Diesel240's Kaizen S13 Build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Diesel240's Kaizen S13 Build

Post by diesel240 »

Whats up KA-T.org? Forum kicks ass and I'm finally ready to start contributing!

I've wanted an S13 since oh about 8th grade, nine or so years ago. Finally about a year ago I was able to get the funds together and get the cleanest S13 I could find 132,xxx miles SOHC automatic from South Dakota, it had two previous owners and was a dream come true.
ImageImageImage
S13 HY35 - under construction
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Diesel240's Kaizen S13 Build

Post by S14wayz »

Saw your sig HY35, good look! Paint looks fresh too.
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

This will be a little fast forward to present day. About two months after buying the car the engine developed a ticking noise and I didnt care to find out what it was. I ended up finding a complete set up from one of the local drifters. DOHC manual that had been rebuilt with 90mm wiseco's, forged rods, HY35 turbo, Haltech Sprint 500, AEM fuel rail and FPR yada yada yada.

Here is a pic of the previous owners set up.

So I picked that up and decided to go to town on the manual conversion and DOHC swap. It was my first motor swap but it went super smooth with the Haltech wiring harness, lots of blood sweat and beer, and two engineers.

The set up once I got it home
ImageImage

Clearing out the engine bay almost felt like a sin, never have I worked on a car with so many untouched bolts.
ImageImage

Props to the help

Now the easy part is done

After a little elbow grease

Nothing quite like dropping a motor in the middle of a Minnesota winter
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

S14wayz, thanks for the comments. Stay tuned there is lots more to come! I hope I can get it back on the road before winter
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

I got in to a little heat wrap to try to keep the brake master from getting too hot. It definitely helps I would suggest it to anyone battling temperatures under the hood.

The Beast!

And after battling the wiring monster the first mock up of the intercooler and majority of parts.

I decided I didn't like having the filter smashed against my spark plug wires right onto the turbo so I picked up some 4" 70 degree piping off of ebay. After some cutting and test fitting presto!

Well after getting it all put together I tried turning it over, nothing WTF? tried it again nothing. Double check everything and oh, plug in the ECU! Who would have thought that you would need that. With the ECU plugged in it fired up the first time! The previous owner had it tuned at a local shop DB Performance for about 16psi and mid 300's for horsepower is what I was told. I checked out the tune and as far as I could tell it looked like it had been tuned, lots of 3D graphs that meant absolutely nothing to me.

Trying to decide if I go shark nose which was already cut for an intercooler or cut up the minty fresh piggy.

I decided to stay with the pig nose! So sexy
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Alright we are getting closer to present day. Once the roads cleared and the salt had washed off the roads I started driving it daily. I ran into a few hiccups with the alternator dying and causing the car to run super lean. I did a few boost leak tests and all seemed to be well. The car was a blast it was like a dream, I couldn't believe that I put it together!

I picked up some Stern Intertouring 3 piece rims, 17x8's. The plan is to roast these tires off as they are just mediocre and have some camber wear. Pull the rims apart add an extra inch or so front lip and I should have 17X9's with an offset right around 22. Throw some 245 direzza's on and see how she grips.

I then started to prep for Proving Grounds up in Brainerd, MN. I started out by trying to mod the existing S13 seats using a write up that I think is on NICO. I was sick of my back hurting after 30 minutes of driving and wanted to get a little more bolster. This mod actually made a significant difference. I removed the top spring and pulled the bolsters in to get a little bit more hug. Be careful if you do this mod! I ended up ripping the bolts out of the metal that connects the backrest to the base. I was driving one day and my seat just started reclining, not good. So I swapped backrests and picked up an s14 passenger seat for cheap, now I don't have to hear people bi*ch about the seats every time they get in the car.

The next thing I did for track prep was pick up some Q45 front calipers and rotors. Since I plan on staying four lug I got the rotors redrilled. Add a little high temp red paint and it looks pretty damn good. Here is a size comparison.

These were definitely a worthwhile mod, I ran stock pads front and rear on Brainerds road course. The brakes were easy to modulate, I could get them to lock, running street tires, but it was very easy to recover. I ran into no overheating issues or glazing but in the future I would definitely run some track pads to get a little more bite and as my skills increase.

I was able to run 2 20min HPDE sessions up at Brainerd and had a blast even though they were in the wet. I was half way through the 3rd when it dried up and I was finally able to put the power down and.... I catastrophically overheated, lesson learned watch your gauges on the track. I suspect that the HG was blown when I bought the motor, the exhaust always felt moist and I had white smoke on decel. I hauled the car back home and here is the damage.

ImageImageImage
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Alright now we are pretty much up to date. Here is where the car sits today.

With the head being as f-ed as it is I picked up a new block for $75 out of an s14, I now remember why I stayed KA and didn't go SR. The previous owner wasn't sure what happened to it but said something got messed up with timing. This is how you haul a motor when you don't own a truck.
ImageImage

A convertible doing truck stuff. The block seems to never have been rebuilt and in pretty good condition just what I wanted. I pulled it all apart and found the issue. The lower cam sprocket broke off a tooth.

All of the bearings look great on this block except for the mains and the crank is a little scored. The block and head will be going to the shop soon to get hot tanked, honed and inspected.

A few thoughts until the next time. Piston preferences anyone? I'm looking to eventually get all I can out of the HY35, about 22psi and 400+hp. I was thinking Wiseco 8.8:1 or 8:1? Also is there anything else I should have done while it's at the machine shop?

I am also looking at doing a manual rack conversion, the right way, removing the valve in the rack and greasing it up. Running one belt for water pump and Alt. with the alternator mounted using the SOHC brackets and the SOHC water neck. I'm sick of fluid all over the engine bay once it gets hot. Does anyone have experience with this mod?
arob987

Post by arob987 »

Good find on that clean looking car. Just about all the pistons are good mainly personal preference.Ive been running wiseco's for around 5 years with no problems i'm running 9:1 cr.ran 18psi on a 57 trim on 93 street tune by me.now planning 30-35 psi on a 6266 but e85. I personally wouldn't go 8:x cr unless it was a high 8:x, I like to have a lil peppyness when not in boost also (most street driving when obeying traffic laws lol) but welcome to the site and good luck on the build.
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Awesome, I think I am spot on with the 8.8:1 compression ratio then, maybe even 9:1 as long as I get a solid tune. Now i just gotta check out the different price points for the major brands. I still may be able to use my old 90mm Wiseco's I need to pull them and check their condition though and I am not sure if I want to bore the fresh block out to 90mm right away.
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Well I got block #3 and both of the heads to the machine shop. I'm gunna have everything inspected, cleaned and prepped then ill start picking up parts for it. Should be a pretty quick turn around.Image

I also pulled block #2 and the tranny today, I've got lots of parts to cannibalize off of it still.

diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

I had a few minutes tonight so I decided to pull one of the pistons. The good news is the rods should still be good, but the pistons didn't fare as well.

I know you shouldn't reuse head studs but what about ARP main studs and the eagle rod studs? Both shouldn't have more than 3,000 miles on them.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Too bad about the pistons, the scuffing on all top corners indicates it got hot (duh) or the bore was undersized

ARP head/main studs/rod bolts can be reused indefinitely... the stock hardware is torque to yield unlike the ARP hardware.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Awesome thanks for the info about the ARP studs, is that the same with the ARP head studs? Yeah everything got real hot, I'm looking into some gauges that alert you when they pass a set temperature because clearly I don't like to look at gauges while driving. I think the majority of damage to the pistons was caused by the aluminum chunks from the head passing by the pistons to the oil pan. I found some pretty decent sized chunks of aluminum in the oil strainer.
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

I've got a set of turboholics 264 cams coming too! I should have them on Monday!
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Turboholic cams came in and look good, I can't wait to see the gains everyone was talking about. I've decided to run some wiseco 9:1 in my new block reusing the old eagle rods and some new clevite bearings. I pulled the rest of the pistons out of the block today. In order furthest to the right is from the furthest forward cylinder.
Looks like the pistons farthest from the FPR were the ones that got it the worst. So in theory the highest fuel pressure would be the closest to the FPR correct? Could the blown head gasket and eventual head destruction have been caused by detonation due to a lean condition in these cylinders? Not enough fuel pressure? All the injectors were cleaned and flow tested.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Im not surprised at all that the pistons look how they do.

KAs detonate on cylinder #3 before anything.. Its rumor that it is because it receives the most air therefore runs the leanest/hottest.

Your motor looks like it just got hot and the pistons over expanded into the cylinder walls. Detonation will look like tiny chips on the top of the piston.. you might have a few but when it gets bad enough detonation will break or melt pistons and that doesnt seem to be the case

My friend overheated a KA24E and it melted the aluminum around the exhaust valves.. i dont think its too hard to do.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Cool, thanks for the info. So the head studs probably weren't tightened properly then, blew the head gasket and just got real hot in the area the gasket was blown because I was pounding on it at the track with no coolant I'm guessing. Everything else looks really good which is crazy to me, all the bearings and races look great and I don't think I was detonating because I don't have any pitting in the pistons. When rebuilding this new motor should I get a new oil and water pump or how would I inspect them? I know they are fairly new along with all the timing equipment. I spun and wiggled the impeller on the water pump and it spins smooth and has no play in it.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

It doesnt look like you had much crap enter your oiling system, so youre probably okay, just clean everything best you can. Take the screws out of the oil pump so you dont have junk left in there.
Lopin18

Post by Lopin18 »

Check your pms diesel240 either you win or i win :P
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

So the goal of this car is to have it as a daily driver during the summer and be able to drive it at road race events, no trailer queen here. I want to be able to enjoy this car every day that there isn't snow on the ground. I know many people will say AC is essential but where I live it really isn't so for some minor weight savings and money savings instead of getting the DOHC parts I have removed all AC components, today was the last step. This was pretty easy to do, remove glove box components and you see this.
Remove four screws and a little tugging and You will have this black box.
Take it apart pull the innards and you end up with this, no more AC and maybe an extra five pounds removed.
The next mod is going to be depowering the power steering rack. I am sick of my power steering boiling over, it will save some weight, hopefully provide some good road feel and clean up the engine bay. I am going with the flying miata method to convert the rack to a manual one http://flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=14 and converting to a single belt for the alternator and water pump deleting all power steering components using this method. http://zilvia.net/f/chat/215942-last-de ... -rack.html. Hopefully I can get it done before the weekend, I'll post up some pics of the entire procedure. Pistons and bearings are in the mail and will be here Thursday!
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Well lots has happened since my last post. I got some parts in so the machine shop is finally starting on my block but I broke my foot in 2 places with multiple fractures from riding a dirt bike so progress has been a little slow.

I picked up the parts I need to delete the power steering pump and run a single belt. After a little clean and a spray.

I also borrowed my friends welder and got to finishing my nisimo style cross brace that goes between the two tension rod mounts. Strong enough for me to stand and jump on, I think that it will definitely make a difference.

As for parts that I've gotten in I got my set of turboholic cams and the definitely look like they are quality cams, I also got a set of drift freq motor mounts off Zilvia and they are solid! I hope they still feel fairly stock like people say. Also got my wiseco pistons in with the set of clevite bearings.

Lastly I got around to working on some cooling in hopes of keeping my temps down next time around. I pulled the pig nose vents and cut the slits out, probably won't do too much but I figured what the hell. I also made some ducting that goes from my lip to the lower radiator support. Kinda tough to see but you can make it out between my bent up intercooler and rad support.

Should keep all the air that comes through the intercooler going into my radiator which I will be upgrading. I'm thinking about just a cheapo ebay dual pass I haven't heard anything bad about them so we will give it a go.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Ive been using an ebay dual core radiator and efans for some time now with no issues at all.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Sweet, I've been looking at the some with the Mishimoto style shroud with dual E fans not sure they're worth the extra dough though over Altima fans.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Ya Ive heard people have problems with the fans. Some ebay fans don't push/pull enough air, and some give out too quickly. Altima fans are oem, so that speaks for itself as far as reliability. The reason I chose the radiator+fan combo is because the radiator came with the fans and a SHROUD already mounted. The shroud is VERY important in keeping things cool.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

After lots of hopping around the garage on one foot I'm back on two feet again, lots has happened and lots of parts have came in. I ended up going with an ebay radiator, the welds seem to be quality and as far as I can tell it is a quality product.Image

I also picked up an oil cooler/relocation off of ebay, we will see how the hoses hold up... All the fittings seem to thread well though.Image

And glowshift oil temp and water temp gauges with warnings

If you are catching on to the general theme of this build here, don't overheat ever again!!! And if I do and don't know about it I deserve to blow up!
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

I also did the flyin' miata manual rack conversion. I was planning on doing a write up but honestly I got super frustrated halfway through and stopped taking pics. Here are the pics I took, overall it was rather straight forward but took some muscle and trial and error.
I used an 8mm socket instead of specialty tool here.Image

I then removed the preload adjuster

You then have to remove a large nut from the end of the rack, once removed tug on the shaft that runs through the rack and this is what will come out.

You then want to notch the vale in the center, I also removed the two black seals from either end

Grease up all the threads and reassemble an you get this.

Reviews thus far, wow that sucked I don't know if I would do it again. So far turning lock to lock feels very smooth though and we will see if it pays off once I get her back on the road. Topped it off with oem rod ends and poly rack bushings and every steering component has been gone over or refreshed. Can't wait to feel the road!
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Well I am trying to decide if I need new rods or not. My old eagles evidently got pretty hot. My guess is I should just bite the bullet and buy new ones to be safe, but if I can save some dough i would like to. The small ends of the rods feel smooth and are only dis colored no pitting or scraping just the stock cross hatching. Here are the measurements i took in multiple places from both sides and some pictures let me know what you guys think.

Rod 1 20.96, 20.98, 20.96, 20.98, 20.98, 20.98
20.97, 20.98, 20.98, 20.98, 20.98, 20.99. Avg=20.97666mm

Rod 2 20.98, 20.98, 20.98, 20.97, 20.98, 20.98
20.98, 20.97, 20.97, 20.97, 20.98, 20.98 Avg=20.97666mm

Rod 3 20.99, 21.00, 20.99, 20.97, 20.98, 20.98
20.98, 20.98, 21.00, 20.97, 20.97, 20.98 Avg=20.9825mm

Rod 4 20.97, 20.97, 20.98, 20.98, 20.98, 20.99
20.98, 20.99, 20.98, 20.98, 20.97, 20.99 Avg=20.98mm

signals13

Post by signals13 »

Don't they sell larger rings to bore out the centers and re-use the rods?
diesel240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by diesel240 »

Are you talking about an oversized wrist pin and machining out the rod end and the piston? Any more info on that would be great! I ran a quick search and couldn't find oversized wrist pins but i may be searching for the wrong thing.
signals13

Post by signals13 »

Yea I'm actually not sure if it's possible I'm just thinking that it is. Maybe by getting the machine shop to bore them out then measure them out and find thicker pins from another vehicle?