1973 240Z KA24DET

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

saw this thread on ls1tech
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

Thanks Supakat,

And yah I have the build up on a few forums that I regular.
1973 Datsun 240Z KA24DET
Build Thread:viewtopic.php?t=52102&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

Shop is slowly coming together..

Addition of the day:

I was told my Datsun would be coming home tomorrow. But have no confirmation in last month so we'll see how it goes..
1973 Datsun 240Z KA24DET
EviltoM
Forum Moderator

Post by EviltoM »

I have the exact same mill! I paid $600 for mine locally. Do you have a manual or any literature for yours?
2JZGE NA-T -SOLD
10.3@131 27psi
bova17
Learners Permit

Post by bova17 »

nice work, love the cad parts me and my friends are trying to build an s13 hatch in solidworks
BADA$$240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by BADA$$240 »

Legit build. Always fun to read the old school builds especially Z cars.
92 240sx RB25DET
07 R6
12 Mazda 2-all around beater
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

Tom, thats hilarious! Other than the two at work I've never seen another Tos Kurim around here haha. I requested a e-manual from the Engineering dept here and dude said he has one but hasnt found it yet. I'll let yah know when I do.

Thats awesome - if I find some free time someday I might start making more into the Solidworks but **** is crazy right now lol. New house, shop, job, dog eats up alot of time lol.

Sorry for a disappointing update but:

shop organization is taking shape :D this is stage 1 of racking. Had to take down about 60' of heavy ass 4" sched 80 in order to get the rack into a decent place.

Hoist is anchored down and running now

Next is the fab table and finishing some more racking

not much happening to the shop or Datsun other than Brendan's VH45 S14, so here's one of the new shop mascot, Diesel.

Found yet another use for the 10 ton gantry crane :D
1973 Datsun 240Z KA24DET
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Im jealous of your setup, down to the German Shepard lol Love seeing nice working areas, makes me wish i didnt have to work in the dirt on a hill!! lol

Is the front half of the shop marble or is it just the camera? Someone had to ask lol
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

Haha I wish to be that baller someday, but no, some ass left the trailer outside during a solid snowstorm and brought it in and let it melt everywhere, dirt and water everywhere haha.

Thanks though man, pretty stoked with my setup includin Diesel lol, just need my damn car baxk
1973 Datsun 240Z KA24DET
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

442 days since my car has left me, but it's home now..

Cage is not done, main hoop, diagonal and A-pillars are cut but not welded.

I'm not worried, I actually have the shop and capabilities to do everything myself now so it's all good. Big things to come soon! Just happy to have my car back..

Had a couple hrs today to put towards the Z.. Time is extremely hard to find these days haha just have to be persistent.

This is the cage that was done by the fabricator. I am scrapping every part of it that was done - about 40' of DOM scrapped unless I can salvage some short pieces out of them.

Main hoop has ~3" between it and the roofline. Note the gnarly plasma cut strut tower holes.

The door bar stuck below the roofline.

The A-Pillar was fairly tight...

Took the S30 front subframe and nipped off the factory motor mounts..

Picked up a R33 GTR RHD steering rack. RHD because when you flip the rack over, I need it to work in that direction with the S14 knuckles flipped right to left (steering rack in front of subframe instead of factory).

Then I took the R34 GTR rear subframe and burnt out the factory bushings, sawz-all to the top flange and air hammer to push the sleeves out.

Mocked a SPL V1 Solid Subframe Bushing into the bore.

Tomorrow night's plan is to brace the subframe, ditch the diff bushings, find a bushing for the R33 steering rack and send out subframe(s) to JP @ Strip tech for powdercoating.

Got a couple more hrs in today. This is yet another time-saving gift I was given when the car came back:

All four corners were the same shape. Pretty good gap for welding...

Cleaned up the surfaces.

Took some expensive artist tracing card stock..

Spray painted from inside the tower and trimmed the outline.

Overlayed onto some scrap 1/4" that I preformed into the curve.

Trimmed, fitted, cursed, drank a beer and tacked.

Missed a couple steps here but this is after a lot of finishing touches - Turned out not too bad for my first time doing metal work.

Welded top and underside, root pass ground down and another cap for cosmetics.

Finish the rears tomorrow night! The big welder is too much to do finishing/smoothing welds so once all 4 corners are done I'm gonna bust out the 110v and clean everything up!

That's the piece after I worked that filler strip in. Couple pin holes that I'll fill with the 110v welder later.

R33 GTR rack fits nicely on S30 subframe:

Cleaned up cowl area down to bare metal and sprayed it with temporary paint.

Got drivers side rear camber plate 90% done, it and the passenger will be done this week sometime :D

Finally found some time to work on Z (truck needed yet another motor :().

Got all 4 corners done for camber plates.

Started on the boxes for the main hoop:

Not nearly finished as the R34 subframe has to mount to these somehow.

Spent a bit of today time on this:

FWIW, little while ago I received a hydraulic power pack, a hydraulic ram (6" bore, 2" rod, 4" stroke), 8' of 1.25" stainless rod, 8' of 1" threaded rod, 1/4" wall 6x6x10, 40 feet of 1/4"x2x6, 8 feet of 6" c channel and some other bits.... FREE! :D so I am turning them all into a hydraulic shop press. I haven't done the math on it yet but I estimate the ram to be roughly 50 ton. I'm making attachments so I can use it as a brake, shear, mounting a JD Squared model 3 vertically on the back (baller tube bender), hydraulic hose crimper (ends came on the ram for this), as well as a general shop press (bearings, bushings, dimple die's etc..)..

Pretty stoked to get going on the car and press now that the truck is all wrapped up.

Got some work done on the press today. Would've been a lot farther if metal supply stores were fricken open on Sundays..

1.5HP motor to the hydraulic pump, should put out more than enough. Motor is held to the press via a plate with 4 holes with bolts welded and their heads cut off flush, then the plate welded to frame.

The gauge was fubar'd so I picked up a digital readout gauge that has a programmable pressure setpoint. This means I can hold the handle full tilt and it will automatically shut off the pump (or divert) back to tank if I set it up as a pressure relief.
1973 Datsun 240Z KA24DET
jholman05
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jholman05 »

Looking good, always disappointing paying someone to do less quality work than you can do. Keep up the good work, this would be a potential setup I wouldn't mind having one day.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: 1973 240Z KA24DET

Post by torquefreaks »

POST MORE
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

this is sick! How far have you come now?? Would be awesome if you have time for an update, I need to get a Z at some point in my life :) I've always been into them ever since I watched wangan midnight lol!
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Now this is a wicked azz build.

One thing to note is that the ksports coilovers on the B15 (sentra) are known to break at the mounts.
So be careful then driving on them.
I suggest you sell them and get something else.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel