new here with a new ka-t proj.

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
NISMOdrift10
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

new here with a new ka-t proj.

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

hey guys, i know most of you are rockin the S13's and S14's for the KA-T and that's real cool, that's how i started off, but i picked up a new project that ill keep you guys updated on. i got a 1988 Nissan 200sx (S12) with a KA swap ;). Hoping for a solid KA-T set up but now i'm just in the planning process. i'm sure ill be asking everyone for advice and help and such but just thought i'd introduce myself and my plan of attack. here's a couple pics... ****, but all i got.

VZ Research Co-owner/founder
JustS13R
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by JustS13R »

Man thats a clean s12 u got there, i used to have, but with a ka24det.
JustS13R
sideways_s12

Post by sideways_s12 »

that is a pretty clean s12 I have an 85 myself that I plan on doing a ka-t swap on soon just have to find a good dual cam donor
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

nice, i got a buddy of mine doing an SR swap who's giving me his DOHC, harness, and ECU :) so hopefully i'll be able to pull off a lower power ka-t set up (looking for 240-250whp).
1wheelwonder
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 1wheelwonder »

Hell yeah your S12 is going to make for a awesome ride.
morodo_s13

Post by morodo_s13 »

nice s12 ive seen you over club-s12,
Razo240sx

Post by Razo240sx »

that thing is clean! pretty nice
ridin4life

Post by ridin4life »

u stole my idea damn time to put a vq30 in a s12.i cant find a s12 around here for a decent price. everybody want my arm and leg +my left nut lol.but seriously if any body knows of one in nj ny area iv been looking for one.
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

hah, yeah i'm on club-s12 and yeah i've only seen 1 around my area ever. and it's in complete **** condition but that's what you get with rare cars like that. its becoming almost as bad as getting your hands on an AE86 price-wise.
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

Are you going to bolt the old s12 tranny to the ka?? I remember that you could swap the bellhousing and use the s12 tranny, but if i'm not mistaken (correct me if i'm wrong) the s12 tranny is not able to hold a lot of power.

And if that's the case, would you be able to use a Ka tranny and make a custom driveshaft??
morodo_s13

Post by morodo_s13 »

Ihiryu wrote:Are you going to bolt the old s12 tranny to the ka?? I remember that you could swap the bellhousing and use the s12 tranny, but if i'm not mistaken (correct me if i'm wrong) the s12 tranny is not able to hold a lot of power.

And if that's the case, would you be able to use a Ka tranny and make a custom driveshaft??
you can use the ka tranny on the s12 without swapping bellhousings,

but you will have to add the front 240sx part of the driveshaft
and put it in place of the stock s12 one
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

i BELIEVE the internals of the trannys are identical and the only thing different between the ka, sr, ca, and rb20 trannys are the bellhousing and output shaft. in my case, i used my old ca20e tranny and stock s12 driveshaft and boltet it up to a ka bellhousing and used that on my ka. had no issues with it at all. i guess i'll find out sooner or later if a ca tranny can hold under some big hp lol. but yeah, like the person above me said, you CAN use a ka tranny on a S12, you just have to use the front part of the 2 piece S13 driveshaft which bolts up with the back part of the S12 driveshaft. so there's basically 2 ways to do it. i just used the ka bellhousing and ca tranny and it worked great for me, no issues... yet.
Matt89

Post by Matt89 »

Damn, that car looks clean. It's funny how all the accessories look the same as an s13... ie: brake booster and windshield wiper motor thingy.
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

heh, that's Nissan for ya.
sideways_s12

Post by sideways_s12 »

morodo_s13 wrote:
Ihiryu wrote:Are you going to bolt the old s12 tranny to the ka?? I remember that you could swap the bellhousing and use the s12 tranny, but if i'm not mistaken (correct me if i'm wrong) the s12 tranny is not able to hold a lot of power.

the s12 also comes with a c trans that holds more power that u can use and it bolts right up
dopeassjackson
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by dopeassjackson »

OOOOOOO
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

Lol, thanks for the answers, I can now sleep better at night /sarcasm. No but seriously, I was looking into doing a ka-t in a s12 too. But what swayed me away was the tranny deal, but now I know about the whole ka tranny just switching the head of the driveshaft. (I did this on my vert s13, but using the manual head of the driveshaft onto the automatic body)
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

yeah the tranny deal tends to scare a lot of people away but it really isnt to complicated, fairly easy imo. theres at least 3 different ways to go about it, all can be done within a matter or an hour or 2 so it's not too too bad.
dopeassjackson
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by dopeassjackson »

"whats the tranny deal"
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

i mean that people often get scared because the ka tranny doesnt bolt up to the S12 driveshaft so people tend to think you have to fabricate all sorts of **** and they dont realize it's as simple as swapping a bellhousing or the front part of the driveshaft. i just mean that people tend to think it's a lot more complicated then it really is.
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

And you said you are rocking a ca18 tranny?? an E tranny or DE?? I dunno if they are any different. But how much HP have you heard on the E tranny?? I'm sorry for threadjacking but I'm very interested it in, I can get a turbo s12 in austin for 300 bucks and it has a blown motor, and I have a few dohc ka's lying around too.
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

the stock motor in my car was a CA20E so i have the CA20E tranny with a bellhousing off of a KA. if you still have the blown motor in the car and the tranny was solid, u can use the tranny with the KA bellhousing. i'd say do it dude. the car's are cheap and its something other than the everyday S13 or S14 ya know? give it a shot.
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

i may, gotta see how funds are looking, how is suspension for the s12, good aftermarket support, and my fear, just like on my convertible s13, how hard is it to find the OEM replacemenarts; like iinterior
NISMOdrift10

Post by NISMOdrift10 »

suspension is terrible. you have to frankenstein all sorts of suspension parts by using Z31, S13, and S14 suspension components. if you have the will and the time, the suspensoin can be done up real nice. Megan Racing is in the prototype stage of a complete S12 coilover set up hopefully to be out on the market sometime this year which would be huge for S12 owners. if you check out www.club-s12.org there is a ton of parts cars and such in the for sale section where you could replace basically anything you need so that's not too big of a deal. check the site out, theres a ton of info, its how i learned everything for my S12.