What is the Koukster Up-too????FINISHED(updated 10/28)

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Koukster
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

What is the Koukster Up-too????FINISHED(updated 10/28)

Post by Koukster »

hmmmmm.....now what could I be up to?????? :twisted:

Last edited by Koukster on Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turbo2nr
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by turbo2nr »

love the color, if i ever sprayed over my car that would be the color, dark purple with gold rims FTW!
R.i.p. 97 s14
96 s14 ka-t
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

haha, funny you mentioned that........the cars not staying purple
volcom41488
240sx Wannabe

Post by volcom41488 »

i actually like that color to.. id keep it
babowc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by babowc »

i haaaaaaaateeeeeeeeeeeeee body work..
well, at least the spoiler rust on the s13.

looks good.. what are you planning on for color?
p00t wrote:. A turbo is basically changing the size of your motor depending on your mood 8)
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Shave the handles!!! 8)

Yeah what he said. What color?

Is that a heatgun? What were you using that for? just curious.
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

I liked the color when I first got the car because it is one of the rare ones. Then I caught a lot of crap from the local guys and after 7 months it has finally got the best of me.
I hate when people feel that they have the right to put your stuff down because they think there opinions matter :twisted: .

I too hate body work, I had a lot of very small minor dings on the passenger side, I assume from other peoples doors, it was like this when I bought the car.

The heat gun was used to loosen up the sticky clue that was on the back of the badgeing.

haha....I can't decide whether I want to:

1. Tell you the color
2. Give another teaser pic.
3. Or let you wait till the end of the week to see the finished product.
IlovemyKmotor
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by IlovemyKmotor »

hahah looks like mine when i was doing work to it!!! keep it up it will all be worth it in the end? willing to sell the front lip? then you'll have an extra bucks to put into paint!
vrrrmmmmmm pst vrrmmmmmmm pst vrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm pst...
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

haha thats really funny that you mentioned that......I just bought that lip 1 week ago...its brand new!!!!
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

Well, I didn't get as far as I would have liked this week, but I'm making progress. It was suppose to be done yesterday but maybe by next friday. Here are a few more pics

TanManS14
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TanManS14 »

Could you give me a process on exactly what you did to prep you bumper for paint? What grit sand paper and any solutions that you used. Sorry its a very basic question, but its either I paint it myelf 8) Or I take it somewhere and pay money( insert emotion that symbolizes gay). Thanks, I just want to get a little more confidence in painting something myself.
Tanner.
Ichi-Go
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ichi-Go »

Is that 2k primer?

Why didnt you 2k the entire car?
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

TanManS14 wrote:Could you give me a process on exactly what you did to prep you bumper for paint? What grit sand paper and any solutions that you used. Sorry its a very basic question, but its either I paint it myelf 8) Or I take it somewhere and pay money( insert emotion that symbolizes gay). Thanks, I just want to get a little more confidence in painting something myself.
Tanner.
Sure, If you look at the first pic you can see how I pressure washed all the loose paint off. The bumper was peeling paint from the previous owner not baking the bumper before he painted it (car was involved in a front in collision, bumper is new). The tough stuff I got off with a commercial paint thinner and then cleaned with a detergent. It's important to clean the bumper after every process. I then had to bake my bumper because it still had some additives in it. I then used a 2 thousand grit paper to allow a very light scuff. That is picture 2. Then clean it again with the detergent. After that I used a filler type of primer that sticks real good on plastic. If you try to spray your bumper yourself make sure your in the right conditions. This can prove to be difficult if you don't have a baking booth or paint booth like I'm using. Make sure the temp is about 70 and humidity is below 50%. Here are a couple of links that might help you.

http://www.paintscratch.com/automotive-paint-tips.htm

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/

After you primer it you'll need to wet sand it, clean, spray base coat, wet sand, clean, and repeat for all the following coats, and repeat the same process with the clear coat. Then buff.

Quick tip on your stroke. Make sure to use long steady strokes and depending on the guy your using ( I stay about 12inches back from the body) stay 10-15 inches back.
hope this helps.
Last edited by Koukster on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

Ichi-Go wrote:Is that 2k primer?

Why didnt you 2k the entire car?
yeah it is, good eye. We will use it on the whole car but, we need to scuff the rest of the paint before we apply it.
turtle
NooB

Post by turtle »

man you really should have primed to the edge of the door insted of stoping lik2 inches away of the edge and making a hard line. thats ganna be a bi*ch to get out. same on the quarter should of tried to mask off the the body line. aways good luck hope it all blocks out ok.
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

turtle wrote:man you really should have primed to the edge of the door insted of stoping lik2 inches away of the edge and making a hard line. thats ganna be a bi*ch to get out. same on the quarter should of tried to mask off the the body line. aways good luck hope it all blocks out ok.
read up one post......the car is getting covered....its not staying like that. We are not even done masking the car yet. thanks for the advice though. check back next week and hopefully I'll have it done.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Sure, If you look at the first pic you can see how I pressure washed all the loose paint off. The bumper was peeling paint from the previous owner not baking the bumper before he painted it (car was involved in a front in collision, bumper is new). The tough stuff I got off with a commercial paint thinner and then cleaned with a detergent. It's important to clean the bumper after every process. I then had to bake my bumper because it still had some additives in it. I then used a 2 thousand grit paper to allow a very light scuff. That is picture 2. Then clean it again with the detergent. After that I used a filler type of primer that sticks real good on plastic. If you try to spray your bumper yourself make sure your in the right conditions. This can prove to be difficult if you don't have a baking booth or paint booth like I'm using. Make sure the temp is about 70 and humidity is below 50%. Here are a couple of links that might help you.

http://www.paintscratch.com/automotive-paint-tips.htm

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/
After you primer it you'll need to wet sand it, clean, spray base coat, wet sand, clean, and repeat for all the following coats, and repeat the same process with the clear coat. Then buff.
Quick tip on your stroke. Make sure to use long steady strokes and depending on the guy your using ( I stay about 12inches back from the body) stay 10-15 inches back.
hope this helps.
[/quote]

Wow man, I really cant thank you enough. Thanks very much for helping me with this, Ill post picks when I start which will probably be a while until I get all the materials. Thank you very much and great links too. Thanks again.
240racr

Post by 240racr »

Koukster wrote: ... I then used a 2 thousand grit paper to allow a very light scuff. That is picture 2. Then clean it again with the detergent. After that I used a filler type of primer that sticks real good on plastic.....
Please tell me you sanded with somthing at least as corse as 600 grit before spraying the primer-filler. If not, you wil most likely find that your paint will start to fall off later.
Supertech pistons (10.5:1), eagle rods,
cometic headgasket
Precision T3/T4
mild p&p, pdm tri-flow turbo cams, custom exhaust, ETS mani and dump
Fully balanced rotating assembly, ACT clutch
AMS Fuel Kit (65lb injectors), meth/water injection, ebay fmic,
elec fans, z32 brakes, AEM EMS
360WHP
IlovemyKmotor
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by IlovemyKmotor »

where you get your front lip?!??!?!?!? I NEED ONE!!!!
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

240racr wrote:
Koukster wrote: If not, you wil most likely find that your paint will start to fall off later.
To some extent your right. For the guy at home I suppose I would use a more course paper, to save time and effort. However, in my situation, I use 2 thousand because I like to be flawless, by using a finer paper and pressing deeper into the bumper the primer is able to settle with just as much depth but with closer grooves. Also the paint we are using is statically charged so bonding is no problem. Its really a neat little trick it works a lot like the light that the dentist uses on your fillings.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Ok, so what would you reccomend? Start off with around 800 and work my way finer? Thanks man.
Tanner.
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

Sounds pretty good to me....most important thing is to take your time. I've been working on this car for almost 4 weeks now, some shops have you in and out in a week......just not my style.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Ok, Ill keep that in mind. Thanks again for all of your help.
Tanner.
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

She is finished!!!!! :D let me know what ya think.

BEFORE

AFTER!!!!!!!

Now its time for some wheels!!! Any idea's???
jfandem
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by jfandem »

Nice color.........looks good. Who did the paint job? How much does one like that cost?
1998 240sx...stock for now
projectdrifter
Dreams of owning a 240!

car lookls pimp

Post by projectdrifter »

very hot koukster. i will see you in about 45 min to take pics and get somne real photos of the beast. glad ur happy.
s14.5 soon to be turbo and show quality
IlovemyKmotor
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by IlovemyKmotor »

HOLY CRAP LOOKS AMAZING!!!!! do bronze colored wheels!!!! wow did you gut the whole thing? looks realllllly nice...Where did you get your front lip again?
turbo2nr
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by turbo2nr »

wow nice turn out. i say gold or bronze ftw! get some crazy rims 18x9+20/18x10+15..
R.i.p. 97 s14
96 s14 ka-t
ispentallmymoneyontires
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ispentallmymoneyontires »

im also intrested on what a job like that would cost to have you or someone else do it. vs what you spent yourself including the guns you used.
There are many paths to Enlightenment: but no one said they can't be taken sideways.
89'hatch rustolum black/96'motor s13 new trans/OBD1 convert/F1 flywheel/DSS steel driveshaft/headers, testpipe, egay N1dual/ JGS poly engine, tranny/ Cory's Coil mod

RIP 480sx
Koukster

Post by Koukster »

Thanks for all the postive feedback guys. I'm really glad you like it. It looks better in person. The car was not completely gutted. We removed the front windshield and pulled everything else off the car. The door panels where removed but the rest of the interior was untouched. The bill totalled $2,050, that included door sills, trunk, spraying the underside of the hood and trunk flat black, and a brand new windshield. I didn't have enough nerve to paint it, so I had another employee paint it. I would say it would cost the average person around 3K for this paint job. It would be possible to get it cheaper if you didn't have as much body damage as I did.