Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
hooligans661
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by hooligans661 »

Looks awesome!
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Nice work on the custom mounting bracket! That Nismotronic system seems like it was a great investment; just seems like it has so much capability and room to adapt to new modifications.
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

The wastegate is acting up again. Seems to be stuck closed. Noticed it was pulling really hard the other day, which was weird because I was in low boost on my EBC. So, I turnd the EBC off completely and then got on it to see how much boost it was seeing and I saw it quickly go over 20 psi.. actually saw it hit 26 right as I let off. It spooled so hard and fast that I couldn't get off of the throttle fast enough.

Needless to say, if my motor wasn't built and I wasn't running E85 with big injectors, this motor would probably be toast. I clearly need to set up some overboost protection while I'm working on the wastegate issue.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

I've always had a bad spring in my hallman manual boost controller. I raced a mustang gt and went and estimated 145mph because he told me he was running 140 and I had 3 or 4 cars on him. I looked at my boost gauge b4 I let out and I was well over 23psi and my Afr was in the 12's. It was a cool night, e85 . I truely believe the e85 saved my engine as well.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Man, sorry to hear that. Is the WG line collapsing with heat or pinching?

A long time ago when I was looking for vacuum lines I stumbled upon a company that makes a thick-walled silicone vacuum hose:
http://www.boostcontroller.com/TurboLog ... s/2128.htm

The lines I'm using are super close to the non-coated bare metal exhaust manifold and have been like this for at least 3 years. I vaguely remember talking to someone from the company and the only precaution/ tip they gave was to add a little extra length, so the ends could be trimmed if the ends start to wear (I don't think I've had to do this though).

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Wastegate lines are all stainless braided PTFE. None of them appear to be kinked and all of the fittings are on there tight. First thing I'll do is boost leak test everything. If that checks out and the solenoid is working correctly, the WG is going to have to come off. Which means the turbo & DP will have to come off. This wastegate was serviced by Precision a while back because the valve was sticking open, so I bet there's something like that going on again.

I'll have more info after I tear into it this weekend.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
mewantkouki
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mewantkouki »

I thought this car had a hobbs pressure switch?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It does. It's only a 5 psi switch and it's used to activate the boost-a-spark.
nismo_dreaming

Post by nismo_dreaming »

Love the LS2 bracket you came up with man. I went with something much simpler with mine, and always wished Id taken the time to do it right.

I recall one time where I boost crept to 25psi and saw AFR's hit 12.2 (was running 120lb inj on 93, and it was a cold night thank god).... Felt like I was being pushed by an 18 wheeler it came on so hard and fast lol.
1996 240sx SE LS1
cham

Post by cham »

So I'm not alone.lol
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So check this out. As I was pulling the wastegate off, I heard a klank and looked down to see the wastegate valve on the ground. Umm, that's not normal.
I took it apart and there are the 4 set screws that secure the diaphragm to the valve, just banging around loosely on top of the diaphragm. That explains the valve falling out and it also explains something else... when I had boost-leak tested the car earlier, I couldn't figure out why I was getting boost all the way through the wastegate. I figured the diaphragm had popped out or gotten damaged somehow, but luckily that wasn't the case. It was just blowing through the screw holes.

As for the screws backing out... I know that I put them on tight. I know I did. What I didn't do is clean them and re-apply threadlocker, and I'm guessing that was my issue. I cleaned it all up and applied some high temp threadlocker called Resbond, which I had left over from my Inconel turbo stud kit. Unlike other thread locking compounds, it holds up to high temps very well. I put the screws in good and tight with the Resbond, got it all back together, and she's back to normal now. I actually thought something was wrong on the first drive. I couldn't understand why it felt so slow. And then I realized the boost controller was just off. :mrgreen: Even low boost, 12 psi, feels so slow now.

I'm starting a new job this week, so updates are going to come more slowly. But I am determined to get the car on the Nismotronic SR ECU soon.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

That's great you figured out the WG stuff. Sounds like the screws will stay in place better now too. Hah, yeah I'd imagine even 12 psi feels "slow" now that there aren't any major leaks in the WG, but now A/F ratios will be more consistent and the engine response should be more predictable too.

superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

nice bracket, but those bottom bolts are gonna be a bi*ch to get to...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Good point and I think I know a possible solution to that. I could slot the bottom holes so that the bracket would slide on at the bottom. Then I could go in from the side with a racheting wrench and snug them down.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

well ****... Mr. Supercharger has a big turb. i gotta read up. i see some slick activity going on like that printed gauge cluster. nice to see your still goin, adam. -Daigle
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks Daigle. Bout time you came around for a visit!

I've been wanting to change my intake piping to get rid of the short radius 90* elbow that presses up against the upper radiator hose. Luckily, Xcessive makes a 45* swivel elbow (https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/xm-un ... se-45.html), which I happened to get for my birthday last month. I test fit it today along with some spare mandrel-bent SS tubing (60* bend) in order to figure out how it's going to fit.

Next I need to order an aluminum 60* bend and figure out where I'm going to install the IAT bung.
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

No maf, no problem! lol
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Here's a little in-car video of the gauges as I do some 22psi runs on the street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnPii7OFjRA
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

Nice adam!
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Great work. She is sounding nice and impressive response.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
cham

Post by cham »

She's a beast in them streets. Can't wait to see what it does on the track around 25lbs..I have a feeling you're gonna move up in boost this summer...lol
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Tonight was a good night...

N
I
S
M
O
T
R
O
N
I
C
!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwxwRRDHLU
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I'm too lazy to type right now, so here are some pics.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

The coil wires as I first installed them were hanging down within half an inch of the water pump pulley. That made me nervous. I decided to cut some holes in my bracket so that I could run the wires behind it with just the plugs and a tiny bit of wire showing below the bracket.

I tried bundling the overly long wires together to avoid cutting up the sub harness, but it was just too bulky and there isn't much space behind the bracket to fit wires. So I hacked up and resoldered everything to be exactly the right length. This will make it much easier to install everything, especially because of better access to those lower two bolts.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

These are the last pics of the coils, I swear! After a lot of tweaking and test-fitting, I'm done with this and ready to move on to the next issue, which is figuring out why I don't have working A/C anymore.

As for the Nismotronic, I've got the car idling very well. I'm really blown away by all of the features this setup has to offer. For example, there are 5 or 6 adjustable parameters just for the TPS sensor. I spent well over an hour just playing with the settings until I had it smoothly going from 0-100% through the full sweep.

Tomorrow I'll run some ethernet cable to several locations for additional sensors, switches, and inputs.
JimmBooost

Post by JimmBooost »

Wow.. Amazing Adam! Dedication is an understatement! As I am also building a KA (first 240) picking up my head tomorrow from a local machinist, thinking about starting a thread build also. But then again it's a basic build, as I am reading through you build page by page getting ideas. I'm considering this more like a bible haha great work btw Adam!
Attachments
IMG_2883.JPG
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks man. I think of it as more of a "Best way to throw money away" guidebook!

You should post a build thread. It makes it easier to help troubleshoot any issues when we can look back and see what your setup is/was, how it has changed, etc. The forum is slow these days, but nothing can help make it busier than more posts and threads.
JimmBooost

Post by JimmBooost »

adamky wrote:Thanks man. I think of it as more of a "Best way to throw money away" guidebook!

You should post a build thread. It makes it easier to help troubleshoot any issues when we can look back and see what your setup is/was, how it has changed, etc. The forum is slow these days, but nothing can help make it busier than more posts and threads.
Sure thing, as soon as I get my laptop back.. I was also considering the same thought. As of, I am alone on this build pretty much.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So, apparently when you swap a S13 SR (and of course, the ECU) into a S14 chassis, you have to jerry-rig your a/c by directly connecting some wires. It has nothing to do with the Nismotronic. Using the info from these threads, I was able to get the A/C working this way, along with the e-fans:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-ac-in ... 40273.html
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=59047
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=293720
But this is not how the A/C was meant to operate. In the Nismotronic software, there are pre-defined variables that shut the compressor down if RPM is over 5000, if TPS is over 70%, and if temp is over 230*. If I bypass these things, that can't be good for the life of my A/C system if something were to go wrong. I wish there was another solution, but this may be all I have.

As for controlling the fans, apparently this is only possible on FWD ECUs, which I don't have. BUT, there is another possible solution. There are two programmable generic outputs that you can set to control a switched ground signal. (Big thanks to OnTheChip for that info on the output signal). These outputs utilize unused ECU pins and I have 3 options that I could use. There are parameters that you can set up to control exactly what conditions will trigger the output, including engine coolant temperature. So, I believe that I should be able to control a fan this way. However, I have tried programming several different outputs to trigger at certain temps and I am not having any luck so far. Getting the fans to work is what I need to get back on the road.

My buddy who is just a wiz with anything electronic is supposed to give me a hand tomorrow. Hopefully he'll see something I don't and we can at least get the fan control working, and I guess I'll leave the A/C jerry-rigged (unless I can figure out another solution).

I e-mailed John@j-k-tuning.com with some questions about this but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

Here's a page from the manual that shows the programmable output conditions. It will be pretty cool if I can get it to work because I can program other variables, such as vehicle speed, to define when the fans come on. For example, I imagine the fans don't do a whole lot of good if you're going anywhere above 55 mph, so I can have them shut off when the speed exceeds that.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

My fans are triggered using a generic output based on coolant temp as you described. Make sure your wiring matches the selected output pin.
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240