S14wayz 98 Kouki Build...A Sad End :(

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Gotenks64
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: S14wayz 98 500-600hp Build

Post by Gotenks64 »

I got that same dolley lol from an olllld aunts house haha. I need to learn how to weld before I can do that:(
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Gotenks64 wrote:I got that same dolley lol from an olllld aunts house haha. I need to learn how to weld before I can do that:(
haha thats funny, it should work out pretty well hopefully I just need something compact and not too heavy so I can roll it into the truck easily. MIG welding is super easy once you get the hang of it, what makes it hard is welding in tight spots where a TIG would be more suitable. Just getting the setup was a pain and really pretty expensive in the end :( it's worth it though!
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
Theo23
240sx Wannabe

Post by Theo23 »

Great build man!!

Similar internals as my Kouki. Other than the beautiful beige leather, thats about where the similarities end :)

Keep up the great work!

Almost forgot, do you guys have to do smog tests on the east coast? I think I read something in your thread about the resistor for the EGR. I'll be doing the same due to etesting here in Ontario. Hopefully that whole scam will be scrapped man..
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Theo23 wrote:Great build man!!

Similar internals as my Kouki. Other than the beautiful beige leather, thats about where the similarities end :)

Keep up the great work!

Almost forgot, do you guys have to do smog tests on the east coast? I think I read something in your thread about the resistor for the EGR. I'll be doing the same due to etesting here in Ontario. Hopefully that whole scam will be scrapped man..
Thanks bro! Luckily for us in bc there abolishing the aircare so this year there will be no more smog tests. Yeah you can wire in a resistor to trick the ecu and not throw a code. Im stoked now I dont have to keep swapping in the cat and all that other crap in and blow oil all I wany :D
My S14 Build Thread
Theo23
240sx Wannabe

Post by Theo23 »

Nice, I'm definitely jealous of the testing being junked, hoping Ontario will follow suit!

Keep up the good work, and swing by my thread if you get a chance, Its in KA-T tech basic.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Trying to get this thing to run. Got it started for about 30 seconds then just bogs down. I only have the exhaust manifold hooked up nothing more in terms of exhaust so it sounds really dog. It keeps bogging down and pull the plugs there covered in fuel. I have a s13 exhaust cam on the intake side and threw it a few teeth back and rechecked timing and I'm all good in that category. Could not having the rest of the exhaust hooked up / that sensor after the cat make it run super rough and bog down like this? I also just stabbed the dist back in and just put it in whatever position cause I had no marks. heres a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECvIt9i ... Xg&index=1
My S14 Build Thread
Theo23
240sx Wannabe

Re: S14wayz 98 500-600hp Build Update: Startup vid need help

Post by Theo23 »

The second O2 sensor behind the cat will not change a single thing if its screwed in or not. I have mine plugged in but dangling/taped to something so I don't throw CELs.
Did you check for vacuum leaks?
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

To me it sounds like the timing is off - do you have a light to check?

Could be mechanical timing too if one of your chains is off a tooth somewhere :/

Definitely confirm no vacuum leaks
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Are you on stock injectors,ECU, and MAF? Sounds like timing to me as well.
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Okay good to know about the second O2 sensor, Theo. Airman, I do not have a timing light but I will get one, I'm pretty positive that my mechanical timing is good, unless it jumped a tooth or so when I was turning it over by hand because I reused the tensioner and recall there being a little slack in the bottom chain because the spring in the tensioner was obviously old. Gotken, yeah stock ecu and stock injectors + MAF, It was pretty much a stock rebuild to get this thing moved so we can pour a concrete pad.

I also had no radiator hooked up, so if the ECU is trying to communicate with the coolant temp sensor or something could it run crappy? I am pretty sure theirs no vacuum leaks but this s14 motor had a billion emission related tubes attached to the mani so I may have missed one. I did upgrade to a z32 fuel rail but doubt that would affect anything. I'm going to hook everything up properly this weekend and give it another shot and report back. Thanks for the advice fellas!
My S14 Build Thread
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Oh forgot to mention that I think when I took that video I had forgotten to attach the breather on the valve cover to the air intake and I didn't even have the air intake put on. So that obviously lead to a massive vacuum leak.
My S14 Build Thread
Theo23
240sx Wannabe

Post by Theo23 »

If you know someone with a boost leak tester, get that and find your leaks. If you can't find one, make one, you're handy and its easy, just google it!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Lack of coolant/radiator would not affect coolant temp sensor, for startup anyway. A breather from the valve cover to the air intake - this shouldn't be related to a vacuum leak, which part of the intake?

Definitely get a timing light though :)
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

^yea I'm going to pick one up this weekend!

k so I'm pretty retarded and had the intake gasket on backwards, hence the coolant pouring out due to no gasket there lol. Flipped it around and put the manifold back on. If I slam the distributor clockwise to the furthest position I can get it to run the longest. I swear I need to adjust the TPS or something I don't think its reading properly if I put the foot to the floor in the car it'll go up to like 1k rpm max and sound like its bogging. If I go in the bay and turn the throttle manually it picks up and gets into some higher rpm. It also jumps around when I keep it at a certain idle which I heard is a common problem with TPS. At one point the car sounded completely and perfectly in time and no backfiring or anything then 2 seconds later dogging it.
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

If you have to run the distributor at an extreme angle for it to run, are you sure it isn't a tooth off?
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

airman wrote:If you have to run the distributor at an extreme angle for it to run, are you sure it isn't a tooth off?
Didn't think of it that way, but that makes complete sense now. I think I must be off a tooth on the upper timing from when I put that s13 exh cam in? Im gonna take the front cover off today after school and see whatsup!
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Yep, take the upper cover off and take a picture of the cams at top dead center. Also make sure we can see the alignment marks on the gears to see where they are. Likely the marks on the chains will not be aligned, but we can judge based off where the gears/cam lobes are.

For the distributor though, you can take it out and stab it rotated a tooth. At top dead center, your spark rotor should be facing pretty much horizontal to the ground. Take off your cap and show us where your rotor lays at top dead center.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

So I did all of that took pics then fired it up and it turned over right away and ran smooth as ever!! I think I had dist timing messed up and needed one more tooth on the left cam, cams both point where they should now :D Idle is super smooth quite noisy on the top end but I figured that's a lot to do with the oil I had some old 5w20 laying around that I used. Valve tolerance is probably off too since I put a different cam in. Now I need to figure out this blown suspension situation and will be able to drive it a bit before new ecu is here.
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Heck yeah, you're making progress :) Keep it up amigo
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

airman wrote:Heck yeah, you're making progress :) Keep it up amigo
thanks my bro, with the help of you gentlemen it was quick work :) So going to order MSPnp2 soon and get that setup with my n/a motor. I'll play with that to build some confidence with the platform, at least enough to trust myself to get it to start and run decently without causing any major problems so that I can get it professionally dyno tuned at a shop.

I'm still torn on turbo choice...either this Holset H1C, which would force me to go twinscroll manifold, or drop the cash on a precision 6262 and a DOC top mount manifold. I wonder if I ported the H1C twinscroll housing so that I could run a open scroll manifold without having a bunch of turbulence. I feel like if I drop a bunch of cash on a twin scroll mani im forced to buy twin scroll turbos from then on! I need to be budget friendly too now, I want this thing boosted by this summer!
My S14 Build Thread
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Nice build pimp.

When do you think it will be fired up?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

runs smooth N/A now just ordered more parts for the turbo setup. Here's a video with isis straight pipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9lZS1A4agg
My S14 Build Thread
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

still getting parts together going to be building the long block for turbo setup within the next month. Not sure what injectors I want to go with have been wanting 1000cc ID's but not sure anymore.

Haven't been up to much lately weathers starting to turn here so engine building inside will soon commence :) New struts are ready to be picked up so cya later blown stock suspension. Ordered a JDM rear bumper as well and gonna order valences soon to go with it.

I think I may try and fabricate my own fender flares, like the flares that elmer has on his blue s14 if you guys have seen them...I really dig them. Im not huge on overfenders but i like the wide look you get from these flares.

On that topic this is the look I'm pretty much going for...if anyone knows what flares these are I can't really find them anywhere. I can find the aero but not the actual fenders/flares they seem to be sold seperate or something under a different name. I know the BN blister kit kinda runs the same look... Here's the look I want to go for though:

I want to do the same fenders/front bumper as those with JDM rear bumper and valences then a low key side skirt.

In other news started stripping the compressor housing. Going to polish the aluminum housing.

Needed to fix an exhaust leak

last week before school this thing came into the shop, 2jz are so beautiful :(

My S14 Build Thread
S14wayz

Re: S14wayz 98 Kouki Build

Post by S14wayz »

Hey guys been awhile since I last was on here but haven't forgotten :) Schools been super busy and other stuff has taken up all my time unfortunately. Debating selling the head components so I got enough money so I can get this thing running for the summer possibly. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good updates for once soon!

got some megan gauges and did some more polishing on the intake housing last night, its friggen hard with the tools I have got along way togo still

hope you guys are doing good looking forward to thumbing through some threads and checking out your guys progress since I last was on!!
My S14 Build Thread
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

some other stuff I've been working on cause its so cold outside. Everything is pretty much exactly to scale +- 0.5mm about. Planning to do a full motor assembly got lots more models just no pics yet

look familiar??

My S14 Build Thread
zaboomafoo1212
NooB

Post by zaboomafoo1212 »

Great build thread! Looking forward to seeing more progress. I'm jealous a thow much you've done to yours already. I wish I had my car with me at school so I could do this too. Looking forward to the updates.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

So this build unfortunately came to an end recently.

Someone decided to not stop at an intersection and this was the result. The car sadly got written off for scrap by the insurance. I decided to just start selling all the parts that I have accumulated over the years because I really don't have the time or money at the moment to think about getting another car (plus I'll never find one in the condition this was in)

Its a shame :(
My S14 Build Thread
adamky
SuperMod

Re: S14wayz 98 Kouki Build...A Sad End :(

Post by adamky »

Awe, that sucks man.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

At least you are safe...
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

supakat wrote:At least you are safe...
Yeah that is the important thing! Cars can be replaced. Two more years of school then I will be able to begin a solid build!
My S14 Build Thread