Beercans s13

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Beercans s13

Post by beercandrifter »

Here is the current setup I have on the car:

Brakes
---------
Z32 rear calipers
Z32 drum ebrake
R33 ebrake cables with a custom mount
Stock front calipers (holding out for some money to get one of def's wilwood setups)
Brembo rotors on the front

Footwork
---------
Front:
inchiba 5 lug conversion hubs
battle version TC Rods w/ sphericals
Koni Yellows With GC Sleeves and 6" long 440lb springs
Adjusted shocks to 360* from full soft
Drag Dr-31 17x9 +17 wheels @ 22lbs
Nitto Nt-05 235's

Rear:
Z32 alum uprights and n/a 5 lug hubs
Z32 Koni Yellows with modified S13 GC Sleeves (to fit the z32 shock) and 7" 300lb springs
Adjusted shocks to 180* from full soft
Drag Dr-31 17x9 +17 wheels @ 22lbs
Nitto Nt-05 255's

Drivetrain mods:
2004 Chevy Silverado 4.8 small block
Ls9 camshaft
Comp 918 springs
Siemena Deka 60lb Injectors
Z06 Stock Clutch/Flywheel
LS1 Fbody intake manifold
Silverado cable throttlebody
Ebay 8 AN fuel rails
Aeromotive A1000 FPR
cxracing radiator
Altima fans
autometer gauges
innovate wideband (lc-1)
apexi hybrid megaphone muffler to a y pipe
modified truck headers
megasquirt 3
megasquirt 3 expansion board
custom wire harness (using diyautotune prelabeled wire bundle)
walbro 255lph fuel pump
2015 Chevy Corvette Arctic White paint
z fender flares

Old Engine Mods (for the old ka-t):
1995 KA24DE block
Arias Pistons 8.8:1
AMS/BC Pro Rods (for 1k hp)
ACL bearings
polished crank
blueprinted shortblock
decked head & timing cover
cometic .090 metal gasket
arp head and main studs (10mm)
brian crower v2 264/264 cams
Delphi 95lb injectors (1000cc)
Nissan D21 Flywheel
ACT 6 puck z32 300zx N/A clutch

Other Stuff:
mazworx log turbo manifold
holset hx-35 turbo (12 cm housing 7 blade)
tial 38mm mv-s wastegate 2x 8lb spring
turboxs mbc +0 lbs boost
1g dsm bov
cxracing intercooler
cxracing radiator
ford taurus 3speed fan
csr oil catch can
autometer gauges
innovate wideband (lc-1)
apexi hybrid megaphone exhaust
megasquirt 2v3 w/ 24-1 trigger wheel
walbro 255lph fuel pump
skullworx ka24de oil block adapter
jgstools prefabbed oil lines
summit racing bright white paint
z fender flares

Well to preface the build that I'm bringing over from my brevardmotorsports thread, the car was bought with intentions of using for road racing / time attack and dabble in drifting down the road. my goal is 350hp with room to expand. This board has saved me many a headache and helped me to understand my car when the fsm wouldn't cut it

Lowdown on the car. I picked this 240 up from Carisma (formerly M Auto Group) out in longwood, for well more than i should have. but hey what did I know then, I just wanted a 240 and here one was. Was my first project car and I was ready to get started. Bought the car with a possible busted head gasket, there was water in the oil.

Ripped the head off of the dual cam ka, come to find a big supprise, the head gasket was in perfect condition. Ended up being that the old timing chain wore a hole through the lower timing cover where there happened to be a coolant passage. took the cover to a welder to have the hole welded up and still have a coolant passage. fixed it, car runs after 3 weeks of troubleshooting vacuum hoses. may i say the stock emissions systems on these cars suck.

Later down the road, picked up a motor from a local board member that popped on him one day.
Turns out one of the cams just sheered and it took out the upper timing chain and one cam, head was in good condition as was the block. on the way I had a forged internal kit from ams performance which ran me about 2400$, didnt want to skimp on my build. wish i would have known more about the cars, but that was after some good amount of research, just took the easy way out of buying a kit. Kit came with all the internals made to hold over 1000 ponies. Sent the pistons, rods crank and block off to beachside machine and had the spare block honed, decked, magnafluxed to check for cracks, rotating assembly balanced, etc..

got the engine back from the shop, reassembled it

broke in the motor, installed some battle version tc rods, replaced power steering rack, replaced outer tie rods, replaced ball joints, replaced brakes with bremo blanks and new pads, new rear calipers, new fluids (redline mt90 for the trans, fresh brake fluid, synthetic 5w30 for the engine)

fried all of the bearings in a glorious 3 laps at gainsville from overheating (stock temp sensor stopped working)

took the motor out, replaced all of the bearings. put it back in, drove for several months, no track events in its condition. oil pump goes, bearings go again, considered getting rid of the ka entirely at that point. crank is fubar at this point, picked up a newer crank that was within stock specs. ordered a new oem oil pump

put on new exhaust

several months later took the motor to brevard cylinderhead. they rebuilt the shortblock, checked clearances, new bearings, rehoned etc..
dropped it back in, been driving for the last couple of months. added Cxracing 3" aluminum radiator, dual efans, removed stock shroud due to fitment issues, still using stock clutch fan. Installed autometer short sweep oil pressure and water temperature gauges, made a nifty mount for the gauges out of cardboard until i fab something more permanent.

so i just went over to my dads one friday and was wondering what my blue looks like, ended up sanding, primering, painting the hood on friday after my dad convinced me to just try it out to see, then i was mad that my hood was blue and the rest of my car looked like crap so i went to town, because after all not all of us can sport leopard print on our hoods and get away with it =). I am painting it in my dads back yard in the wind no less, which is not exactly the best way to do things, had to wait for the wind to die down, spray, wait for the wind, spray etc. first coat of primer turned out good, was a bit rough from all the over spray, but sanded it out. now i just have to touch up the areas i sanded through, the high points, some thin spots on the primer etc..
if i could ever get the hang of an orbital sander i would offer to do body work (went to straight metal on parts of my doors, slowly improved over the day), it took me 2 days of sanding and body filling to even get to a point where i felt i would try to primer it to see how it turned out. turns out i have some scratches and divits that i didnt see before painting on the fenders, so i bought some spot putty yesterday to work on those this weekend. the previous owner looks like he got into a bad front ender, there was a bit of bondo on the front bumper. the trunk was even worse, this 240 came with a wing from the factory it looks like, the guy who took it off just welded 2 pieces of metal on the underside of the trunk, but he never ground down his welds or beat them in before he started his bondo, so there was like an inch thick of bondo on the trunk that i had to sand all the way down and redo, considering just picking up a new hatch after seeing that.
Ended up filling in a dent in my rear quarter, on my passenger side skirt and getting rid of my antenna on the drivers rear quarter. turned out pretty nice. I think i like doing the bondo more than mass sanding, takes some actual finesse. one thing i do have to work on is order of painting, i sprayed the outside but forgot about the door jams, guess im going to have to use the detail gun and go after those spots, already have the door panels and trim off. also have to find what they use for that sealant on the tail lights, its like a real thick gewy tar, stuffs amazing except for when you get it on you

I also nabbed that fiberglass for my door panels, still waiting to find some cardboard big enough so i can work on them in my garage. if those door panels turn out nice, gonna rip the cracked material off my dash and custom mold a new one with gauge pods and stuff in it

i probably have enough primer left for 2 more cars, running low on bondo though, started with half a can
dont think i could ever do body work for free, would need some kind of motivation to get me through it (money or parts =P). was bad enough taking my time on my car, heck if my dad hadnt been there telling me to take my time and teaching me what he has learned i would have ended up with a horrible end product. he has taught me alot and hopefully it shows when im done =)

i need to find a nissan badge for the front, turns out mine was stuck pretty good on there when it was on the car (missing since ive owned it) and it indented the plastic. was considering filling in the mount point, but it would be nice to have a badge. im really interested to see how the blue turns out, its a bit lighter than I expected. next time, car is going white with out a doubt
started paint

think i might actually paint my rims so they match now lol at least until i can afford some twin 5 spokes like these:
xxr 502's
good news is they are deep dish and available in 4 lug, bad news, they are 18's and have poor offsets
i think they look really good on marios ka-t build

next step for me since i have a kid due here in 2 months is a seat and some coilovers, then im just going to race it until i can build enough money to finish the diy holset turbo project. have it all planned out, just funding now thats the issue

going with this setup for a goal of 250-350 whp on 93 octane:

holset hx35 turbo off a cummins diesel (either use the internal wg thats on the holset or weld the flaps shut and use an external 38mm wg)
1g stock dsm bov running at 12-15psi
660 deatchwerks side feed injectors
stock fuel rail
upgraded fpr if it comes to it
calumRT upgraded ECU, going to self tune after getting a base map for the setup made or have one of the local guys help me with it
either 350z clutch + rb20/25 flywheel or a 6 puck clutch and stock flywheel
mazworx DIY turbo manifold, log style (http://www.mazworx.com/index.php?l=prod ... ail&p=2985) with a twinscroll collector to match the turbo, will try building a ramhorn style down the road
custom downpipe with flex section, o2 and wideband plugs on it
walbro 255 fuel pump
z32 maf
cxracing intercooler kit for sr20
jgs oil feed and return lines unless i find someone to fab them local for <80$
a new straight through cat converter, maintain stock look and cut some noise
considering relocating my battery since i dd the car for now, dont want the miata battery or lawnmower battery to die on me
sandwitch air filter
new trans mount, think mine is still original
turbo timer

then ill finish the rest of the car
new carpet for interior, can get oem style molded carpet for $200
single vented fiberglass hood
front bumper with big enough hole for intercooler
180sx side skirts
matching rear bumper
the clear oem style tail lights
wider rims for the added power
other seat replaced
roll cage
car computer installed
meth injection and higher boost

finished painting:

so base coat and clear coat are done. for anyone who sprays this blue metallic paint, the wax/degreaser we have used in the past for other paint decided it would take off a layer of my base coat so i had to respray my front left fender. had to fix 3 spots, two didnt get sanded enough when i went over the primer and left white rings showing through the base coat the other was a bubble from water it looks like. fixed both of those. have to go at the clearcoat with 1k/2k polish now. car definitely needs rims now, stock ones just look horrible on the new paint and the massive lifted truck style wheel gap looks horrid. i can either buy coilovers or rims w/ tires at this point, only got money for one or the other. all in all im very happy with the new paint even if its not perfect, plus i learned how to paint with the car, beats spray paint

fyi paint code on my can of blue base: 5B-42185 00(B)

picked up a turbo with a seized shaft a little bit ago, sending it off to be rebuilt this week
looking into buying a megasquirt kit and putting that together after I fix my trans, just cleaned out my garage so I can throw the car up on all 4s and work under it to find out what actually went
was looking into the white bunny clutch flywheel setup as an option for me, using the flywheel from a 93 4cyl frontier and a clutch from a 300z n/a or 280z turbo. was amazed how little that setup actually costs

Holset HX35W

went out and bought a new clutch kit and flywheel. bought the 1993 d21 truck flywheel, has a larger surface area than the 240 flywheel, thing weighs alot, probably 3 to 4 lbs more than the ka flywheel. had to grind down the 2 nubs on the rear seal housing (on the bottom of it) and cut off the raised part of the dust shield. turns freely now like it should. installed the d21 clutch kit, ordered the pro gold performance clutch kit from autozone. the clutch kit, and flywheel cost me 250$ total. cant beat that when comparing to what I was going to spend on a clutch/flywheel (700-800$). the clutch/flywheel combo other ka-ters have run 450ft/lbs of torque on without issues, shall see.

sent out my turbo a couple weeks ago to be rebuilt, should see that back soon. all I need now is engine management, injectors, a maf, intercooler , make my turbo manifold and intake manifold, wastegate and a couple other misc things

also got me a new master/slave cylinder for my clutch, will get those back on after I put my engine back in so I can bleed them. (ended up having to take my motor out because i couldnt break my driveshaft loose to drop my trans, worked out better, now i have a new clutch/flywheel/TO bearing installed)

but thats where i stand, know its a horribly long thread, but slowly making progress towards getting the turbo setup done. have changed my mind on a couple of things as of late, mostly because of money and priorities, but I tell you this, the car and the turbo setup will be finished one day. Im sure if I were to do it again though, I would have gone with maintenance and fixing up the suspension first just so I could actually get track time
Last edited by beercandrifter on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:38 am, edited 12 times in total.
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
Stay KA
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Stay KA »

gainesville? that looks a awful lot like the compound ;)
-Richard

beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

afraid to say I haven't driven this car at the compound yet, closest I have come was the dirt roads by the paint ball park down there, and come to think about it that was when I had to put my new exhaust on lol. the old one had so much rust in it that it clogged the muffler and the exhaust split in half from all the pressure (the resonator was hosed so I replaced it with a section of pipe and some u clamps)
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
esahuque
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by esahuque »

lookin good man keep up the good work. like the color too
street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

nice build and cool color!
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

finally able to raise this thread from the dead

turbo build is finished!

final setup for the turbo is:
mazworx log manifold with non divided t3 flange
holset hx35 fully rebuilt by xs boost turbochargers in ohio
custom downpipe
tial 38mm mvs wastegate with 18psi spring combo
CxRacing intercooler kit
1g DSM BOV
Enthalpy ECU custom tune
subaru wrx yellow top 550cc injectors with oem pigtails
oil cooler and 4000$ worth of AN fittings from summit racing, but hey at least they sparkle
skullworx oil block adapter
remote mount adapter for oil filter from Summit Racing with all the stainless braided lines
walbro 255 fuel pump
jgstools custom turbo oil feed/return lines
oil catch can for valve cover
z32 maf

TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Was that rattle canned or did you use a spray gun?
It's always broken.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

degreased, then truck bedliner in a spray can. amazing how much a little tlc will do with a greasy nasty valve cover huh

if I do it again, I will do two coats.

I have had good luck with spray cans for the valve cover, the paint doesnt wear off due to the temp. my first one I sprayed I used the high temp primer before painting. This one seems to hold up just fine so far

I am going to spray my z32 rear end with a gun when I get to that, may redo the valve cover with some better design then. I like the contrast of the letters vs the black though. stands out

soon as I resolve my oil leak from my timing cover, its going back to gainsville road course. Think I may have it resolved, will find out tomorrow when the rtv sets
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

aww man I totally didnt realize how much work it would be to replace a rear suspension, put on brakes and coilovers all in one day. taking it all off at the junk yard was like a 2 hour job and only got one side done, but I was letting my 2yr old help me work on the car =)

but I have new shiny stuff on the car, at least on the pass side

as a note, z32 koni yellow sport shocks do not fit in s13 ground control sleeves, had to hollow out the sleeves with a dremel until I could press fit them on to the koni shocks.

next mods, a set of rucas with some spherical bearings and 240z fender flares! then down the road some wilwood calipers and custom front rotors from def

gotta play with the suspension some to level out the control arms, then after our next baby comes its time for some road racing! probably going to extend the shock tower mount points inside of the car to lower the car some while still keeping decent geometry on the suspension, have to make custom housings for the front as well, should be pretty easy.

notes on suspension:
s13 ground control coilover kit with 300lb springs for the rear, 440lb springs for the front
z32 koni yellow sport shocks for the rear
s13 koni yellow sport cartridges for the front

notes on brakes:
r33 ebrake cables (actually fit right off the bat on the s13)
z32 drum ebrake assembly
z32 aluminum dual piston rear calipers
ebay s13 to z32 conversion braided brake lines
using standard cheapo brake pads until I can race

notes on wheels:
drag dr-31 17x9 +17 offset all 4 corners, 22lbs a piece (will be getting a set of rpf01's eventually for track use)
gorilla blue 12x1.25 lug nuts

notes on tires:
nitto nt05 235x17 in front
nitto nt05 255x17 in rear

got some tuning left to do on the turbo setup, its drivable now, but cant push boost to much, still trying to figure out why.

found out that verocious motorsports sent me the wrong springs from what I ordered in my wastegate, so I was only had 16 psi of spring instead of 18. took one of the springs out and am running 8 psi right now until I can figure out the messed up afr thing, kinda sucks having no one around here who is a ka-ter who can help me figure it out
c_mancuyas8

Post by c_mancuyas8 »

nice man!
street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

You stole my rims hahaha but I love them

beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

street_240sx wrote:You stole my rims hahaha but I love them
they are pretty sweet, and they dont weigh 28 lbs like most aftermarket rims that size, which was nice. I just wish the faces were a bit more concave, they still look really good with the blue though.

guess I will be looking at picking up a set of toe links as well after talking to my friend about making my suspension changes, never ending project lol
street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

yea i was going to do the same with the blue and yea a little more concave would be nice but glad they arent flat

factory_option
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by factory_option »

what exhaust is that you have?
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

factory_option wrote:what exhaust is that you have?
apexi hybrid megaphone exhaust, such a sexy deep exhaust note that comes out of it too
katrecipe
**BANNED**

Post by katrecipe »

That color is different looks good on the hatch
I was a moron and I got banned!
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

katrecipe wrote:That color is different looks good on the hatch
yeah unfortunately I have to respray the base coat on the car again, painting outdoors in florida yields wierd results (ended up getting moisture in the primer coat and the paint bubbled up on me)

actually considering some metallic colors for the next time around
katrecipe
**BANNED**

Post by katrecipe »

looks like a easter egg the color does
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Ground control installed on front strut housings

New Front Ichiba 5 lug hubs and S14 SE 5 lug rotors (well I put them on after the pic anyway)

holy wheel gap batman

I will need to modify the crap out of the stock housings (cut the top off, use it to extend the bottom (essentially raise the lower mount points on the strut housing by about 4 inches). But its all good, with my new fancy grinder the work is a piece of cake =)
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

beercandrifter wrote:yeah unfortunately I have to respray the base coat on the car again, painting outdoors in florida yields wierd results (ended up getting moisture in the primer coat and the paint bubbled up on me)
I painted mine outside. Where these bubbles are, did you do any body work? Filler? glazing puddy? I sealed my car and non bubbles popped up. $60 for a gallon of sealer from sherwin williams.

Keep up the good work though.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

the front bumper was repaired by a previous owner and it had bondo/fiberglass work done on it. I tried using the adhesive the paint shop recommended to make the primer stick to the bondo, that was about it.

The spots I actually bondo'd on the car came out really good and have no bubble issues, I think the adhesive stuff was what caused it. gonna try laying a fresh layer of bondo next time since I have better luck with the fresh stuff.

summitracing actually started selling summit brand 2-stage metallic paints for about 130$ a gallon, which is a really decent price. Figured I would try it out and see how it looks
Philavor
NooB

Post by Philavor »

Why dont you just get some legit Good coilovers? I would be scared to run that setup at the track!
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Philavor wrote:Why dont you just get some legit Good coilovers? I would be scared to run that setup at the track!
lol a proper matched gc/koni setup is better than most legit "Good Coilovers" you are going to get for under 1500$

fwiw I fixed the fronts, needed to remove the stock perch and weld in the d-rings that were supplied with the GC kit. wheels are nice and flush now, will try and post a pic later tonight. Kinda sucked, GC didnt provide instructions on how to assemble their front sleeves (they sent me 2 sets of instructions on how to assemble the rears, but they sent me the fronts after shooting them an email). took a stab at it before I had the instructions and 4x4 wheel gap was what happened. I have it to a 2" gap now, much better.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

wheel gap issue resolved, can still lower by 2", but I left the 2.5" gap for spring travel. the 235's take up a good amount of area under that fender

time to fix the ebrake issue now, gotta go fab up a mounting bracket for the cables
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

ahh, got the r33 brake cables to work in the s13. just needed to make a plate to extend the holes on the front mount points of the ebrake cable forward about 1.5". wheel rotates, ebrake works, no modifying of any cables. win.

time to toss on my boost controller, do some fine tuning, then drive
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

so i found out the tial mv-s had some extra boost reference ports aside from the one I used, were really hard to see (blue anodized camouflages the ports well). Got those holes plugged. car pulls really nice. had to bump up the fuel pressure to get my afr's into the mid 11's under wot, other than that the rs enthalpy ecu works wonderfully.

unfortunately, i want more. I have an 8 psi spring in there right now, and now that its not spiking to 18 psi, i miss it. I need more boost! need to feed the monster, nom nom nom lol

time to finish the jumper board on my megasquirt pnp ecu and start playing with it in the car. then its upgrade time, 72lb injectors or 1000cc, not quite decided, and a top feed fuel rail. gonna shoot for 30 psi and see where I can get, love how the holsets can take the boost, the turbo is just pure sexy.

and man, these shocks/gc coil sleeves/springs are awesome. they keep the car on the ground, absorb bumps and are amazing through the turns. They are so much nicer than the stance/megans/teins I have rode on. And the nitto nt-05's are just straight up an amazing tire, they stick so well.
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

Nice ! Boost monster has got ya hahaha and good to hear about the NT05`s that is what im running as well
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

well I finished assembling the diypnp board a couple weeks ago, just never posted any pics. been looking for a top feed fuel rail and a source for some 1000cc bosch injectors. I love assembling these things if anyone wants one built

after the poor numbers at the drag strip i started playing with my timing. When I initially put this motor in the car, it didnt want to start/was making audible knock on stock timing so I retarded it by a tooth on the distributor and it all went away. Since then I have started moving it back towards stock timing, turns out having an oil cooler even in florida requires additional time to warm up the oil which was the source of some of the noise. after the car is warm all the noise goes away.

the response feels different from the car now, rather than all of the power coming on just after full boost, now I have power when building boost and is noticeably different when in full boost. still waiting for a dyno day, but I figure I will go back to the strip and see how it does with the timing back to where it should be.

considering fabbing up some fenders like how the 350z are, where it comes out and then has a flat lip on it

for now I am going to do some touch up on my paint job, fix the peeling bumper with my left over paint when I go to spray my friends car. Will respray the whole car when I figure out the fender/front end/hood situation. All depends on what i can get away with in different hdpe/time attack classes
belligerent6481
Learners Permit

hopes and dreams

Post by belligerent6481 »

beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

please dont post useless crap in my build thread