'95 Zenki KA-T build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
hpipro4
240sx Wannabe

Post by hpipro4 »

Kamilitaryman wrote:Thanks hpipro. As good as it looks, I can't justify spending $145 on that. Are they even in production? The kit I linked has all the lines and the oil filter adapter.
mewantkouki wrote:^ Does that thing use -8 or -10 an fittings?
It uses -8AN fittings.

http://zilvia.net/f/group-buys/301711-s ... d-2-a.html
ya they come with 8an and the threads are also 8an on the block itself.

yes! thought the same but i think its worth it because no else makes em. yeah they still make em. i pmed manonegra and he shipped it out quick.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

hpipro4 wrote:but i think its worth it because no else makes em.
Agreed, definitely a unique piece! I dig it.

2 Questions:

Q1: Do you guys re-use or re-install the gigantic O-rings that the stock fuel injector "sits" on? The injector itself has 2 O-rings. I'm talking about the big boy on the intake manifold. I went top-feed and not sure if I still have to use these. My guess is yes?

Q2: When relocating the oil filter, do I have to worry about the elevation of the oil filter itself in relation to the feed/return from the block?

Thanks ahead for any input.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Walperstyle wrote:I see you bought Kool Tools kits as well. 8)
Hell yea man. Made assembling the hoses a breeze!

Small update:

I took my plenum off of my intake and tapped the .410" hole left behind by the air regulator with 1/4" NPT. I will be using this hole to feed a vacuum line to the AEM boost controller via a -4AN SS braided line. I'm going to run dedicated vacuum lines to everything that requires vacuum: FPR, BMC etc. I'll post a pic later.

I also got my pulleys back from powder coating. They look amazing, but came out a little darker than my valve cover. Oh well. I'll probably end up coating the fuel rail with metallic black.

Last edited by Kamilitaryman on Mon May 06, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

So I picked up a bike yesterday! She runs, but rough. Seems to hesitate in the lower RPM range. The battery is dead. Over all, I really cant complain for $400. I wanted something I could fix up so this fit right in :) It's a '81 CB650C

Also, it was my bday on 5-1. The wifey got me a gift. The bike was also a bday gift from the family :)

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Ordered some more stuffs:

-HKS BOV weld on flange
-snap ring pliers set
-37° tube flaring kit from Summit
-3/8 plugs for my upper intake manifold (I didn't like my current plugs)
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Time for a valve adjustment and carb cleaning!

I used to have an 82 yamaha maxim 650 among other bikes, really similar and a lot of fun screaming down the road at 8k plus rpm
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

schmauster920 wrote:Time for a valve adjustment and carb cleaning!

I used to have an 82 yamaha maxim 650 among other bikes, really similar and a lot of fun screaming down the road at 8k plus rpm
Yup. Just not today :) Gonna spend some time with the Silvia today. I love how simple these older bikes are though. This is my 1st one ever and I couldn't be more happy :)

update:

The flare kit I got from summit is NOT working for me :(. The fuel lines are 5/16 but the the 5/16" hole on the tool is too tight and the two halves will not join together without a giant gap. The micrometer reads 0.27 on the tool & the pipe is 0.31 I know that the tool has to bite into the pipe a bit, but it should also fit snug and not have a gap between the two halves. I have some bad luck sometimes...

Im going to tackle the intake manifold & MAP sensor today.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Small update:

This is how I'm feeding my MAP sensor. Tapped the hole where the air regulator use to be with 1/4" NPT. As you can see from the pic, I'll have to re-tap it a bit deeper to sink the fitting in more. I also re-capped my EGR sensor port with a M10x1.25 bolt w/ teflon tape and an O-ring.

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

To my understanding, you simply wire in the map sensor into the existing MAF wiring OR run all new wires to the ECU.

I was thinking of mounting mine on the upper timing cover since it'd be closer to the existing MAF wires.

Show me where you guys mount your actual MAP sensor and how did you manage the wires?

Thank you ahead for sharing!
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by wesamiss »

correct me if i am wrong, it makes more sense to me to use the existing MAFS wiring. its shielded and already ran with the harness. boom

ps - but ive never ran a MAP sensor soooo
WES
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

wesamiss wrote:correct me if i am wrong, it makes more sense to me to use the existing MAFS wiring. its shielded and already ran with the harness. boom

ps - but ive never ran a MAP sensor soooo
I'm really considering giving ChaseBays a call for a custom harness. I hate wiring, especially wiring that's old and brittle. You can get their harness w/ every plug for your sensors already there. :dunno: Chances are I'm going to pull the trigger on this...

In the meantime, I did order another 37° SAE Flaring Tool from here - http://www.toolbarn.com/ridgid-41162.html

The one I got from Summit sucked to put it shortly, I returned it the next day.

I also looked into the steering rack. The cheapest one I found was on RockAuto for $209 with a $135 core. I might just buy the seal kit and rebuild the one I have.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Update:

Buttoned down all brake lines & clutch lines in the bay, this way they don't flex like crazy when used. Reinstalled the intake collector but kept the old throttle body off - I'll be getting a new one along with a new TPS sensor. Removed the steering rack to get it ready for a rebuild. The rack seal kit should be here sometime next week along with my AN flare tool. I'm still tempted to call Chasebays for a new harness...
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Update:

I've spent the last few hours piecing together my power steering lines. I was really trying to keep the cost down but it's nearly impossible with AN fittings. My setup is going to completely replace all of the stock lines, fittings & cooler.

I'll post a list of the items to hopefully help the next nub trying to accomplish the same :)

Steering rack fittings:

-6AN to 16mmx1.5 male w/ O-ring
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-648060

-6AN to 14mmx1.5 male w/ O-ring
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-648070

P/S pump fittings:

Power Steering Pump -10 AN Inlet Fitting
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5060073-krc-pow ... tting.html

-6AN to 18mmx1.5 male w/ O-ring outlet (replaces internal restrictor, long & ugly joint and banjo bolt)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-670531

High pressure hose from P/S outlet to steering rack:

-6AN Hose end to Female -6AN, 90° (x2)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-259106

High pressure stainless steel braided hose (3 feet)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-632600

Feed hose from reservoir to P/S pump:

-10AN Hose end to Female -10AN, 90° for reservoir outlet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220087b

-10AN Hose end to Female -10AN, 45° for P/S pump inlet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220086b

-10AN stainless steel braided hose (already had some laying around)

- 6AN Hose end to Female -6AN, 90° (x4) for oil cooler, reservoir inlet and steering rack outlet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220687b

Reservoir:

Speedway Motors P/S reservoir tank w/ -6AN inlet and -10AN outlet
Speedway Vertical Steering Reservoir Tanks - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Oil Cooler:

Derale Performance Compact Fluid Cooler, 4 row w/ -6AN inlet/outlet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13309

Hope this helps someone, because I just spent like 30 minutes typing this **** out haha
Last edited by Kamilitaryman on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

I didn't get **** done yesterday because I got invited to my buddy's for some bear burgers and bear steaks. How can you say no? That lead to watching two hockey games and getting buzzed. I'm gonna tear the steering rack apart and hopefully get it all rebuilt and back in the car today. Never done one so I have no idea how long it will take. Most of everything I listed in the above post should arrive today. Looks like my order from Summit was split into 3 shipments.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

So,
I've been poking around the FSM to find some info on the P/S pressure switch. I found out exactly what it does (as I never really knew). Turns out it works together with the IACV to regulate engine speed when the P/S sensor detects a load in steering. I'm guessing I don't really need this switch anymore, since I ditched everything else in the intake manifold. I'll probably set the idle around 850-900.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Caved and bought a new steering rack & pinion. To hell with rebuilding the old one as I didn't have all the necessary tools to do it. The rack seal tool was nearly as much as the damn rack itself! Along with the rack I also bought a set of Energy bushings. Motor is going in after the rack!
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Hah! Nice. New racks with fresh bushings are beautiful, especially the red bushings. I ended up doing that as well.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

shift_down wrote:Hah! Nice. New racks with fresh bushings are beautiful, especially the red bushings. I ended up doing that as well.
Yep, I saw how purdy your red ones looked and got them too ;)
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Scored a S14 VLSD last night from a seller on Zilvia :) That place is great for parts lol
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

gonna be busy this week:

-need to drop the crappy open differential & rear sub-frame
-replace sub-frame bushings
-install rear coil-overs
-install my fresh LSD differential and reinstall the sub-frame
-install steering rack & new rack bushings
-install flywheel & clutch, drop the motor in!
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Motor and house look badass! Ive been following the thread, there are so many good ideas in here. Love the attention to detail!

I have a relatively huge list of things to do on my build also.. i know the feeling
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

schmauster920 wrote:Motor and house look badass! Ive been following the thread, there are so many good ideas in here. Love the attention to detail!

I have a relatively huge list of things to do on my build also.. i know the feeling
Thank you very much! Always good to hear some positive feedback :) Hopefully the things I've documented will help someone else down the road.

You've got a sweet build going as well. Keep up the good work!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Progress :)

Gave my buddy $30, my IC and some brackets. This is what came of it:

The steering rack is in but not fully installed. I'm waiting on the plastic dust collar that goes on the pinion shaft. Mine broke off a while back, just forgot to order it! doh!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Update (pretty pumped about it):

Took the motor off of the stand and mounted the flywheel and the clutch assembly. It was tough to get the flywheel alignment dowels in, so I threw the flywheel in the oven @ 235F and the dowels into the freezer. They went in like butter with a lil bit of grease after that. Finally after that, I reunited the chassis and the motor. It took 4 long years to get to this point. Next up - power steering then fuel delivery.

Onto the pics:

The old back plate was rusty and beat up, so I bought a new one from Nissan.

Had to heat the flywheel to get it onto the crank as well.

SPEC clutch disk, hopefully it will hold.

Pressure plate

And here we are....4 years later! LOL

Checkin hood clearance - not sure if it will clear...

BMC to turbine housing clearance. I'm super glad I got the ChaseBays lines...

The wastegate just cleared with these fittings. I might try something different here.

2FAS240
240sx Wannabe

Post by 2FAS240 »

Looks like she is coming together nicely!!! Keep it up i can't wait for my tuning appointment on the 8th to get mine back on the road!!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

2FAS240 wrote:Looks like she is coming together nicely!!! Keep it up i can't wait for my tuning appointment on the 8th to get mine back on the road!!
Hell yes man. This is the motivation that I needed. Seeing the motor in the car makes me wanna be out in the garage non-stop. Today I'm going to tackle the power steering plumbing and hopefully tomorrow the rest of the fuel delivery.

Be sure to post the dyno sheet once you get her tuned!
2FAS240
240sx Wannabe

Post by 2FAS240 »

i most def will!!! i wish i could of got it in sooner but FullBlown Motorsports is booked solid till then i'm sure they are taking a few days off for the 4th to though!

what all are you running for a fuel setup?
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

I went with ID1000s, Beercandrifter's fuel rail, 340lph pump, high flow filter, and of course the regulator. Lines in bay will be SS braided. Rest is stock.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Hey guys,

Has anyone here used this TB?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-70MM-THROTT ... 0a&vxp=mtr

Thanks ahead for any input.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Small update:

Ordered a few small items:
- Energy Suspension rear subframe bushings
- new TPS and TB gasket from RockAuto
- SICKSPEED aluminum throttle body - they are popular in the Honda world so meh, why the ***** not.

I'd like to fire her up at least once with all of the necessary components 1st, before throwing the rest of the parts on. I need to drop off the fuel rail @ my friends to get powder coated. I'll mock up the fuel lines after that. The power steering **** can wait. Today's goal is to get the transmission installed. It needs to happen before I attempt to mock up the intercooler piping and exhaust. The motor rocks back and forth too much on it's mounts without the transmission in there and could cause issues when its time to tighten **** down.