SuperDorifto's Overbuilt KA24DE - T Project

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

So,

I'm getting real close to installing this thing, and before I do I just wanted a second set of eyes to glance at my vacuum diagram.

Keep in mind I'm running the following:
- AEM EMS
- GM 3.5 Bar Map with a dedicated port on the intake
- AEM Boost Solenoid control for the HKS waste gate on my turbo
- Venting to ATM on the BOV
- Stock IACV for AC and High Electrical load correction
- Running a OEM style PCV (Main line runs from the de-oiler with a 1 way valve to a high vacuum source post TB, and the VC goes to a location that will flow under full load - the only place I can find without a dedicated vacuum pump being pre-turbo)

Also running, but not in the diagram:
- GM IAT
- AEM EUGO
- GM Oil Pressure Sending Unit
- The FPR is going to be tee'd into the Brake Booster Line until I put in my Chase base Manual Booster

If anyone sees some egregious error, speak up...I'd rather find it now then later...

schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

It looks good to me.

Keep in mind you can adjust the amount of vac the turbo pulls from the PCV with the placement on the intake pipe. Closer to the turbine should pull more vac on the crankcase.

I like how you are going to replace the stock timing cover breather with an inline one way valve (if its not just marked that way for illustration purposes). Are you using a larger valve so more air can pass through? I have heard on here that its a good idea to change the one way valve out for a bulkhead fitting, maybe just for flow, maybe you can elaborate.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

I'm a little confused as to why you decided to route the pre turbo vacuum to the valve cover breather.....my plan has always been to run the preturbo vacuum to the pcv valve on the block with an inline catch can ......I have no vacuum on my pcv right now and valve cover just has a breather on it..
When I was on the dyno at higher boost I could clearly see some blow by coming through the VC breather which I'm sure could be alleviated with the preturbo vacuum on the pcv valve.

Thoughts?
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
Jmoore124
240sx Wannabe

Post by Jmoore124 »

I am glad I saw this. Cleared a few things up for my build actually. Curious, two questions: Having the pcv into the cold pipe will not pressurize the valve cover under boost?(blowing out your gasket and whatnot? And the valve cover de oiler, is that the little block with 3 holes that mounts on the front right side of the motor and has the barbed fitting on it?
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

His diagram does not mean "cold pipe" as in the pipe directly after inter cooler...he clearly labels it as "from air filter" ....so he really means the intake pipe that feeds the turbo which never see boost , only vacuum..

Oh and btw the PCV valve is located on the engine block below the intake manifold near the alternator bracket.....don't confuse this with the fitting on the valve cover breather.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

R34SR wrote:I'm a little confused as to why you decided to route the pre turbo vacuum to the valve cover breather.....my plan has always been to run the preturbo vacuum to the pcv valve on the block with an inline catch can ......I have no vacuum on my pcv right now and valve cover just has a breather on it..
When I was on the dyno at higher boost I could clearly see some blow by coming through the VC breather which I'm sure could be alleviated with the preturbo vacuum on the pcv valve.

Thoughts?
There its no, "pre-turbo vacuum," there is, "relative," vacuum under wot conditions. The stock system has 2 operational modes:

1-under high manifold vacuum, the pcv valve is open, and the manifold vacuum allows the system to flow through the de-oiler into the 4 individual Ports on the underside of the stock intake.

2-at wide open throttle, manifold vacuum drops to ambient, and the pcv valve closes. The blow by pressure building up in the crank case creates a,"relative," vacuum when compared to the manifold pressure. This pressure differential cause the pcv flow to reverse direction and flow up the timing cover, and out through the valve cover breather into the intake pre-throttle body.

I'm running a similar set- up. Under vacuum the 1 wary valve will open and let the de-oiler vent the crankcase into the intake, I have a baffled catch been the valve and the de-oiler.
Under boost the valve will close, and the pressure differential will vent the blow by to the pre turbo cold pipe. I might add a second catch can in line with the vc vent, depending on the amount of blow by
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

I see what youre saying that makes sense, and i can tell you from now that you definitely wanna add a catch between the valve cover and your pre turbo because under wot pulls on a dyno i can see an oil mist from through my valve cover breather filter.....i think it helps add to the shine of my engine bay :-)
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I have this posted on a few other forums, and ive gotten some advice to move the bov actuation to post tb, any thoughts?
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Jmoore124 wrote:I am glad I saw this. Cleared a few things up for my build actually. Curious, two questions: Having the pcv into the cold pipe will not pressurize the valve cover under boost?(blowing out your gasket and whatnot? And the valve cover de oiler, is that the little block with 3 holes that mounts on the front right side of the motor and has the barbed fitting on it?
Yes, the small rectangular box under the water inlet is the de-oiler, is really nothing more than a baffled inlet for the pcv valve, but its meant to let the oil/gas mix precipitate out of the nature before venting to the inlet.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

superDorifto wrote:I have this posted on a few other forums, and ive gotten some advice to move the bov actuation to post tb, any thoughts?

Move it behind the TB, it wont see the pressure differential between the intake manifold and hot pipe. As im sure you know the two sides of the BOV have to see the difference in pressure in order to operate.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

When you put it that way, it makes a bit more sense, iwas forgeting that the tb would block the vacuum signal if the tap was on the wrong side.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Some pics of the final mods to the manifold. I relocated the coolant return to the backside of the thermostat, there was an area on the backside of the waterneck that lets you tuck the connection behind everything. I just need to get an NPT plug for the old hole. I also mounted the MAP sensor, and tapped the hole for the PCV push to connect.

As an aside, it is way too cold to be working in an unheated garage.

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Nice job. IAT, MAP, and IACV are all hidden.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I'm just happy to finally know what the vacuum/cooling circuits llok like. for a long time it was all up in the air, and it took a lot of research/disucssions with my machinist to decide what to keep and where to mount it.

That all being said, I wish that I had also moved to 2 coolant sensors to the backside of the inlet...oh well, I'll have something to do when I pull the motor again.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Well, good news and bad news.

I have not been posting lately becasue I've been in the process of buying a house - I sold parts of my project, and actually ended up selling the Kouki.

Closing on my house hopefully next Friday, so I've freed up a little bit of cash, and went out and bought a shell to throw my KA-T into. I only ended up selling the AEM, and a few gauges, so it will still be red and gold and awesome once its installed. I paid almost nothing for this car, it has zero rust, and everything in it works....hell I drove it to work today.

Say it with me know, "Metallic Poop Brown Datsun."

Are you ready for it.............
BOOOMMMM EIGHTIESS UP IN THIS PIECE!!!!!!!!!

IT IS AMAZING, SOOOOOOO clean for car on the east cost, but there is a bit of a ding in the front to fix, enjoy the walk around.

The digital dash in all of its glory...

The plan is to run a hybrid coil-over set up in the front, I'll be making my own adjustable 4 link bars for the rear. Adding some tasty 15x8s in a low offset, and fender flares. Then the KA-T goes in and I start embarrassing people at stop lights.

It also had all the original brochures in the trunk:
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Awesome, i love 200sxs, couldnt have ditched the 240 for a cooler car in my opinion
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Dat centerfold....LOL

Great buy dude!
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Quicky photo update - after putting up a pretty good fight the old motor is out:

Picking up my built motor from storage tomorrow.

I got a lot of cleaning/painting to do in the meantime - I figure at least 2 -3 weekends of work before the motor goes in.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

that bay defiantly needs a good ol cleaning :P Nice build looks like a fun project! You going to keep it the same color?
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

oh shiiit. its happening. let me know if u need a hand drinking beer while you work on your car. 8)
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Yeah man, its gonna get interesting real quick.

I'm going to try and bang out the Paint and install before the end of June. I just need to stay on track - feel free to stop by anytime..
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Man, I forgot how much bodywork sucks. So in the meantime I've decided to spend some qualitytime finishing the KA.

Picked it up from storage, as it has sat for the last year or so

I would love to keep the coils, but I got rid of my AEM to simplify the build - maybe next year I'll upgrade to Megsquirt and rock the COPs.

I spent some quality time figuring out how the turbo lines were going to run. The original plan was to run a .028" OD -3 SST hardline for the turbo feed, and -6 .035" OD SST hardline for the coolant lines, but predictably I ***** it up. I got mixed up between -3 and -4 fittings and did not have the right size for the feed from the oil block, hence the line just hanging out in space until the fitting comes in the mail. Also, the -6 line is like freaking rebar...I can't bend it with my hand bender, so I canabalized my -6 SST flex lines form my fuel system to route them.

Pic of the oil feed, and the clearance to the block/manifold - the jogggle is to allow access to the manifold bolts and still clear the area.

Coolant feed from block to turbo (using the Stock drainport as a feed)

Installed - it looks like the fittings are touching, but there is like 3/8" clearance (pics below)

I'll also be making some modes to the waste gate bracket so the arm clears

Pics from below showing the clearance block to turbo

Coolant return wraps around the block and goes to a custom fititng that I had a friend whip up - I intentionally left a little length in the line so I can re-route it if neccessary.

Pics of the clamps being used on the back of the block to keep the hardline and flexlines from destroying one another

Finally a tube to tube connection to allow for a little bit of wiggle room until the hardine location is set and I decide if the flex line needs to be shortened

And just because - a shot of the rods while I had the motor upsidedown for routing everything

I also picked up a set of s13 front spindles/LCAs and a lightly used set of JIC Magic FLT-A1s

The camber plate had seen better days - new parts are already in the mail

Up next - some mods to the oil pan, and finishing up the "engine build"
black diamond
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by black diamond »

awesome build man. Looks great.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

superDorifto wrote:
sdaigle240 wrote:RE: IAT

check these guys out

50$ for the gauge and 35 for the sensor

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cPath=5_21
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=167
sDaigle, you are my ***** hero. These are really cool, and have me rethinking my gauge set up.
Never seen those look sick..and that price!

That plating looks awesome, where did you pick that kit up from ?
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

S14wayz wrote:
superDorifto wrote:
sdaigle240 wrote:RE: IAT

check these guys out

50$ for the gauge and 35 for the sensor

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cPath=5_21
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=167
sDaigle, you are my ***** hero. These are really cool, and have me rethinking my gauge set up.
Never seen those look sick..and that price!

That plating looks awesome, where did you pick that kit up from ?
I picked up the plating kit from a hobby retailer Caswell Plating

http://www.caswellplating.com/electropl ... -gals.html

I actually have a good amount of the chemicals left - trying to figure out what els I should plate.
juniorjimenez
NooB

Re: SuperDorifto's Overbuilt KA24DE - T Project

Post by juniorjimenez »

Damm looking good can wait to see it finish
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Gave up on the skullworks adapter...It's not pretty, but it works

So much undercoat...goof off graffiti remover-**** works...

Motor essentially ready to install, sans ps pump...I've gotta sort through my build photos, have a ton of it going together

How it sits today. A few more hours of cleaning and we'll be ready for fresh paint in the bay....shooting for an engine install next week.

Lots of work so far getting the shell ready, big updates coming
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Feels good to be making real progress

Finished cleaning of the undercoating last week and started painting and all the minor fab work to make the s14 parts play nice with its older brother.

Priming after cleaning/sanding

Silver paint going down - I'm planning to get the whole car resprayed in a few years, so for now a little rattle can will have to do.

Fitting the center of the rad support which I made removable

I had a few friends over last night and we got the s14 Koyo mounted up - needed to mount it a bit off center to keep open access to the lower port. S12s have a bit of yump in the tension rod brackets

Started with nylon/rubber isolators

A Pic of how it lloked like it was going to sit

Opted for som simple brackets - also with nylon/rubber isolators - I guess I could have fabbed up something a little cleaner, but I have a feeling that once they're powdercoated/wrinkle finshed they will look pretty damn good

Money shot

Next up fuel lines...-05 tube sleeve and B-nuts to -06 male/male adapters. THese will let the stock lines interface with my -06 lines and reg.
**** pic of the flaring tool - make sure you deburr the edge, add a drop of oil to the anvil, and apply a little heat to the tube tip. I used a pencil torch,

Pics of the flare - lines can now be run.

Back to Fab work - had to chop off the front of the crash bar supports to route the s14 plumbing....Sawsalls kick ass - it started macking some noise cutting through that nut, but I think its pretty sweet that it perfectly bisected it, wish I could say that I planned that

Thats it for today - hoping to drop the motor in the car later next week!!!
hpipro4
240sx Wannabe

Post by hpipro4 »

lookin good! damn! thats one big ol intercooler.

what was wrong with the skullworks oil block? although, i wish they had the ports to left side!

hey who made that coolant adapter that goes on the timing cover frm the heater core and turbo coolant return line?
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I made that adapter with a friend. The skull works adaptor was ok, but it takes a weird size o-ring, and after trying 6 different sizes and the oem ring I have up. It keep cutting o-rings....finally just gave up on it. I even reached out to the chi that made them on the nrr forums, nothing....