again awesome work!
freekwonder
240sx Wannabe

Post by freekwonder »

beautiful cars. just plain beautiful. got to love old datsuns.
1971 Datsun 510
chris_venturini
240sx Wannabe

Post by chris_venturini »

that z = teh sex.
Before I bought my 240sx i wanted a 240z more than anything and came so close to buying one before the seller changed his mind and decided to keep it. :( oh well, i love my 240sx more than sex so its ok.
261.4 whp 250.5 wtq - 7lbs
southjrz240
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by southjrz240 »

i want a Datsun
http://www.ka-t.org/cain.htm
91 Hatch KA-T with the help of TURBO240
2389cc_S14
240sx Wannabe

Post by 2389cc_S14 »

240hoke, nice build man. Just wanted to know if you had more pics of the intercooler set-up. I was thinking of using the same IC pipe kit.

~T3/TO4E, 50 lbs inj, Z32 MAF, Enthalpy ECU, JGS mani, 8.8:1 Arias, Apex GT Spec Exh
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

That 280z is b-e-a-utiful!!

KA-T looks good as well.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Justin L
240sx Wannabe

Post by Justin L »

that's one of the cleanest z's i've ever seen.
240hoke
NooB

Post by 240hoke »

Just wonering if you have had any problems with the MAF being so close to the turbine housing... sometime it will cause the air passing through the MAF to swirl and throw off the MAFs reading. Also are you at least running an FMU with stock injectors? Again awesome work!
Well like I mentioned due to the stiff ass wastegate spring we havent been able to fully tune the car, mainly just checking for driveability and running it up till it hits 10psi and letting off the throttle. I would like to move the afm farther away, which we will do soon.

I HATE fmu's, we are using a safc which will allow us to trick the ecu into adding enough fuel for now. With stock injection and piddling with the wideband looks like it should be safe till about 10psi. Will have to grab some 270's to go much higher, but not worried about that now. Timing will have to be addressed when going much higher then that tooo... Im pretty new to these motors so im learning i dunno.

Thanks for the comments on my Z guys, Ive done a ground up rebuild on her for the past almost two years I guess. wantanbe's are coming soon so i can get a bit more traction. Hopeing for low 11's/high ten's. Mazworks has made and adaptor to allow me to use a z32 tranny, should be getting it soon :).
MaxRPM
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by MaxRPM »

swweeeetttt