SuperDorifto's Overbuilt KA24DE - T Project

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Re: SuperDorifto's Overbuilt KA24DE - T Project

Post by superDorifto »

At least that's the way it feels sometimes....

Wiring harness has a short....time to do some digging
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

superDorifto wrote:"What if I told you Broken is a KATs default state" At least it feels that way sometimes...
haha yup...exactly! always some mystery to solve, something to fix, or something to improve upon; no boredom here. :mrgreen:

Great work on everything so far, I'm diggin those flares with that wheel and tire setup.
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Thanks... I wish they were real te37s, but oh well.

Found out the harness issue.

If you go cop, make sure you delete the condenser/resistor loop for the distributor....mine got a little hot...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

What kind of one-way valve did you use for your PCV setup? I looked through the whole thread and didn't see it mentioned, but I might have overlooked it. I'm think of doing a similar setup with two separate baffled catch cans. One for the PCV to intake manifold, and one for the valve cover to pre-turbo.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I never ended up using them. I still have like 5 of them if you want to try and run them. they connect to 3/8 push to connect pnuematic tubing and are about 2 inches long.

Right now the valve cover vent goes to my gatorade bottle (read chooch ass) catch can, and the block pcv location does the same. They both just tee together. The system vents to atmosphere under WOT and is doing a pretty good job of keeping water vapor and garbage out of the crankcase.

My motor ran enough crankcase pressure under WOT to blow out the o-ring seal in my old catch can...when I rebuild this winter VC and PCV location will both tee together same as they do now, and the draw through on the new sealed can I'm building will have a slash cut tube in the exhaust about 1 foot behind the O2 sensor.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I was doing some searching and trying to decide if i should go ahead and pick up an ATI damper when I started looking back through this thread. Your attention to detail is just amazing. I only hope mine comes out as nice as this one. And there are quite a few similarities between our builds. I'm also using a Caswell plating kit (zinc instead.of nickel), I just installed those same exhaust manifold studs, also using an OEM side feed rail on the Xcessive manifold, and the Skullworks oil block, to name a few. What was the deal with the O-rings on the oil block? Did they get damaged somehow and you just couldn't find replacements?

What are your thoughts on the ATI damper? I've got a built head now and am trying to decide if it would be worth the money to add the damper and maybe bump the red line a bit. Even if I left the limiter at 7200, I imagine that the ATI will probably help with longevity.

And back to the PCV, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with mine. Do you have a pic of those one way valves? Just curious what they look like.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I stupidly sent my Skullworks block out to get powder-coated and the guy who did it did not remove the o-rings prior to coating.

I've tried dozens of different sizes and have not found the right size yet. I even found the dude that made them on zilvia/nissan road racing, and he could not remember...its one of those things that I'll take care of one day. In the mean time, Im trying to lower the oil pressure at the turbo, keep getting it blowing past the seals on WOT. I'm going to run an in line needle valve and adjust it based on the actual pressure at the turbo. I'm piecing together the fittings for this right now actually.

As for the ATI, I def think its worth it, especially now that the price is down. When I bought mine, it was ~$650, but its much cheaper now. My motor idles so nice, and I've bumped the redline up a bit with no real issues, and hardly any noticeable vibe. Last time I was on the dyno, I was running into a little valve float with the stock head so we left the red line at 7500. This winter I'm doing a fully built head, so we can see how much is left in this turbo - shooting for 8k plus, but still dont know how its going to behave.

My PCV is ghetto rigged right now...both the crank and VC just vent to a freaking gatorade bottle stuffed with a shop rag, zip tied to the cold pipe....Also on the plate this winter is a slash cut exhaust vacuum set up. I'm emmisions exempt in CT so this is gonna be the cleanest way to get that nasty **** outta the crank case.

I like your dedication to plating. I have since replaced most of the bolts I plated myself with Stainless Allen head bolts...but I'm starting a VH project that might be getting some stuff from Caswell.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I ended up getting the ATI damper. With my (now) built head, I'll definitely be bumping the redline. I'm real curious to see how your turbo does when you rev it to 8K+. My turbo is larger than yours, but it's still on the smaller side compared to similar builds, so I don't know how much of a benefit a higher redline will provide.

The zinc plating has been a big learning experience. As much as I love how it all looks, especially with the different chromate treatments, it has added well over a month of time to this build due to trial and error.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Sad news for anyone with an AEM EMS V2....

AEM is no longer stocking extra boards for the V2. We all new this day was coming, considering the V2 is almost 12 years old. I just got off the phone with their tech support and my only options are to upgrade to Infinity...

They will still repair them...and have most parts, but if you do something epically stupid like I did and fry the accessory board your SOL.

On a plus note Infinity is on its way.

I'll get into how I broke the damn thing later - just a heads up for anyone still running it.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Anybody else running into issues with images not loading correctly?...I'm no computer wiz, but then again I'm not an idiot either.

Also nearly back on the road, its been a real-real long time. picked up another EMS V2. Car starts, but there are still gremlins left in the charge circuit as the alternator is not charging. trying to chase all of them down.

Also sorta built another DSM in the meantime.
M3LVIN
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by M3LVIN »

Popping in here to say that I like your build and am going to Infinity as well! Have been doing homework on wiring to make my own engine harness. Will you be doing your own harness or doing a jumper harness?
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I actually gave the infinity to a good friend as a wedding present, his wife bought him an HX55 for a vk56 swap hes been working on forever. Im still running AEM V2.

I do have some stuff in the works. My electrical problems are resolved, trying to tackle my turbo over-oiling issue.

I'm runnning a GTX2876 - they hate high oil pressure, Ideal inlet is around 15 psi with a max of 30psi. Even with my .035" restrictor Im over oiling at WOT...I know because the car will ***** smokescreen the car behind me and the inlet filter is def dirtier than it should be.

When I first assembled my motor almost 5 years ago at this point I reused a decent lower mileage front cover and bought all new oil pump gears and bits from Courtesy Nissan. I remember the assembly took place over a week that I had off from work and there might have been a few beers involved. Anyway, nowhere in the FSM does it tell you how many washers/spacers go in the bypass valve for the main pump...so I used all of them.

My issue is that I think my oil pressure at WOT is a bit too high...I say think, because I dont fully trust the digital gauge I'm using. I do know that the turbo pukes oil at WOT, but the turbo is also used and it could honestly be bad seals.

The gauge momentarily spikes to over 100psi, but again cant tell if that is real or not, my gauge required manual calibration and I could have just as easily messed up entering the slope and intercept.

Anyway - Ive got a few ways I'm planning to attack this: I might not do all of this, but its all on the table right now.

1) pulling apart the lower cover and checking the bypass - I honestly cant even remember how many washers are in there at this point.
2) adding a mechanical gauge, or the specific sender that is supposed to be used with that gauge...they both cost the same, so either should work.
3) toying with the idea of adding a dedicated scavenge pump in the turbo drain - a bit pricey, but if its good enough for the roadkill guys, its good enough for me.
4) adding a dedicate oil pressure gauge at the turbo inlet and an upstream needle valve so I can adjust the inlet pressure. I already have everything to make this happen...the electrical issue just killed my motivation for the past year.

Ill post up pics once I find the time to make this happen.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I'm waiting on yet another round of dealing with AEM trying to trouble shoot my ECU.

Car show season is upon us in CT and I decided to have a go at just getting back to baseline before the mishap with the battery. Just wanted to take the car out for a spin. Timing was never synced with the new ECU, so that's were we started and ended.

The pulses from the timing light were so far out of time that we couldn't even see the mark. After scratching our heads for almost an hour we noticed that the pulses were much faster than the displayed idle speed. somehow this ECU is running wasted spark for all 4 injectors.

we verified with another timing light that has an rpm display - cyl 1 is showing 4x the rpm that the AEM V2 is outputting.

At first we were thinking settings:
We doubted that the issue was with the tune, verified it with the last known good version and that is matched the base settings I got directly from AEM for my particular COP set-up. All of the trigger and ignition settings at exactly the same from the last time this pig ran.

Move on to the Harness:
each Coil only has 4 wires;
- 12V fused power from the battery - all in parallel
- shared ground - again all in parallel
- another shared shield ground
- individual trigger running back to the ECU

The 3 shared pins on each coil each had continuity to each other as they should...our thought was that if the 4 trigger wires magically shorted together we might be inadvertently triggering all coils every ignition event....but nope, no continuity.

Since we ran fresh shielded wires when we created the harness, the issue has to be back on the board in the ECU.
At least that's our hope, that something is wacky with the board, or some voodoo in the settings that we just aren't smart enough to see.
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

superDorifto wrote:I'm waiting on yet another round of dealing with AEM trying to trouble shoot my ECU.

Car show season is upon us in CT and I decided to have a go at just getting back to baseline before the mishap with the battery. Just wanted to take the car out for a spin. Timing was never synced with the new ECU, so that's were we started and ended.

The pulses from the timing light were so far out of time that we couldn't even see the mark. After scratching our heads for almost an hour we noticed that the pulses were much faster than the displayed idle speed. somehow this ECU is running wasted spark for all 4 injectors.

we verified with another timing light that has an rpm display - cyl 1 is showing 4x the rpm that the AEM V2 is outputting.

At first we were thinking settings:
We doubted that the issue was with the tune, verified it with the last known good version and that is matched the base settings I got directly from AEM for my particular COP set-up. All of the trigger and ignition settings at exactly the same from the last time this pig ran.

Move on to the Harness:

each Coil only has 4 wires;
- 12V fused power from the battery - all in parallel
- shared ground - again all in parallel
- another shared shield ground
- individual trigger running back to the ECU

The 3 shared pins on each coil each had continuity to each other as they should...our thought was that if the 4 trigger wires magically shorted together we might be inadvertently triggering all coils every ignition event....but nope, no continuity.

Since we ran fresh shielded wires when we created the harness, the issue has to be back on the board in the ECU.
At least that's our hope, that something is wacky with the board, or some voodoo in the settings that we just aren't smart enough to see.

That sucks I see your having troubles with the AEM V2 plug in play..... not to side track but does this mean you also don't recommend AEM infinity?

What do you think about the Haltech Elite ecus? I will have to some how figure out how to make their 8 injector drivers only send information for 4 which may be as easy as data entry or might be a nightmare.... what do you think?
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Fair warning that this is going to be a wall of text...

The problems I'm seeing aren't due to the AEM. I'm having problems because like a lot of guys that build **** from scratch, for each moment that I create something genuinely good, I spend at least 2 moments being plain old dumb.

As a result, I'm an idiot most of the time:

Like the time I was still running an Enthalpy ECU early in my build and could not figure out why it was running erratically rich...when we pulled the harness we found that a leaky fitting under the intake manifold had soaked coolant into the harness...the 20 year old wires for the injectors are full of micro cracks that like to arc and short. Add to that the fact that when installing the dedicated coolant temp sensor for my electric fans, the drill bit nicked the ECUs coolant temp sensor...we chased that behavior for months and didn't find either issue until we were installing the AEM. That rich behavior is the main reason that I even went AEM in the first place.

Also, more recently when I hooked the battery up backwards frying the first V2. My friend loaned me a fresh battery so I could pull the car out after winter storage last year. I had let the battery go dead because I moved the car to my other garage space to work on some home repair stuff. The damn terminals are a different size for a reason, but working on this thing, you get pretty good at quickie fixes and making things work. Also, you get real good at compartmentalizing. work one small piece at a time until the job is done using basic problem solving, IE, this terminal doesn't fit, but I can make it fit. I can clearly remember thinking that the different terminal sizes was odd, but shoved it into the back of my brain and got right to work on the problem that I knew how to solve. My sleep deprived brain was rushing, I was already figuring out how to Gerry-rig the other terminal before I realized what was happening.

Poof, almost $1000 dollar learning experience. The latest issues are all because V2's are just getting up there in age. At some point we will have no option but infinity. First time the new ECU had to go back was for a COMS port update to the board because it sat unused by its previous owner for almost a decade. It was ECU serial 0018, so it has the first revisions of the hardware and the latest firmware update bricked the IO. I'm hoping that this time back through its a simple ignition circuit trace, or the like. I already know that they don't stock new ignition boards...so this one might be toast as well.

I've made the decision that if this board turns out to be junk, the KA-t is getting pulled and mothballed and another engine is going inside my Datsun.

This back and forth is all part of the building process. I'm human, I do dumb things....but most of the time I learn from them. I realize that there are some people that might not feel the same, but I work in my garage for therapy.

It's definitely more art than science.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

superDorifto wrote:This back and forth is all part of the building process. I'm human, I do dumb things....but most of the time I learn from them. I realize that there are some people that might not feel the same, but I work in my garage for therapy.

It's definitely more art than science.
Well said.

I hope the V2 works out for you this time. What engine do you have in mind if it doesn't?
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Maybe a v8? Maybe a inline 6?

Vh
Ls
Rb
2j

Also might do a twin turbo v6

Vq would be nice...either way I'll end up posting it on here.

I'll keep you guys updated.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Keeping the KA.

Issue was the optical sensor in the dizzy. So many other electical components got fried. Idle is stuck on high, but it moved and made boost.

IACV is toast
Idle up valve is gone

On our test run the fuel pump relay **** the bed, had to roadkill MacGyver it home.

Who knows how many other sensors are toast...but it runs, it rips smokey burnouts and is all sorts of fun

site for uploading photos

Not sure if anyone cares, but my other project is parked right next to my s12. Cool little car.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Back in business...just need to work on my hot start enrichment a bit.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Hell yeah!
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

spending tons of time on this thing. Actually going to be making it out to some shows next week.

fixed some nagging problems like the tail lights...which have never worked. Oil change, finalized the new wiring for the idle controls. Just gotta put the fender back on and clean it a bit.

hot start still sucks, but I want to mess around with it a bit more before I come back to the board begging. I'm convinced its just a little too rich during cranking.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Nearly done putting power steering back in this pig. Think I'm gonna rock this velocity stack inlet for a little while.
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

I wish they still made those distributor caps.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

It's a real simple bit of machining. I could prolly rip a cad file off for it.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Hit a local car show tonight...had some great weather to enjoy my car for the first time in over a year. Lots of gremlins but all fixable. Last pic is my other baby...also broken because of my stupidity. Duck calls sound funny in your bov, but only when they stay put. It's not making duck or turbo noises right at the moment. turbo replacement is def required...planning to tear into that purple pig tomorrow.

superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

After 7 plus years building this motor and almost 5 on this chassis, it comes to this

fb photo upload

Chassis is nearly bare. Meant to post it here first, but the vultures on the ka-t fb page got to it first.

Will be starting a fs thread shortly.

This is not the end.
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

Ka swap the legacy. /thread.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

There's def a cycle lol. I'm holding onto the built short block, and already have a complete built head with bc stage 3 cams. And the sweet ramhorn I got from another member here. There were no real problems with it when I broke it down, just wasnt happy with the project.

What I don't have is the right car. The s12 is going to get parked and eventually get a v8.

If/when I rebuild my ka, it's going into a blue emerald kouki, which I don't own...yet.

Going to spend a few years working on other projects like my dsms and some general fab projects.
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

If you could still rip a CAD file of the dizzy cap, or wanna sell it to me. Let me know