CMJ S13 (Lots of pics!)

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

CMJ S13 (Lots of pics!)

Post by cmj »

Here's a little background:

Bought an 89ish roast beef colored S13.. It came running with emotor coil overs, strong rb20, and some pvc intercooler piping.

I threw some SportMAXX wheels on it, and slid around for a while.

Put a little money into it.. Had Neukin put in the nicest cage i've ever seen.

Tried to paint it a pretty metallic green.. Paint got screwed up.

Took some artsy pictures of it, so it at least looked good on the internet (courtesy of Greg Scharton)

Had to sell it due to money stuff, and going back to school.

So I take two years off of drifting and hanging with those guys.. Went to an event in St. Louis a couple months ago and got hooked pretty bad again.

Picked up a basket case.. Super clean car, in primer, needed a head installed and a bunch of other stuff. THe plan was to go 2jz, but I've never done a KA-T so I'll play with that for a while.

Slapped a head on it

The motor is a fresh factory rebuild from a guy I trust.. So i'm going to put some cheap turbo stuff on it to get it going.. That's in the works now.. Car isn't that pretty, but it will get there soon.

Ordered up some wheels.. Varrstoen 2.2.1. 18x9.5+12. I could only get them in black, and we don't do black wheels in the midwest.. So I painted them up today.

This is where it sits right now. I'm heading to the garage to bolt up the turbo and start plumbing stuff.

The car will be painted the whitest single stage white I can find..

I'm hoping to have it ready and solid (6psi/SAFC) for a fun event here in Indy on July 20th. I'll try and document this stuff as I go.
Last edited by cmj on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Nice ride dude. Specs on rims? I'm not sure if its just me but are they different sizes in diameter?
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Kamilitaryman wrote:Nice ride dude. Specs on rims? I'm not sure if its just me but are they different sizes in diameter?
They're all 18x9.5+12.. I'm not sure about running the 18's up front. Once the car is painted and I can start doing some fitting, i'll decide if I will switch to 17's and use the 18's as drift spares.

--

Right before I left, some new tires showed up.. I've had good luck with Federals, and got a good deal on 4 matching tires.. I picked 225/40/18 so I can get the car sitting where I want it.. I will burn off the rears and move up to 245's for the next set.

I got the turbo bolted up and the placement is awesome. Plenty of room between the BMC to fit my CSPORT heat shield.

The downpipe TOTALLY sucked.. It was trying to go through the steering shaft. I had another 5-bolt plate with 2.5" vband, so I bolted that up, and welded the v-band ring to the 5-bolt plate from the downpipe.. PERFECT!

I'll have some better pictures of the downpipe fitment on Thursday.

I also installed my boost/wideband/oil pressure gauges and a sandwich plate for the oil pressure sending unit and oil feed line. I'm waiting on a right angle -4AN fitting to finish the feed line.

Welded the bung to the oil pan as well.. Need to drill it out, and clean it up.
After that, the turbo is plumbed for fluid, and I can start figuring out intercooler stuff.

Hopefully I'll have her started up Thursday and I can start checking for leaks and stuff.. Then on to some intercooler piping!
jholman05
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jholman05 »

Old car had a good look to it, I'm sure this one will end up the same.

Seems like you live close? I'm from down around cincinnati, but I still live in Indiana.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

F*uck yeah thats that sh/it i do like! too funny yo club loose rules, NO BLACK WHEELS!!!!

you stray away from the 595s yet? east coast been having some good luck with kenda's but gotta get em straight from the factory in OH. and the west coast guys have been loving achillies. theres none in the us for another month, but in my sizes bulk shipped (20) theyre all of $66 each. i also just found these milestars for 56 picked up local and a solid drift blog review on em. yet to try, but im interseted in any thing else youve tried.

gotta say i ditched the 18s for 17s and am not going back! love no scrounging for tires and or over paying. sucks cuz s14s are begging for 18s but whatever. whats your interest in going to 245s? only skid cars i see roud here with that width are 500whp+. i got about 375whp to 225s and could hook second all day if i wanted.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

jholman05 wrote:Old car had a good look to it, I'm sure this one will end up the same.

Seems like you live close? I'm from down around cincinnati, but I still live in Indiana.
I'm just south of Indianapolis.. The last car had a good stance to it.. I really liked the car, but was pretty turned off after the paint came out how it did. This new car is going to be a bit better, and has my first set of coilovers on it (KTS from SPL) so I'm excited to have some nice suspension again.
sdaigle240 wrote: F*uck yeah thats that sh/it i do like! too funny yo club loose rules, NO BLACK WHEELS!!!!

you stray away from the 595s yet? east coast been having some good luck with kenda's but gotta get em straight from the factory in OH. and the west coast guys have been loving achillies. theres none in the us for another month, but in my sizes bulk shipped (20) theyre all of $66 each. i also just found these milestars for 56 picked up local and a solid drift blog review on em. yet to try, but im interseted in any thing else youve tried.
The 595's have always worked for my power level (220-230hp) so I stuck with them for this new car (i'm looking at making the same power for now).. I can usually get a whole event out of one set of tires.The Midwest has the Kenda Driver program, but I haven't driven in 2 years so i'm not looking to take advantage of that.. I'm REALLY excited to try some Achilles.. I hear those things last forever and are super grippy.. Two things that don't go together.

Welp.. This IS a picture forum.. I'm off to go mount and balance some tires.. I decided to do my fitment BEFORE paint in case I need to do any pulling.

Pretty sweet for a daily!
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

gotta have that wagon! pimpin a 00 outback in the stable me self. never heard of that kenda program but after looking, if you buy 20 tires at once (not bad just split with the homies) it works out to the same price. still 80$ aint exactly cheap. so pumped for 65$ achillies.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Well I got about 90% of the work I wanted to get done today.. Plus another 20% of some other stuff, so I guess I was pretty productive.

I got my feed line fitting in place, and it's still a bit too tight.. Good thing I live down the road from Earls in Indianapolis, so I'm going to have them make me up a new feed line to go around the back of the motor.

Here is the rough draft of my downpipe setup.. I need to put it on the belt sander to clean it up, but the fitment is EXCELLENT.

^^ I'm kinda bummed about the cheap flange with the cutout.. I'm going to have to replace that when I get some good gaskets to put on this thing.

I was planning on picking up the Powered by Max Highmount intercooler setup, but I was not looking forward to paying $400 for the kit.. It just so happens my speedshop had a perfect intercooler to make my own. I haven't decided if I'm going to run 90' couplers off the in/oulet, or have aluminum 90's welded on.. But for $65, whatever I do is much better than the PBM kit.

Since I couldn't continue with motor stuff (lack of proper feed line, and no 2.5" intercooler piping) I decided to swap to 5 lug and mount up my wheels.. I only got to the front, but I'm glad I decided to go with 18's.. They're gonna look good!

I'm planning on starting it up and doing some leak checking and other stuff Saturday.. I'm waiting on a consult cable to make sure the motor is doing what it should.. Next up is intercooler piping, and boost/tuning!
kacam24det
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kacam24det »

I like the intercooler placement stealthy
Cam
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

I got a few things done today..

Finished all the liquid plumbing for the turbo, and checked for leaks. Put the front of the car down to check out where the wheels will sit.

The car will settle a bit, and i'm going to go about 0.5" lower.

I got the intake and maf setup done.. Not too difficult.

I also mocked up the cold side intercooler piping.. It should get welded one day this week.

Once I clock the compressor housing, the hotside pipe will be a 90' coupler off the compressor, straight pipe, and a 90' off the intercooler.. Super simple!

Once the intercooler piping is done, all that's left is to fab up the waste gate dump, and do boost/vacuum line stuff. This nickel and dime stuff is starting to get frustrating, but it should be on the road in a week or so (well, ready for paint at least!)
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

The car is pretty much put together for now. It runs and boosts, I haven't gotten a chance to get into it more than a quick jaunt up to 6psi.. I'll do some tuning and street pulls (in the country) this Saturday.

Pretty short wastegate line.. This will be switched over to AN when the TIal goes on.

Intercooler piping is no longer than 16" for both sides.. I'm pretty happy with how this setup turned out.

I was almost POSITIVE that I wasn't going to be able to use the headlight motors, but a little grinding and good clamp placement let it all bolt right back up.. SUPER PUMPED about that.

^^ I have some P-clamps that will hold that wire loom up to the bottom mounts on the intercooler, so that will clean up nice.

Here she is.. Greasy handprints and all.. Now I just need to find a place to paint her, and start doing clean up and upgrades!

cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: CMJ S13

Post by cmj »

Finally put some time in on this thing.. It's been STUPID hot in the Midwest the last couple weeks so I haven't done anything... Got paint stuff together and knocked that out today. I'm real happy with how it turned out.

Washed and taped up:

Rear shot:

Some other shots:

*TECH ISSUE*

The motor timing was way off when I got the car.. I didn't pull the bottom cover, just counted links and timed the upper. The car builds boost and seems to run great, but it is VERY low on power.. Hit's 8 lbs. but doesn't feel strong.. I'm also not pulling as much fuel as I calculate I should with the 370cc injectors.. I'm guessing the lower timing chain is off a tooth retarded, does that seem plausible?

Thanks for checking it out so far!
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: CMJ S13 (Now Painted!)

Post by AFKOUKI »

white...best color ever
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Got the car back to my house and started putting seals and glass back in it. I'm liking it so far, except that fact that white and stock body look like doo doo.. I need to get some fiberglass on her asap!

Dont mind the lack of body work.. This is a 240sx, it's dumb to spend time and money on these things!

wtfarpus
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by wtfarpus »

car looks good man. who's other hatch in that shop with the overfenders?
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

wtfarpus wrote:car looks good man. who's other hatch in that shop with the overfenders?
That is my buddy Derek's car.. It's stock SR with some cool parts. It will be painted an electron blue color.

Here's a better pic:

In other news, My clutch was slipping pretty bad, and I've never played with KA cars, so I decided to piece together a new clutch kit (you guys call it white bunny?) from mine and a buddies old transmission piles. We came up with a SouthBend Kevlar/Organic clutch disk for an RB20, the RB20 factory pressure plate, and an L28ET Flywheel. Clutch feels great, and no more slipping.

Here's some pics because it's a picture thread

flip240

Re: CMJ S13 (White Bunny!)

Post by flip240 »

Nice car, and welcome to the forums!

I thought this was the original White Bunny from Fresh Alloy, haha
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
wtfarpus

Post by wtfarpus »

cmj wrote:
wtfarpus wrote:car looks good man. who's other hatch in that shop with the overfenders?
That is my buddy Derek's car.. It's stock SR with some cool parts. It will be painted an electron blue color.

Here's a better pic:

nice, that blue is going to look amazing.
wtfarpus

Post by wtfarpus »

post pictures of it when it is painted? :D
nelson240sx

Post by nelson240sx »

the car is looking good. Remember I have dibs on the wideband and the vafc when you make the switch to the squirt ; )
KA24E-T 06/06 to 10/09 (T25 then H1C Holset) - sold
KA24DE-T 12/09 to 10/11 (T4/TO4E) - sold
KA24DE-T 11/14 to 8/15 (T4/TO4S BB) - sold
SR20DE-T exo-car build 06/13 to 3/16 (EFR6758)
^ now VH45DE-T 6/16 to 10/21 (Billet T04S BB)
^now KA24DE-T 1/22 to current (EFR 7163)
Miata 1.8 turbo 9/15 to 3/17 (VF39) - sold
KA24DE-T build 8/17 to 4/19 (EFR6758) - sold
12.6:1 Turbo KA-T 4/19 to 7/21 (EFR7163) - sold
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

nelson240sx wrote:the car is looking good. Remember I have dibs on the wideband and the vafc when you make the switch to the squirt ; )
Yessir. I'll be starting the megasquirt within the month most likely.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Isis exhaust arrived last Thursday.. I didn't have enough time to get a midpipe fabbed up before the event Saturday

Cleaned up the car and threw on a lip I got from a friend.. Not sure what it goes for, but a little cutting and zipties fit it up nicely.

The event on Saturday was a blast.. I'm pretty sure the car is putting down right at 190hp which was the exact power I needed to link the course.. NEVER LIFT!

Threw on the sticky tires on my good wheels towards the middle of the day. I didn't change my line or throttle, and came in to the carousel way hot.. crunched the rear end and broke a wheel, but kept thrashing!

In all the car handled excellent, and I had a blast! Next time out I'll have about a hundred more horsepower, and a couple more sets of tires. I'm super stoked that I drove to the event, beat the piss out of the car, and was able to drive home.. That's the whole point of this project.

I'll try and find some videos for ya..
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: CMJ S13 (First Event!)

Post by cmj »

Here's a video of me on the dumpster tires. These were Hankook 225/40/18.. They were super greasy and I couldn't find ANY speed with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBvjtZG5EpY

Here's the farewell salute burnout fireworks show to Driftindy co-founder Edgar.. He's moving to Miami and stepping back from DI..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prj_ywy9PK0
boosted93

Post by boosted93 »

Damn man your car turned out great!!

Sucks you wrecked it.. makes me double think on gettin a newer s14 just to drift.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

I don't consider it wrecked. Minor body work is part of maintenance for me haha. I just unbolted the bumper and borrowed some wheels to go back out!

I'm convinced that the T3/T04E .63/.50 china charger is useless at 7lbs. I'm gonna clean up the car and work on the exhaust, then next month is megasquirt, modified injectors and 15lbs. I think that will put me around 250hp.
boosted93 wrote:Damn man your car turned out great!!

Sucks you wrecked it.. makes me double think on gettin a newer s14 just to drift.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: CMJ S13 (Cleaning up Carnage)

Post by cmj »

After realizing that the factory bumper support weighs a million pounds, and the fact that I had tweaked it pretty good, I decided to get rid of it. In the near future I will have a rear bash bar made and finally get that rad jacking point I've always dreamt of.

Here's how I did it.. Pretty simple, and i'm sure a thousand other people have done this as well.

Here's another picture of the damage, plus a peak at the Isis exhaust that i've been working on today.

Another shot of the exhaust:

In non picture related news, I ordered a set of Turboholics 264/264 cams, 800cc 300zx injectors, and Wiseco 9.0:1 (.5mm over) pistons with Manley Rods.

Megasquirt progress will commence very shortly on the stock motor, once I get everything top notch, I'll start building the other setup.. I'm looking for 350hp DEAD RELIABLE horsepowers that will live forever and let me spend time and money on making the car pretty instead of keeping it running.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: CMJ S13 (A little fiberglass)

Post by cmj »

I've got the megasquirt harness mocked up and installed.. Battling a weak spark issue but everything is functional.

Also threw one some fiberglass and cleaned her up from the last battle.. I spraypainted the skirts and bumper, they're a bit brighter than the rest of the car but I like where it's going so far.. Gonna keep it simple until she gets retired to full time track car status.

cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: CMJ S13 (Megasquirt!)

Post by cmj »

I've spent the last couple of weeks perfecting my Megasquirt installation. I acquired MS1/E with 12' harness from a friend for a super deal. He was frustrated and using it as a paperweight, so I swooped it and spent a month researching and planning. It payed off and minus a couple minor snags, the car started right up and idled great. I spent the $60 and the time to set up a solid AFR and VE table to start with, and VE Analyze Live has been excellent about the rest.

Here's some pictures.. Car pulls great and is still very conservatively tuned.

Immediate plans are to weld in a glasspack, since the ISIS exhaust is a little too loud for crusing, weld in an aluminum bung for the IAT sensor, and try to remedy the power steering leak.

I have modified knuckles and extended lower control arms to go on, but need to wait until I can buy some new ball joints..

Also going to try and make the trip down to Nashville, TN in a couple weeks for Import Alliance if any of you KA-T guys are on the way I'd like to make a trip out of it.
nelson240sx

Re: CMJ S13 (Megasquirt!)

Post by nelson240sx »

Lmk if you need any small stuff welded..... Aluminum or steel. I can do it at work for you.
KA24E-T 06/06 to 10/09 (T25 then H1C Holset) - sold
KA24DE-T 12/09 to 10/11 (T4/TO4E) - sold
KA24DE-T 11/14 to 8/15 (T4/TO4S BB) - sold
SR20DE-T exo-car build 06/13 to 3/16 (EFR6758)
^ now VH45DE-T 6/16 to 10/21 (Billet T04S BB)
^now KA24DE-T 1/22 to current (EFR 7163)
Miata 1.8 turbo 9/15 to 3/17 (VF39) - sold
KA24DE-T build 8/17 to 4/19 (EFR6758) - sold
12.6:1 Turbo KA-T 4/19 to 7/21 (EFR7163) - sold
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: CMJ S13 (Winter Rebuild!)

Post by cmj »

So some stuff has been happening. I haven't had a bunch of money to put into the car, so it's slow but steady!. I finally installed my extended lower control arms and modified knuckles. The steering angle is amazing and the LCA's are extended 20mm for a wider track while maintaining camber.

I finished the suspension stuff up, took the car to spray her down, and started tearing it down.

This is where she sits right now.. Pulled the motor out and will be cleaning, prepping, and painting the bay. I'm also rewiring the chassis to get rid of all the excess and making it a much simpler car to troubleshoot.

The motor isn't changing much for next season, i'm just going to re-gasket and clean up everything. The goal is to have everything done correct and clean so the car will be rock solid, or at least easy to diagnose any issues for next drift season.