J-Rho's KA-T

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

They were about $2200 for the set, which I guess isn't too bad, considering they're 18x12.5" and 18x11" - my 17x7.5" Volk CE28N were over $2k.

These are the CCW "Track" Classics. They have a "Street" version of the Classics that includes center caps, and doesn't have as many lightening holes drilled in the center, for about $50/more a wheel.
--SM 240sx in the works...
Lance
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Lance »

if you don't mind posting the weights of the wheels.

And I have to say, that is one awesome setup from top to bottom
flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by flip240 »

Jason, I've been a fan of yours ever since you started you started posting on FA with your N/A track car... it's nice to see you transitioning to turbo ka, especially with your great attention to detail in building your last car.. i can see you're spending the same amount of effort on this one! 8) 8)
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Damn man.. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do as a profession?
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
MyRedS14

Post by MyRedS14 »

nissanfanatic wrote:Damn man.. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do as a profession?
I really wanted to ask this also....
1995 240sx SE KA-T
50k miles
FOR SALE? Make an offer over $8k

AMS GT32, JGS mani, 555's,
AEM Truboost, oil pressure gauge and wideband, GReddy RS bov
Tial wg, Walbro, JRC FMIC

Calum RealTime ECU
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

I didn't weigh my wheels, but based on other peoples' having weighed theirs, the 18x11's are about 20 pounds, and the 18x12.5's are about 22. They used to have a titanium hardware option that saved about a pound, but no longer...

Phil, this is a TON more work than the STS portion of the build was. The motor is just one piece of the puzzle. I'll have a big FA thread soon with more info. Once I post stuff there, all my SM competitors will know about it, trying to keep it on the down low for now.

If you guys watched over my shoulder for a work day, you'd say I get paid mostly to read car message boards on the Internet. 8) When I'm not doing that, I solve computer problems nobody else seems to be able to. More specificially, I specialize in the design and implementation of computer systems used by pharmaceutical companies to manage their data. The sort of thinking that goes into a successful car build can be of use in putting together a multi-million-dollar computer system.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I might look into that when I get out of the Navy.lol
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
turtl631

Post by turtl631 »

Great looking build. Hopefully the stock block works well for you, if not, I'm sure you'll have some tricks up your sleeve to get more out of it. I can't wait to see the chassis/suspension setup. Your STS car was pretty bonkers, this thing is just going to be fantastic. I'd love to see you develop it into an open track/time attack car someday too, as that's what I'm more into, but even this is interesting. Although I don't see how you could invest so much time and money in an autocross car after spending time on a track, it just seems so...boring to me. The thrill of competition?
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Trust me, I've done plenty of track days, that's not really the sort of thing I care to do that often any more. Sure, it can be thrilling to go faster, but at this point track days aren't as much fun as they once were.

Time Attack might get there one day, but it isn't there yet. I want to build my car to the limit of the rules, and in those settings there are generally minimal and immature rulesets. That means huge huge money to build a car, and when you start going too fast, they'll change the rules, negating all the time and money you put into whatever modification(s) they didn't like.

Autocross, especially in the classes outside of Stock, is interesting because it requires the combination of driver skill, car setup within a concise and stable ruleset, and race management skills. At the National events there are going to be deep fields, with at least half a dozen very skilled drivers competing in well prepared cars. So often, champsionships are won by less than a tenth of a second - it's that cloe.

Road racing is the next logical step but I don't know if I could stand to have some tool turn my finely crafted race car into a braking zone helper. I wouldn't mind racing somebody else's car (or on someone else's budget) though, where I don't have to see my own investment brought home in a wadded up pile ... :D
S13FREEAAK
240sx Wannabe

Post by S13FREEAAK »

You should sell me your wheels, they'd work awesome, I have the same flares. Man, I really miss my CCW's.

But on a serious note. What size wheels up front? What size tire?
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Front:
285/30-18 Hoosier A6 on 18x11" CCW with 6" backspace

Rear:
315/30-18 Hoosier A6 on 18x12.5" CCW with 8" backspace
turtl631

Post by turtl631 »

I see what you're saying. I've only been playing with cars for a few years and I only have 3 track events under my belt, so its all new to me pretty much. I imagine eventually you crave some real competition and autocross is a much safer and convenient way to get that, with very close fields as you said. Road racing looks like a $$ black hole...
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know I put together the whole thread over on Freshalloy:
http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=163184

I'll continue updating this thread as the motor gets put together and tuned and tested.

Enjoy!
jrivera

Post by jrivera »

Your car/setup is beautiful :shock: .

I love seeing clean cars with clean work. No cutting corners. Good luck with your season.
"All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one..."
jrivera

Post by jrivera »

Any more info?
"All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one..."
jrivera

Post by jrivera »

Any updates?
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

I warned the impatient they might get a bit frustrated... :D

Mani, turbine, downpipe, and dumptube are off to Swaintech for their White Lightning coating. 'Bout a 3 week turnaround. Lots to do in the meantime. Wiring, vacuum, breather, bodywork. I posted these on Freshalloy but will re-post here too-

Mockup of gauge/switch panel I'm having produced:

First putting the car on the ground with the big wheels/tires, no flares yet:
k4rr
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by k4rr »

Nice setup dude!

I love the CLASSICS!!!!!!! They are one of my all time favorite wheels!!!!

They quoted me 2400 for the bmw I had. And that was for 17's!!!

I guess they have went down on price a little in the last couple years.

What fender flares are those anyway? 280z stuff?
MyRedS14

Post by MyRedS14 »

I love the gauge/switch panel you have there!! You know AEM makes an oil pressure gauge right?

I have the Tru-Boost, A/F and Oil Pressure from AEM in the din under the radio. I just started designing a panel for a better layout and angle. Keep up the good work!!!
1995 240sx SE KA-T
50k miles
FOR SALE? Make an offer over $8k

AMS GT32, JGS mani, 555's,
AEM Truboost, oil pressure gauge and wideband, GReddy RS bov
Tial wg, Walbro, JRC FMIC

Calum RealTime ECU
jrivera

Post by jrivera »

Very nice. Didn't mean to make a double post :oops:
el tigre
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by el tigre »

That panel is sweet. Holy flying car batman! (that wing is pretty huge :wink: )
1981 AC El Tigre 5000
1991 240 SE KA-T, 5 sp. -Sold
1991 Miata, KA-T - Project
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Progressed far enough with the wiring last night to get the laptop talking to the AEM EMS, and do a fuel pressure test.

Turbine, downpipe, dump tube, and manifold got back from Swaintech today. The coating is interesting looking.

Hope to get this stuff on thecar tonight, and will try to get it started maybe tomorrow night. I blew it and didn't get the resistor pack for the 84lb. injectors, so AMS is overnighting me one so I can get the car running this weekend.

flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by flip240 »

woah! sexy!
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
SleepyS-14
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by SleepyS-14 »

You know, I love when people come on here and act like they are top sh!t just because they have all of this know-how and ability to make an actual race car. I am sick of these people that actually know what they are talking about and also test thier setups on the track. How can you live with your self. All of these rules about racing and techniques, PHSSSS. You make me sick!!!!

PS: One of the best threads ever to hit FA and here.
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems.

SOHC S-14...
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Baller...

And those are some pretty sheets too...!! hehe j/k
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
RBbugBITme

Post by RBbugBITme »

Nice work Jason. I'm very interested in the spool characteristics and the dyno chart with your entire manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe setup. Still stock cams though? I haven't looked into cams for the KA at all yet but I'm sure there is a set that can play with exhaust blowdown much to your benefit since you have a properly divided exhuast setup.

Just a thought.
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

I might be interested in some cams that had greater lift, especially in conjunction with some head work. The thing I'm most concered about is midrange though, in the ~3500-5500 range. Big cams with big overlap aren't going to do me any good if they have to hurt sub-4000rpm performance to pick up power above 6000.
RBbugBITme

Post by RBbugBITme »

Just so I know we're on same page, exhaust blowdown is when the exhaust valve opens before BDC and the hottest (and still expanding) exhuast gas sees the pressure differential across the valve and rushes out at sonic velocity.

The blowdown gases provide the most kinetic energy to spool the turbo so what I was saying is find a ex cam that gets you the best balance. Obviously the earlier you open the ex valve the less work is being done on the piston but more is being done through the turbine. Finding the right balance can improve overall torque though by spooling the turbo sooner.

I'm NOT suggesting finding the fattest cams out there so peak power is at 9000rpm, in case I came across like that....
Jason Rhoades
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Ahhh, gotcha Ryan, that is pretty interesting actually, hadn't considered that approach. The blowdown sounds like something that would be good at lower rpm, but that you'd want to advance the cam a little bit once the exhaust pulses were doing "enough" to keep the turbine spinning the right speed. Where's my VTC KA at? :wink:
RBbugBITme

Post by RBbugBITme »

Werd, probably a big part of why tiny Honda motors can be so powerful with well designed turbo systems.