What you look like when your built motor was done wrong...

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
8-bit
SuperMod

What you look like when your built motor was done wrong...

Post by 8-bit »

Hey guys.. Here' s a few pics of the garage stalls i'm using, I'm not so much bothered with switching out motors again, but mostly only pissed that I someday wanted 400 whp out of the built one and it wont be reasonably possible on this stock style one... Here's some pics of the blown motor (with black VC) and 48k miles stock DOHC (silver VC), and some of the progress I made today. I also got one of the inside of an e-bay catch can. i'd like an opinion on the can... the pic is done thorugh the drain plug... you can see there are 2 nipples that go in and out but there is no filter material or mesh or anything... I'm thinking of putting steel wool in there or something.. suggestions??

http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

I don't get it...what was wrong with the new motor?
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
jrivera
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by jrivera »

Number 3 looks bad
"All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one..."
keaser06

Post by keaser06 »

looks like blew the exhaust gasket on 4 and 3 looks like the valve stem seals are bad and its burnin oil :-/

"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races"
-Carrol Shelby

"Turbo lag is gods way of giving v8's a chance."
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Looks like the seals are bad...common issue with a 15yr old motor....person either ran the car hot or didnt change oil...
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
SM240

Post by SM240 »

Looks like mine :cry: Im guessing ring issues, thats what my exhaust looks like too. I put on a few different heads thinking valve seals, but all 4 had oil in #1 exhaust port. Im pulling that one appart this week, and in goes my old stocker. Sucks but Ill hopefully have it running fine on the stocker, well see......gl with yours man
morodo_s13

Post by morodo_s13 »

so the only reason why it would have oil there is because of the valve stem seals?
how hard is it to replace?

same thing happened to my ka24et
Biggamehitt

Post by Biggamehitt »

ahhh i just pulled my 3rd KA out... Cly #3 had tons of oil in it
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

as for changing seals...requires you to take timing chain, cams, and valve springs off...i changed seals with head on block but i wouldnt advise of it...if a valve drops in motor, you gotta take the head off...

But could be rings too...
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Yo yo!

Let me clear things up. The pic you see where cyl3 is fuxxed up is the rebuilt/built motor with full AMS Advanced kit. I dont' have a pic of the sparkplug, but the gap is mashed shut and the whole plug is coated in aluminum.

The nonbuilt motor is the one with 48k miles on it that you see in the air with the manifold/turbo mounted on it. Thats the one i'll be pushing 12psi on until it blows and I need another (or the machine shop I need to talk to fixes everything wrong with the built one).

The exhaust leak has been a common issue with these motors and the copper gasket. What I find is that you gotta drive the car for a day or two after putting on manifold. The heat stretches the studs/nuts a little bit and loosens the whole setup. Then you retorque em down the next day.

I will try to get a pic of the sparkplug as soon as I remember to (its not at my house)

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

Ahh, I didn't pay attention to the head pics. Now it makes sense.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
morodo_s13

Post by morodo_s13 »

8 bit

so is it the rings or the valve seals on your motor?
s13sr20coupe
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: What you look like when your built motor was done wrong.

Post by s13sr20coupe »

Image[/quote]

looks like a smiley face.
95 Pearl White S14, Tein coilovers, Tein Tension Rods, Sparco Steering Wheel, Sportmax Wheels, BFgoodrich tires, Greddy Shift Knob, Subframe Spacers, Adjustable rear camber arm thingies, HKS Hipermax Exhaust.

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

well if the plug has aluminum and bent I can only say the cylinder ran lean for some odd reason, melting the aluminum and causing the compression to sky rocket which would close the gap on the plug...the injector didnt open??? must mean something drastic happened like a lean mixture...just a thought...

In the pick birds eye view of the cylinder, looks like the piston is coated with melted metal...sorry for the troubles.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

supakat wrote:well if the plug has aluminum and bent I can only say the cylinder ran lean for some odd reason, melting the aluminum and causing the compression to sky rocket which would close the gap on the plug...the injector didnt open??? must mean something drastic happened like a lean mixture...just a thought...

In the pick birds eye view of the cylinder, looks like the piston is coated with melted metal...sorry for the troubles.
hah.. the pic you're talkinga bout is the inside of an oil catch tank, not they cyl...

I'm gonna get that injector flowtested to make sure it was pushign 615cc like the others.... ugh.

kxmike87

Post by kxmike87 »

8-bit wrote: The exhaust leak has been a common issue with these motors and the copper gasket. What I find is that you gotta drive the car for a day or two after putting on manifold. The heat stretches the studs/nuts a little bit and loosens the whole setup. Then you retorque em down the next day.

I will try to get a pic of the sparkplug as soon as I remember to (its not at my house)
remember copper relaxes alot
Mike
S14 Kouki Conversion
Fully built KA24DE
BC V3 Cams
SR20 clutch Backing it(the irony)
T3/To4e with dual ball bearing GT CHRA
Z32 MAF
Nistune at 14psi and rising
1000cc Injectors-Precision Turbo
Self_tuned :)
and more....
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

hmmm...who would have known...looked like you tried taking a pic of the cylinder...if you stated that my bad...didnt see any captions
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel