My awful build thread.

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: My awful build thread.

Post by signals13 »

I have been looking into doing the very same thing to get rid of the pcv lines off of the manifold, would make it look a lot cleaner and would make for an easier manifold install. I will probably remove the nipples of the upper mani and get them welded shut along with a couple other things. Here's a link to a pretty cheap catch can alternative.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650649
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Oh sweet, thanks for the link I'll have to look into that. Do you run both hoses to a T then into that little filter ?

Plugged the PCV nips on the intake. Bought a couple feet of hose to run pcv to catch can. Screwed up and bought a 1" hose for the coolant line, I guess it's 3/4", doh. Bought a soldering iron for the wideband/hobbs switch/relays. Teflon taped and tightened fittings on oil filter plate/turbo feed and the one sensor on the front of the intake. I could NOT get the smaller one loose to save my life.

I tried my luck at welding the turbo exhaust housing again after learning you have to preheat it. I'm not fancy so I just used a little propane torch for 3-4 minutes and just went to town filling the hole. Slag is a pita. Let it set for a while and heated it up again, attempted to weld the vband flange on and this is the outcome. I only welded 1-1.5 inches at a time, then switched to the other side for 1-1.5, rinse/repeat.
signals13

Post by signals13 »

That's pretty good work, are you using an arch welder, mig, or tig??
One side goes from pvc to catch can other goes to vacuum source usually off the cold side ic.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Just a cheap mig welder with flux core wire. I'd love to buy a used tig with bells and whistles but I can't afford $1,000+ =(
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Cut the 90* pipe. Beveled the edge of the pipe until it would fit inside the flange. Welded it up and I think the angle is good. Test fit with it connected, here's how she looks. That AC line is bugging the hell out of me though, as you can see it touches. Not sure what to do about that.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Found this ECU wiring diagram, figured it might help others as well as myself for reference.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Wiring from the ZT-2.
At this point I am pretty lost, any help would be greatly appreciated.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

I bought a used ECU with a Nistune daughter board already installed, do I need to re-register the ECU# or change any contact information with Nistune in order to install the software or run the ECU ?
How much are used ECU's with nistune and all the cables to go with it going for these days ? Ballpark average.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

I THINK I figured the wiring out. #4, 6 and 11 are for MAP sensors, so I don't use those. #2,5,8,9 and 12 are either for use of the EGT probe or added user inputs like temp sensors.

ZT-2 pin# - ECU
#1 - #36 Ignition switch
#3 - #2 RPM
#7 - Chassis ground
#10 - #20 Throttle Position Sensor Input
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Now Wiring the MAF and I think the person before me had it wired wrong. He had #2 (chassis ground/orange) and #4 (12v /white) wrapped and heat shrinked together. They weren't soldered or touching wires, but I can only ass-u-me it was wired like that.

signals13

Post by signals13 »

For you're downpipe maybe you can move the line a lil higher and great wrap it or cut and move the v-band 1 inch back?
This link should help with maf wiring gl :)
http://www.sr20-forum.com/howto-s/9138- ... mmies.html
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Thank you for the link. I don't quite know what you are saying about the downpipe though. What line ?
signals13

Post by signals13 »

Maybe you can move the AC line higher and heat wrap it (sorry for typo) lol
downpipe might be able to cut v-band off and move it further to get pipe away from AC line, you would probably have to extend the downpipe on the underside of the chassis? Just a thought.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Oh I get ya. I'd rather not touch the DP cause I've got it as centered as I could looking between the steering bar and the transmission. I'll prolly end up wrapping it and try to tie it to something lol

Finally got this crap all soldered, heat shrunk and electrical taped. The solder didn't want to stick worth a crap ! Kept balling up and rolling off the wires :angry-cussingblack:
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

There is a solder flux that does wonders on old wires. Worth the investment.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Worked on the car last 2 days, got a few things done. Words can't describe how much I HATED putting the oil pan back on, but it's on. Oil filter plate, oil feed line, oil return, turbo, wastegate, MAF (blow-through), intercooler piping, blowoff valve, manual boost controller and short shifter were installed. Everything threaded has been Teflon taped, all clamps/bolts tightened.

I have not ziptied the vacuum lines because I wanted to double check first, had a little confusion today while texting my friend as he was looking it up online.

We believe this was wrong and the lines have been changed to:
Turbo compressor port -> Tee -> bottom port of manual boost controller
boost controller side port -> bottom wastegate port
Top wastegate port left open to vent to atmosphere

leftover Tee port connected to boost gauge hose. Check out my ghetto job rigging it together :cool:

Cut the clear hose at an angle to make it easier to pop into the tee. Used needle nose pliars so it would grip more of the hose and not kink it, then shoved it into the tee. Tugged on it to make sure it was snug. Put RTV all over the tee and clear hose, then slid a short 3" piece of vacuum hose over the line and tee. Bam !
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

I still need to splice the wideband wires into the ECU harness. I bought a pack of those splice connectors, anyone have any input on these ?
drifting1two40
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by drifting1two40 »

They work in a sticky situation or if you dont have any thing else bit personally i would sauter the wires in stead of crimping just my 2 cents
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

I'd rather solder it all pro like, but honestly I don't feel comfortable/confident enough to be in a tiny area with a hot iron trying to solder thin 18 gauge wires. If they end up giving me trouble I'll have no choice though, haha.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Installed 15ft of 2 gauge wire for battery relocation. Bought a flex section for the exhaust, welded it to the downpipe, ran wideband sensor to it. Bought a distribution block from Best Buy, it was MISSING the friggin tabs that connect the main wire block to the other 2 ports. We cut flashing, folded it 4 times punched holes for the allen screws. It worked, no dropped voltage.

Good news ! It actually fired up !.... but it was leaking fuel lol. The small rubber hose under the fuel filter was dry rotted. Replaced it with some old stuff I kept. (I never touched that, so I don't count that against me :-P)

Got it started a handfull of times, idled really rough around 300-700 rpm, if I touched the gas at all it would kill the RPMs.
Unfortunately it was leaking oil halfway between the top and bottom bolts on the right side of the oil filter plate. Which really sucks because I searched all over online for a damned gasket for it but only found 1 in a 'package' that cost like 220$. So I put a ton of RTV on it. I think i'll try to find an inner tube big enough to cut a gasket out of, why wouldn't that work ? Maybe 2-3 layers

Even after stupid best buy sold me the bunk distribution block and the leak at the oil filter plate I'm not even mad. My first project car actually started after 20-30 seconds of cranking. I don't care what anyone says, I'm pretty happy/excited/proud about that. Haha

Trying to figure out how the Zeitronix and Nistune software works, it's like I'm reading chinese :-\
signals13

Post by signals13 »

signals13

Post by signals13 »

looking good bro when everything is good we need a video :) check out my page im getting pretty close too.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Help identify plugs, please.

Post by MidwestJeff »

I have no clue where these 2 plugs go to. There's just enough slack in the wire for them to plug into each other, but obviously can't because they are like identical. Have this weird feeling I'm missing something big/important.
One on the left goes to the wire loom that goes through the middle of the firewall.
One on the right goes to wire loom inside passenger front fender.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Well, got everything together, had laptop with all the nistune guide PDF files open, just downloaded a couple good looking tunes from the ECU thread. Got the laptop out to the car, set it on the passenger seat, put 5 gallons of 93 in, came back and it had a bunch of lines across the screen. Powered off, now it won't turn back on. Extremely disappointed right now.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Good news/bad news. My neighbor said I can use his laptop, but only for short amounts of time because he uses it for work. Hooked the laptop up, loaded map from ECU to nistune, changed MAF from some VQ 480hp MAF to the z32, injectors set to stock then 550. Messed around with latency/k constant and finally got it running for more than 5 second spurts. For some reason the new map I had loaded had it set at 17500, I moved up in 100 increments until it ran smooth'ish. Latency was set to 800, I googled deatschwerks and kept getting 1.10 latency values so I set it to that. Heard a bigass vacuum leak, sprayed starting fluid at the area. First thought it was the valve cover, but that's brand new, so I just drooled spit down around the injector and heard a big SLUUURP lol.

Loosened the fuel rail, took all injectors out and looked them over, no torn o-rings. Tiny little tears on 1 of the big grommets, I assumed that's what the leak was so I flipped it upside down and tried to put the rail back on. That stupid POS tab towards the back that slides onto the stud peeved me off so bad I cut that sucker off.

Restart the car, STILL had the leak. Well it turned out to be the damned intake manifold gasket, which is BRAND NEW. So I thought HEY, I'll just tighten the 2 middle bolts until the leak stops, right ? Obviously it must be my fault and I didn't tighten them enough. Since it's a BRAND F&^%^&%ING NEW GASKET, why would that leak ? Yeah well here's where I sit right now. He needs the laptop back and I have to figure out how to fix this problem.

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Oh man that sucks! Happened to me also. I eventually used pliers yo remove it. Good luck!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

I'll try the wd-40 plus torch, if that doesn't work I'll smush some jb weld into a nut and thread it :-(
Are there rubber gaskets for the intake or just the paper/cork ones ? My friend suggested spray both sides with copper spray, sound good ?
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Copper works well, but I dont think it is necessary. Did you make sure you cleaned the head and the mani mating surfaces very well? Also what gasket did you end up using?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MidwestJeff »

Both surfaces were super clean. The old gasket stuck to the upper intake when it came off, and with almost no resistance/scraping. I can't remember the name, but it was just a regular thin paper/plastic feeling stuff. I'd much rather have rubber.
Bought some copper spray, new bolt and ordered a fel-pro gasket (same paper/plastic crap I'm assuming) from advanced, should be here tomorrow.

While I had the laptop hooked up I noticed something after I loaded a 550cc .bin from 8-bit's ECU thread. The k-constant was set to like 17500 in Nistune, which I don't quite understand. That's 100% of the stock 270cc, so shouldn't 550cc be set to 204% (35050 k-constant) by default ? Also noticed when setting the latency to the manufacturer's (deatcshwerks) latency of 1.10, it would backfire like a mofo if you didn't gently accelerate, but at 800ms it would not.
MidwestJeff
Dreams of owning a 240!

Almost there. Need some help, please.

Post by MidwestJeff »

Checked the voltage to MAF, it's almost dead on and it also rises when I blew compressed air into the IC pipe.
Checked ohms to TPS, that's good.
Checked & set voltage to TPS, it's dead on. +/- 0.01
When laptop was hooked up, the only "error" in the DTC box was "55", which I googled and read that means everything is hooked up.

I'm at a complete loss as to where the leak is coming from. Seriously, any ideas would be greatly appreciated at this point. Is there a way to upload short videos here ? If I can, I will take a short clip of it if that would help.

Took fuel rail off, none of the o-rings had rips/tears. I also cut off that stupid little tab next to the FPR.
2 of the rubber grommets had the tiniest itty bitty tears on 1 side on the inside of the small hole. I flipped them over and they are on #1 & #4 injectors.
Replaced the upper intake gasket (which was new) with a new felpro, with copper spray.
New Felpro valve cover gasket, took it off, cleaned surface even more even though it was shiny clean anyway, put a small bead of RVT along the whole intake side.