The Zenki KA-T build thread!

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: The Zenki KA-T build thread!

Post by TrackStarGT »

yeah it runnin corn in this vid and about 18-19 psi, I dont know if this turbo can do much more. Also, my injectors are spiking to 90%DC at 230 kPa, which means I think Im at the max boost for these injectors. I dont know if that means that this turbo is efficient or my engine is efficient. But just doesnt seem like that much boost for 1000cc and E85. thoughts?
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

i was under the impression 1000cc on e85 wasnt all that much. i run 740s on 93 at 18# and ~75%. 1000cc is 35% greater than 740cc so on paper youd be at a similar standing which i guess you kinda are if we pretend my duty would be closer to 80 at 19psi. ***** Connecticut. were never getting corn.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

I am riding with it til it gets worse or stops the car lol. Motor is running awesome and I would hate to have to put back up on the stands so soon after getting it tuned. Speaking of riding with it. I took the car out to US129 "Tail of the Dragon" which is a semi famous road. I has a million turns and some switchback turns and some awesome banked S turns. It was the ultimate test for the car and it performed beyond my expectations! made my girlfriend sick to her stomach lol, but she was ok.

the start of the tail looks over this valley and river it is gorgeous and pics dont do it justice.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by TrackStarGT on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

On paper, yes, that sounds about right. E85 needs ~30% more volume for stoich, so ~30% smaller injectors with 93 would yield similar power assuming maxing out volume of the systems, until you add timing and compression, then e85 nets you 20%+ power. But by the BSFC calculators 500 hp at the crank can be expected from a moderately efficient engine running e85 with 1kcc injectors at 43.5 psi fuel pressure and 85%DC, I figured 500bhp was a lot of power.

240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

damn that's nice, i wish i had roads like that here. oftopic, i like the police car, what is it? s13 granny version? ahahahahaha xD. hope i get mine running up soon also and make some vids, see the difference ;-)
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Cars running awesome! Just turned 1k miles on it. Yesterday heard a new sound coming from the motor lol. Turns out all but one bolt had backed out of the t3 flange I used through bolts not studs I might got to studs though, also it's turning cold at night up here and this e85 is a bich to start gonna blend it down for the winter. Another thing, gonna have to change fuel regulators, this Chinese stuff is ****!tt, as if yall didn't know that already. Every time I crank up the motor I get to play " guess the new fuel pressure" I'll be lean one day and rich the next, fuuuuudge! only bolt/nut that didn't let loose...gonna use more of these, I used lock washers on the rest, I was testing that exhaust nut, it obviously worked like it should.
ImageImageImage

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Man traffics slow around here..

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

You're lucky that you caught it early before it completely fell off.

Now you have me paranoid...lol
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s13240 »

Thanks for sharing, im going to go check mine now lol
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

TrackStarGT wrote:Man traffics slow around here..
yup...this time of year especially. Impossible to get many newcomers when the site looks like this too its a shame
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

oh btw that landscape looks so amazing, I bet its a blast to rip the 240 up there. I thought at first those cops in the pic had pulled you over or something lol
My S14 Build Thread
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

some updates: two milestones for the car this week. First, car just clocked ~1300 miles which is just over what the last motor went before eating a bearing, still running great. But need a better tranny mount solution, it is bucking like a ball busted bronco on most shift changes, I have to baby it a little, especially when the car is heat soaked.

Second, Saturday is the one year mark for me and my speedy counterpart 8) , its been fun, frustrating, maddening, expensive, informative, rewarding, fulfilling, and many other adjectives, but all around AWESOME!! :D

Tried to race a brand new 5.0 mustang today, he knows my car(live in a SMALL town), and he wouldnt race me. haha, we went 25 milesside by side at least 5 lights at the line, every time he took off slower than a snail on a Sunday cruise. wouldnt even look at me, ha. I guess he didn't want his 30+K car smoked by my $2400 car, I cant blame him. He knows he would of lost, I suppose I would have done the same in his position. Its like a championship boxer isnt gonna let the little guy at him, because there is always a chance that he might lose, and that would just look bad and not be good for business. So, keep driving slow and think you're the fastest thing around ;)

finances are slow right now so parts will be slow as well. Parts slated for upgrade soon: Motor and trans mounts, different mid pipe, rear end change and or heavy maintenance, and coil overs...this will be slow but steady.

Just ordered a megan racing trans mount, read great reviews, hope its what I expect. Car is in severe need of stiffer mounts all around.
Last edited by TrackStarGT on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Also, I have never spent so much time doing over 100+mph, haha. It so much fun and gets that adrenaline pumping, Addicting!

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

S14wayz wrote:oh btw that landscape looks so amazing, I bet its a blast to rip the 240 up there. I thought at first those cops in the pic had pulled you over or something lol
yeah lol, he just looked over at me and smiled and said be careful. That pull off was the start of the tail of the dragon, he turned around and headed back and let me do my thing, cool cop. Oh man was it a blast, I will be doing it again really soon, want to get my hands on a go pro and film some of it.

S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

TrackStarGT wrote:
S14wayz wrote:oh btw that landscape looks so amazing, I bet its a blast to rip the 240 up there. I thought at first those cops in the pic had pulled you over or something lol
yeah lol, he just looked over at me and smiled and said be careful. That pull off was the start of the tail of the dragon, he turned around and headed back and let me do my thing, cool cop. Oh man was it a blast, I will be doing it again really soon, want to get my hands on a go pro and film some of it.
that'd be sweet to watch. I used to watch guys that filmed on "the snake" in California that photo with the cop in that pull off reminds me of it.
My S14 Build Thread
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

much needed trans mount showed up yesterday. Got home and had it "mounted" faster than it took me to even put the car on jack stands. Very easy straight forward install. Dropped the car and immediately jumped in it and took it for a spin. Here's the review of the MEGAN Racing trans mount:

So, the first thing you notice about this mount is its CONSTRUCTION. When compared to the OEM mount, it is lighter, there is less metal in the mounting bracket parts, and it is MUCH stiffer, the compound material also makes use of another attachment point, from top to bottom making a total of 3 points where the OEM has 2. APPLICATION: As you turn the key, you feel and hear the starter motor kick on with force and precision. When the motor catches and fires under its own power, it roars to life and rumbles the car emulating a ferocious tiger pawing and lowering its body ready to pounce and destroy its prey. Noise and vibration levels are dramatically increased and are very present throughout the entire RPM band. ALL sounds the car makes are amplified by this mount(Turbo, motor, trans, rear-end). Shifting and shifter play are exponentially improved, shifts are much more precise and feel like there is a gate guiding the shifter into its commanded position. The movement of the shifter is nearly non-existent and is borderline race car like.

ImageImageImage Old worn out one, this is obviously a substantial difference. The old one is cracked and torn, it was basically sitting on the topside rubber bump you see in the side profile.

Usefullness scale:
Complete comfort-------streetable-------high performance---O----Harsh unpleasant-------Race Car!

I've never had any other mount in my car, but I would gather to say that there is not much that is stiffer than this mount other than solid poly or metal. I would imagine that these are stiffer than the Nismos, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your goals and tastes.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well I went drifting in a lot tonight and lost power steering, it go boom! don't know if I burned up the pump or not. Opened the hood and tranny fluid everywhere. Can't tell where the leak came from. I have a SS braided high pressure line and that was still intact. A lot of the fluid was spayed directly on the hood and around the waste gate area. Will have to wait til daylight and some time off to investigate further to see what the actual problem is so I can repair it.

marryme240sx
NooB

Post by marryme240sx »

so sick buddy gl and keep us posted
89 240sx coupe- Money pit#2
95 240sx Zenki- Money pit #1
96 ford aspire -DD
98 BMW M3- Money pit#3
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

It was the high pressure line, the Isis SS braided line was rubbing the chassis. Once the stainless was rubbed through it just exploded under pressure. I am replacing it with a line I made up at my local race shop, black and green air line rated for insane high psi and is much thicker. I will be bracing this line with a holder of some sort because nothing is impervious to rubbing. I'll post up pics tonight

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Here's the Isis line that blew, and I found the source of the vibrating/oscillating steering wheel. I knew it had to be in the wheels, because it felt so isolated to the wheels, the car itself felt stable and none of the vibration really transferred to the car. Anyway, upon researching the issue someone mentioned wheels being off center due to hub and hub bore not matching, making the wheels lug centric which could still be way off center. Turns out the wheel were a solid 5mm off center left one was worse, I pulled all the wheels off and did the best I could by eye and it almost completely removed all vibrations, so I measured the hub and hub bore, and ordered the appropriate aluminum hub centric rings, smooth as butter now!!! However, now I'm dealing with some wicked wheel hop when on spinning tires, anyone have any ideas as to what to look into initially?

ImageImage

hpipro4
240sx Wannabe

Post by hpipro4 »

do i see just rubber hose inside that braided line?
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

yes, and that is like a $100 pre-made line, no support material. Kinda disappointing/irritating.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well, I lost the turbo today, started out as some weird metal hitting metal sounds little and quiet, then the turbo started chirping on closed throttle, then loss of power...when I lost power my heart sank, thinking I blew the motor possibly. But most of me thought it was the turbo, the motir still ran so smooth. So, did a compression check, 170-175 across all 4. Pulled the intake and BAM! Chunks of compressor missing as well as an 1/8" of material from compressor edges. So gonna pull all air piping and clean inside and out, and order a new turbo hopefully...

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

DAMN!!!

That could have been alot worse.
Glad it didn't take your engine with it.

You and that turbo seem to have a bad history.
I guess it tried to warn you that it was dangerous when it tried to escape.....lol
Image << Yuh dun know!!
jmac636

Post by jmac636 »

What turbo are you gonna try next? Nice build thread BTW.
1995 S14 daily built block nismotronics sr20det Ecu running my ka-t, synergy green S14 5.3l turbo 240sx 1/4 mile traps 135mph on 13psi and dr's.
Holset HE341 Install thread woohoo!!
viewtopic.php?t=48692
http://www.playloudclothing.com/
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Ive got an offer in on a precision 5857 with the S-cover

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well, I am very ashamed to admit this, but I bought another cheap turbo because I may have to sell the car because of a financial situation. So, I throw the cheap turbo on and in 15 minutes of operation, clank clank clank....Turbo gone. Like an idiot, i never assessed the cause of the first turbo failure, I ASSumed that it was just worn and it just didnt last long. Well, i quickly found the problem, too little oil coming fom supply hose. Im not sure why, maybe a kink? But, I am going to be replacing this hose anyway with a longer and higher quality fittings hose. And Ill go from there. I have enough good turbo parts laying around that I can still make 1 good one and try again. lol Here's a shot of the first turbo gone bad, the second looked just the same.

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Ouch.

Hopefully none of the bits or shavings made it back to the engine.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

well there is no way that could not have happened. I'm sure there was some metal travel through the motor, but small amounts of cast aluminum are gonna be relatively harmless, theyll just fly through the motor, especially with the high fluid velocities.

Anyway, update, Got it back on the road doin skids and burning cars left and right. The turbo failures were from a kinked oil feed line, it was completely my fault, due to the way I routed it. I bought one this time a foot longer so I could route it appropriately. I rebuilt the turbo with some parts from 3 garrett based ebay turbos lol. running great now for the time being.

Caveit77777
240sx Wannabe

Post by Caveit77777 »

Had I not brought my car to Motion Lab my turbo probably would've blown too. Some other shop put my bung for the return line at the bottom of the pan, had the oil line run LOWER than the pan itself and used some kind of metal bondo **** instead of welding the bung. Damn domestic builders. Only import shops and myself will touch my 240 now
1996 Zenki: Arias 8.8:1 Forged Pistons, AMS Sportsman Series Rods, Tial 38mm, 370cc, Fel-pro Gaskets, New Stock Crank, Nismo Thermo, Nismo Mounts, Dual Canister Exhaust, Walbro 255, T3/T4 Turbo, Mishimoto Rad, Isis Fans, HKS SSQV, SPL Tension Rods, GAB Revo Sport II Coilovers, Enthalpy Tuned... more to come