HI-COMP KA24DE W/12MM HEADSTUDS E85

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by wesamiss »

this thing is so bad ass.
WES
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Coming along great.. this is how my projects look in my head but they never seem to turn out that way :lol:
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

wannabethestig wrote:Two things.... are some of the "track" pics at bremerton? And... would you consider doing some boost to pre-turbo ratio logs?

I have been thinking of tapping into my manifold to get the pressures to assist in the cam selection and determining optimal timing.
Yes, all track pic's are from either Bremerton, or Packwood, Wa.

Actually I forgot to tap the manifold for a 1/8" pipe thread before having it ceramic coated. I was going to use that for a pressure port. I'm not sure if I'm going to use a map sensor for my ecu to datalog manifold pressure, or a hand held pressure gauge that my eyes can datalog.... I have not made up my mind but I may just drill and tap the pressure port on the underside of the manifold were it is not visable, or be lazy & use one of the egt ports for a temporary pressure gauge port.
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

I've been to bremerton many times and i would like to meet up with you the next time your out.
My wife "haven't you spent enough time and money on that car yet?" my answer "no"

The build thread-> viewtopic.php?t=58421&highlight=
thirtytwoslim
NooB

Post by thirtytwoslim »

Very jealous, awesome build its coming along. Whats are the ports used for that you tapped in on the exhaust manifold though? Haven't seen that before.
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

thirtytwoslim wrote:Very jealous, awesome build its coming along. Whats are the ports used for that you tapped in on the exhaust manifold though? Haven't seen that before.
EGT=exhaust gas temperature... he is going to measure that temp at each exhaust port.
My wife "haven't you spent enough time and money on that car yet?" my answer "no"

F1Altima
240sx Wannabe

Post by F1Altima »

I noticed alot of headgaskets (yours included) don't come pre drilled for the water jackets surrounding the cylinder walls, how come?
Crower Rods
Arias Pistons (8.8:1)
Precision SC61 Turbo (Currently 17lbs)
POS AEM ECU
DMH Electric Exhaust Cut out
MSD 6+/Magnecor Wires
AFC Neo
AEM WideBand
AEM Serial Gauge
A.C.T 6 Puck Clutch
Custom Short Shifter
Stillen Strut Bar
ST Rear Sway Bar
Whiteline Front Sway Bar
Racing Line Endlinks
Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors
GC Springs/Tokico Struts
18" Centerline RPM's (15lbs!)
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

It would be interesting to see what kind of flow your getting with you head now. I read somewhere that the exhaust flow should by about 90% of the intake flow at 28". That would basically mean almost focusing on the exhaust side exclusively with our head design. Alternatively using longer duration cams on the exhaust side but i wonder how that would affect spool.

Ponda
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ponda »

Awesome build! Keep up the good work. Ready to see more!
03' WRX
89' S13 Coupe 2-Tone
www.stuckUdecals.com
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

I swear I just saw your exact manifold/turbine housing/DP for sale....cant remember if it was here, or zilvia...

Project is still on I hope?
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

superDorifto wrote:I swear I just saw your exact manifold/turbine housing/DP for sale....cant remember if it was here, or zilvia...

Project is still on I hope?
He is... he has another thread here that he keeps updated. Also no intercooler. He's not messing around. One of my favorite builds.

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthr ... 03&page=83

Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

I've made quite a bit of progress. Sorry for not updating.
Turns out my new turbo bolted right up to my old down pipe and charge pipe... I'm going to run my old manifold unless someone else buy's it.

Working on new control arms...
Last edited by Jason M on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Is it safe to run without an Intercooler?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

He wants to see how much he can get out of it without one. Less weight and better throttle response and spool. E85 will also help a ton...

Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

Knock module... Allows for individual cylinder knock control with windowing.
Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

Plumbing in coolant lines for the turbo using -4an ptfe braided stainless hose. Probably one of my favorite hoses to make. They always turn out so clean!
(ignore the tape on the hose, still mocking things up, the hose is not even connected to the hose end yet)
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

Interesting water feed. I never would have thought to use the coolant bleeder screw as a source. Where are you plumbing the return line? I was going to use the coolant drain plug under the exhaust manifold for the feed using a -6 an line and return it into the thermostat housing.
jholman05

Post by jholman05 »

I'm also curious about your turbo coolant feed/return. I'm switching mine to the exhaust side of the block and that small line coming off behind the upper rad hose... the one that runs next to it. I figure that way it will want to continue cooling after shut down since the exhaust side of the block down low is "cold" and the rad hose location is where it's "hot"
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

I'm still trying to figure out the -4 business. I don't know of any turbochargers that use a water fitting that small...
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

There's probably a reducer on there, I would think
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

I'm using the block drain on the exhuast side for a feed using a 1/4" BSPT to -4 adapter, and the bleeder port as a return. I drilled & tapped the bleeder port to 1/8" NPT. I'm a little concerend with the -4 coolant lines, but more concerned with the placement of the return hose since it's now the high spot in the coolant system. I'm already thinking about changing it up a little.

The way I plumbed in the return line is the only way to gently slop the return upwards to assist in thermal siphoning as per the recommendations on Garrett's website. I had already purchased -4 fittings assuming that it would use the same coolant lines as my Tial. I see that most people us -6 an, & most hose routing is almost never by the book.
jholman05

Post by jholman05 »

Hmm, sounds basically the same as my setup. Where is your coolant line going that runs next to the upper nipple next to the rad hose out of the head there? Just run that to your turbo back behind the head?

I used this on the block, then ran -6 lines to the turbo on both this fitting and the nipple on the intake manifold. With that setup it just goes up hill from the block to the turbo to the intake manifold nipple.

I need to take a picture of this and many other things and start a dang picture thread already.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

^^^ Are you talking about my oil feed line that runs next to my coolant return? I have a thread going on NRR about my -4 coolant hoses. http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=4393
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Where is your power steering located and what did you use to relocate it?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

jholman05

Post by jholman05 »

I see your problem now that you have posted a picture of your bay and I can see how your turbo is mounted (in my head I was still picturing a T2 style setup like mine)

Either way where is this line going? This is the one I have my coolant returning into after the turbo. It runs pretty level with a slight up hill slope from the turbo to the neck there. I'll try to get some pictures of my setup whenever I get the engine back from the machine shop.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

I'm thinking about relocating mine here, shouldn't be too hard with a steel plate.
Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

Got the engine started last night.... I ran it without coolant for 2-3 min's to get some heat into. It was pretty uneventful.

Compression was 150psi before starting & 175-180psi after running it. I excpeted a little more cranking pressure then that but all the cylinders are even. & i'm sure it will get better once I run the engine a little longer. I've got my JWT 272's (224* deg's duration @ .050") installed 5* adv int, & the ex is 2.5 deg adv. I excpect more cranking compression when I switch to the smaller 240-248 cams that i'm planning to run.

I've got my intake valves at .010-.012" cold & the exhaust is @ .012-.013 cold. I've never run them that tight before. I usually run them at .013-.014 int, & .014-.015 ex... I'm going to re-check th valves tonight & probably loosen up the ex to atleast .013". Any recommendations?
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

Are worried about shim/cam wear or is it that you want less duration out of the 272's? I've got a few extra cams lying around...

Jason M
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jason M »

wannabethestig wrote:Are worried about shim/cam wear or is it that you want less duration out of the 272's? I've got a few extra cams lying around...
I'm worried about running them tighter then oem spec, and burning an ex valve. also worried about the extra duration a little. I'm going to swap in my 240/248 oem cam combo to get baseline numbers with. I'm working on degreeing them tonight.

A 248/248 combo would be a pretty cool setup, as long as I can get the intake valve opening & closing at the correct times with my jwt cam gears. That combo should not loose as much bottom end/midrange that most people see when they basically just "throw the cams in".

I'll post up my baseline specs after I finalize my setup.
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

So your current lsa is around 116???

According to pdm racing... the stock 248 has 215 duration @.050" and .367" of lift when shimmed per the fsm. Looking back at the spreadsheet linked below, the stock 248s are really close to the bc 264s.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... 3ekE#gid=0