Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by adamky »

I'm glad I did the Feature Pack update. Initially, I had issues getting the car going with my old tunes and had to start over from scratch with a stock KA tune. But I figured it out and learned a lot in the process. Also, fan control, flex fuel, and launch control are pretty sweet, despite my desire for a much-improved LC.

BTW, I have a Nistune base image programmer. If you decide you want the feature pack, let me know.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

pretty much what Nismotronic already has plus more...like speed density... ;)
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Doing some reading on Nismotronic. So, COP would require a SR20DET ECU?
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Notice anything different?

Here, I'll make it more obvious
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Yes COP requires an sr20det ecu. I'm running a #62 ecu on my setup.

Did you install your big boy fuel setup?
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yessir I did. Hopefully I can get it running on the 1600's without too much trouble.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Awesome! what fuel pump setup are you running with this again?
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Walbro 485. I had planned to run dual pumps. However, Supakat has pushed his one Walbro to 30+psi without issue, so I decided to just stick with the one and see how it goes. If I get anywhere close to maxing it out and have some crazy idea about wanting more, I'll add a second, staged pump.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

BTW, that's the Xcessive fuel rail. It came with 1/4 NPT ports. I had planned to use 1/4 NPT to -8 adapters, but I noticed that the inner bore of the adapter was smaller than it was on 3/8 NPT to -8 adapters. Not wanting to impose any restriction, I drilled and tapped it for 3/8 NPT.

Other than that, it's a very nice piece and the black anodized rail with gold zinc-plated mounting brackets go nicely with my overall "theme" for the engine bay. The brackets appear to be at the right height with my high impedance Bosch 1600's. I haven't boost leak tested it yet though.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

That's great to know. Yeah, I was talking to someone recently about fuel setups and from what they were saying, the single pumps can and have adequately handled many high flow fuel setups, without issue. The fuel rail and the injectors look great! I prob would've done the same thing after noticing a possible restriction in the system.
adamky wrote:and the black anodized rail with gold zinc-plated mounting brackets go nicely with my overall "theme" for the engine bay.
I agree completely :mrgreen:

cham

Post by cham »

Fuel rail looks good. boost leaks sound so small. When I tightened everything up I was really surprised at the better turbo response and how much stronger the car became. I didn't think it could be any better.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Drove it home tonight on the new injectors :dance:
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

...aaaand how waaasss it?

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It was okay. Tune needs a lot of work. And I'm still having issues with boost control. Car doesn't seem to want to go over 14psi.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So I boost leak tested again and realized one of my boost solenoid connections was loose, basically making it a mechancal boost controller. This explains why the car was @ 13-14psi regardless of boost controller settings. I tightened the fitting and then I boost-leak tested tested it up to 30 psi and she's good and solid now. I only found one tiny, tiny pinhole leak where the BOV is welded to the hot pipe. I'm going to work on the tune tomorrow, but I did one quick pull @ 17 psi just to test the boost controller. Everything appears to be back to normal now. I'm going to spend some serious time tuning tomorrow and hopefully get it close to the point where I can start playing with some ethanol. Cannot wait to see how she does on corn with some more timing advance.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So, I went out with my buddy driving to do some tuning. Out of nowhere, we start smelling oil/smoke. Pulled over and saw that my turbo feed was leaking oil like crazy. I tried tightening everything up but it still leaked like crazy. After the second stop, I had the oil leak down to a small drip (as opposed to a stream) and we were less than a mile away from home. So, I drove there as quickly as possible, trying to keep revs low to keep oil pressure down, shutting the engine off at stop lights, etc. We pulled up to my buddy's garage smoking like crazy again. When I popped the hood, I saw flames and ran to the trunk as quickly as possible to grab the fire extinguisher. Gave it one quick squirt and the fire was out. This is the first time that I have ever had to use a fire extinguisher on a legit, unplanned/accidental fire. This is why I keep multiple fire extinguishers in my car at all times.

Ironically, the whole reason that I decided to run a hard line for the oil feed was specifically to avoid something like this happening: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55240&p=468535#p468535
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Damn man, sorry to hear about the fire.

Which part of the hard line failed?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Luckily it was a tiny fire and I got to it quick.

The line was going into the turbo using a 90* -4AN to 1/8 NPT aluminum fitting. The end of the fitting got deformed where it meets the SS line and just wouldn't hold a seal. I replaced it with a steel fitting and it still leaked, so I'm going to remake the line.
cham

Post by cham »

I went through the same thing. Damn eBay line popped a pin hole. I replaced it with a -4an nos line from pep boys. The quality was 100 times better than eBay lines. Then my buddy messed up the male flange on the turbo and caused it to leak. I had to replace the flange and the female to male 90. Parts and fitting from Jeggs delivers in 2 days. Call me crazy but it actually gets boring at times if I don't have any problems to fix.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Whoa, what the... that's scary! Glad to hear you guys were okay and that you got the situation under control quickly.

Are there any flexible portions in the hardline setup? I remember watching a video that showed putting a coil in a hardline to give a litttle flexibility to take the stress off of the attachment points.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yeah, all of the oil ruined my turbo blanket. It had oil soaked through it and just wouldn't stop smoking.

I think my big issue was the aluminum 90*. With steel fittings, steel tube nuts/sleeves, and SS hard line, it should be good to go. The good news is that if it happens again, it is VERY obvious.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

It was probably over torqued causing it to deform or a crack to develop.

My setup uses aluminum nuts and sleeves with a steel 90. I went with a steel fitting as it was threaded inside to allow the use of a restrictor. If the aluminum nut is over torqued, the sleeve deforms way before affecting the ss tube. I know because I've done this once or twice...

I once had the same issue as you. I thought my **** caught on fire!!! I had previously used aluminum tubing with a single flare(when a double flare was required) causing the tubing to crack right behind the flare. I switched to stainless and never looked back!

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I'm certain that was it. I have a tendency to over-torque stuff a little. Also, when I switched my pre-turbo oil filter out for a different one, the length was a little different. I tried my best to bend the line to work, but I don't think it was ever 100% lined up. I should have made a new line then, but there's a new one there now and so far, no leaks.

Emptied the vacuum tank again. I'm glad this crap didn't end up in my oil.
From left to right... 1. 1st motor rebuild, 2. 2nd rebuild 300 miles, 3. 2nd rebuild 800 miles
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I took a friend for a drive today and logged a 3rd gear pull. I put it into Virtual Dyno and this is what it came back with. Car is currently @ 16-17 psi and ~12 degrees total timing. The weight of the car + occupants should be within 20-30 lbs of actual weight, and I've read that Virtual dyno can be surprisingly accurate if you get all of the details right.
This is SAE corrected for temp. It showed 389whp and 328wtq when I left the temp @ the default 77*. That's almost 120 whp over the supercharger setup with only 4 psi more boost. If the car is actually putting out close to this then I am quite happy so far.

There's probably a little more power to be had with another pound of boost and a tiny bit more timing. Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the AFR going lean right before redline. Here's the actual log that run is from and you can see where it hits 15.xx AFR for less than a 10th of a second. Load (TP) also dropped at this point, so maybe this is where I let off of the throttle.
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

I'm no expert in nistune, but a couple of notes on that log in case it means something.
At 11.8, that is where you observed the lean AFR.
You don't let off the throttle until 12.4, where TPS transitions from 4.2 to .56.
At 11.8, tp does drop, but isn't met with a corresponding decrease in mafs reading. Strangely enough, pulse width doesn't seem to decrease here with the drop in tp.
I wonder if there is some limiter and/or max ttp setting that is limiting you there? What do nistune logs show when the fuel cut rev limiter is active... Does it show injector time to zero?
...or it may be nothing. I wouldn't have thought much of it (maybe a quick misfire or spark blow out if the AFR reading was true at that point) except it seems to tie into some of the decreases in tp (without letting off the throttle or reduction in mafs)
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

BigLoukaT wrote:At 11.8, that is where you observed the lean AFR.
You don't let off the throttle until 12.4, where TPS transitions from 4.2 to .56.
At 11.8, tp does drop, but isn't met with a corresponding decrease in mafs reading. Strangely enough, pulse width doesn't seem to decrease here with the drop in tp.
I wonder if there is some limiter and/or max ttp setting that is limiting you there? What do nistune logs show when the fuel cut rev limiter is active... Does it show injector time to zero?
...or it may be nothing. I wouldn't have thought much of it (maybe a quick misfire or spark blow out if the AFR reading was true at that point) except it seems to tie into some of the decreases in tp (without letting off the throttle or reduction in mafs)
One thing that I have never noticed before this was how strange my speed increase looks. For example, at 11.8, speed goes from 134-142km/h in 1/10th of a second. I don't know if it's some type of glitch/bug or maybe the tires were spinning a little here. For example, if I go over a bump in the road during WOT, I can feel the tires wanting to break free for that split second that it passes over the top of the bump.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well, but basically, I wonder if that quick unloading over a bump could cause the load on the motor/ECU to decrease for a split second, just long enough for it to get picked up in the log?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

My power steering rack is leaking like crazy from the driver side boot. I couldn't find any local auto parts stores that could even get a reman'd rack. There are reman'd racks available on ebay but they are $350-400 plus a f*cking $250-300 CORE CHARGE! So, I bought a seal kit and I guess I'll be trying to rebuild it myself. If anyone has done this and has any advice to offer, I'm all ears.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

How much is it leaking? I have had some success with Lucas Power steering "stop leak" solution. I think its just a higher viscosity PS fluid, then I mixed it with some Auto trans fluid as recommended.

Also, have you checked O'Reilly auto parts? This is where I bought my remanufactured rack from.

I could be wrong about this next comment, but I'm pretty sure there were was at least one seal missing where the pinion housing top connects to the rest of the rack (held on with three star head bolts, but after some Permatex gear oil resistant gray sealer... (knock on wood) no leaks so far (my instagram has pics of this. If I remember correctly it was about half the price of what some of the other places were charging and it comes with new inner tierods and boots. I'm pretty sure they don't have Nissan's lock washers; they are lock tighted in place though and they were installed REALLY well (I believe it was red lock tight on the threads; needed a lot of leverage to get them loose. Power steering works great! ... even with all of the other steering stuff I messed with.

I currently don't have Nissan's lock inner tierods and I'm using blue loctite on these all torqued to spec.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

O'Reilly's was the first place I went as they can sometimes get OEM Nissan parts. They said they couldn't even order one anymore.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

What about rock auto? They were out last time I checked, but I signed up for their news letter and they said they have restocked them.