check out the welded diff

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
twofortydriver
Dreams of owning a 240!

check out the welded diff

Post by twofortydriver »

lights out
the two things l love in life
the diff
miggin

the wire i used was ultra high tensile strength.

i burned at around 21 volts 275 inches per minute

i dont believe that it will ever break. because there are eight welds. and they would all have to break at the same time to screw something up.
oskars13kat
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by oskars13kat »

thumbs up for welded diff :twisted:
hcwt
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by hcwt »

Very nice
tire roast vid after you get it back in?
92 Coupe
--------------------
Megan Short shifter
Bomz cheap short ram intake
2 1/2 cat back with homemade Blast pipes
Dropped on Tein Springs
MTX450

Post by MTX450 »

I AGREE...Welded diffs are the ****

It worked so well, it melted the spider gears together. Stick welding FTW.
EFI Tuner
Haltech Engine Management Systems
drifty240
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Welded dif

Post by drifty240 »

hcwt wrote:Very nice

Not to jack your thread but how many people on here have welded diff on daily drivers?

I am moving from on street parking to garage parking so no more parrelle parking ...time for welded diff..
MTX450

Re: Welded dif

Post by MTX450 »

drifty240 wrote:

Not to jack your thread but how many people on here have welded diff on daily drivers?

I am moving from on street parking to garage parking so no more parrelle parking ...time for welded diff..
yeah, all your co-workers are going to look at you like your car is broken b/c your tires are going to be chirping haha, but its all good in the hood
EFI Tuner
Haltech Engine Management Systems
Prok0

Post by Prok0 »

Looks pretty good
I also do these areas for extra strength, where the gear meets the casing on all 4 corners of each side..I didnt circle where the gear meets the casing behind the ring gear because you cant see it, but you get the idea..
With a mig its real easy to do, just shove the wire in there, point, and click.

hcwt

Post by hcwt »

wow you sounds like my welding teacher freshmen year
he told all of the other kids
"all right it's like drawing little circles. Now go and do your finals"
92 Coupe
--------------------
Megan Short shifter
Dropped on Tein Springs
dft24ds
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by dft24ds »

To drifty240
I have a welded diff for daily and I'll tell you its rough! When you cruise around it ain't bad at all,Straight line is awesome couldn't ask for anything better. Then taking turns or parking is kind of a bi*ch because the car "pops" and bounces all around. Not to mention it eats the F*#K out of your rear tires. If you are daily I wouldn't advise to do it, if you drive like 3 times a week or less or race at all for that matter go for it. You will def. be happy with what you got.
Oh and twofortydriver looks good man let us know how you like it.
Someone sell me a KA to replace the dead one in my car!!
ispentallmymoneyontires
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ispentallmymoneyontires »

u look like the kid from the punisher movie -all the peircings
There are many paths to Enlightenment: but no one said they can't be taken sideways.
89'hatch rustolum black/96'motor s13 new trans/OBD1 convert/F1 flywheel/DSS steel driveshaft/headers, testpipe, egay N1dual/ JGS poly engine, tranny/ Cory's Coil mod

RIP 480sx
twofortydriver
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by twofortydriver »

Prok0 wrote:Looks pretty good
I also do these areas for extra strength, where the gear meets the casing on all 4 corners of each side..I didnt circle where the gear meets the casing behind the ring gear because you cant see it, but you get the idea..

Thats a big no-no. never wanna weld forged gears to a cast case. they absorb and dissapate heat at different rates therfore weakining the metal. but im sure the other eight welds would have held it all together.

i was thinking about trying it daily for a while, but i know ill be throwin the stock one back in someday.(yes its a spare) then i can rent it to my friends!

ya ill try and get a vid.

but it will be after the swap. sorry guys im goin sr20- i just couldnt pass it up. the motor was basically given to me.
1993Coupe
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by 1993Coupe »

welded for daily isnt too bad if oyur a man.

pros:
able to hit it up evey time
more predictable
sounds cool when it chirps. haha

cons:
decrease your turning radius
looks like you cant drive stick when going around turns (car hops and ****)
if you ever have to push your car out of a parking spot or something, your ***** pretty much. lol
always want to go backwards liek at u turns and **** when your stopped.

i dunno all the cons are worth it to me.
ZiG

Re: Welded dif

Post by ZiG »

MTX450 wrote:
drifty240 wrote:

yeah, all your co-workers are going to look at you like your car is broken b/c your tires are going to be chirping haha, but its all good in the hood
And in a way, they will be right...
hcwt

Post by hcwt »

I mean what would you guys perfer LSD or the welded
I've had welded diffs in a few of my trucks and it wasn't that bad
but it made for really cool burnouts and things of that nature
So maybe Welded diff is a poor mans Lsd?
92 Coupe
--------------------
Megan Short shifter
Dropped on Tein Springs
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

My kaaz feels like a welded diff unless i have the clutch in. I didn't want to go welded b/c i thought it would be too harsh. :?

If i could do it again i would probably go welded.

Only problem with a welded diff is when one wheel comes off the ground, something has got to give.

I've had one wheel come off the ground with my kaaz (darn wheel hop) and it made one hell of a noise, but the clutches slipped. And my axles remain intact.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
insanitykouki
240sx Wannabe

Post by insanitykouki »

i have a kaaz waiting at a friends house till me tax return shows up in the next 2 months. mmmm can just feel it now... i wouldnt weld a diff, yah i guess it works but its pretty ghetto. should pry heat up yer springs to lower it as well...
1998 Nissan 240sx SE: T3/T04E .50trim 63a/r turbo, JGS top mount manifold, JGS wastegate, JGS dump/IC piping, ebay intercooler, EFI ECU, Perrin BOV, JWT Cams, EnjukuRacing driveshaft, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 6-puck clutch, KYB GR2 shocks, Aluminum underdrive pulley, Walbro pump, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, Blitz Nur Spec-R Catback, B&M Short Shifter, 350z rims + falken azenis, Tein Tie rods/ends, AEM Tru-Boost, Greddy Downpipe, BattleVersion RUCAs, KAAZ LSD.
97kouki
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 97kouki »

twofortydriver wrote:
Prok0 wrote:Looks pretty good

Thats a big no-no. never wanna weld forged gears to a cast case. they absorb and dissapate heat at different rates therfore weakining the metal. but im sure the other eight welds would have held it all together.

i was thinking about trying it daily for a while, but i know ill be throwin the stock one back in someday.(yes its a spare) then i can rent it to my friends!

ya ill try and get a vid.

but it will be after the swap. sorry guys im goin sr20- i just couldnt pass it up. the motor was basically given to me.
i actually had a welded diff in mine and welded it where the spider gears meet the chunk and never had any problem out of mine. i drove it that way every day for a year
i inspected it when i pulled it out and put an open dif back in because got tired of going thru tired so quick. and didnt have a sign of cracking at all. good old lincoln lockers.
el tigre
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by el tigre »

I'm not going to lie, I think it would be preferable to stick weld it, or possibly FCAW. I would say you would want to lower the cooling rate and maybe preheat the cast before it's welded.
1981 AC El Tigre 5000
1991 240 SE KA-T, 5 sp. -Sold
1991 Miata, KA-T - Project
ATLspeed

Post by ATLspeed »

Welded Diff FTW...and FTL!!! its a 50/50 for me. I went threw 2 welded diffs and im not even ka-t lol. Welded diffs are pretty cool except the dragging of the wheel when turning. Im gonna try and go for a LSD this time since i fubbed up the spider gears in my diff, i dont think there re-weledable anymore. ill post pics of mine later
hotrodstu77

Post by hotrodstu77 »

i lucked out wih the VLSD and i love it!! made for on hell of a burnout and chirps third gear no prob. also is great for cornering. and you can usually buy 240 VLSDs for like a hundered bucks on ebay. pretty sweet deals to get reults like this:

Crazy about the KA
mod list so far:cold air, clutchmasters twin friction, nismo clutch master, short throw, VLSD, 3" ebay exhuast, SSAC mani, .42/.48 garret t3, FMIC, Tein prings, Tokico Blue struts
The Nissan 240sx: It's a lot of sports car, but you can handle it.
Canadians are born drifters!
Dodge Cummins vs. Ford Powerstroke= I'd rather be cummin then strokin
SkylineKin
240sx Wannabe

Post by SkylineKin »

I had a welded in my daily for a while, it was pretty hardcore but It was a lot of fun. My friend has a Kaaz 2-way and as far as noises when making tight turns its about the same as my welded was.
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

SkylineKin wrote:I had a welded in my daily for a while, it was pretty hardcore but It was a lot of fun. My friend has a Kaaz 2-way and as far as noises when making tight turns its about the same as my welded was.
I have the kaaz too. Man does that thing make some racket when you are running drag radials! Chirping street tires doesn't bother me, but the dr's don't slip, so you get really bad clunking/shaking.

Doesn't bother me because its a weekend car, but for a daily it would get annoying.