Beercans s13

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
supakat
SuperMod

Re: Beercans s13

Post by supakat »

Beercan, after our pm's I did a search and found this. You probably read it. http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... uning.html Anyways, I bet your sequential but I am still on batch and ran richer idle afr's and pretty smooth now. I do not have an IACV on either. I know I am going to Cocoa May 16th. Maybe we can meet up but you will probably have this figured out by then.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

supakat wrote:Beercan, after our pm's I did a search and found this. You probably read it. http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... uning.html Anyways, I bet your sequential but I am still on batch and ran richer idle afr's and pretty smooth now. I do not have an IACV on either. I know I am going to Cocoa May 16th. Maybe we can meet up but you will probably have this figured out by then.
I am on sequential at the moment
found there was a initial value table that was zeroed out for closed loop. that solved the initial idle on startup, now just need to figure out the settings when idle after decel. progress. I did try out the warmup idle on my way back from the grocery store, little much to try and just configure in a parking lot when the wife is waiting on me at home for dinner =). ty guys for the link

have the bottom half of my tune pretty much set at this point. ve analyze live ftw.

was trying to stay out of the wot range since i have a bit of oil leaking into my coolant when i go past that 70% throttle/4krpm range. a nice young fellow with his girlfriend on the back of his mid sized sports bike wanted to have a go earlier (im thinking he wont be having a good night), but was on a section of road that was 55 so I gave him the first couple gears from a stop (~60% throttle first, ~70% most of second and apparently a k rpm of wot, oh how sexy it sounds, cruise in third after i hit the speed limit). was ahead of him there in second gear until i let off. got a thumbs up out of it and a wave. beautiful night though, no one on the road, nice cool breeze, perfect night for a cruise.

was only trying to go get my cruise part of the table nailed down so i can start driving my baby to work instead of the loaner volvo we have. assuming no problems with the coolant staying in lower ranges, will start driving end of this week. super excited, been 2.5 years, really have missed her. will begin the hunt for some aftermarket heads or a deal on a 6 liter block, probably just the heads as i dont really mind the little 4.8. plenty of power for me .. for now
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
emmo
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by emmo »

This is a really sweet build! Super impressive how much of it is totally DIY. Looks great!
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

thanks

was looking through an issue of superstreet the other day and found some cobeau seats in a black/grey pattern with reclining that caught my eye. might try to save up for a pair of those for the 240 since i have a grey interior.

http://corbeau.com/reclining-seats/a4.html
2nd one from the right in their pic with all
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
hotbox240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by hotbox240 »

Any updates on this thing? I'm starting to get an LS itch...it's bad because once you start scratching it...it won't go away.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

hotbox240 wrote:it's bad because once you start scratching it...it won't go away.
Should probably get that looked at =)

I should post some videos or something, have been daily driving the car to work for months now. anyone for a cruise?

I need to redo my exhaust, have some clearance issues (like i hit my exhaust going over railroad tracks and it occasionally is enough force to pop the exhaust out of the v-band clamp). Local exhaust shop that I had do some of the work on my 240 when it was turbo wanted ~800$ to fab me a new exhaust for the v8 because there's no clearance in the floor pan on the passenger side.

Car has been running good, only have a few things left to iron out.

Had the driver side wiper start squeeling on me, seems there was a washer at one point on the mechanical linkage under the wiper that started to corrode and was grinding against itself. so, took it apart, hit it with some wd40 and cleaned up the debris on it. working good as new.

Still have to get the initial cold startup ironed out in tunerstudio. Somewhere between the warmup enrichment and afterstart enrichment, the car sits for about a minute at a really lean afr and doesnt idle without a little gas. Just been dealing with it for the time being, used to having to feather gas with the turbo setup and no iacv back then.

also need to take an afternoon and configure the sequential ignition and finish the top half rpm range of my tuning map, specifically the part that isnt wot =)

want to paint the car too, again. missed a really good deal on a used compressor, so i'm keeping my eye out for another one. I saw the guy who did a negative of a FR-s body in fiberglass, really wish i had a spare FR-S laying around so I could do that to mine.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good to hear man. Summer is almost done. Then you can really dial in on the cold start. Have you played with the idle advance option in TS? This helped stabilize my idle and warm up.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

supakat wrote:Good to hear man. Summer is almost done. Then you can really dial in on the cold start. Have you played with the idle advance option in TS? This helped stabilize my idle and warm up.
have not played with the idle advance, did mess around with the timing tables a little bit in the idle range.

let me know you swing up this way next time, can meet up with you and go for boba tea or something over in orlando
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Will do. I haven't been to my uncles in Cocoa in awhile. I need to get out there and go fishing.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

pulled the trigger and ordered some stuff to fab a new exhaust yesterday. old one kept hitting stuff and popping off my vband clamp on the drivers side.

old setup was dual 2.5" mufflers merging to a y pipe going out to the back half of my apexi 3" exhaust

switching to dual 2.5" straight pipes with y merge, going to a 3" muffler out to the back half of my apexi 3" exhaust

should flow a little better and give be about 3" more clearance under the car since i can put the single muffler right under the driveshaft where the stock exhaust ran. hindsight, i should have ordered some 45* mandrels so im not hacking stuff together with my grinder and weak welding skills (or its just wednesday and i have time to order some, fixed lol). how i would love to have a chop saw to cut things at correct angles and keep the cuts straight. Will take some pics when i get it put together
hotbox240

Post by hotbox240 »

Why not build a turbo manifold while your at it.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

hotbox240 wrote:Why not build a turbo manifold while your at it.
I personally not build one. Use the aftermarket headers he has, merging them up front, and putting an HX55 at the end of it. :bowdown:
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

hotbox240 wrote:Why not build a turbo manifold while your at it.
have a spare set of the truck headers sitting in my garage for if/when that happens. I do have some foresight =) really dont want to pull my motor to put on a new clutch right now though

on another note, seems im not getting my 45* mandrel bends in by today, so i cant make the new exhaust.

cut the 90* bend with the vband flange that wasnt sitting right off, clamped up the bend on the header then rewelded the drivers side pipe up. Will have to hold me until i get all the exhaust stuff in next week. beautiful weather outside, finally can go out there and work. gonna take the car out this afternoon and do some tuning and mess with the sequential settings.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

so i got all my bends in, took them to the local exhaust shop. They took my 2.5" mufflers off and just did 2.5" pipe to a y pipe to my apexi catback. They said i had something loose in my header under my heat wrap that i should figure out what it is when i get home. fired it up, was loud, but raspy as all get out. Was so stoked that it sounded like that (imagine c7 borla exhaust raspy). it also shot a fireball when it started up.

took it home, pulled the header, was a 1.5" gaping hole that went halfway around the downpipe of the header. edge of it looks like the metal tore from the leverage of holding the other side of the exhaust when the vband kept falling off and it culminated when they took the exhaust off. So I patched it up with some spare pipe, cut to fit the hole.

Drove it to work today, I cant hear the exhaust when I drive now, I am severely disappointed. my v8 sounds like a Prius at wot now

seems I had some gaping holes in my old diy exhaust that were basically making it so only part of it was going through the back half of the exhaust, like i missed welding a couple seams some how, not sure how that even happened.

on a plus note, i found some exhaust cutouts for a decent price. I envision a side exit cutout
hotbox240

Post by hotbox240 »

Post a drive by clip.
12.43 @ 115.06 - 05/2010
12.28 @ 117.61 - 08/2016
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Will have to get someone to help me do that unless i go out and ghost ride the whip lol
if stars align, i may take the car to the track friday night, run it for the first time with the 8

pic of the car this morning, beautiful sunrises this week
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Where's the like button? Looking good. God luck at the track.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Was getting horrid gas mileage (~10-12mpg), had pretty stable afr's so I started going for the timing changes.

Original table was based off of the LS truck maps, which for some reason differ significantly from the car ls variants in regards to timing

Old map based off truck/base map

New map based of the holden commodore

Have been slowly working through the rpm band on the new timing to make sure i didn't have any worse pinging at a minimum and from that perspective it has been better. Still having trouble keeping traction in third on the nt05's. The car doesn't sound as loud now either. have been able to gain about 30% increase in mileage (based on increase of trips i was able to make to work).

idle is slowly getting better, having the hole in the exhaust definitely hurt the tuning of that before. only have a little surging when its cold out now, so will play with the iacv/timing a bit in that range. but seriously, no one cares about idle, we just want to see the car go fast.

bit curious for anyone who has started looking at fuel economy for cruise though, is there a good way to dial in the fuel consumption based on rpm? Don't see why you need mph to figure out how much fuel your engine is consuming at a given rpm unless you are trying to calculate mpg.
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

I don't have a speed input to my ms either, but use the gallons per hour gauge to get an idea of where I am (can take mph and divide by gph in real time to get approximate mpg).

With some logging and data filtering, you can look at certain map/rpm combos and gauge the gph affects on timing advance.

I've also seen some people use veal after timing changes, and keep the timing values that correspond to the lower ve value (less fuel to make same amount of power)
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

BigLoukaT wrote:I don't have a speed input to my ms either, but use the gallons per hour gauge to get an idea of where I am (can take mph and divide by gph in real time to get approximate mpg).

With some logging and data filtering, you can look at certain map/rpm combos and gauge the gph affects on timing advance.

I've also seen some people use veal after timing changes, and keep the timing values that correspond to the lower ve value (less fuel to make same amount of power)
will have to go find the gauge on my desktop, i think the netbook resolution is cutting off some of the menus when i go to mess with the gauges
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Not sure if ms3 is different than ms2 in this regard, but the gauge I use is found in the trip/economy menu and is the fuel flow -gaugefuelflowlbhr (right clicking on dashboard
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

BigLoukaT wrote:Not sure if ms3 is different than ms2 in this regard, but the gauge I use is found in the trip/economy menu and is the fuel flow -gaugefuelflowlbhr (right clicking on dashboard
yeah, went and found it the other day, somehow i just missed it.

so after having a few issues with my alternator putting out a low voltage due to the exciter wire, i took apart my alternator today and modded it today with a self exciting regulator (2004 gto regulator D702SE). not getting under 13.5v now on the system, was getting 12's for an output before. half of the accessories on the 240 dont like working under 13 volts (power windows..). the ls alternators have multiple configurations (some requiring resistance in the exciter wire, some requiring multiple wires, etc)

can also put in a stereo now, was looking at one of these for just a cheap way to play some mp3s http://www.amazon.com/Power-AcoustikIn- ... 1248879011
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

This week. Paint.

Last edited by beercandrifter on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

have to finish sanding her rear end and then do the drivers side door and rear quarter, then its on to paint
and for some reason i posted crappy pictures of icing on the roof, that was smoothed out. this particular icing dried much quicker than i was used to, only had about 30 seconds before it hardened.
ground down and por-15'ed the heck out of all the metal on the front end, and did the area around the sun roof, and under the hatch.
so you know, that crap doesnt come off your hands with anything, so when you feel lazy and dont want to put gloves on a second time, you will have black hands.
good news is i know it wont come off the car for a good 10 years.
i dont know what it is, but these cars look so sexy in black. if i had ac, i would consider restoring the original black. will be working on making a coolant free ac unit here after i get past all the craziness next month
supakat
SuperMod

Re: Beercans s13 (pics added 3/23)

Post by supakat »

Nice progress Beercan...so I guess you going black?
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Re: Beercans s13 (pics added 3/23)

Post by beercandrifter »

supakat wrote:Nice progress Beercan...so I guess you going black?
arctic white. i only sprayed one coat of white the last time i did it, so going to do it right this time.

Just started raining. Think God is telling me to take a break, feeling quite woosie even with the respirator. Been at it for 8 hours today. on a positive note, i had enough foresight to buy a car cover =)

do believe this is the last time i am ever painting a car "oh its just 200$ for paint, thats so much cheaper than having a shop do it for 3000$". Can understand why they charge 3000$ for a decent paint job
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Beercans s13 (pics added 3/24)

Post by adamky »

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Keep posting lots of pips. I have to paint my driver's side fender and I have no idea what I am doing.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Painting is a hard job but high yielding results. Well painting is easy, it is the prep work that makes it horrendous. Looks good man. Is that sealer or primer in gray?
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

supakat wrote:Painting is a hard job but high yielding results. Well painting is easy, it is the prep work that makes it horrendous. Looks good man. Is that sealer or primer in gray?
just a primer.

trying to figure out how to do this today. its thunderstorms every other 2 hours. seems like if i time it good enough (lol @ human plans), i can sand and get a coat in before it starts again. thunderstorms all tomorrow and sunday too

have to get the unibody painted this weekend. can do the panels on my patio if all else fails