My Condensed Build Thread (Now With Megasquirt!)

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Natty Speed bro! I'm taking a half day off of work, I'd say meet me there if you want but if you leave after work you won't make it in time :cry:

Probably gonna buy a new MVS so I at least have one to get tuned with, in the mean time I'll send this one out to Tial to get fixed, then sell it when it comes back all nice and refurbished.
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Chris28 wrote:Natty Speed bro! I'm taking a half day off of work, I'd say meet me there if you want but if you leave after work you won't make it in time :cry:

Probably gonna buy a new MVS so I at least have one to get tuned with, in the mean time I'll send this one out to Tial to get fixed, then sell it when it comes back all nice and refurbished.
I work b shift this week. Gotta be to work by 8. May have to come for this.

Yea I remember you saying nat speed now. I was talking to a guy with an evo too and thought he was the one going there lol.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Oh sweet, definitely come down then! Daniel is riding down with me so unfortunately you'll have to drive separately, but you'd have to anyways because we're heading down to Myrtle afterwards haha.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

New wastegate works great, opens right at 17 psi, no spikes or creeping. Due to the lack of pictures I'll post a video I made the other day. Some friends and I have a "drift kart" we made out of a regular go kart with 10" pvc rings around the tires. It's a lot of fun haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1z__YksgE
Tillis
Learners Permit

Post by Tillis »

How do you like your flipped bottom mount manifold? And how did you do it? if you don't mind me asking.

Interested in doing this to mine.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Flipped manifold works great, I really like it. All I did was cut the t2 flange off and tack the t3 flange on, put it on the car to make sure everything looked like it was going to line up, then took it to a friend to weld up and add the external gate.

Got tuned on Friday. Pretty happy with the results, 366whp and 355ft/lb at 16 psi. I was listening to knock through the MSPNP's headphone port, not really sure what to be listening for but I heard some "crackling" up top with 14° timing so I put it down to 12 and didn't hear it again. You couldn't hear it outside of the car and the tuner wanted to add more timing but I was wary of the noise I was hearing so I left it at 12. Quick on/off throttle response is much improved as well, idle is much better too. If anyone wants the tune file I'll send it to them, and at some point I'll send it to emo_tactical so he can host it.
wheelman
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by wheelman »

I'd be interested in looking at it.
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Sure sounds like a good call, sounds like detonation especially when it went away with less timing.

Keep an ear on the engine when its hot and doing a long pull as this will generate the most heat
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good job.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Resulted in:

Also resulted in a blown power steering rack and a melted distributor cap. Still had a blast though, and now I get to fix more things!

For those of you who want the .msq, either reply or pm me with your email and I'll send it on over.
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

I just got a chance to look at your tune, the VE map looks a lot more llike mine now, not as flat as the one you sent me before.
I also was looking at your timing map and noticed you have the cell at 240 load/3500 rpm set to 6.3, you could put that at 12.5 or 13 and make a little more torque at that rpm range. This is based on the dyno plot that showed full boost by 3500 but the torque doesn't peak until you hit 4000rpm where the advance is finally at 12.5. Something to try anyway, unless that was the area where you heard the detonation and pulled timing.

One thing you might try to make future tuning easier is turn on "Incorporate AFR Target" in the fueling equation. This makes it possible to use the AFR table for tuning once the VE tables are setup. If you want to change the AFR for a cell you simply make the change in the AFR table and leave the VE table alone. The way you have it setup now the only thing the AFR table is used for is VE Analyze Live and EGO feedback control.
If you do this you'll have to retune the VE tables so make sure your up for that before making the change.

One thing I'm considering is changing the RPM cells of the timing table to allow for finer tuning of the timing ramp area from 1500rpm to 3000rpm. If you look at timing table 1, once you reach 3500rpm all the timing is in and there is really no reason to have all those columns dedicated to specifying essentially stable timing. My thought is to use 3 columns to specify timing for 3500 - 6500 and 7 columns to specify 1500 - 3000. Timing table 2 (timing in boost) can still have the columns set as they are so you can specify higher rpm/boost timing with more precision. In fact you could reverse the fine/coarse columns from table 1 to 2 due to the rpm ranges spent in them most of the time.
Does that make any sense to you?

Sorry for the book, just got to thinking about this stuff and it all came out. :)
Wheelman

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Thanks for the input! Cell 240kpa/3500rpm wasn't where I was knocking, I went ahead and changed that cell to 10. I really shouldn't be there unless I'm brake boosting, and since it's a weird load situation I don't want to make it 12 haha.

I actually just turned off EGO control, I accidentally had it on during tuning. My car mainly sees track time, if I start caring I might turn it back on and get cruising AFR's set where I want, but I have some other things to take care of before I worry about that.

My tuner talked about my resolution, he said it's possible that I have too much resolution. There were a few places that throttle response was a little jumpy, he that since the axis values are so close together MS is trying to interpolate from too many cells at once causing it to "jump" and not know which cell to use, if that makes sense. This was also before we adjusted acceleration enrichment, and after that my problems mostly went away.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Re-did my power steering setup. I blew out my rack at the last drift event, one of the fittings on the back of the rack decided to break and pour fluid everywhere. New remanned rack, solid steering column bushing, new cooler, and new lines. Hopefully it doesn't leak anymore!
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Came in first place again at round 2 of the local points series. Not much has changed, have a long list of stuff to do before round 3.

Last drift day I was entering around 60 mph but the corner was so tight I was only at 20 mph coming out of it. Since it was an e-brake entry I would be off throttle, and when I got back on it I would be out of boost. Hopefully I've solved this by wiring up launch control to my e-brake switch. Now when the e-brake is up, LC is activated, and when I get back on the power I'll already have built boost. I didn't want it on a clutch switch because I didn't want to to interfere with clutch kicks. I tested it out today and I build about 10 psi, I might play with it some at the track but I won't know how well it works until I can actually use it haha. LC settings are:

Launch retard above 3000
Retard to 1 degree
Enable when TPS abover 20%
Hard limit 3500
Cutting 5 from 7 sparks

If anyone has any input on those settings please let me know! I normally hit full boost at 3500 so I figured having it cut there would put me in boost when I let go of the e-brake.
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

Congratulations man!

It looks like your left front tire is off the ground in the second picture, how big is your front sway bar? Maybe it's just an optical illusion. :)

I went to my first auto-cross after all the suspension mods and fixing a bunch of exhaust leaks weekend before last, came in 4th out of 9 in my class. I felt pretty good about it as I hadn't even had an alignment done yet and it was like driving a brand new car. Next event is in a couple weeks, I need to get some different wheel spacers and an alignment.

BTW: I ended up buying a Holset HE341 instead of the 5134. It's tough to argue with a rebuilt turbo of similar size for less than $300.00. I'm not planning to install it until after this season. Even with the T3 and only 10psi I have trouble putting the power down on corner exit, can't imagine what the Holset will be like. I need to soften the rear and tune the setup to reduce the anti-squat nature of the S13 rear end.
Wheelman

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Thanks man! I wish I was lifting the front tire, more grip would be awesome. I'm also in the process of tuning the rear suspension to try and get more bite coming out of corners. I can position the car where I want to, but I can't close gaps while drifting. I find myself having to take a shallower line in order to keep up with people where I wish I could just stay close with more angle.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Sponsors ftw! Comp Clutch hooked me up with a white bunny setup. Upgraded disc and PP, hopefully it lasts more than 6 months.

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Chris28 wrote:Image
Can you tell us a little more about what you did here? I'd love to know what size fittings you used on the P/S pump itself. I wanted to tap the lower port (90 degree neck) but it didn't look like there was enough material to make a thread in it.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Sure thing! I used this:

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5060073-krc-pow ... tting.html

It's a KRC power steering fitting, it bolts on directly to the pump and uses a -10 hose end. I welded a -10 fitting to the reservoir and have a 90 off the reservoir and a 45 off the pump.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Awesome! I will be ordering that next week! What about the longer neck with the double banjo bolt? Did you weld a fitting onto it? It's the last question, I swear....for now ;)
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

I think I ordered a high pressure line kit from someone on Nico, but the Isis one is the same thing. It comes with both fittings.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/*I ... 240sx.html
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Chris28 wrote:I think I ordered a high pressure line kit from someone on Nico, but the Isis one is the same thing. It comes with both fittings.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/*I ... 240sx.html
Ah so there is a M16x1.5 to -6AN fitting on the outlet neck w/ a crush washer (the top one) where the banjo bolt would normally go.

Thanks again for sharing this info!
Last edited by Kamilitaryman on Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Stock banjo is still there, as is that weird cast piece that it bolts through. The end of the cast thing now has a double male fitting on it which allows the braided line to bolt to it.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Chris28 wrote:Stock banjo is still there, as is that weird cast piece that it bolts through. The end of the cast thing now has a double male fitting on it which allows the braided line to bolt to it.
Yup, that's what I meant to type lol, I went back and edited my post :)

Are you using power steering AN hose ends/hose on the rest of your setup or regular ones? I know the ISIS one uses P/S ones.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

The high pressure one is rated for PS, everything else is just regular hose. The rack return isn't under very much pressure so regular hose and fittings are fine.

I made a bad financial decision and bought kouki tails a few weeks ago, they look awesome though so that's how I'm justifying it. A friend finished painting the lower garnish thing yesterday so I wetsanded and buffed it some today, I'm going to be sad when I hit something and break these.

Sleepy_Steve
240sx Wannabe

Post by Sleepy_Steve »

Sweet setup, I think I've seen it at some events.

Love the solution for being out of boost for e-brake entries.
'95 240sx
FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack »

I just realised how freakin' badass your GoPro mount is. Awesome!!

89 240SX Coupe
02 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L 4x4
03 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R
77 Honda Trail 70 140cc swap
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Haha this is awesome! And you can ALWAYS justify koukies!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

FlatBlack wrote:I just realised how freakin' badass your GoPro mount is. Awesome!!
Haha thanks dude! I kinda copied the Vector Mount, but didn't copy the $300 price tag.

This is how the car looked yesterday:

I installed the upgraded White Bunny clutch setup, pedal feel is a bit softer but it definitely grabs a lot harder now. I drove it ~3 hours today to a friend's house to go drifting, tomorrow is round 3 of the point series thing.

Encountered an issue while driving around before leaving, launch control seems to be on regardless of whether or not the ebrake is up. I know the switch isn't grounding out because the dash light isn't on. I can't drive normally because anything over 3500 rpm means it cuts timing and makes fire. I've turned it off, I'll try and troubleshoot it in the morning but I'll more than likely leave it off for the event, I don't want it engaging in the middle of a run. A few people on MiataTurbo seemed to have the same issue, but the threads never went anywhere. I know Supa was having some LC issues, can anyone think of what might cause LC to be on all the time?
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

If the ECU isnt seeing your speed it wont trigger LC (thats what the stock ecu is based off), or maybe something with the e-brake switch you set up?

I love the build and its great to see you kicking ass with the ka
Last edited by schmauster920 on Sat May 25, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress