Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by adamky »

I had to modify that rubber sleeve/gasket that goes around the back of the headlight housing. Had to cut the center out a bit so I could fit it over the big heat sink at the back of the bulbs. Other than that, they are plug and play. Although, I did have to bend the headlight locking clip up a bit to make it hold the bulb in snugly.

I tried them out on the road tonight. I had to aim them down a bit. The overall brightness of the bulb gives off more glare so if I would have left them where they were at, it would probably be pretty bright to oncoming traffic. The good news is that when aimed properly, they're not too bad. And they look great with my HID driving lights and LED parking lights. Color is almost the same so it has a bit of a modern/OEM look to it.

The new MC uses a 1/8 NPT thread on the middle brake line that goes to the front passenger wheel. I used a steel NPT to -3AN adapter, and -3AN steel tube nuts and sleeves with the factory 3/16" hard lines. I had to cut/shorten and re-bend the line a bit. Then I used my Rigid flare tool to flare the line. **I highlighted steel because aluminum tubing and fittings shouldn't be used on brake stuff**

I know the line looks close to the DP but it's about an inch away and there is a very effective BMC heat shield that goes between the two (not installed in this pic).

Oh, and last but not least, I have working cruise control again now!! 8)
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Forgot to mention earlier, but you can tell in this pic that I removed and plastidipped the front lip to match the wheels. After spending several hours trying to strip the paint off of it, I gave up on the mess and put like 6 coats of plastidip on it plus a few layers of their Satinizer clear.

I love the way it looks right now with the plastidipped lip and the smoked bumper lenses.

One other little detail is that I used Dorman lug nuts that are OEM-style close-ended acorn nuts, but they are twice the height of the factory nuts which allows them to just peak out enough for light to hit the ends.
Compare this earlier pic with the stock lug nuts to the two below with the new taller ones.

Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It's interesting trying to break-in a motor, a clutch, and new brake pads/rotors all at the same time!

I snapped a couple of pics of the headlights. The second one shows the color better.

I'll try to remember to get a cut-off pic soon.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I'm up to 130ish miles. Still on Rotella 15-W40 , 3rd oil change.

My right rear brakes are making a noise as the slots pass the pads at low speeds. I'm not hearing anything from the other 3. Need to see what's going on with that.

New issues to address, in addition to the brakes:
1.) A/C blows cold before the engine warms up from a cold start. Then it's nothing but warm/hot air whether the A/C is on or not. I'm thinking the electric motor that controls the hot/cold blend door is out or on its way out...?
2.) Zeitronix Ethanol content gauge display shows a different % than what I see in Nistune: 10-11% vs 25%
3.) Very small oil leak somewhere in the front
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Up to 210 miles now. 4th oil change about an hour ago. I'll probably go 500+ miles on this next one before I start running synthetic/semi-synthetic.

The rear brake issue is with the e-brake and not the new rotors and pads. And I got it to stop by backing out the adjustment screw on the e-brake handle. So that's good.

I've checked everything on the A/C. When I press the A/C button, the green light comes on, the radiator fan kicks on, but the electromagnetic relay & clutch never engages. I tried jumping the pins on the triple pressure sensor. Nothing. The wire on the side of the compressor that actually engages the clutch is not receiving any power or signal from the ECU or HVAC controls that I can pick up on my multimeter. If I give it 12 volts at that wire going into the compressor, the clutch engages and the A/C vents will actually blow cold air (if I give it a minute).

Kinda random, here are a few shots showing the ride height and undercarriage/side shot. It's set at a decent ride height and the suspension has plenty of travel. I've always tried to keep the exhaust and everything tucked up as high as possible for max ground clearance. It takes most speed bumps quite well. The ONLY time I really have to be concerned are those really sharp speed bumps that just drop your car down hard (unless you creep ridiculously slow). On those, I have to be careful because the 90* fitting on my slave cylinder fitting is right where it comes down at... and I have broken it once before.

Also, I have tried getting an in-car video with some decent audio and haven't had much luck. Neither my Xiaomi Yi (sports camera) nor my cell have good audio when I play it back. I'm going to try with a 3rd camera, a JVC camcorder. It's done well at capturing the audio from my RC ducted fan jets, so it may work.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Looking good. I'm diggin that ride height. For the brake thing, what did the noise sound like? Was it just a rubbing sound?

Oh and for the AC, if you've gone through the chain of power for the compressor (compressor, fuses/relay, computer, controller), from what you were saying it seems like it may just be a bad wire somewhere in that power chain. Maybe you could make the same power chain and bypass the existing wireing to see if that would work with all of the components, just something external and then if it does, then go from there and tuck/redo everything properly.

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

The brake noise was sort of a high pitched scraping sound at one spot so it pulsed as the rotor/wheel spun.

I appreciate the tips on the A/C. A friend is supposed to help me troubleshoot it tonight.

I finally found a camera that did a good job at recording the sounds of the motor/turbo/BOV:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mMIMiOsWiWE
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

The temps around here just dropped significantly and it feels like it picked up 10+hp from that alone. I'm getting close to 400 miles on the motor and decided to bump it up just a little to 8 psi. It feels about as quick if not quicker than my supercharger setup did @ 12-13psi.

I'm having some issues getting a consistent idle. It will be @1000 one minute, and 5 minutes later, it's 1500. I keep adjusting the throttle plate screw back and forth and I'm just chasing my tail with it. Probably need to do a boost leak test.

Also, A/C is fixed. Turns out I had a short that was preventing the a/c clutch from engaging.
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

Yes sir, stay on it. Those leaKS have been a pain. Cool nights are fun. The cars pull like a train. And you can be thinking your car is boostung just fine. Then you do a boost leak check and fix them and then get that big smile when it picks up even more. Everything is just so much more responsive and I noticed my mph jumps up faster when I eliminate boost leaks.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Yeeesss, cool weather nights are the best for driving, I totally agree...instant power gain!

Engine sounds great, sounds like it spools quick too from the video.

Do you still have the "idle adjustment screw/assembly" on the intake?

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

This seems bad

And before anyone says it, my throttle cable is setup so that the gas pedal will hit it's stop before the throttle body pulley hits it's travel limit. So, this is not an issue of lead foot syndrome or a poorly adjusted throttle cable! I remember at one point doing something to my throttle body and I looked down and realized that the pulley had inadvertently gotten bent. I bent it back and didn't give it another thought. But, if you look closely, there is some copper looking stuff at the break point in the second pic. It looks to me like it was just brazed on at the factory, which isn't going to hold up to repeated bending like a one piece or welded piece would.

Anyways, I had to buy another throttle body just to get a replacement pulley.

In other news, the car is doing some weird stuff all of a sudden. Sometimes I will punch it, and I only get ~1 psi up until 6000 and then it suddenly shoots up to 15 psi before hitting the 7200 rpm limiter. My wastegate is a used Precision 46mm so it already had some use and miles on it prior to my car. It's like the wastegate is stuck open or the diaphragm is busted. I originally thought it was some changes I made on the boost controller, but it does the same thing with the boost controller's power disconnected. So, I'm thinking that it's either a busted diaphragm or an issue with the boost solenoid.

P.S. 15 psi feels awesome for the .2 seconds that I get to feel it. :twisted: It just spools hard and rockets forward at 6K and I can feel myself getting pushed back into the seat. I wouldn't be surprised if it was putting down 80-100 whp more than my supercharger setup ever did.
cham

Post by cham »

You'll just want to go higher and higher. Isn't it addictive? Are you on e85? If not you're gonna love it
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Still on 93 for now. E85 is coming. I'd like to get the car decently tuned on 93 up to 16-18 psi first. And I'm hoping to sell some more unused parts so I can pick up a Megasquirt ECU.

I pulled the wastegate and the diaphragm was fine. However, the valve shaft as well as the hole/guide both looked very rough, as if something sandy/gritty had gotten in them. I played around with it and even with the spring still in it, it was definitely getting stuck open just due to the friction at the shaft. I don't know if something got down in there or...? I ran a soft wire tube brush down the hole several times (in a drill) to clean it up. I used some 1500 grit sandpaper (wet) and a drill to polish the shaft. It's smooth like butta now, but I'm a little concerned about the longevity and if it will happen again. However, a new WG is $350...!

I didn't take any before pics, but here is the shaft after polishing with the 1500 grit.

It was anodized black when I installed it. Now it's like a brown copper color. Weird
cham

Post by cham »

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. His looked pretty rough as well.
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

adamky wrote: Image

It was anodized black when I installed it. Now it's like a brown copper color. Weird

LOL.... what about dipping it in that zinc process you do to your bolts.... isn't it the same process? It would look nice badass and shiny when your done.
cham

Post by cham »

Are you running a complete hid kit or just the bulbs?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

cham wrote:Are you running a complete hid kit or just the bulbs?
The low beams are LED: http://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h4-90 ... t-kit.html
The driving lights under the bumper are DOT legal HIDs: http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightsco ... -x1010.htm
I've got LED bumper, brake, turn signal, license plate, etc. The only non-LED's left in the car are the halogen high beams and the map light.

Car is back and boosting. Did some logging and pushed it up to 16 psi. At this level, I'm running all the way up to the 3rd highest load column in my tune, which is good because I'm using most of my map. AFR's were in the mid-high 10's at higher load, so I've made some adjustments to lean it out. It feels quick, but I already want more. Ready to switch to the 1600's and start running corn.

This screenshot gives you a basic idea of my fuel and timing maps. Fuel map is very 2 dimensional right now. I'm just trying to get it close. I need to get a buddy to drive so I can fine tune it.

And this shot shows the AFR input tracer and what my AFR's look like overall and where it still needs work.

More videos will be coming soon!
cham

Post by cham »

I thought 10's was rich. I run 11's. So am I lean or what?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I've been wanting to race one of these newer "muscle cars" and I got my chance tonight against a new Camaro that came racing up behind me. It had an exhaust but aside from that, I have no idea because dude wouldn't roll his window down. He was revving and matching my speed and clearly wanted a piece, so when we finally got an opening in traffic, we ran through 3rd and I pulled a good 3 cars on him like it was nothing. After that, he backed off and gave a thumbs up out the sunroof as he passed by at the next light.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

cham wrote:I thought 10's was rich. I run 11's. So am I lean or what?
It's a work in progress man. I was just showing where I was at when I first started turning up the boost. Starting out rich > Starting out lean

Here's about where it's at now after I leaned it out a bit. Keep in mind that the AFR plotting is based on the average of the numbers. There's another factor called "count" that tells how many times each box on the graph is hit. So, just because you see an AFR listed doesn't mean it's something you should take as 100% accurate. You want to try and pay attention to which boxes are hit multiple times when interpreting the results.

cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Glad to hear everything is back in order. That's crazy what happened to the throttle pulley. I think that is really cool that you are really involved with the tuning and data logging of this engine; not too many people will take the time to do this and I'm guessing as a result, the engine runs 100x better in a car that is constantly under the supervision of its tuner. Great work as always! Looking forward to some more of those update vids.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

And....

The wastegate is sticking open again. Pulled it off and this is what it looked like. The valve is stuck open about 1/4". I can break it free but when I pressurize it to open it, it sticks open again.

And this is cruise control pulley V2.

I was real careful not to bend it this time or overheat it from welding. So... finger's crossed

cleantune wrote:.
Glad to hear everything is back in order. That's crazy what happened to the throttle pulley. I think that is really cool that you are really involved with the tuning and data logging of this engine; not too many people will take the time to do this and I'm guessing as a result, the engine runs 100x better in a car that is constantly under the supervision of its tuner. Great work as always! Looking forward to some more of those update vids.

Thanks man. I'm really thinking about switching to MS so I can log more data, such as boost and crankcase pressure. I just can't pay enough attention to either of those gauges when I'm running 17 psi!
Nistune is cool, but I need something with more features and options.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

s14fiend wrote:LOL.... what about dipping it in that zinc process you do to your bolts.... isn't it the same process? It would look nice badass and shiny when your done.
Aluminum is very difficult to plate as it requires an additional process. I haven't done it enough times to be confident that it won't flake off.
The WG can barely be seen, so I don't care that much. Just thought the color change was weird, especially considering that I purchased it used.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Sent the wastegate back to Precision for service. Hoping to have it back by next week. In the mean time, I'm fixing other little issues that I have been meaning to get to. For example, I had to run a wire to the distributor to get the tach signal for my boost controller and TXS knock light. That's done. Second, I needed to hook up a push-button switch for activating launch control. That's pretty close to done.

And third, I needed to figure out why there is a discrepancy in ethanol content % when you compare the Zeitronix hacker display vs what is displayed in Nistune.
Video: https://youtu.be/KXTbG93ajwY
mewantkouki
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mewantkouki »

You could use one of the switches on the clutch pedal... I think it's the interlock? (One that has to be depressed to start a factory 5 speed car.) I think the other one is cruise control cancel.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

That's actually what I did the first time that I tried to set up a switch for LC. But the problem is that it needs a momentary grounded signal to activate. Grounding the signal again will turn it back off. I'd much rather it be a switch with an on/off switch, but that's just not the way Nistune is set up.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good job Adam. Keep it up. Waiting to see how she performs.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

adamky wrote: Thanks man. I'm really thinking about switching to MS so I can log more data, such as boost and crankcase pressure. I just can't pay enough attention to either of those gauges when I'm running 17 psi!
Nistune is cool, but I need something with more features and options.
You can log those with nistune and any other sensors super easy that are 0-5v with the right hardware.
I log boost using a mpx4250dp and the dlp a/d convert.

Nistune can graph it in the trace graphs just like AFR, interpolated perfectly in the right load/rpm cell.
Check out this thread.
http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=1279
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

modulation wrote:Nistune can graph it in the trace graphs just like AFR, interpolated perfectly in the right load/rpm cell.
Check out this thread.
http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=1279
I was looking for something a while back and came across some of your posts and threads about that. Very cool stuff. My big issue right now is that I want flat shift and Matt said he is in no hurry to get that working. He has a ton of other things that he has to fix first so it's pretty low on the priority list.

I'd also like an improved launch control where you can actually lower timing past 0* (ATDC). And of course, COP would be cool. So would a MAP sensor instead of a MAF.
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

adamky wrote: I'd also like an improved launch control where you can actually lower timing past 0* (ATDC). And of course, COP would be cool. So would a MAP sensor instead of a MAF.
I wish nistune had some outputs for things like a boost control solenoid or NOS. Wish I could set fan trip point without having board reflashed etc..

Plenty of reasons to upgrade to megasquirt from nistune.