Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by adamky »

So, 7 years ago, I made some DIY "Knock Headphones": viewtopic.php?f=36&t=43581. I tapped into the knock sensor wire at the ECU. They sorta worked, but I had way too much alternator noise and couldn't hear the engine well. So, I just ended up setting it aside and didn't give it another thought until recently.

About a month ago, I saw a post on the Nistune forums about them and decided to give it another try: http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3066. This time, I used some CAT7 ethernet cable. This stuff is double shielded and really great at minimizing EMI interference: http://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Shield ... detailpage. I used one twisted pair of the 8 wires to connect right where the harness connects to the little knock sensor sub-harness and then grounded the shielding to the head. I tested it and the alternator whine is mostly gone and I can hear the engine much better now. Looking forward to testing them out. I''ll be using these along with Virtual Dyno to street tune the car.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

get something to record the file so you can review when its quiet. thats how i do it.

goldwave is an audio program available from goldwave.com is what I use after seeing it recomended in motec's standalone knock meter. I use the spectrogram feature to show me intensity of noise at certain frequency ranges.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

That is the plan. Going to use a y-adapter to run it into my laptop and record it. I've been playing around with a program called Audacity that allows me to plot the spectrogram. The bright white slash marks circled below are knock. At regular speed, it's too fast to easily distinguish. But if I slow it down to 10%, it's very distinct and obvious, almost like a bird chirp. I'll check out Goldwave and see how it compares.

Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

its better. I tried playing with audacity and prefer goldwave. just bought a lifetime license at 45$
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

then i can send you all my files from tuning over the last year and see what looks like detonation in a spectrogram.

i use a microphone connected to a large aligator clip, I've tried playing with actual knock sensor didnt have any luck much like you did with noise and ****.

I was using shielded cable i was going to try to electrically isolate the knock sensor from the electrical system of the car. Ill figure it out one day, but the **** i use works so........
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I played with Goldwave using the evaluation version. I've figured out how to view the spectrogram but I guess I need to spend more time with it because I'm not real impressed so far. Audacity seems like it's a lot easier to use and I'm not sure yet what makes Goldwave better..?

When I originally did this, I used an alligator clip with the microphone connected to it. Then I read about people tapping into the knock sensors themselves and ditched the alligator clip. I still have it though in case everything doesn't work out as expected.

Please send me sound files! Especially if you know for sure they have knock recorded in them. I need to practice and get familiar with all of this as much as possible.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Greaser wrote:Do you still have that check ball in the filter housing?
Is the check ball in the engine block, or is it in the filter housing that bolts to the block?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks. I'd also like to see those dyno runs showing the differences in cam timing one of these days ;) But I know you're a busy dude so just the sound files would be awesome and very helpful.

So, back to my broken motor... this whole ordeal has me thinking about an Accusump. Seems like cheap insurance when you consider what this is going to cost me in both money AND time.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Check ball is in the block.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

yea thanks for that. I got rid of mine and tapped/plugged it. I don't want unfiltered oil going into the mains/rods.

I'm seriously thinking about going the stainless mesh reusable oil filter route. We really only need the filter to stop stuff that is the size of our oil clearances. There was an article about microns-debris size in inches. looked it up 40microns is .0015" which is the least amount of oil clearance i'd run in any performance engine. So to be safe i'll see if there are some 20 micron filter elements out there.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Is the check ball difficult to remove? There's a very old thread on here discussing whether to plug the bypass: viewtopic.php?t=9914
Lance (JGS) mentioned something about a special tool to remove it. My block is still at the machine shop so I have no way to investigate it right now.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I think I've changed my mind on the Accusump. It just seems like a big hassle and a bit of overkill for a DD. Instead, I'm going to spend some time seeing if I can improve upon the oil sump's current baffling and "trap doors". With these massive gaps all around them, they look pretty useless to me.

I'm either going to make bigger doors/plates to fill up the massive gaps around the sides and bottom, or just fab up a sort of "box" baffle setup that will fit down in the pan and use trap doors in relatively the same locations. They'll just be designed to close up a little better. Something kind of in-between this:

...and this:

I also need to locate some clay so I can figure out just how close my oil pickup is to the bottom of the sump.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Looked at the head more closely today. There's a lot of scoring on the cam journals and the tops of the shims. The cams themselves look okay, but I'm worried this head is toast.
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Damn man.
Another one shouldn't be hard to source.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

If you see one, please let me know. I'm having trouble locating one. If I can't find one, I may have to try one of these refurbished ones that duncan351 posted about: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62506

Replaced the oil pan trap doors with new hinges (Home Depot) and larger doors that fit much better.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So, I guess it's time for updates. The head was toast. The cam journals were just too damaged to fix. Actually, it was mainly just the front journal on the exhaust side. The rest weren't that bad. The crank had to be turned .010" on both the main and rod journals because the crank was warped about .013". The cylinder bores could be re-honed again, but it was on the high side of acceptable piston-to-wall clearance

I found another used motor and picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It looks to be a very healthy motor and the head looks mint. I popped a few valves out and they feel really nice in the guides. This is either a very well taken care of low mileage motor, or the head has been rebuilt at some point. I had it resurfaced for a MLS HG and am going to lap the valves myself, put new valve seals in, and shim the buckets. Of course I'll be using my JWT S1 cams in it. I think I'll probably put my BC springs/retainers in it too, although I'm not sure if it's necessary. I'll be selling the BC valves.

The new block has been bored .020" over and decked. Also, the oil filter check ball was removed and plugged. The crank is in good shape.

So, I have my head and block sorted out. The part I need to decide on is which crank to use. I have the old crank, which will require undersized bearings, BUT it was also balanced 5 years ago. Or, I have the untouched crank from the new(er) motor, which will only need new standard size bearings... BUT, it hasn't been balanced. My machinist thinks I should go with the old crank. I'm inclined to go with his suggestion, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. I need to make a decision soon and order bearings.

Any thoughts on that?
mewantkouki
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mewantkouki »

I didn't realize the first crank had been balanced. The real question is, which crank will help you do better burnouts? Choose accordingly. :dance:
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yes, that's the main reason that he thinks I should use the first one.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Disassembled the head using my handy JWT tool. I freaking love this thing. Makes disassembly and reassembly so easy.

Cleaned up the valves. By the way, it is not shown in these pics, but I actually taped the stem all the way up to the wear mark from the guides so that I would not damage that part.

Now I just need to lap the valves, reassemble the head, and then check valve lash and re-shim my buckets.

I still can't believe the fantastic shape that this motor was in. From everything that I have seen, this motor was well-taken care of and didn't have a lot of miles on it at all. Head had never been resurfaced. The valve stem and valve guides were still in "like new" shape, which means I can do a simple cleanup and rebuild myself without having to involve my machinist.

I've been looking at my JWT S1 cams and while the lobes themselves look fine, the journals have a lot of scarring. I checked the clearance using plastigauge, which looked fine. But the scoring has me worried about whether I'll be able to re-use these cams or not. Like the head, they may be toast as well.

And the crank(s). I decided to use my original crank that was reground .010". The main reason that I chose it is that it was originally balanced specifically for my rods and pistons. Ordered the new King race bearings (.25mm under-sized main and rod). Also order some new rings for the pistons.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

This was a little side project. I bought my Zeitronix ECA-2 with the hacker/tweaker display, which is basically just a bare display so you can custom mount it in existing locations in your dash. For example, in some cars, you can remove your OEM clock and put the E% display in it's place. Clearly that's not an option for our cars because the display is like 4 times bigger than our little clocks.

I'm running out of places to put gauges and I do not like A-pillar pods. So, I decided to design and 3D print an ABS housing for it that will mount it behind the gauge cluster lens. It will be positioned so that it is easily visible between my boost gauge and wideband gauge which are mounted on top of the steering column in an ATI dual gauge pod.

This was V1. There are 4 pieces to it. There's a piece for the front that is made to hold a smoked acrylic lens, a piece to surround the front of the display, and a separate piece for the rest of the circuit board. All of this would go into the outer shell at the top.

V1 would have required glue to hold the entire thing together.
So, for V2, I made some changes. First, I decided to combine the pieces that hold and surround the circuit board itself, reducing the parts from 4 to 3. I also decided to design it in such a way that would allow the 2 inner pieces to lock into each other, and then the shroud would "sort-of" lock in due to some square channels on the insides.
Kind of hard to spot here, but you can kind of see the channels on the insides of the outer shell in this pic. The little "arms" that lock the inner pieces together were designed to be a bit wider than the rest of the inner pieces. This is what allows it to "lock-in" to the outer shroud/shell.

V2 was closer to what I wanted, but still had room for improvement..

So, for V3, I decided to make a bottom to the outer shell so that everything would lock together, no glue required. I also added a lot more angle to front part of the shroud that matches the angle of the gauge cluster lens. This will help to prevent the blue glow from the display from reflecting back off of the lens onto the gauge faces.

The design

Printing

Finished product

And where it will be mounted
ImageImage

You may have noticed that my cluster lens was broke in those pics. I was cleaning it last week, hardly putting any pressure on it, and the thing just snapped in two. Nissan no longer makes this part, so I had to order an entirely new cluster off of ebay just to get a new lens. It was scuffed up and cloudy, just like my old one. So, I broke out the headlight lens restoration kit and polished it until it looked as good as new:
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

As always, good work man.

Are you by any chance selling the tach from the ebay cluster?
If so, is it for a 1995?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks man.

I am actually going to try swapping the tach into my cluster because I've had some weird tach issues for a while now where it kind of "flutters" between 2500-3000. But if that doesn't fix my issue, I'd be glad to sell it (cheap). What I don't know is exactly what year it was from. The ebay ad said it was a "JDM S14" cluster: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331885391307?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

It's a 95-96 cluster. Check the back of yours for for failed solder points. That's usually why they act up.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks, Kevin. I will check that out.

Lapped the valves. Head is back together with my BC springs/retainers. Tomorrow I'll install cams and adjust/check valve lash. Still waiting on rings and bearings. The bearings are what is holding up the order. Talked to RSP last week and they were expecting the bearings today, but I didn't get a shipping notification today. I'm really, really hoping they're not on back order or anything. That's all I need right now.
all shal perrish
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by all shal perrish »

Looking good man! I've been wondering if that tool is worth it, I'm planning on some super tech springs and might pic one up just to install them,
www.autovaughnperformance.com

NISTUNE EXCELLENT TUNING AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE (pm with questions regarding)

I AM ON THE HUNT FOR JWT CAM GEARS..
if you have some, pm me
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It is an awesome tool. It would be better if it had 4 of the little buckets with holes in them instead of just 1. That's about the only flaw. When you get done with one, you have to loosen up the two bolts that hold the tool down so that you can get the bucket out and move it to the next one. I tried making 3 more buckets by drilling a hole in the center of some spare cam buckets, but I don't own a drill bit that can even put a dent in those things.

Fuel tank is plumbed and wired. All hoses used in the tank are ethanol-safe corrugated fuel line. It's 5/16" from the pump to a DIY "y-fitting". This splits the 5/16" hose into two 1/4" hoses which then connect to the two pump inlets on the bottom of the fuel hat. At the time I bought this thing, I had every intention of running two pumps one day. But since then, I realized that one 485 will move enough fuel to cover my eventual goals with this car.
The corrugated fuel line is a VERY tight fit on the barbs and fittings. What makes this easier is to put the hoses and fittings in boiling water until they get hot, and then quickly push the ends on to the barbs before everything cools down. I followed that up with some tiny fuel injection hose clamps for every fitting that wasn't tight enough on it's own.

This PHR fuel hat is badass, but I do have a few complaints regarding the wiring/connector. First off, there are only 7 wires and you really need 8 to wire up two pumps and the fuel level sending unit. The wires for the pumps are also only 16 gauge which is barely adequate for a Walbro 485 pump that can pull up to 22 amps.

So, what I chose to do is use all 4 of the pump wires, pairing the 2 red and the 2 black wires together which then go to a 14 gauge (it might have been 12g) and then connecting those to the pump. This left me with 3 wires for the level sending unit. I got the 4th wire by sharing the same ground wire that the pumps are connected to.

My other complaint is that the wires at the bottom of the hat use solder to connect to the terminals with nothing to support the wires and keep them from moving back adn forth. This is the weakest part, so it bends right at that solder joint and eventually cracks. I lost one wire just from test fitting everything. I purchased some 2 part epoxy that is gas and solvent resistant. I used this to seal the solder joints and wires. This will take all of the stress off of the solder joint.

The epoxy says it is gas and solvent resistant, but I still need to make sure that it is 100% compatible ethanol. So, I made a few test blocks of epoxy. I put these in 2 mason jars, one full of 93 pump, and one full of E85. I am going to leave them outside in the sun so they will get heated up during the day, and then cooled at night. I'll check on them regularly over the next few weeks and if they start reacting to either fuel, I'll have to pull the fuel hat and find a different epoxy that is more compatible.

Since I had the jars going anyways, I decided to test a few pieces of the wire that I will be using, along with a few of the crimp connectors that I used on the in-tank wiring.
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

Adam, you're a scientist. lmao
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I know I'm overthinking everything. Still, I figured this would be easier than pulling the fuel hat every couple of weeks to be sure it's not breaking down the epoxy! It's just that ethanol likes to eat up everything it touches so I Just want that to be sure that I've covered all bases. I had to make sure everything had viton seals and not rubber because ethanol likes to eat up rubber. I had to be careful about what fuel line tubing I used in the tank. Even the hose that PHR includes for the jet pump setup, J30R10, is supposed to be ethanol safe submersible fuel line. But I've read lots of stories about the J30R10 hose not holding up to in-tank, ethanol use. So, I even replaced that hose with the corrugated tubing. The corrugated tubing is one of the few types of hose that you can use in-tank that is 100% ethanol compatible.

I almost texted you earlier to get another opinion on these JWT cams. The bearing journals were quite scarred and I took the cams to the machinist and he polished everything and only took off a thousand or two. He did a great job and 95% of the scarring is gone. I Plastigauged them again and in a few spots, the bearing clearance is right around .012mm which is the max limit according to the FSM. I really love the cams and want to run them, but I'm just worried that the high clearances will give me much lower oil pressure.

So, I cleaned up my supercharger kit last week, polished up the tubing (which had gotten very dull), and put it up for sale. The only thing that I didn't finish were the throttle body flange and the throttle body itself. So, I was just going to clean them up a little, but before I realized it, I had the entire thing apart and was polishing each and every piece of it. Once you get started, it's really hard to stop.
Keep in mind that this throttle body isn't even something that I'm keeping. I'm selling it with the kit, so this polishing is something that only the new owner of the kit will get to look at. WTF is wrong with me?

BEFORE

AFTER
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Good thing I did my little science project on the epoxy. It turns out that it does NOT, in fact, hold up to ethanol. Probably should have done that before I coated the lower part of the harness in it.