Dirtay Two Fowty. Building and planning/dreaming thread.

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
rebeltshead
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Dirtay Two Fowty. Building and planning/dreaming thread.

Post by rebeltshead »

Bought it back in January of 2008 with 104xxx miles, bone stock, and perfect exterior. I got it because it was rwd and I was into drifting. Unfortunately I was still living at home and it "had" to be automatic according to the parents. -__-

Through the few years it has been through
-fender kicking the week after I got it (ppl these days...)
-collapsed lower A-arm in my only drifting incident
-highway collision with center divider at 50 - 60mph due to hydroplaning on low tread tires
-shattered trans mount
-another foot in the fender :roll:
-spun bearing cylinder 2 (my bad, I was pretty dang stupid the first year I had it)
-1993 KA put in
-freaking concrete chunks thrown at it while I was asleep...

which brings it to here:

Here's the kicker; I've been planning on pursuing the glamorous motorsports of rally and rallycross. "A rally 240sx you say? Wow that's a bad idea. It's two wheel drive, lacks power, and would never do good" Yeah I've heard that one before and the truth is that it really isn't. In fact, the S-chassis actually has a history in professional rally. Nissan/Datsun rallied the carbureted, 277hp, na, rwd 240RS (homologated from the s110 Silvia or 200sx) in rally in the days of the epic Group B of WRC. (which was banned after 4 years because it was too dangerous)

I think an s14 would be a good chassis for rally or rallycross. Many s13s have already been in rally and so has an s14 - the s13s in Rally America and Targa (Finnish Fury Rallysport, MRWMotorsport) and s14 in PPIHC (Fatman Racing).

They are all inspirations for me:

Finnish Fury Rallysport:

MRWMotorsport:

Fatman Racing:

240RS:

I decided to pursue rally at the beginning of last summer and so far I have done, well....nothing. lol At the beginning of the summer is when I spun a bearing and took me until the end to get it back together. Then I went back to school here at TSTC in Waco and I am focusing on that mainly. Gotta do what I gotta do. Currently it is sitting on a lift at school while I'm overhauling the timing components and some suspension (back to stock, repairs). I'm pulling the motor on Monday.

My plans for this build are to stay with the KA and compete in Group 2 of Rally America and Street 2 of Texas Rallysport. I am actually trying to make the January 21st event near San Marcos (see Event) but it's looking slim. :-\

Why no SR or awd RB you ask? Personally I like the KA and dislike SRs. This is how I generally feel about SRs:
The KA has a better powerband for rally and per rules of Rally America one cannot compete in a turbocharged car until they achieve 20 coefficient points. Plus I know much more about the KA, I love the motor and it has some major potential that people fail to realize. No awd RB swap because competing in 2wd and competing in awd are MUCH different things. Awd is where all the big boys are and in order to learn well it is best to start in 2wd. It's got a lot more competition potential where as in awd most new guys will just get blown away. Also, RBs are way more expensive and harder to come by then KAs. And a good thing to have in Rally is spares....spare suspension arms, motor parts, ball joints, transmissions, axles, and of course tires. That's right up the KA's alley as parts come cheap. The RB on the other hand is a different story...even for a rwd RB.

Recent Photoshoot:

Mod List:
-AEM intake
-BBP 4-2-1 longtube header
-3" midpipe
-2.5" magnaflow exhaust
-Nismo trans mount
-KYB GR2 struts
-88rotors.com slotted/drilled rotors
-Hawk front pads
-PBR XGB rear pads (eBay)
-EGR, IACV delete
-eBay front strut bar
-eBay rucas
-Autometer oil pressure guage
-Optima Yellowtop battery
-a.c delete

Stockpiled Parts
-two 5spd transmissions
-ACT clutch & pressure plate
-flywheel
-5spd swap bearings and bushings
-clutch slave cylinder
-clutch master cylinder
-clutch lines
-5spd shifter
-4.63:1 rack and pinion
-my old 1996 KA block
-1993 KA accessories
-upper and lower timing chains
-upper and lower tensioners
-upper and lower chain guides
-Moog front ball joints
-Moog outer tie rod end

Parts To Get (this year)
-DSS aluminum driveshaft
-clutch pedal assembly
-shift knob
-Rally Armor mudflaps
-open diff
-5spd wiring harness
-stockpile spare stuff
-40mm JVAB Imports Sooper ****in' Suspenders™ (at least down payment)

To Do List (this year)
-finish repairs next week
-replace e-brake cables
-fix trunk lock
-new radiator
-battery relocation to truck
-continue stripping interior
-compete in rallycross events
-5spd swap
-Quest 110amp alternator conversion
-find daily driver

Eventual Basic Parts List for Final Car (planning on full na build):
-catalytic converter (required per rules of Rally America)
-needs a cage
-Sabelt 6pt. harnesses
-Sabelt Taurus seats
-some rally computer
-Arcasting 15x7 Z.AR wheels
-Lassa Rally 4 and Pirelli RX tires
-11.0:1 JE pistons
-Eagle rods
-Supertech valvetrain
-cams...need to research which I should get
-ARP studs
-Clevite bearings
-MAYBE BC FCW crank (lots of $$$$ though)
-MAYBE ATI harmonic balancer (also lots of $$$)
-fab'd light bar with Hellas (700s and 1000s)
-Hella supertone horns
-Lexan windows & nets
-ITBs
-Jim wolf ECU
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
-370cc injectors
-squared off and fab'd suspension arms
-etc

Parts FOR SALE :D
-s14 OEM Fogs $70
-s14 BC stage 2 cams $300
-s14 OEM cams (2 sets) $80
-s14 full a/c parts from engine bay $250

-Eventual paint scheme is up in the air but leaning towards the 240RS scheme. It'd be a cool throwback I think.

Deadline: HAHAHAHA....yeah this is more like a wishlist right now. Focusing on school. Finishing my auto tech degree then planning to complete MET (machine shop) and welding degrees.

And that's me and my s14. I'm tired and going to bed.

What say you? :P
Last edited by rebeltshead on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHIFT_Live
c_mancuyas8

Post by c_mancuyas8 »

This is definitely different. Interested in how this turns out
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

i love rally it take a ton of skill and i love back roading but i cant say that i would do it in my 240 my mom lives on a gravel road and i hate taking it down there and my car looks like ****. but GL and cant wait either to see what happens
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

Thanks! :D

I think I would be too, if I was driving a nice car and stuff.

I'm kind of glad that my car took a beating in it's past because I probably wouldn't have considered beating it up to rally. But now I'm actually going to have to fix its cosmetic impurities. lol

I REALLY hope I can get my car back together for this weekend. I need need need seat time.
SHIFT_Live
k12ispl

Post by k12ispl »

it takes some balls to get into rallying but if you set you mindset to it i think you can get somewhere with that 240 ... just get a good feel of the track first before you slide into turns like Mcrae (Rip) good luck with you build man and keep us updated
1993 240sx Coupe 5 Speed
*'91 Ka Rebuild w/ stock internals
*Stage 1 clutch
*Lightweight Flywheel
^July'12-Traded for a '03 zx6r 636

1969 Datsun 1600 Roadster Build
viewtopic.php?t=52915
www.intercarofknoxville.com
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

Haha thanks now in Rally America we actually cant drive the track first all we get is notes, no recce. But that just makes it more suspenseful.
SHIFT_Live
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

Ordered new radiator....oem one had a screwed up hose connection...I hate it.

Had to resort to eBay, went with a KOSpeed or whatever. It'll do, now I just hope it gets here in time.
SHIFT_Live
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

So...after taking the engine out and having it on a stand...I thought to myself. I've already come this far why not pop in a new HG and studs. I did get the motor from a craigslist seller so I don't trust it too much?

What do y'all think?

Just for stock....if I had deep pockets and a different DD I would go ahead and order my bottom end parts but I do not.

Felpro HG and ARP studs sound good for stock?
SHIFT_Live
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

So...after taking the engine out and having it on a stand...I thought to myself. I've already come this far why not pop in a new HG and studs. I did get the motor from a craigslist seller so I don't trust it too much?

What do y'all think?

Just for stock....if I had deep pockets and a different DD I would go ahead and order my bottom end parts but I do not.

Felpro HG and ARP studs sound good for stock?
SHIFT_Live
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

had a shipping error with a tie rod end...wont make this event but there's one on Feb 18th I will make.
SHIFT_Live
DC47A
240sx Wannabe

Post by DC47A »

That is so lame that you need 20 points before you can be turbocharged.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Is that FI rule for those starting out/beginner class? I could see that perhaps for safety reasons but otherwise, I dunno. Especially when someone could theoretically enter with a Z06 lol and be much more dangerous or powerful than a stock SR20DE-T setup...

Or maybe to prevent Turbo engines from having too much power (and back to the safety concern lol)

In my late teens I finally got a PS2 and bought all the rally games I could find, mostly Colin McRae. Rally and Karting, that's the stuff!!

Jeremy
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

niceguy wrote:Is that FI rule for those starting out/beginner class? I could see that perhaps for safety reasons but otherwise, I dunno. Especially when someone could theoretically enter with a Z06 lol and be much more dangerous or powerful than a stock SR20DE-T setup...

Or maybe to prevent Turbo engines from having too much power (and back to the safety concern lol)

In my late teens I finally got a PS2 and bought all the rally games I could find, mostly Colin McRae. Rally and Karting, that's the stuff!!

Jeremy

I believe so...now I need to go over the rules again because I may have read it wrong or they may be for a particular event. I believe the highest corrected displacement you can have, though is 5.0L. I do for sure know that turbocharging will bump me up a class from G2 to G5.

And heck yes it is! I love Dirt 2 and 3 although they are very arcade like and physics are off. I have RBR for PC and it's bomb. It's a rally simulator but all the cars are awd.
SHIFT_Live
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

Didn't get the car to the rallycross. I wish TSTC gave me more in-bay time.

Here are some pics of the event though:

2wd line up: Image

Brianne Corn's race prepped 2.5RS. She was the overall winner. Puts 84hp to the ground. Power is definitely not everything.

I got to ride with Brianne on her last (and quickest) run of the day, I will say she can REALLY make that car move.

coming out of the hairpin

Chris at the wheel of the RS, one of many drivers for that car at the event.

This guy, Yan, had a bone stock automatic Impreza 2.2L and turned the best lap time for the street awd class. Among many many WRX STis and WRXs and an Evo. Skills. He came in 5th because times were cumulative and he fudged up his last run.

Yan, in the line up

LEGIT

debeaded a tire. lol

RX-8

Datsun 510

herp derp

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1P4mAcz ... r_embedded

Street 2wd winner

Bumpercam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq79k02e ... r_embedded

Rally rental:

Firebird Formula, LT1

Rally rental Forester: rolled and totaled.

WRX
SHIFT_Live
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

After attending the rallycross and seeing an 84 awhp car win it I have a change of plans...I'm going to focus less on engine building and more on suspension and safety and of course 5spd.
SHIFT_Live