s13 Evo turbo build/s13.4 build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
smokey8611
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

s13 Evo turbo build/s13.4 build

Post by smokey8611 »

got my new turbo in. evo 8 turbo with 5,00 miles on it. 200 bucks. Just need a hotside. I got alot of parts in last week, forgot to take pics, but this is the main piece i was waiting on all week.Will hopefully pull the blown engine this weekend.

The manifold is being built by forcedfab.com to go into my new s13

Last edited by smokey8611 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
TanManS14
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TanManS14 »

Should be a cool build. What flange is on those?
It's always broken.
lov2xlr8
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by lov2xlr8 »

that is a pretty good turbo, they'r ballbearing turbos right? or that was on the 9? MR maybe? i can't remember, but i know they spool quick and can get you around 400HP
definitely nice, keep us updated on this
jwrose

Post by jwrose »

i didnt know dsm turbos were in good in the ka-t world... i always figured they were to small and would be somewhat the effect of putting a t-25 or something even smaller on our motor..
i thought they were just a good 2.0 turbo but would choke in the higher rpms on a 2.4
i guess thats the one thing i learned today...
built motor, custom bottom mount, t67, midmount i/c, blowthru z32, tial w/g, hks ssqv, d/w 740's, l/w flywheel, comp 4 puck, b&m shifter, no p/s, no a/c, no emissions

<b>Under Construction</b>
spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

jwrose wrote:i didnt know dsm turbos were in good in the ka-t world... i always figured they were to small and would be somewhat the effect of putting a t-25 or something even smaller on our motor..
i thought they were just a good 2.0 turbo but would choke in the higher rpms on a 2.4
i guess thats the one thing i learned today...
well we will see. the evo turboike a 16g. here is some info I found. And high rpms? We got tourqe, I dont need no rev 9k rpms to get me moving :) Plus twin scroll is cool.lol

one site says this:
evo 8Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR / USDM E8)
TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
Turbine = USDM EVO 8 & JDM GSR =Inconel (steel alloy),
RS/Rs2=Titanium alloy.
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

TD05HR 16G6 wheel
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 67.9mm

Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
nlzmo400r
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by nlzmo400r »

why get rid of the 2871R? Also, im assuming the manifold wil be made to take advantage of the twin scroll design?
'my drinking team has a racing problem'

13.213 @ 108.72mph gt32- .6bar/ 13.81@ 102.5mph stock z33
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

nooo. The 2871r is on the s14. The evo turbo is going on the s13 I just bought. I just have to pick up the engine this week. and yep, the mani and stuff will be using dual scroll
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

more new parts came in today.
yaaaaaaaaaaaa

I got a koyo s13, subframe collars and whiteline rear sway bar

Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
nlzmo400r

Post by nlzmo400r »

smokey8611 wrote:nooo. The 2871r is on the s14. The evo turbo is going on the s13 I just bought. I just have to pick up the engine this week. and yep, the mani and stuff will be using dual scroll

oh, ok good deal. Well if you plan to use the twin scroll then I gues it leaves your hotside choices very slim seeing as it too has to be twin scroll. Good luck with the project, keep us posted.
'my drinking team has a racing problem'

13.213 @ 108.72mph gt32- .6bar/ 13.81@ 102.5mph stock z33
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

Well I went and picked up the new s14 motor. The other motor I had bought had more damage to it than I thought, so I went and got another one with less miles

We pulled the motor out yesterday. WOW was my enegine bay dirty. SPent about three hours cleaning it up. That put a dent in it, kinda

I just realized soemthing. I have to use the s13 dizzy on the s13! I totally forgot that.

I dont have to worry about the mani cause I am going to have Jon make a custom one.

More pics tonight
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
glacier985

Post by glacier985 »

I really can't wait for this build to be finished, I'd like to see what power you will be making. I was going to put a 16g on my SOHC, but sold it and went with a t3/to4e
1990 240sx SE, 96K, ka24eT Time to Finish

smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

Update. Well I have just about every part I need now. Just missing my clutch and some lines.

I bought another KA becaue this one is cleaner and has less miles. So I decided to do a little cleaning up on the motor

The color is a silver/chrome mixed with a pearl red. We started just mixing ****, not knowing what color would come of it

Here is one of my three engine covers. STill have the bottom two to do as well.

Were the top radiator hose goes

I also started painting the block. Nothing too fancy. I barley cleaned it reall. Just a couple of air tools and some paint.

Before
after

I still have to powdercoat the oil pan.

Tonight we plan onstarting on the manifold for the turbo
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
gearhead290
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by gearhead290 »

I had an EVO 8 16g that I was going to use with my KA-t, but changed my mind. How do you make a manifold to compliment the twin scroll design? I still regret not using that turbo for my setup, i just didn't want to make my own manifold.
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

gearhead290 wrote:I had an EVO 8 16g that I was going to use with my KA-t, but changed my mind. How do you make a manifold to compliment the twin scroll design? I still regret not using that turbo for my setup, i just didn't want to make my own manifold.
Lol . I swear, when yall see what I'm using to make the manifold, people are gona laugh.

But I like being different :) Hopefully I will have pics tonight to show you what we did. SUpposed cut the exauhst flange tonight.
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

More pics here is the mani I will use. John wanted to make a custom one, but ifelt like being difficult this mont h and go this:

SSAC evo-8 mani. The damn thing lines up right with the KA block. SO we just have to cut the flange off, weld on the KA and wala

Also I test fitted some of the powdercoated parts to see how it would look on the engine

my dude chris
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
Jon@ForcedFab
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Jon@ForcedFab »

so yeah smokey may have cheeped out a little. but i am still making a thick walled SS version of the evo turbo manifolds, i cant put one of these ebay ones together and sleep well at night without worrying that it will come apart.

jon
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

^^ lol
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
el tigre
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by el tigre »

Holy 16G spins the opposite direction Batman! :lol:

Hey do you like the whiteline stuff? The US only US importer that supplies all the distrubutors is like 10 minutes away from my house. I still haven't bought anything from there yet though. :D
1981 AC El Tigre 5000
1991 240 SE KA-T, 5 sp. -Sold
1991 Miata, KA-T - Project
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Damn, cool idea with the ssac mani. Me like. Very original setup and i love the color of the timing chain cover and what not. Nice work man. Keep us updated.
It's always broken.
Jon@ForcedFab
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Jon@ForcedFab »

TanManS14 wrote:Damn, cool idea with the ssac mani. Me like. Very original setup and i love the color of the timing chain cover and what not. Nice work man. Keep us updated.
i really dont like the idea all that much, i worry about the reliability of it. that and i really dislike half assing things, but its his car and his money ill do it his way and then tell him i told you so when the thing brakes. I will be building the actual beefy version from scratch on one of our spare motors that way when it does brake he has the good one to put on.

hopefully tomorrow we will have the rest of the front of the motor and possibly the valve cover powder coated and looking cleaner.
if anyone is interested i am thinking about putting together a powder coated set for the motor. things like, valve cover,upper & lower timing covers, water pump pulley,thermostat housing,and alt bracket.

Jon
ispypsi

Post by ispypsi »

plus just because the runners line up doesnt mean the placement in the engine bay will clear everything or be super great.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Sometimes the price of the ssac mani is worth the risk. If he proves you all wrong, and the manifold holds, he saves about 100 bucks. If he dosnt, w/e he looses 100. Whatever is worth it to him.
It's always broken.
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

ispypsi wrote:plus just because the runners line up doesnt mean the placement in the engine bay will clear everything or be super great.
We cut it off last night. The way it stands, its just a little to close but not all that bad, but if we extend each runner out 1 inch at the most, it will clear perfectly! Damn mani took out 3 sawzall blades. lol

O and tan, I bought the main for $50, not $100 :)
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
pound

Post by pound »

it's looking damn good
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

smokey8611 wrote:
ispypsi wrote:plus just because the runners line up doesnt mean the placement in the engine bay will clear everything or be super great.
We cut it off last night. The way it stands, its just a little to close but not all that bad, but if we extend each runner out 1 inch at the most, it will clear perfectly! Damn mani took out 3 sawzall blades. lol

Even better lol. But after all of those sawzaw blades its prolly more lol. I love my sawzaw. The most useful tool Ive bought i think. Thing kinda scares me though sometimes, especially when you bend the blades on it.
It's always broken.
el tigre
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by el tigre »

I use lexon sawzall blades and dang, they hold up like crazy, I made my whole 3 in SECTIONAL downpipe and exhaust with 1 blade! It took a long freaking time though.
1981 AC El Tigre 5000
1991 240 SE KA-T, 5 sp. -Sold
1991 Miata, KA-T - Project
pound

Post by pound »

i cut my parts car in 3 pieces with a fire and rescue blade :D
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

TanManS14 wrote:
smokey8611 wrote:

Even better lol. But after all of those sawzaw blades its prolly more lol. I love my sawzaw. The most useful tool Ive bought i think. Thing kinda scares me though sometimes, especially when you bend the blades on it.

Yeaaa. Bending blades. I had never used one before till yesterday so my dumb arse cuts thu it then stops in the middle of a cut. Took us 10min to get the dang blade out. But it only took us like 10 mintues in cutting. Cut thru the manifold pretty good.
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Yea, I had to cut out my subframe collars with it. The key is i think is to get the butt of the sawzaw against what your cutting.
It's always broken.
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

Ok here is a update

We took the sawzall the evo mani the other day. It was first time using one so I did mess up a blade or two. But damn do those thing cut fast!

But we managed to cut the mani away and here are the pics of it

So next on the agenda was too finally finish the power coating th emajor parts of the engine block.

I spent the majority of this past week sandblasting for hours on end. The damn lower front cover is a biatch to clean becaus of all the nooks and crannies.

It came out pretty good. CHris did th emajority of powdercoating on the front cover

We have now copyrighted this custom color as "muave chardoney" hahah

Next we moved on to the oil pan. I was NOT concerned really about how it came out. It was so filthy( as most oil pan are) that I could have spent another 3 hours and it still woundt have been perfect.

Last for the night wa sthe valve cover. I decided to do this myself. Might as well learn now. Id dint come out the best but it was my first time.
I'm happy with it so it alllll good. Its a silver "chromy" type of color.

It was late and my chest hurt from powdercoating so much(remember kids: PPE, personal protective equipment works!!)

So we grabbed the mani to see how the fittement would work out. If we extend each runner by maybe a inch it will give great fittemnt(well, thats the plan....lol)

Here are some pics of it.

Here is the mani with the evo turbo

Well I still have a long ways to go But at least its starting to come togther

O and heres a special shoutout to those that rock 106mm turbos..

Im coming! lol

Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM