Datsun 510 ka-t build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
ViperGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Datsun 510 ka-t build

Post by ViperGT »

Hey guys ive had the car for a while with a n/a ka with flat tops but then i broke a ring land and started spending money. The engine w/ turbo is going to be WAY to fast for the car for a long while. The biggest tires i can fit currently is a 195. Planning on 600-650 on race gas. 450 on 91 and meth injection

Engine:
ARIAS 8.8s .020 over
Eagle rods
BC v2 cams
Ferrea inconel exhaust valves
Supertech Intake valves
BC valve guides
Port and Polish soon to be done by Rick Kemph
Clevite mains and rods
Arp main studs and head studs
beercan v1 fuel rail

Still need a head gasket STOCK? or CLEVITE?

Pistons are above deck about 7 thousands

Turbo setup is still undecided
planning on gt35r or gtx30 if affordable, and possible hx35
Tial mvr 44 if its big enough
Custom manifold i want to do my self, Indy car style

AEM series 2 for sure

Still to buy:
Comp clutch twin plate?
Rc P&H 1000 or 1200
fuel safe 26 gallon
Cv conversion
new drive shaft
cage
bigger radiator possibly in trunk after fuel cell and widened/ extended bolt on quarterpanel/ flare
oil pressure gauge
tach
dash need to be made cf/aluminum

Current garage setup lol minus car

parts!!

deck and tdc getting checked

fresh paint in back seat and trunk

trunk and pump instal

sexy looking A1000

fresh coil overs for rear

When it was running

old engine running

Left: stock middle: first 2 right: second six
dumb a**es at supertech send me 2 valves then second six were on back order and i finaly get them and they dont match first 2!! Under cut is at different hieghts backcut angle is different along with seat width.

More to come should be running NA soon!!
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

oh man, stoked to see this thing going. absolutely love the datsun 510.

what are you going to do about the traction issue? I mean there are always 195 slicks. cant say i have seen any well done wide bodies on a 510 before
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

yeah im not completely sure but im thinking im gonna get some structural support added in the rear and im gonna cut the inside of the wheel well all the way around and then put a hydro jack in there and push it out an inch or two the only problem is that its a four door and then i can fit 205 55's for track days.

this is what im thinking because the standard 510 widebodies look horrible and this would add a more moderized racy look to the car.
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

wow thats one clean datsun and a damn nice built motor
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

could always run shortie axles and just move tires inward if you are going to start doing fabrication. that is, if you only want it for a drag car
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Nice setup.. Motor sits really low in there!
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

thanks guys and beercan idk if you know but its got swing arm style irs in rear so it would all have to be moved inward. Once everything is done i want to do a custom a arm suspension in rear to give me more room but that will cost alot.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Can you get e85 in the area? Ive filled up at conserv near the 10..I know theres a few more.
It would be the way to go if you put some big injectors on there.. I didnt see the injector size listed. This is going to be sweet with 600hp

Might want to go with 11-12mm arp head studs and a cosworth/cometic style MLS gasket for your 600-650 goals
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

I really wish I could do e85. I live near the 605 and 405 and there's only One e85 station near port which is 12 miles away min plus traffic which really sucks. I mentioned getting rc 1000s or 1200s to support 6-650. I will be doing a snow performance meth injection kit most likely and I thought about the head studs but I'll only be using above 450 hp 10-14 weekends out of the year if that. I really want to use I cometic since they offer slightly thicker head gaskets than stock and my pistons are peaking out of the bore a tiny bit, but Im really concerned because I always hear about people blowing them but at the same time I dont know how many are successfull. If I do use an Mls I am definitely going to sand the resurfaced deck just to be sure, I heard 200 grit is good for about 20-40 ra.
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

just got an up date that valves should be shipping out today!! Which means i should have them monday.
Super Coupe
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Super Coupe »

Not to sure about how far the pistons can peak out. I do know the FSM states 1mm off block and 1mm off head max when decking.

Cosworth recently came out with a head gasket for the KA. They offer different thickness and bore sizes IIRC. Might be something to look into.

What timing kit is that? I would only use OEM. You know its going to be perfect the first time. Ebay kits are complete crap, the castings on a lot of the parts are junk. A few people here have had issues, and on a few other forums they resulted in spun bearings. They casted the tensioner hole in wrong spot....essentially blocking oil from coming out.

Have you looked into a new timing cover? Not sure if you already picked one up. But it would be a good idea. Old ones tend to cause problems when supplying oil.

Another note. People have had issues with s13 pickup tubes. I would upgrade to a s14 oil pick up tube if you can, and dont forget to replace the gasket.

Build looks very good! Keep it up.
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Super Coupe wrote:Not to sure about how far the pistons can peak out. I do know the FSM states 1mm off block and 1mm off head max when decking.

Cosworth recently came out with a head gasket for the KA. They offer different thickness and bore sizes IIRC. Might be something to look into.

What timing kit is that? I would only use OEM. You know its going to be perfect the first time. Ebay kits are complete crap, the castings on a lot of the parts are junk. A few people here have had issues, and on a few other forums they resulted in spun bearings. They casted the tensioner hole in wrong spot....essentially blocking oil from coming out.

Have you looked into a new timing cover? Not sure if you already picked one up. But it would be a good idea. Old ones tend to cause problems when supplying oil.

Another note. People have had issues with s13 pickup tubes. I would upgrade to a s14 oil pick up tube if you can, and dont forget to replace the gasket.

its an osk made in japan very high quality or so ive heard. The timing cover is in good shape a new one is $450 not willing to drop that unless the cover was beat.

and do you mean the pick up with the smaller pick up at the bottom? and thanks
Super Coupe
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Super Coupe »

ViperGT wrote:
Super Coupe wrote:Not to sure about how far the pistons can peak out. I do know the FSM states 1mm off block and 1mm off head max when decking.

its an osk made in japan very high quality or so ive heard. The timing cover is in good shape a new one is $450 not willing to drop that unless the cover was beat.

and do you mean the pick up with the smaller pick up at the bottom? and thanks
A few people have sourced the front covers from $180-260. Yes OSK is good stuff.

The pick up in the oil pan that attachs to the timing cover. A few people have had the s13 tubes break trashing their motors.
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Well they have s14 covers for 250 but s13 is like 350-450
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Head is out for P&P by the former owner of port flow - rick something, Only paying 300 will have pics when i get it back!
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Port and polish is done, along with valve guides. All that is left to do is file rings, do piston valve and piston head clearances, assemble the head. Then shell be ready for final cleaning and assembly.

I do have a slight feeling that the numb nuts may have installed the valve guides backwards. ie intake for exhaust, as the exhaust valves feel tighter in the exhaust guides than they do in the intake. The exhaust is supposed to have more clearance right?

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Put a little oil on the valve stems so they move easily in the guide.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

ViperGT wrote:Well they have s14 covers for 250 but s13 is like 350-450
west covina nissan (thenismoshop) in cali sells covers for 195 shipped if your still interested. the covers are interchangable i think you just need the upper cover to match.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

yeah ill try that, if they are backwards do you think the valve will bind? alse the covers are not the same there is a dowel pin on the block that is different, The heads you can swap w/ correct uppertiming cover.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

ViperGT wrote:yeah ill try that, if they are backwards do you think the valve will bind? alse the covers are not the same there is a dowel pin on the block that is different, The heads you can swap w/ correct uppertiming cover.
pretty sure you can swap the covers, have used the s14 covers on 3 different s13 blocks myself. just have to match the top and bottom. which dowel pin are you talking about?
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

the two that stick out from block. anyways head done now just to shim. Image
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

oh, i forgot to mention i fuzking love this project.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

ran into slight issue, stems will need to be ground, cost $80 but i will have acess to a valve grinder monday and i will practice on old valves and then do the new ones to achieve proper clearance.
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Finally filed rings, top gap at 21 thousandths, second ring was 22 thousands out of the box. Hopefully ill get on the valve grinder tomorrow and get my head finished!
Last edited by ViperGT on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Sounds good. Ringing the block is a meticulous process.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
240s-ex
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240s-ex »

nice build, I love the car
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Thanks guys, ground all of the stems the past 3 days in my limited time at my old high school, still have 3 to do took off a Bit too much on one of the exhaust valves and one of the intake valves but the rest I should be able to swap shims and make it work
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

got the shims for the head and stems ground, put timing chain on and everything and checked piston valve clearance and piston head clearance with clay, bolted head on with 8 26thousandths feeler gauges for a simulated head gasket, 90+ thousands of valve clearance and 15-18 thousands of piston head clearance, i ordered a 51thousands head gasket from cometic which should give me 40-43 thousands of piston head clearance. right?
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

Final assembly is pretty much done, got a new front cover, and oil pan and pickup still need to Go on and valve cover needs bolts + silicon, and spark plugs, along with intake exhaust and alternator one in car. Pictures!
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
klh6686
240sx Wannabe

Post by klh6686 »

I like the color on the valve cover!